Moving from Sprint (HTC Evo 4G) to Verizon (Motorola Droid Razr Maxx)

Search This thread

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
I've been with Sprint for over 10 years, the last 2 of which I've had an HTC Evo 4G (rooted). I'm looking to switch over to Verizon in the next week or so and I'm leaning towards the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (unless someone has a better suggestion for a top-of-the-line Android offering). I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on how to make the switch - I have Titanium Backups for all of my apps - is it possible to restore these on the Droid Razr Maxx if I root this too? Also, I'm very used to HTC Sense on the Evo 4G - how will this impact the switchover, and is it possible to flash a Sense ROM on this new Verizon phone? Sorry if any of these questions are dumb, I've been stuck in the Sprint world for so long, I don't know what's going on outside of it. Just looking for some tips from people who've made the switch.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Reactions: Muffycheeks

ECrispy

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
I would suggest the Samsung Galaxy S3 as a better phone. You'll find a lot more rom's for it as well, in fact there's already a Sense port for the international version of the S3.

Do you use Google Voice? That will be a big change as there's no native integration like with Sprint. Your apps should restore just fine.

Reactions: dajoip

ben.nesheim

Nov 30, 2010
Duluth, MN
plus.google.com
i would also suggest the gs3 or something that is closer to the evo lte (im still a little bit of an htc fanboy tho i do admit im waiting on a gs3 to come my way). if you do use voice integration verizon doesnt have (and i dont think they will at least not with out some market influence of lots of people using it, the only other carrier rumored to be getting it is att) but if not then no biggie for ya

Pivo187

Apr 12, 2011
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx screen is ugly...THe evo 4g original has better picture quality IMO...However, Verizon network smokes SPrint anyday..

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
Thanks, I've heard of both the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Motorola Droid Razr HD as upcoming Verizon smartphones, potentially worth waiting for. However, release dates for both haven't been released yet, correct? I need a new phone/contract within the next two weeks, so I don't know if these will be an option for me.

nabeelyo

Jan 25, 2011
want to use my htc evo in pakistan on a network

can any one tell me how can i use my cellphone on my country,s network ??thr r only 2 cdma network connection available in my country what will i need ???

Pivo187

Apr 12, 2011
dajoip I would recommend you go play with it in person...my bro in law has the moto razor max. The screen is just ugly when compared to the smooth colorful screen of the EVO...I would def wait or just get the samsung its screen is a lot nice looking.

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
I'd be willing to wait, if I had a better idea of when either of these phones were going to be released...are there any indications? I checked out the Maxx last night, and while I love the idea of it's ridiculous battery, I wasn't all that excited about the phone itself...

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
I just spoke with a Verizon rep, they told me it was confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S3 would be shipping on July 10th.

bigshock

Aug 27, 2008
You see the droid incredible 4g? That is much better then the razor. Much better screen as the maxx has an ugly screen Imo. The battery is not as good as the maxx but it's really good. Sense 4.0 too.

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
You see the droid incredible 4g? That is much better then the razor. Much better screen as the maxx has an ugly screen Imo. The battery is not as good as the maxx but it's really good. Sense 4.0 too.

What makes it much better than the Maxx? I don't see too many negatives with the Maxx, and if it truly has double the battery, I think that's a huge positive...coming from the Evo for the last two years (and that being HTC), I'm skeptical of a smartphone with that small of a battery now - the battery life on it was absolutely atrocious! I'm actually hoping to wait for the Droid Razr HD to be announced/released.

Muffycheeks

May 3, 2011
I've been with Sprint for over 10 years, the last 2 of which I've had an HTC Evo 4G (rooted). I'm looking to switch over to Verizon in the next week or so and I'm leaning towards the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (unless someone has a better suggestion for a top-of-the-line Android offering). I'm looking for some advice/suggestions on how to make the switch - I have Titanium Backups for all of my apps - is it possible to restore these on the Droid Razr Maxx if I root this too? Also, I'm very used to HTC Sense on the Evo 4G - how will this impact the switchover, and is it possible to flash a Sense ROM on this new Verizon phone? Sorry if any of these questions are dumb, I've been stuck in the Sprint world for so long, I don't know what's going on outside of it. Just looking for some tips from people who've made the switch.

I've thought about going to Verizon but there phone selection is very sparse. They also recently jack-up their prices on smart-phone contracts.

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
It's not necessarily "jacked up" - I'll be on a family plan and it's actually the same price with their new prices but we'll have more minutes/data with the new structure.

oluchika

Feb 7, 2009
Southeast Georgia
Verizon is accepting pre-orders of the Samsung Galaxy S3, however they are not carrying it in store as of yet. Pricing I think is $199 for 16GB and $250 for 32GB. You can look up videos of the GS3 to see if you like it. If I had to choose, I would go with it as it is the latest phone they are offering. If anything, if you don't like it (it does look like its a huge phone), just return it within the return window. Or you could keep it until something else comes along, sell it and use the money towards purchasing whatever else comes out.

BoostmyXb

Sep 2, 2011
Or you could wait for the HTC Phablet that its supposed to come out for Verizon.
"Rumors" Don't know how solid that is.
My wife has the Razr Maxx and doesn't have any complaints other then not having ICS 4.0 yet, she charges the phone every 2 days no need for extended battery's.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Motorola + VZW + root = FAIL, the photon on sprint is a pain in the ass to unlock and sprint isn't as strict as VZW with locking bootloaders. Every device on VZW with the exception of the galaxy nexus is a pain to root. VZW didn't get a gs2 model because Samsung refused to lock up the bootloader and VZW doesn't want people rooting their devices. The only reason the nexus isn't locked up tight is because of its reputation as a developers device, and the fact Google made them sign an agreement to get the rights to have the nexus exclusively for a few months before it was released on other US carriers. Sure VZW has fast speeds, they also have capped data and prices that should be considered robbery, they might as well make you pay your bill at gunpoint. Sure, it looks comparable when you're shopping around, until you get your bill and the extra $50-80 in fees and taxes are added in. My mom is on VZW with a family plan, 4 lines, no smartphones, no data plan, unlimited minutes and text and her bill is over $300 a month. It was just around $200 when she was shopping around then after they added $85 in taxes, surcharges and fees it went up to just over $300 :eek: and their customer service is outright ****, they don't give a damn about the customers, just the customers money. They will tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get you to sign up, even if it is an outright, bold faced lie.

We are legion, for we are many.

alaman68

Nov 20, 2010
drinking under a bridge
It's not necessarily "jacked up" - I'll be on a family plan and it's actually the same price with their new prices but we'll have more minutes/data with the new structure.

actually, you will be sharing less data across numerous devices while paying a monthly access charge per device. Look very closely at the contracts and pricing, it is not a good deal and a trend I hope is not followed by other carriers.

dajoip

Jun 21, 2010
Michigan
actually, you will be sharing less data across numerous devices while paying a monthly access charge per device. Look very closely at the contracts and pricing, it is not a good deal and a trend I hope is not followed by other carriers.

Um, well I'm glad you seem to know more about my situation than I do, but I actually have looked through it, I know how much data will be shared within the plan (which is more), and I already have a quoted price and it's comparable to what we'd pay within the old structure.

I didn't ask the question in this thread to be told what a bad idea Verizon is and that I'm going to be ripped off, since I know this is an Evo and Sprint forum...I was just hoping for some helpful information about potential compatibility between rooted phones across different networks.

tommy0823

Oct 6, 2011
joliet
Um, well I'm glad you seem to know more about my situation than I do, but I actually have looked through it, I know how much data will be shared within the plan (which is more), and I already have a quoted price and it's comparable to what we'd pay within the old structure.

I didn't ask the question in this thread to be told what a bad idea Verizon is and that I'm going to be ripped off, since I know this is an Evo and Sprint forum...I was just hoping for some helpful information about potential compatibility between rooted phones across different networks.

Read up on unlocking bootloaders for motor and HTC a big red. Your best bet is Sammy.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok then, the Motorola phone is nice and pretty with a very bad bootloader and you can not flash a sense rom to a motorola phone. I promise I will never look out for your financial interests again or try to convince you that sharing 5-10 GB's across numerous devices per month is better than unlimited data.

Not to mention if you get 10gb = $100 + $40 per device, so if you have 2 lines that's $180 a month for 10gb shared between 2 lines, 3 devices = $220, 4 =$260 up to 10 devices which = $500 :eek: and then on top of that $15 for every 1kb-1gb you go over use 10gb+1kb add $15 use 10gb+1gb+1kb= $30 and so on. I guess VZW decided to just outright rape their customers while robbing them blind :rolleyes:

We are legion, for we are many.

I would suggest the Samsung Galaxy S3 as a better phone. You'll find a lot more rom's for it as well, in fact there's already a Sense port for the international version of the S3.

Do you use Google Voice? That will be a big change as there's no native integration like with Sprint. Your apps should restore just fine.
    i would also suggest the gs3 or something that is closer to the evo lte (im still a little bit of an htc fanboy tho i do admit im waiting on a gs3 to come my way). if you do use voice integration verizon doesnt have (and i dont think they will at least not with out some market influence of lots of people using it, the only other carrier rumored to be getting it is att) but if not then no biggie for ya
    dajoip I would recommend you go play with it in person...my bro in law has the moto razor max. The screen is just ugly when compared to the smooth colorful screen of the EVO...I would def wait or just get the samsung its screen is a lot nice looking.