[MTCD/E] Android 10 upgrade using official Free tools

Search This thread

hashssj

Mar 18, 2009
Updated to Android 10 using SD card method on Dasita PX5 MTCD, but sound is only coming out of driver side speakers. In Amplifier if I try moving zones around like fully to passenger side makes no difference. Also latest MCU and have tried other ROM's. Would anyone have suggestions or should I try downgrading back to Android 9

Looks to have been a sudden fault in car as original headunit same fault.

Last edited:

nhadrian

Feb 12, 2022
My update.zip has this content:

1645849872772.png

Can it somehow being used for SD-card or USB recovery?

ikerg

Update.zip are OTA updates and they don't contain the recovery partition for a full upgrade from sdcard.
If you want just to upgrade keeping the same android version you can use it on the recovery menu or directly by means of upgrade system option in settings

ikerg

@marchnz
I have re read your instructions for usbA to usbA cable and I think I found why some people can connect and others don't....this is because adb protocol is not enabled by default on some ROMs....
Once connected the usbA from PC to usbA to the single USB cable port of the headunit....open the rockchip tool...nothing is detected.
Go to factory settings and put as password adbon and voilá device is detected as adb device....pressing the switch button it changes to loader mode and in that mode the firmware can be uploaded.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
@marchnz
I have re read your instructions for usbA to usbA cable and I think I found why some people can connect and others don't....this is because adb protocol is not enabled by default on some ROMs....
Once connected the usbA from PC to usbA to the single USB cable port of the headunit....open the rockchip tool...nothing is detected.
Go to factory settings and put as password adbon and voilá device is detected as adb device....pressing the switch button it changes to loader mode and in that mode the firmware can be uploaded.

Hi,
Also, some units, at least the JY I have, the USB hardware doesn't support it - the factory leaves out components that are required to enable switching/OTG support - probably to reduce cost.

Perhaps the newer HA units support OTG and I know GS units that I have seen, also support OTG out of the box.

In any case, making your own jig is simple enough with basic electronic skills. Also, the SOM must be removed if maskrom is needed.

Reactions: ikerg and rigattoni

ikerg

Hi,
Also, some units, at least the JY I have, the USB hardware doesn't support it - the factory leaves out components that are required to enable switching/OTG support - probably to reduce cost.

Perhaps the newer HA units support OTG and I know GS units that I have seen, also support OTG out of the box.

In any case, making your own jig is simple enough with basic electronic skills. Also, the SOM must be removed if maskrom is needed.
it could be....anyway....here you are a reduced image for Android11 upgrade;

jnshk

Jan 20, 2014
Hello, I wanted to test out the new Vivid rom on one of my Dasaita units, but have run into a hiccup.

Background:

The unit is a PX6 (1024x600) running the "stock" HA Max10 rom on Android 10 (build # RK3399-userdebug 10 QQ2A.200305.004.A1 eng.hct.20200609.160238 test-keys), MCU version MTCE_HA_V3.56_1. When attempting to "update" the rom via the usual means (OTG USB stick with the OTA update file for Vivid), it gives me the following error:
"assert failed: update_dynamic_partitions(package_extract_file("dynamic_partitions_op_list")) E:error in /mnt/usb_storage/update.zip (status 7) Installation aborted."

Apparently this is common when trying to go from Android 9 to 10, but since I'm already on Android 10 is seems unusual. I was able to use the USB stick method to update to a more recent version of the Max10 rom (HA3_rk3399_10.0_ota-20220120), but I can't seem to get it to convert over to the Vivid or Scout roms. When I compared the "dynamic_partitions_op_list" files between the Max10 and Vivid roms, I can see that the the "grow partition"/"resize system" values are different, and that appears to be what is causing the issue.

So it was suggested to me that I try to use a PC and flash the unit directly via OTG cable or jig, which brings me to the...

Current situation:

I would like to attempt to flash the Vivid rom to the unit (although I'm still waiting on my USB A-A cable to arrive sometime later today), but would like to make sure that I am prepared. As I understand it, the OTA update files will not work for flashing via OTG cable, and I will need to flash the unit with a complete IMG file first, correct? Since there do not appear to be any full IMG files for Vivid, I would have to use the generic "HCT7_rk3399_10.0_IMG(20200415)" first, and then "update" the system to Vivid using the OTA file?

I've downloaded a few of the tools mentioned in this thread, but am not 100% sure of the preferred steps for using them. It seems that the "RK3xxx_firmware_tools_5.78.35.00" is the most recently recommended application. I've opened the software to have a look, but I assume that it won't really be functional until it detects the RockChip unit has connected, right?
I see options for the firmware:
- "open project folder" which seems to result in an "uncorrect project folder" error any time I click it. Does this get populated once an img is selected and extracted?
- "select img" which seems to be where I would choose the full image file that I have downloaded and want to flash to the unit?
- "extract" which I assume unpacks the img file into a structure of files and folders on the PC, which could then be tweaked if necessary?
- "build" which I assume would then take the modified files and repack them to an img file?
- "flash" which I assume flashes the device with the new firmware.
There are similar options for system.img and boot.img, which I assume would function in the same manner... extract the system/boot files, modify as needed, rebuild, and then rebuild the complete firmware?

Also, before I proceed, is there any way to "extract" and back up my existing system image just in case things somehow go horribly wrong? If my understanding of the firmware tools software above is correct then this is not possible using that particular software, correct?

I have also downloaded the RKDevTool v 2.84, which seems to be the most recent version of the original tool from post #1. As the "OG" tool, is this still preferred over the more recent 'firmware tools' mentioned above? It seems as though it offers more capability than the other, and if I'm understanding the user manual correctly then I may be able to use the "export config" on the "download image" tab or the "export image" in the "advanced function" tab to download a backup of the existing system/partitions to the computer? And then to flash the new firmware I would use the "upgrade firmware" tab?

I apologize in advance if it seems like I'm asking foolish questions here, but I'm just slightly overwhelmed. These threads sometimes get a bit convoluted and conflicting over time (although I will say that this one has been kept fairly clean, thankfully!) many pages of comments. I don't mind wading in, but I don't want to just dive in over my head if I can help it. Thanks for any assistance/clarification that you can lend.

jnshk

Jan 20, 2014
OK, so my USB A-A cable arrived and I have verified that the laptop will recognize the device once it is rebooted to recovery (found one MASKROM device), however, I'm still a bit unclear on the best practices for using the software. I've been trying to read through the user manual of the RKDevTool, but I think that a combination of the English translation and there being too many terms which I am not entirely clear on make it very difficult to understand exactly what each function does. Is there a more concise/clear guide for how to use the RKDevTool software?

EDIT: OK, I found a little bit more about how to use the tool here: http://www.hotmcu.com/wiki/Flashing_Firmware_Image_Files_Using_The_Rockchip_Tool and here https://wiki.radxa.com/Rock/flash_the_image but I would still appreciate any tips that you can provide for using it. Reading that documentation, does not seem to clarify if this can be used to back up the original configuration/image of the device. Will the "ExportImage" button on advanced functions tab copy the original system to an image file on the PC?

ginoromano

Aug 28, 2014
Hi I'm here again asking for your help, I have a dasaita max6 and I would like to update it to android 10.
Thanks to ikerg (he suggested a word '' adbon '') I was able to show the dasaita to RKDevTool_2.84 but I could not start the program (the problem was that the file transfer in usb was not activated).
I enable the file transfer in usb, the flash of the 1_hct7_rk3399_10.0_ 烧录 包 (20200415) .img stops after a few seconds with the message `` download IDB Fail '', how can I overcome the problem? Thanks

Attachments

• secondo errore.PNG
    secondo errore.PNG
    835.2 KB · Views: 24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To upgrade a MTCD/E PX3, PX5, PX6 from Android 6+ on using official Rockchip free tools - a reminder, bringing together multiple threads.

First note - if coming from Android 6 - early versions of Realtek dual BT/WIFI (type 2) are not supported past Android 6.
    [29/06/2020 - Android 10 - Users are report Bluetooth MD725 Type 1 is not working on Android 10...]

The only fix is to replace the wifi/bt module with the supported "type 1" GOC-MD-725. See this thread for details (placeholder)

Risk:
    Also, there is risk associated in upgrading. The SDCard method is known to result in back-screen, sometimes recoverable booting to recovery from SDcard again. If this method fails, OTG becomes the only recovery option.

Two Rockchip Official methods;

A. SDcard Method
    Note: To use these methods, your unit must support booting from SDCard or USB. Not all MTC variants are created the same, so test first.

The following is required for SDcard method
    - (1) Full ROM in .IMG format
    OR
    - (1b) bootloader/recovery only image to flash recovery,
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr
    AND
    - a 'full' OTA of your choice.
    - Rockchip SDCard create tool
    https://github.com/rockchip-linux/tools

1. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool.

2. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.
    3. Wait for install to complete...and can take some time

(1b) Flash boot/recovery image then an OTA zip. Thanks to @ikerg for recovery .IMG files.
    2b. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool with .img

3b. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.

4b. After flashing, remove SDCard, boot to recovery then flash an OTA from another SDCard or USB stick.

* Download bootloader/recovery flash image from here; https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr

B. OTG method - "Never fail, flash like a Boss, impress your friends method"
    *May require Jig, or if lucky an USB A-A cable.)
    The below method will recover a 'bricked' or non-booting unit.
    If wanting to backup your ROM and test other ROMs, this is the method you want.

The following is required:
    - ROM in .img format, or partiton extract
    - Android Tool and Driver:
    https://github.com/rockchip-linux/tools

1. Install Rockchip driver and Android Tool on PC/Laptop.

2. First try connecting your unit USB to USB using cable to PC. Try all headunit USB ports.

3. Try entering recovery. If successful you will hear the new device chime on your PC and the headunit will be connected.
    If connecting via USB method does not work, a jig must be made. See the following thread for details: https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...px3-5-headunit-mod-recover-flash-som-t3766892

4. Using Android Tool connected via USB - Flash SOM using .img file. If image file does not install, erase flash first after selecting .img file.

C. Downgrading steps here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ing-official-free-tools.4123933/post-85473141

Hope this thread clarifies the two free and official methods to upgrade your headunit. Enjoy.

29/06/2020 - Update - Users reporting MD725 - Type 1 Bluetooth is not working on Android 10.
    28/07/2020 - Update - include bootloader/recovery plus OTA method from IMG files kindly created by the talented @ikerg .

29/06/2020 - Update - Users reporting MD725 - Type 1 Bluetooth is not working on Android 10.

March 2021 - Update - BT module found - HW upgrade to enable Android 10 upgrades. See my module thread.

August 2021 - SD Card Downgrade steps - from A10, A9 using A8 for success.

Note: Best, most successful risk free method - OTG
    I will share some reduced images for recovery upgrade only....after upgrading the recovery you can upgrade to the latest OTA
    This process should be faster than upgrading with a 2.5 gb image from sdcard...as once rexovery is upgraded (70MB image) you can use the usb for upgrading to the latest ota image you downloaded
    Android 8, 9 and 10 for px5 & px6 (only android 9 and 10. No android 8 is available for px6) can be downloaded and selected within sd boot card program.

I haven't tried them yet as my px5 has md725 chip and currently my car with px6 is on service
    @marchnz if you consider appropriate, you can add this link to the OP....
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
    Attention HCT7_rk3399_10.0_IMG (20200415).zip is on PX6. Because you write that you have PX5, use: HCT7_PX5_10.0_IMG (20200612):

You can try according to Alex's (Ati_gangster) video, everything is perfectly described here. I recommend watching all his videos, they are perfect. On a professional level. The link to RockChip Disk Tool V1.62 is below the video.But only Windows

Hi,

it could be....anyway....here you are a reduced image for Android11 upgrade;