mp3 files mysteriously get longer duration times

Search This thread

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
p.s. i`m worried if I full rescan i`ll lose my tags... again! i also duoble checked the autotagger. it was the one I mentioned.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The rescan will cause no database or playlist harm. You use it when first setting up or after adding/removing or otherwise altering the database. I use it a lot.

Yeah, tags... don't use them. That may be the root cause of all this trouble and/or that app.
They are a menace that may not be transferable to other devices/OS loads and just waste your time. Perhaps worse?
My opinion, more hype junk. Saw Samsung cam pics had this a while back but it noted the tags aren't tranferable.
wtf? What good is that?

You could mark group and/or album folders maybe track with a letter to designate them. I don't... I use the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid! Besides discovering forgotten albums and artists in your database is fun.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
In ye olde days, MP3 was pretty easy, especially at constant bit rate.
I take an MP3 of mine, it's 4,034,270 bytes. Times 8, divided by 128000 equals 252 equals 4m 12s
It has an ID3V1 at the end.

ID3V2 has inline tags, much more complicated.

I would guess that your lyrics has messed things up.
Or are there messed up MP3s without lyrics?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I take an MP3 of mine, it's 4,034,270 bytes. Times 8, divided by 128000 equals 252 equals 4m 12s

Mp3 is my rock bottom last format choice.
Mp4's sound better generally.
Flak is great.
wav is my vast majority of music though and some of those are HDCDs which can have very good Q.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
p.s. I am worried I will lose my newly minted one at a time tags if I do what they tell me. Also I double checked the autotagger. it was the one I mentioned. left a scathing review on the app store.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
I am satisfied with the trade off of file size for sound quality with mp3`s these are for my phone so space is limited. my download source is youtube. I am restocking my music that I have lost through out my life by converting youtube music to mp3 format. From what I read converting them to flac or mp4 files will just increase the size and not the quality anyway.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
Well, we're just shooting in the wind here.
Would you care to share a corrupted MP3, the shorter, the better.

You can PM it to me and/or @blackhawk
as far as I rember they were all edited with the autotagger. then the problems began. I deleted all the problem files I have found. I am 2/3 through my list. of backed up files checking for problems. when or if I find another I will send it. I am not finding very many in the backups. there were A LOT in the phones files.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
as far as I rember they were all edited with the autotagger. then the problems began. I deleted all the problem files I have found. I am 2/3 through my list. of backed up files checking for problems. when or if I find another I will send it. I am not finding very many in the backups. there were A LOT in the phones files.
ID them, delete (if they can't be repaired easily).
The important thing is to get them out of the database.
While mp3's may sound ok now, but with a good pair of stereo speakers in open air listening the sound stage will suck. No lower bass either.
It's in part the missing inaudible high range frequencies in mp3's that kill the sound stage.

For example you can't hear 22khz or 23khz, but when those two audio waves collide they produce a very audible 1khz wave that emanates from the point of collision. That happens thousands of times a second throughout the audio spectrum, 3D. This produces the very real sound stage, it's no illusion.
Done correctly you are electro-acousticly coupled to the sound stage where it was recorded.
It's impressive, like you are there.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
where can I download this type of file? I own a ton of music but don`t own a computer with a cd-rom to rip my cd`s. that is why I am using youtube. I don`t want to buy these songs again! I like the beatles and you may know how many versions of their music has been sold and bought by me two or three times over. I don`t want to buy the let it be album for the 4th time. :)

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
where can I download this type of file? I own a ton of music but don`t own a computer with a cd-rom to rip my cd`s. that is why I am using youtube. I don`t want to buy these songs again! I like the beatles and you may know how many versions of their music has been sold and bought by me two or three times over. I don`t want to buy the let it be album for the 4th time. :)
Get a used Dell Latitude laptop. They go starting around $200. And rip away.
I have a known good US vendor.
Or ask a friend to help up in exchange for a copy of the album... win-win.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
hey blackhawk. whatr is a good backup file manager for android. all I can find either back up to the cloud (I prefer local storage) or don`t mention that they work for audio files (sms call log and apps etc... but no media)

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
hey blackhawk. whatr is a good backup file manager for android. all I can find either back up to the cloud (I prefer local storage) or don`t mention that they work for audio files (sms call log and apps etc... but no media)
Don't know as I never use cloud except for gmail.
I use the native Samsung File Manager mostly as it's easy and pretty foolproof.
Lol, I don't have time to wait for cloud storage.
A OTG flashstick is another option.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022
Don't know as I never use cloud except for gmail.
I use the native Samsung File Manager mostly as it's easy and pretty foolproof.
Lol, I don't have time to wait for cloud storage.
A OTG flashstick is another option.
neither google files or my native file manager (One Plus) has a backup option. I was using memory zone by sandisk but I was using that when the problems started and I am flabbergasted at how many of my songs didn`t come back from my back. the latest reviews for memory zone arent too good either. though none mention elongated files.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
neither google files or my native file manager (One Plus) has a backup option. I was using memory zone by sandisk but I was using that when the problems started and I am flabbergasted at how many of my songs didn`t come back from my back. the latest reviews for memory zone arent too good either. though none mention elongated files.
I only use copy/paste to transfer folders/files.
Hand sync the mess myself.
A screw up is too costly. Windows gives me better options.

Renate

Short and immediate impression:

The clean version is 3,046,701 bytes
The dirty version is 4,512,228 bytes (this is the "short" version)

Only the dirty version has the cover graphic, but it's a whopper, 1,573,900 bytes
(3046701-(4512228-1573900))/128000*8 = 6.773 seconds
The music has been truncated 6.773 seconds

The clean version has space scoped out for ID3v2 but has no metadata.

The dirty version has both ID3v1 (at the end of the file) and ID3v2 (at the beginning of the file).
The metadata is all different
ID3v2 lists the album as "The Best of the Who"
ID3v1 lists the album as "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy"

My best guess? What you used that put in ID3v1 truncated the file.
Suggestion: Don't use that.

BryanJam

Aug 2, 2022

Only the dirty version has the cover graphic, but it's a whopper, 1,573,900 bytes

The dirty version has both ID3v1 (at the end of the file) and ID3v2 (at the beginning of the file).

Suggestion: Don't use that

I`m tag editing by hand now :). Power amp won`t let me add lyrics to the tags so I`ll have to figure out the best way to do that. I have a spanish speaking wife I had added lyrics in english and spanish to all my songs using autotagger - music tag editor by sergey chuprin. I paid 7.99 for that garbage. plus weeks of my life re editing the tags. any suggestions for adding lyrics?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Poweramp has this feature via plugins.
Tags are trouble if you haven't already learned...
Screenshot_20220820-173250_Poweramp.jpgScreenshot_20220820-173258_Poweramp.jpg

Renate

Well, you fooled me. The audio in the two files is totally unrelated. There is even a speed difference between them.
The "clean" is a decent stereo mix.
The "dirty" is mono as a stereo file.

You may have a real problem with tagging, but this file doesn't prove anything.

But, there was a point to all this. I finally noticed that my left and right speakers were reversed!

• Haha

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no problems with the deep scan aand I just cleared system cache.

will see what happens now.
    p.s. i`m worried if I full rescan i`ll lose my tags... again! i also duoble checked the autotagger. it was the one I mentioned.

Suggestion: Don't use that.
    Well, you fooled me. The audio in the two files is totally unrelated. There is even a speed difference between them.
    The "clean" is a decent stereo mix.
    The "dirty" is mono as a stereo file.

You may have a real problem with tagging, but this file doesn't prove anything.

But, there was a point to all this. I finally noticed that my left and right speakers were reversed!