Mstar S700 (Review) 5.5" HD, Touch ID, MTK6752, 4G LTE, Android 5.0, 2GB RAM/16GB ROM

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
And the push up notifications,camera and WiFi and 3G works good?
3G and 4G works just fine! To be honest, with the stock rom, i could barely catch the 4g speed, but right now i can say it is much much better. I havent tried camera very much but it works just like the stock rom, i havent checked the images very deeply tho. Wifi also doesnt have problem. It is almost like a stock rom but deodexed. The owner of the rom claims he disabled the battery drain caused by some heavy apps. I deffinately see the difference. I am also leaving the telephones network as 4G (MEANS 2G/3G/4G auto) and should eat more battery, but not! Before i had to leave the network as 2G to save more battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solutionman

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
the solution i posted really works.. it has got a great deepsleep and much better battery usage. lets say %15 better. it is better than nothing! the only cons i found is there is no s-cover setting in display part, so you cant use the original s-cover clock case with the rom i posted.

Solutionman

Jul 8, 2015
I will upload the rom somewhere and share the link here
and after just flash by sp flash tools. thats all
Hi Summerbreeze,
I've got a brandnew Mstar S700 and I'm trying desperately to root it! I think I'll never buy another phone from any manufacturer that makes rooting so hard for the owner! I could work easily with MTKdroid-tools - but it's the first time that I work with SPFT.
And so far it seems far mor complicated and didn't work so far ( I followed your step by step instruction, had the "handshake" - but after reconnecting the phone to the PC there was no "progress" at all...)
So if you could upload the completed ROM (and maybe even the tutorial video) you'll find another raving fan in me for your support...! ;)
Thanks in advance for any help!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

The thing is said:
It this post you mention the method Format (All) + Download - in your step by step explanation you say Firmware Upgrade.
Since I'm a newby with SPFT some more details might help me...
Thanks in advance!

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
Hi Summerbreeze,
I've got a brandnew Mstar S700 and I'm trying desperately to root it! I think I'll never buy another phone from any manufacturer that makes rooting so hard for the owner! I could work easily with MTKdroid-tools - but it's the first time that I work with SPFT.
And so far it seems far mor complicated and didn't work so far ( I followed your step by step instruction, had the "handshake" - but after reconnecting the phone to the PC there was no "progress" at all...)
So if you could upload the completed ROM (and maybe even the tutorial video) you'll find another raving fan in me for your support...! ;)
Thanks in advance for any help!

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

It this post you mention the method Format (All) + Download - in your step by step explanation you say Firmware Upgrade.
Since I'm a newby with SPFT some more details might help me...
Thanks in advance!
hi my friend
I have finished packing the rom and uploadeded, tonight hopefuly i will write a tuttorial for it.
It is actualy very easy to root the phone. You will just flash the rom and it will be rooted automaticly aswel. If the phone is not recognized by pc, you must be sure that you installed the drivers.
Here is the drivers :
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dv8il5vv8bdv9t8/Drivers-V2.0.zip

For this, extract them and plug the phone tp pc by usb cable when the phone is on.and from device manager(first find the problematic device shown as yellow color or question mark and click on it and update drivers), browse them and install. if it doesnt work. try a few times. also try turning thr pc off and on

Last edited:

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
Ok guys, hope it will be helpful for every mstar s700 owner.

1) Please download the drivers/extract them and install via ''computers device manager''. Because it is not an .exe file, so please plug your device to your pc by your usb cable and wait a bit. It will install some drivers by windows but 1 driver wont. So please go to device manager, find the problematic(yellow marked or question marked) line and update the driver by ''browse from my computer'' option and find your extracted drivers file. This is for the users who havent installed the drivers yet. If you did already, skip this step.
Download the drivers from THIS LINK

2) Download the rom from THIS LINK
Extract it somewhere you can find easily later.

3) Download the SP FLASH TOOLS from THIS LINK
Extract it somewhere you can find easily later.

4) Please go to settings/phone information and write your imei numbers somewhere down. Because after flashing rom, You will lose these information. No worries, it is easy to recover. You can find your imei numbers also under the battery or on your retail product box. Remember also flashing this rom will erase your all other data, so please back them up.

5) Please turn the phone off, remove the battery, your sim card(s) and sdcard.

6) Now run flash_tool.exe from SP FLASHTOOL folder, it may first time give an error since the android scatter file not attached yet. Pretty normal. Ignore it and go on.
Now click *scatter loading* icon from the right(a yellow file icon) and browse your ROM FILE and pick the *android scatter file (a .txt file)*. The program now will list some lines colored green and white. You will also see a little above-left side, an aroma menu that give you a few options, and here you must pick *FORMAT ALL + DOWNLOAD*
Just like this example screenshot and for last, please CLICK the DOWNLOAD ICON (with green arrow) that placed on the very top.

7) This is the time you need to plug your phone to the PC. Remember that the battery must be removed.
When you do this, SP FLASH TOOL will start firstly formating the partitions, create a full 12,5 gb partition and then start flashing the firmware for your phone. You will see all these happening with an indicating bar placed on the down part of the software. Once it is completed, you will see a smilar screen LIKE THIS

8) Now quit from the sp flash tool, and also unplug the phone from pc. Place your sim card(s), sd card and battery back and turn the phone on. The first boot may be a bit long that is very normal.

9) This is the part about how to recover your imei data back. When you turn the phone on, you will see a notification saying INVALID IMEI on the system bar. Now please follow these steps :

1. Go to Engineering Mode with this code * # * # 3646633 # * # *
Please type this code above, call pad
2. Engineering Mode will be shown on your phone screen
3. Go to Connectivity and then CDS information
4. Go to Radio information
5. then go to Phone1 (For the first IMEI No)
6. At the top there is a command line which begins "AT+" just type there "AT +EGMR=1,7,"IMEI_1" (Instead of IMEI_1 put your first IMEI No) (Please see the ''space'' between ''AT'' and ''+'')
7. Hit send command
8. If you done, do the same steps for IMEI_2
9. Please go back from that screen and select "Phone2"
10. And enter the code "AT +EGMR=1,10,"IMEI_2" (Instead of IMEI_2 put your second IMEI No) (Please see the ''space'' between ''AT'' and ''+'')
11. Hit send command
12. Reboot your phone. You will see, your network and imeis will be back :)
A new interface will welcome you.. Cos it is based on 5.1 lolipop. Icons, launcher and some apps, wallpapers etc have been changed. All bloatware gone and apps have been deodexed. It is prerooted by supersu and also custom CWM recovery :)
The battery drain and deep sleep issues have been solved and has a better battery consumption. Some usefull apps have been added. init.d support and build.prop optimizations have been added as well.. Overall it is a good and fast rom IMO. I havrnt found a bug yet.. But your experiences may varry and opinions can be more different of course..

I would like to mention again, this is not my rom.. But it is my invention by mixing some roms together.. Bypassing the issues etc. I would like to thank to the rom owner again and again.. Hope the tutorial will help you to at least test the rom and share your experiences. Please hit the THANKS button if you think i have helped you..

regards

Solutionman

Jul 8, 2015
Thanks a lot for yout effort!
But I flashed your "mixed ROM" already with the official way (shown in the video on the Mstar homepage).
And the IMEI-numbers were kept as well...
It worked so far and the device is rooted and the included apps are really usefull (I just added directly Titanium Backup to recover all my apps etc., LBE Security Master and Kernel Audiutor).
But unfortunately there is still no Deepsleep (!), the sound is still poor and the GPS seems to work worse (but I had the same experience after installing a custom ROM on my Redmi 1S).
I really hope you continue the good work and are coming up with even better solutions in the future! ;)

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
Thanks a lot for yout effort!
But I flashed your "mixed ROM" already with the official way (shown in the video on the Mstar homepage).
And the IMEI-numbers were kept as well...
It worked so far and the device is rooted and the included apps are really usefull (I just added directly Titanium Backup to recover all my apps etc., LBE Security Master and Kernel Audiutor).
But unfortunately there is still no Deepsleep (!), the sound is still poor and the GPS seems to work worse (but I had the same experience after installing a custom ROM on my Redmi 1S).
I really hope you continue the good work and are coming up with even better solutions in the future! ;)
hello
thanks for feedback. But i am sure if you followed the steps from the beginning till the end, you would have a better result i guess.
The official way can be different and maybe not formatting properly? And i have deffinately a great deep sleep. Also be sure that when you lleave the phone to deep sleep, dont keep any active app that can drain the battery and stıll keep the phone up (screen ıs off but stıll workıng at behind)
I did my best to help, home some other people can do better works and we sort the problems properly in the future
I am hoping also some others to try and give their feedbacks. Then we can have a better conclusion.

Last edited:

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
I have flashed the rom again to test :)
After flashing, i charged it until 100 percent and leave it to deep sleep (i didnt install any app yet)
In 7 hours, only 1 percent gone.. For this device, pretty good (remember it has only 2400-2500 mAh battery though advertised as 3000 mah..)
If you dont call this as a good deep sleep and battery usage? i really dont know what else we can do :)

Last edited:

Solutionman

Jul 8, 2015
Deep Sleep

I have flashed the rom again to test :)
After flashing, i charged it until 100 percent and leave it to deep sleep (i didnt install any app yet)
In 7 hours, only 1 percent gone.. For this device, pretty good (remember it has only 2400-2500 mAh battery though advertised as 3000 mah..)
If you dont call this as a good deep sleep and battery usage? i really dont know what else we can do :)
I only checked the CPU-Activity with apps like CPU-Spy and Kernel Audiutor which show you exactly the percentage for every CPU-frequency used (from 1690 MHz down to 468 MHz and Deep Sleep).
And until this morning Deep Sleep has never been used...
But this morning I had Deep Sleep for the first time... :good: ;)

Thanks again for your effort!

P.S.: I checked the capacity of the battery - and it's 2600 mAh maximum charge....

Reactions: SUMMERBREEZE

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
I only checked the CPU-Activity with apps like CPU-Spy and Kernel Audiutor which show you exactly the percentage for every CPU-frequency used (from 1690 MHz down to 468 MHz and Deep Sleep).
And until this morning Deep Sleep has never been used...
But this morning I had Deep Sleep for the first time... :good: ;)

Thanks again for your effort!

P.S.: I checked the capacity of the battery - and it's 2600 mAh maximum charge....
Please also uninstall the apps that u can easily install later and then install wakelock detector from google play.
Charge the phone until 100 percent. Close the apps which are working behind by pressing long the home button (the one in the middle) and start the wakelock detector app and leave it to deep sleep.. And check the activities in the morning. It will show u which apps kept the battery busyand the screen busy and which of them ruined thr deep sleep and keep the the device still working at behind... and after that, install GREENIFY app and freze these apps to wake the device during deep sleep.
For sound, it is i think the hardware issue, it never had a good volume quality.. Maybe you can install some apps to make the sound better? for me the sound is enough.. For GPS, i dont have a problem yet.. It was difficult to lock the satalites at first time but later it worked well.. i cant say it has a super gps antenna but if you think about the price tag of this device, we must accept the fact that we cant get everything we want as perfect.. yes? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Solutionman

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
Guys, we made a decision and bought this device. We knew its pros and cons..
Although it has almost no support from the company and no custom rom developer..
It is hard to say but we are on our own :)
So we will accept this device as it is and try our best to solve the issues step by step..
I paid 111 usd for it inc free shipping and no custom tax.. Am i happy? Yes.. thats it! :)
Please write this devices specifications on a paper and change the name as Samsung and guess how much it would be on market.. no more word to say..
So use it as much as you can, enjoy it and then sell it to someone and buy another device :)

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

by the way i forgot to say.
I bought this case 15 days ago and delivered today. Not bad at all..
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Case...ar-S700-5-5-inch-Fundas-Card/32471761779.html
You know there are not many cases for this device (like no support and no developer! :D )

Last edited:

Solutionman

Jul 8, 2015
If you consider the price, you're absolutely right- and it feels very good in the hand, too...:good:
As I said, I improved the sound a lot by flashing Dolby Atmos (from xda-developers)!
It seems to have a problem by switching automaticly from WLAN to UMTS so - and therefore sometimes doesn't get UMTS before I switch off the WLAN... Anyone else such problems...?

And which solution did you find to compensate for the missing LED...?
I tried NoLED and it worked good - but the battery-drainage was terrible...

SUMMERBREEZE

Oct 3, 2010
ISTANBUL
If you consider the price, you're absolutely right- and it feels very good in the hand, too...:good:
As I said, I improved the sound a lot by flashing Dolby Atmos (from xda-developers)!
It seems to have a problem by switching automaticly from WLAN to UMTS so - and therefore sometimes doesn't get UMTS before I switch off the WLAN... Anyone else such problems...?

And which solution did you find to compensate for the missing LED...?
I tried NoLED and it worked good - but the battery-drainage was terrible...
You mean the notofication led right? I used this app and it worked good but later disabled it. so cant comment about the battery life
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ledblinker
If you can afford, purchase the full app so it will give you more things.

the sound is related to the hardware.. whatever we do, it wont be great cos it is not a great speaker builted in.. for me it is quite ok, i can hear it almost eveywhere.. to be honest i dont use my phone for media uses. i have a good Teclast tablet for it.

I dont have a clue about switching data internet / wifi internet.. i mostly switch from 2G to 4G and always works. (i keep it as 2g to save more battery)

also i almost have lost my faith to this topic since it is not active at all.. nobody is interested.. i think i am good with the phone like that right now and i dont need anymore improvement. I will propably sell my device to a friend maybe after 1 year and get meizu or xiomi for better support.

Solutionman

Jul 8, 2015
"S-Cover" / Quick-Circle Function

the only cons i found is there is no s-cover setting in display part, so you cant use the original s-cover clock case with the rom i posted.
I got the original "Quick-Circle" / "s-cover clock case" from Mstar and it's working with this ROM!
I can even switch between the clock and the music-player - but I could't find any settings to change the clock etc.
Anyone else the same experience? Any hints for the settings...?