Moving TomTom from MicroDrive to MiniSD

Search This thread

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Hi people,

Since I started to use my HTC X7500, I have TomTom Navigator 6, including all the needed stuff like maps and voices installed on the MicroDrive.
No problems there, but I now wanted to move the entire TomTom Navigator 6 from the MicroDrive to a 4GH MiniSDHC card.

I moved everything and TomTom starts and works, except for the voices. There are no voices!! The "VOICES" folder which was previously in the root of the MicroDrive, now is in the root of the MiniSDHC card, as it should.
Yet TomTom won't find any of the voices, so I can't access/use them.

When I place a copy of the "VOICES" folder to the MicroDrive again, TomTom WILL find the voices and can use them.

Now the question is, how can I get TomTom to use the voices from the "VOICES" folder on the MiniSDHC?
It obviously keeps looking for them on the MicroDrive.

I already uninstalled TomTom with removing all remaining .cfg and .ini files I could find, but after reinstalling the situation still was the same.

Thanks for the tips!! :)

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Thanks for the tip.

But what if I want to keep the entire (50MB or so) "VOICES" folder?
There should be a way to have TomTom forget about the MicroDrive and to use the Storage Card?

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Put them on the SD card, and delete the ini file in the voices folder before starting tomtom.

Unfortunately that didn't work..... still no voices when I try that.

The strange thing is that a new "voices" folder containing the "collected.ini" file appears on the MicroDrive when I've started TomTom.
I guess it @#@$! keeps looking on the MicroDrive.

More tips?

ianl8888

Dec 29, 2006
I'm using an ETEN X500, but I think the answer may be the same.

The collected.ini file, together with whichever DATA*.CHK file you choose, is by default placed on Main memory - in my case \Program Files\Navigator\voices

If you delete the collected.ini file, you can choose a new voice (the 50Mb file for which can be on your card) but TomTom will again by default store the new collected.ini + *.CHK files on Main Memory.

I've never found a way to change this behaviour, but the "voices" folder on Main Memory is about 650kb, so I live with it.

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Ok, but why is it possible to use the voices folder on the MicroDrive then??
That was my situation at first. Since I figured everything works faster when stored on the Storage Card, I decided to move everything.

The thing is that TomTom works, but that the voices are the only thing he keeps looking for on the MicroDrive.... :mad:

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
Even after the official WM6 ROM upgrade, the voices will only work when the folder is present on the MicroDrive.

Come on, there must be a way...... or not?

silviu.h

Apr 24, 2007
I think you should search for any folder names "voices" (usually in \Microdrive\voices, \storage card\voices, \program files\navigator\voices). Remove all of them, only keep the one you want to use (i.e. on the SD card). also make sure there is no "collected.ini" file left. This file will be re-creteated at the next Tomtom startup.

I believe Tomtom looks in the root folder of all memory devices (main memory, microdrive, sd card, etc.) for a folder called "voices".

Anyway, it does work for me (I have moved all tomtom stuff from the microdrive on the SD card too and it works).

S.

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
I think you should search for any folder names "voices" (usually in \Microdrive\voices, \storage card\voices, \program files\navigator\voices). Remove all of them, only keep the one you want to use (i.e. on the SD card). also make sure there is no "collected.ini" file left. This file will be re-creteated at the next Tomtom startup.

I believe Tomtom looks in the root folder of all memory devices (main memory, microdrive, sd card, etc.) for a folder called "voices".

Anyway, it does work for me (I have moved all tomtom stuff from the microdrive on the SD card too and it works).

S.

Thanks for the tip.
Tried that, ending up with the "voices" folder without collected.ini only in the root of the Storage Card.
I even deleted the navigator.cfg file from program files\navigator\ and guess what..... it didn't work!!

While running TomTom there are no voices available and when I close it again, a voices folder containing collected.ini have been created in the root of the MicroDrive and in program files\navigator again......

Then where on earth does it get its instructions from to look on the MicroDrive?? Need to kill that!!

silviu.h

Apr 24, 2007
Might be, my "old" version 6.xxx (before 6.030) couldn't event find the maps when they were elsewhere than \My documents (which caused some problems as the maps are often >150 MB). You should try to upgrade to 6.030 (besides they say that the internal GPS is managed better after tghe upgrade even though I didn't notice any improvement on this topic).

johnwalk

Dec 10, 2006
Falkirk
I had a similar problem, it didnt matter how many files i deleted or even uninstalled, it still couldnt find my post codes or voices, but after I did the upgrade to wm6, I then reinstalled tomtom direct to sd card, and now the voices are working again, I wonder if there is a hidden file somewhere that needs to be deleted.

JayRayMee.NL

Dec 17, 2005
www.rcblog.nl
SOLVED!!

Well folks,

I got my hands on the latest TomTom Navigator 6.03 and the problem has been solved. I uninstalled Navigator 6.00, moved the entire "voices" folder to the Storage Card and then installed 6.03. Works a charm!! The voices are useable on the Storage Card now.

It seems to be a real "6.00 problem", since a lot of people I know have had the same problem, as well on the HP iPAQ hx4700, which has both a SD and CF slot.

Another great thing in 6.03 is the new "Internal GPS" GPS selection feature. Just select "Internal GPS" as your GPS device and the fix and accuracy is better than ever. No trouble like COM-port or baudrate, just the setting.

Happy now!!