msm8916 - which gapps to use discussion for 19.1 roms (SM-T35x, SM-T550, SM-T560NU and SM-P550)

Search This thread

retiredtab

Nov 16, 2017
I'm NOT a gapps user so I will NOT be participating in this thread. I'm not supporting or answering any gapps project questions.

This thread is for users who want/need to run gapps with 19.1 on msm8916 tablet devices like SM-T35x, SM-T550, SM-T560NU and SM-P550.

I opened this thread as a courtesy for users who want/need gapps.

At last count there were 5 gapps projects and they are in various states of "working" wrt to 19.1. It's your responsibility to put in some hours of research to find out what gapps works for you.

All I can say is that some testers report that NikGapps 12.1L arm64 core (May 1, 2022) work. Despite the arm64 name, that version WILL work on msm8916. Your mileage may vary.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikgapps/files/Releases/NikGapps-SL/01-May-2022/

Last edited:

doctorsk

Mar 7, 2021
Gold Coast, Australia
I installed retiredtab's Lineage 19.1 on my P550. I then tried to install various GApps to see which was best (doing a clean install of lineage and then the Gapps files each time). Here's what I found:
1. Could not find any OpenGapps 12.1 to run on ARM
2. FlameGapps did not install (error: must be ARM64).
3. MindTheGapps works but seemed to really slow the P550.
4. NikGapps ARM64 Core works okay. I tried the other larger NikGapps (Basic, Omni, Stock & Full) while they installed okay the functions did not seem to be present. For example the Lineage Calendar did not get replaced by the Google calendar, Chrome did not replace Browser, etc. Perhaps they are ARM64 versions that do not run on ARM devices.
5. BiTGApps-arm-12.1.0-v1.4_signed.zip was the best I found. The first time I loaded it, the Google Play Store always showed 'Paused' but I reinstalled it (wipe everything, format, then load Lineage and BitGApps zip files together) and everything worked fine. Quite happy with the this setup !!

Reactions: usafxai

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I installed retiredtab's Lineage 19.1 on my P550. I then tried to install various GApps to see which was best (doing a clean install of lineage and then the Gapps files each time). Here's what I found:
    1. Could not find any OpenGapps 12.1 to run on ARM
    2. FlameGapps did not install (error: must be ARM64).
    3. MindTheGapps works but seemed to really slow the P550.
    4. NikGapps ARM64 Core works okay. I tried the other larger NikGapps (Basic, Omni, Stock & Full) while they installed okay the functions did not seem to be present. For example the Lineage Calendar did not get replaced by the Google calendar, Chrome did not replace Browser, etc. Perhaps they are ARM64 versions that do not run on ARM devices.
    5. BiTGApps-arm-12.1.0-v1.4_signed.zip was the best I found. The first time I loaded it, the Google Play Store always showed 'Paused' but I reinstalled it (wipe everything, format, then load Lineage and BitGApps zip files together) and everything worked fine. Quite happy with the this setup !!