• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MTCD/E] Android 10 upgrade using official Free tools

Search This thread

bbarnes1

Dec 2, 2008
I used OTG to update my recovery using the px5 a9 image in preparation for hal9k. I had to erase flash, but then it flashed the image. It booted to a9 recovery once.

Now it just black screens on power up and windows can't see it, can't get to recovery. Whoops. Now what

Last edited:

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
I used OTG to update my recovery using the px5 a9 image in preparation for hal9k. I had to erase flash, but then it flashed the image. It booted to a9 recovery once.

Now it just black screens on power up and windows can't see it, can't get to recovery. Whoops. Now what

Thought about flashing the entire Android 9 .img and then the OTA you want?

bbarnes1

Dec 2, 2008
Id be happy to try, but I can get back to recovery or a state that my PC recognizes the head unit

bbarnes1

Dec 2, 2008
Ok. I was finally able to get back to maskrom. I then used OTG upgrade to get a stock android 10 image loaded (could find 9). It looks to be working.

Sure wish fastboot was accessible in recovery like a phone so I could just boot customer recoveries.

Reactions: marchnz

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
Ok. I was finally able to get back to maskrom. I then used OTG upgrade to get a stock android 10 image loaded (could find 9). It looks to be working.

Sure wish fastboot was accessible in recovery like a phone so I could just boot customer recoveries.

MASKROM - always recover, yes, unless there is some sort of hardware damage, such as dead chips.

luix81

Apr 29, 2014

[FIXED] A. SDcard Method: Black Screen rebooting with SDCard made with SDDiskTool.

It worked for my px5 KSP updated to Android 9 with Hal9k mod v4. ¿ @marchnz Can you link this solution?
I think the root problem is the upgrade tool or the rom of Android 9 (Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_9.0)
* Use your version files px3/px5/px6

1. Downgrade to Android 8:
    1a. Flash the recovery with SDDiskTool_v1.69, the file: Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_8.0 (replace sdupdate.img with the zipped one)
    1b. Reboot with the SDCard, and in Android 8 Recovery, Flash Android 8 OTA
    (from Yandex Disk, I used KSP_PX5_8.0_ota(20180418))

2. Update to Android 10:
    - Flash with SDDiskTool Android 10 img file (from Yandex Disk, I used CHS7_PX5_10.0_IMG(20200603).zip, not use PX5_A10_IGV.img).
    - Reboot with this SDCard and update to Android 10.

3. Other updates:
    Now you can install other Android 10 updates with the normal method (update.zip).

Source Solution here from @m33ts4k0z
I had the same experience last night. After I successfully updated from A8 to A10, I wanted to test some things and I tried to downgrade from A10 to A9. I didn't succeed directly, getting black screen, but I used Hal9k zip files that allow you to only flash the recovery for A8 and A9 and I was able to flash using OTA (update.zip) afterwards. Still when I wanted to get back to A10 from A9 I was geting black screen again.. After a lot trial and error, I succeeded by installing A8 and then using the img file (CHS2_RK3399_10.0_IMG (20200424)). That worked as it initially did. Tricky.
The files you are looking for are called:

Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_8.0 and
Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_9.0

for flashing the respective recovery for A8 and A9. Hal9k has unfortunately not released A10 recovery as a flashable img file for SDDiskTool for free. You need instead to buy his mod installer pro 2 which will of course make things a lot easier and supports A8,A9 and A10 using OTA(update.zip) files.

Try these steps and let us know:

Flashing the files included in Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_8.0 and then use the CHS2_RK3399_10.0_IMG (20200424) img file.

I haven't tried that directly but what I tried and worked was to:

First flash Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_8.0, then flash an OTA A8(whichever version, it doesn't matter), and then flash the CHS2_RK3399_10.0_IMG (20200424) img file.

Note that I tried these steps on PX5 but it should be fairly similar for PX6. Try these and see if it works

PS: The reduced recovery images in this thread didnt work for me, thats why I used the solution I described.

Monolithus

Mar 24, 2013
www.facebook.com

[FIXED] A. SDcard Method: Black Screen rebooting with SDCard made with SDDiskTool.

It worked for my px5 KSP updated to Android 9 with Hal9k mod v4. ¿ @marchnz Can you link this solution?
I think the root problem is the upgrade tool or the rom of Android 9 (Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_9.0)

1a. Flash the recovery with SDDiskTool_v1.69, the file: Hal9k_Mod_3.x_upgrade_to_Android_8.0 (replace sdupdate.img with the zipped one)

2. Update to Android 10:
    - Flash with SDDiskTool Android 10 img file (from Yandex Disk, I used CHS7_PX5_10.0_IMG(20200603).zip, not use PX5_A10_IGV.img).

3. Other updates:
    Now you can install other Android 10 updates with the normal method (update.zip).

So I'm tryign to flash A8 Recovery from your steps but I have error. I put SD Card in GPS slot, reboot and then this:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

domofra

Jan 28, 2020

2. Update to Android 10:

3. Other updates:

I've installed Android 8, but when I put the SD with the image of Android 10, the screen remains black on restart and does nothing. I have changed cards, done a thousand times and nothing. It is impossible.

domofra

Jan 28, 2020
Restoring the PX5 MTCE device on the 10 android.
Also, using this method, go from 6-8-9 android to 10 android.
I want to warn you: Everything that you do, you do at your own peril and risk.

Create bootable SD card 10 Android PX5.
Important!!! : very demanding on the type of SD card !! I started installing the firmware when I changed 5 different SD cards from different manufacturers !!!!!
1. Unzip the bootable_sd_card_10_android_PX5 archive to C:/ disk on a laptop or computer.
2. Run SD_Firmware_Tool.exe (as administrator)
3. Select the firmware in .IMG - update_10_android_zavod_PX5.img
4. Click on the Create button.
5. After creating the SD card, insert it into the device and reboot it. The firmware installation will start automatically. Installation will take a very long time, about 40-60 minutes !!!!!
Restoring a SD card after restoring the device:

Download: https://mega.nz/file/chwAVI4A#_DHfhpxGEnswyhTk1K4tjps5ohS64N5Cjz0GQOLMVsU
In the end with this method I did it at once. At first it gave me an error with a couple of cards, until the third one already worked and with a single step, I installed A10.

Aussi

Oct 29, 2007
Utrecht
Xiaomi Mi A3
Hi Guys needs some help getting to android 10 with my Dasaita PX5.

So far Ive tried alot of approaches with the SD card methode.
Coming from Hal9K android 8 or 9 recovery mod. And with or without an installed OTA.

Tried about 6 SD cards. Of which 4 of them give the black screen after rebooting.

but 2 cards ( 4 and 8 gb ) seem to be 'ignored' and the device just boots to the system?
Are those 2 cards maybe the key to a success because of me doing something wrongly?

I have created the sd with SD disk tool v1.62 with the following full image : CHS7_PX5_10.0(20200603)\update.img
As mentioned in replies above here

I think the next approach would be to get the head unit out of the car and update it through OTG cable, ive tried an A-A male cable ( self made ) but it didnt show in tool.

got a question about that. Does the whole head unit need to be supplied by power?
Or only the SoM part which I see on the pictures?

If its only the SoM, than aftere the procedure its only to re install SoM in the radio and Android 10 has been installed and other Roms can be installed?

ikerg

Dec 19, 2007
Hi Guys needs some help getting to android 10 with my Dasaita PX5.

So far Ive tried alot of approaches with the SD card methode.
Coming from Hal9K android 8 or 9 recovery mod. And with or without an installed OTA.

Tried about 6 SD cards. Of which 4 of them give the black screen after rebooting.

but 2 cards ( 4 and 8 gb ) seem to be 'ignored' and the device just boots to the system?
Are those 2 cards maybe the key to a success because of me doing something wrongly?

I have created the sd with SD disk tool v1.62 with the following full image : CHS7_PX5_10.0(20200603)\update.img
As mentioned in replies above here

I think the next approach would be to get the head unit out of the car and update it through OTG cable, ive tried an A-A male cable ( self made ) but it didnt show in tool.

got a question about that. Does the whole head unit need to be supplied by power?
Or only the SoM part which I see on the pictures?

If its only the SoM, than aftere the procedure its only to re install SoM in the radio and Android 10 has been installed and other Roms can be installed?
Only the SoM. As you are using a rockchip flashed tool. After that you will have the android rom you swlected to flash into your unit. Just plug the unit and wait for the ROM to start the first time (it is longer than the next times)

Aussi

Oct 29, 2007
Utrecht
Xiaomi Mi A3
Only the SoM. As you are using a rockchip flashed tool. After that you will have the android rom you swlected to flash into your unit. Just plug the unit and wait for the ROM to start the first time (it is longer than the next times)
Thanks for the reply.
So I will be need to flash the full Android 10 image from Yandisk site and afterwards can try Hal9K rom or Malasyk rom

And if I read the previous post good. The SoM will be powered by the USB of the laptop ( hopefully )?

Gonna try it out this weekend , hopefully the SoM is connect through header / pins :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To upgrade a MTCD/E PX3, PX5, PX6 from Android 6+ on using official Rockchip free tools - a reminder, bringing together multiple threads.

First note - if coming from Android 6 - early versions of Realtek dual BT/WIFI (type 2) are not supported past Android 6.
    [29/06/2020 - Android 10 - Users are report Bluetooth MD725 Type 1 is not working on Android 10...]

The only fix is to replace the wifi/bt module with the supported "type 1" GOC-MD-725. See this thread for details (placeholder)

Risk:
    Also, there is risk associated in upgrading. The SDCard method is known to result in back-screen, sometimes recoverable booting to recovery from SDcard again. If this method fails, OTG becomes the only recovery option.

Two Rockchip Official methods;

A. SDcard Method
    Note: To use these methods, your unit must support booting from SDCard or USB. Not all MTC variants are created the same, so test first.

The following is required for SDcard method
    - (1) Full ROM in .IMG format
    OR
    - (1b) bootloader/recovery only image to flash recovery,
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr
    AND
    - a 'full' OTA of your choice.
    - Rockchip SDCard create tool
    https://github.com/rockchip-linux/tools

1. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool.

2. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.
    3. Wait for install to complete...and can take some time

(1b) Flash boot/recovery image then an OTA zip. Thanks to @ikerg for recovery .IMG files.
    2b. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool with .img

3b. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.

4b. After flashing, remove SDCard, boot to recovery then flash an OTA from another SDCard or USB stick.

* Download bootloader/recovery flash image from here; https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr

B. OTG method - "Never fail, flash like a Boss, impress your friends method"
    *May require Jig, or if lucky an USB A-A cable.)
    The below method will recover a 'bricked' or non-booting unit.
    If wanting to backup your ROM and test other ROMs, this is the method you want.

The following is required:
    - ROM in .img format, or partiton extract
    - Android Tool and Driver:
    https://github.com/rockchip-linux/tools

1. Install Rockchip driver and Android Tool on PC/Laptop.

2. First try connecting your unit USB to USB using cable to PC. Try all headunit USB ports.

3. Try entering recovery. If successful you will hear the new device chime on your PC and the headunit will be connected.
    If connecting via USB method does not work, a jig must be made. See the following thread for details: https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...px3-5-headunit-mod-recover-flash-som-t3766892

4. Using Android Tool connected via USB - Flash SOM using .img file. If image file does not install, erase flash first after selecting .img file.

C. Downgrading steps here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ing-official-free-tools.4123933/post-85473141

Hope this thread clarifies the two free and official methods to upgrade your headunit. Enjoy.

29/06/2020 - Update - Users reporting MD725 - Type 1 Bluetooth is not working on Android 10.
    28/07/2020 - Update - include bootloader/recovery plus OTA method from IMG files kindly created by the talented @ikerg .

29/06/2020 - Update - Users reporting MD725 - Type 1 Bluetooth is not working on Android 10.

March 2021 - Update - BT module found - HW upgrade to enable Android 10 upgrades. See my module thread.

August 2021 - SD Card Downgrade steps - from A10, A9 using A8 for success.

Note: Best, most successful risk free method - OTG
    I will share some reduced images for recovery upgrade only....after upgrading the recovery you can upgrade to the latest OTA
    This process should be faster than upgrading with a 2.5 gb image from sdcard...as once rexovery is upgraded (70MB image) you can use the usb for upgrading to the latest ota image you downloaded
    Android 8, 9 and 10 for px5 & px6 (only android 9 and 10. No android 8 is available for px6) can be downloaded and selected within sd boot card program.

I haven't tried them yet as my px5 has md725 chip and currently my car with px6 is on service
    @marchnz if you consider appropriate, you can add this link to the OP....
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
    Attention HCT7_rk3399_10.0_IMG (20200415).zip is on PX6. Because you write that you have PX5, use: HCT7_PX5_10.0_IMG (20200612):

You can try according to Alex's (Ati_gangster) video, everything is perfectly described here. I recommend watching all his videos, they are perfect. On a professional level. The link to RockChip Disk Tool V1.62 is below the video.But only Windows

The procedure for updating from the SD card is here. Everything you need can be found under the video.