MSMDownloadTool Custom ROM

Search This thread
Jul 30, 2021
Hello,

I was installing different custom ROMS for this phone, then reverted back to Stock ROM. It updated itself, and IMEI got erased somehow.

Is there any way possible to flash a custom ROM, or even custom recovery using MSMDownloadTool? I had a global version N10, so it was sim unlocked and bootloader unlockable, and I do actually have my IMEI on the back of my box, but can't put it into my phone as I have to root it. But I can't root it because the bootloader is now locked, and the bootloader is now locked because there is no IMEI......

This leaves me locked out of fastboot, so the only option is edl, which works just fine. However, only MSMDownloadTool is compatible with this mode, and it only installs Stock ROMs.

I tried extracting the .OPS files, replacing the stock recovery with twrp (and then renaming it to recovery.img), repacking the .ops then installing it. It installs, but then never boots and is just stuck in edl mode until I reflash the normal stock rom with the stock recovery.

What Do I do?

Thanks

Last edited:

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
Hello,

I was installing different custom ROMS for this phone, then reverted back to Stock ROM. It updated itself, and IMEI got erased somehow.

Is there any way possible to flash a custom ROM, or even custom recovery using MSMDownloadTool? I had a global version N10, so it was sim unlocked and bootloader unlockable, and I do actually have my IMEI on the back of my box, but can't put it into my phone as I have to root it. But I can't root it because the bootloader is now locked, and the bootloader is now locked because there is no IMEI......

This leaves me locked out of fastboot, so the only option is edl, which works just fine. However, only MSMDownloadTool is compatible with this mode, and it only installs Stock ROMs.

I tried extracting the .OPS files, replacing the stock recovery with twrp (and then renaming it to recovery.img), repacking the .ops then installing it. It installs, but then never boots and is just stuck in edl mode until I reflash the normal stock rom with the stock recovery.

What Do I do?

Thanks
If your bootloader was relocked, encryption and partition checking were enabled again.

TWRP would only cause your phone to register as modified and lock itself...and due to streamlining of a lot of functions, you can't even use the dialer to enter the menu needed.

Best you can do is totally wipe everything on your phone and generate a new android ID. (You have to do this from the actual OS instead of recovery though. Recovery format uses predetermined instructions. The format option from the android settings panel has a different set of instructions and one of them is to generate a new android ID, which includes IMEI)

Reactions: CrustyBurger33
Jul 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply, although im kinda confused by your answer. How do I generate a new android ID? (what does that even mean lol). I checked in my settings and I can't find any "format option"

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
Thanks for the reply, although im kinda confused by your answer. How do I generate a new android ID? (what does that even mean lol). I checked in my settings and I can't find any "format option"
Android ID is what determines your phone is the phone it claims to be when pinging google services.

Move any files you want to keep to somewhere safe. Format your phone, android will push you a new id number. It won't fix your IMEI, but it'll keep your phone from being absolutely useless in the process.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210730-172139.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-172139.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20210730-172145.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-172145.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20210730-172151.jpg
    Screenshot_20210730-172151.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 90

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
After your phone is formated and has booted back into the OS, you can enable adb. Adb into fastboot, use fastboot to determine if your device is still bootloader unlocked using the fastboot oem device-info command

Jul 30, 2021
After your phone is formated and has booted back into the OS, you can enable adb. Adb into fastboot, use fastboot to determine if your device is still bootloader unlocked using the fastboot oem device-info command
I tried everything you said, reset everything, still no IMEI, and even if the Android ID is different it hasn't really changed anything. Just to be clear, when I flashed the stock ROM earlier, everything worked as intended apart from the SIM card (which doesnt work at all) and the WiFi (which keeps dropping after 5 seconds of connection). Those problems persist even now.

:(

Guess I'll be messing around with the SMT mode in MSMDownloadTool since I've already lost my IMEI, see what I can do from that. If there's anything I do actually end up finding out, I'll post it on xda.

Jul 30, 2021
Update

I installed an update by download a zip, installed update via settings. System rebooted to complete update, and somehow the oem unlock option opened!!

From this point, fixing it will be pretty straight forward I think

Thanks for your help

Reactions: ninjasinabag

ninjasinabag

May 28, 2013
Philadelphia
Update

I installed an update by download a zip, installed update via settings. System rebooted to complete update, and somehow the oem unlock option opened!!

Thanks for your help
Nice! If everything is working properly besides the IMEI at this point, there's a couple of PC applications you can use.

I'd recommend write dual imei, not gonna post a link since IMEI fudging is against the rules (even if you're just trying to repair your IMEI)

Use the IMEI that's on your device sticker or on your phone packaging specifically.

Jul 30, 2021
As it turns out, it's not easy at all. My WiFi has exactly the same issue... keeps dropping, No SIM card, no baseband version. What's crazy is that I have rooted, and even repaired the IMEI via a tool. If I read the IMEI via the tool (and different ones just to be sure), they will all show the IMEI the same as the one that I wrote (which were the original ones).

But for some reason the phone still doesnt recognize it. I reboot it. Same story. The tool recognizes, the phone doesn't. I know for a fact that the issue cannot be hardware, at least for WiFi. If it was, it wouldn't connect to any network, but it does, and then disconnects after a few seconds. I think I have been all over every post on the internet regarding this issue, but still no luck.

nightfury04

Nov 29, 2014
As it turns out, it's not easy at all. My WiFi has exactly the same issue... keeps dropping, No SIM card, no baseband version. What's crazy is that I have rooted, and even repaired the IMEI via a tool. If I read the IMEI via the tool (and different ones just to be sure), they will all show the IMEI the same as the one that I wrote (which were the original ones).

But for some reason the phone still doesnt recognize it. I reboot it. Same story. The tool recognizes, the phone doesn't. I know for a fact that the issue cannot be hardware, at least for WiFi. If it was, it wouldn't connect to any network, but it does, and then disconnects after a few seconds. I think I have been all over every post on the internet regarding this issue, but still no luck.

Hi I have a similar problem.. My phone oneplus 8t is stuck in 'SMT Download failed error' mode. I was tryimg out custom roms which has caused this. My phone says can only be fixed via SMT Download mode. Can you help me out using the SMT download mode? I have tried MSM Tool normally to unbrick my phone but it doesn't work.

Jul 30, 2021
hello @nightfury04

If you have a Oneplus 8T you have to download the appropriate MSMDownloadTool (specifically for it) and make sure the version is correct too. Is your phone global/ locked to a carrier?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

What Do I do?

Thanks
    If your bootloader was relocked, encryption and partition checking were enabled again.

TWRP would only cause your phone to register as modified and lock itself...and due to streamlining of a lot of functions, you can't even use the dialer to enter the menu needed.

Best you can do is totally wipe everything on your phone and generate a new android ID. (You have to do this from the actual OS instead of recovery though. Recovery format uses predetermined instructions. The format option from the android settings panel has a different set of instructions and one of them is to generate a new android ID, which includes IMEI)
    Android ID is what determines your phone is the phone it claims to be when pinging google services.

Move any files you want to keep to somewhere safe. Format your phone, android will push you a new id number. It won't fix your IMEI, but it'll keep your phone from being absolutely useless in the process.
    Update

Thanks for your help