[MTCD/E] Android 10 upgrade using official Free tools

Search This thread

angelparras

Feb 1, 2014
Using HAL9K tool i bricked my unit, the recovery did not charge and now i cant acess to any recovery or even the SO.

So i am with a black screen.

I have tried severad micro sd bootable, with android 8,9, 10 and 11 and nothing worked. Even a micro sd with img firmware file, even not working.

Teardown the radio and instead of front micro sd port i used sided one, nothing worked.

I do not know what to do now. I am black screen.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
Using HAL9K tool i bricked my unit, the recovery did not charge and now i cant acess to any recovery or even the SO.

So i am with a black screen.

I have tried severad micro sd bootable, with android 8,9, 10 and 11 and nothing worked. Even a micro sd with img firmware file, even not working.

Teardown the radio and instead of front micro sd port i used sided one, nothing worked.

I do not know what to do now. I am black screen.
Otg method

angelparras

Feb 1, 2014
OTG wasnt working for me.

I tried the HDMI connector and i found that with HDMI i can acess the recovery and the problem was the screen. So i reinstalled the rom and after that my screen worked again.

The screen stopped working after trying to install the recovery for android 8, so after connecting the HDMI, i can install android 8 and after that screen didnt work, but after upgrading to android 10 again worked.

Why? I do not know... I also changed the thermal paste.

tvladan

Oct 23, 2012
Timisoara
OTG wasnt working for me.

I tried the HDMI connector and i found that with HDMI i can acess the recovery and the problem was the screen. So i reinstalled the rom and after that my screen worked again.

The screen stopped working after trying to install the recovery for android 8, so after connecting the HDMI, i can install android 8 and after that screen didnt work, but after upgrading to android 10 again worked.

Why? I do not know... I also changed the thermal paste.
Man, you are a life saver! After endlessly trying OTG maskrom / bootloader, flashing and reflashing I stumbled upon your post.
My situation was
Dasaita max11, trying to downgrade via hal9k mod installer pro 3, to android 10 so that I can install modv5. Ended in black screen and nothig worked afterwords. It seems that all was installed as it should but the HU's display showed nothing. After connecting the HDMI cable to a monitor I could enter recovery, system and so forth ...
Thank YOU!

tanukumar771

Jul 4, 2015
To upgrade a MTCD/E PX3, PX5, PX6 from Android 6+ on using official Rockchip free tools - a reminder, bringing together multiple threads.

First note - if coming from Android 6 - early versions of Realtek dual BT/WIFI (type 2) are not supported past Android 6.
[29/06/2020 - Android 10 - Users are report Bluetooth MD725 Type 1 is not working on Android 10...]

The only fix is to replace the wifi/bt module with the supported "type 1" GOC-MD-725. See this thread for details (placeholder)

Risk:
Also, there is risk associated in upgrading. The SDCard method is known to result in back-screen, sometimes recoverable booting to recovery from SDcard again. If this method fails, OTG becomes the only recovery option.

Two Rockchip Official methods;

A. SDcard Method
Note: To use these methods, your unit must support booting from SDCard or USB. Not all MTC variants are created the same, so test first.

The following is required for SDcard method
- (1) Full ROM in .IMG format
OR
- (1b) bootloader/recovery only image to flash recovery,
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr
AND
- a 'full' OTA of your choice.
- Rockchip SDCard create tool
https://github.com/rockchip-linux/tools

1. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool.

2. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.
3. Wait for install to complete...and can take some time

(1b) Flash boot/recovery image then an OTA zip. Thanks to @ikerg for recovery .IMG files.
2b. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool with .img

3b. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.

4b. After flashing, remove SDCard, boot to recovery then flash an OTA from another SDCard or USB stick.

* Download bootloader/recovery flash image from here; https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr

B. OTG method - "Never fail, flash like a Boss, impress your friends method"
*May require Jig, or if lucky an USB A-A cable.)
The below method will recover a 'bricked' or non-booting unit.
If wanting to backup your ROM and test other ROMs, this is the method you want.

The following is required:
- ROM in .img format, or partiton extract
- Android Tool and Driver:

1. Install Rockchip driver and Android Tool on PC/Laptop.

2. First try connecting your unit USB to USB using cable to PC. Try all headunit USB ports.

3. Try entering recovery. If successful you will hear the new device chime on your PC and the headunit will be connected.
If connecting via USB method does not work, a jig must be made. See the following thread for details: https://xdaforums.com/android-auto/...px3-5-headunit-mod-recover-flash-som-t3766892

4. Using Android Tool connected via USB - Flash SOM using .img file. If image file does not install, erase flash first after selecting .img file.

C. Downgrading steps here: https://xdaforums.com/t/mtcd-e-android-10-upgrade-using-official-free-tools.4123933/post-85473141

Hope this thread clarifies the two free and official methods to upgrade your headunit. Enjoy.

29/06/2020 - Update - Users reporting MD725 - Type 1 Bluetooth is not working on Android 10.
28/07/2020 - Update - include bootloader/recovery plus OTA method from IMG files kindly created by the talented @ikerg .

29/06/2020 - Update - Users reporting MD725 - Type 1 Bluetooth is not working on Android 10.

March 2021 - Update - BT module found - HW upgrade to enable Android 10 upgrades. See my module thread.

August 2021 - SD Card Downgrade steps - from A10, A9 using A8 for success.

Note: Best, most successful risk free method - OTG

I Have Px3 Mtce [7.1.2] 1024x600 It Has Stock Firmware I Want To Update It To Custom Rom But Before That I Want To Backup Stock Firmware

Please Can Anyone Tell Me How Can I Backup My

tanukumar771

Jul 4, 2015
Dont ask twice here and there.

Look the answer in your first post please. You got an answer there.
Ok brother
Is there any other way to backup?
Like we can backup ROM through twrp recovery in mobiles!

Because I'm afraid. My steering key and reverse back camera should not be a problem.

So is there any way to back it up.

Clandaries

May 9, 2013
Stapel
There is no working custom recovery to backup the ROM.

You can just install any working firmware for your PX3 but you need the right recovery. For every Android version there is a working recovery. So you have to upgrade the rercovery first or do a firmware upgrade. You can find all answers here in the forum because it is to much to write it here again.

Here are many Firmwares also for your PX3: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/umCvHqCDzHccr

But no. Until now we cant backup our ROM. Just the Apps with data when rooted.

Regards

tanukumar771

Jul 4, 2015
There is no working custom recovery to backup the ROM.

You can just install any working firmware for your PX3 but you need the right recovery. For every Android version there is a working recovery. So you have to upgrade the rercovery first or do a firmware upgrade. You can find all answers here in the forum because it is to much to write it here again.

Here are many Firmwares also for your PX3: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/umCvHqCDzHccr

But no. Until now we cant backup our ROM. Just the Apps with data when rooted.

Regards
Thanks Hal9k_ rom working good

Any option for apple carplay for px3

oscyp

Jan 29, 2015
Hi,
I have the following HU - is it possible to upgrade to Android 10.
I cant see XRC folder for A10 on Yandex (not even for A9)- it is listed in Android 8 folder only.
How to upgrade then?

1684335040664.png

oscyp

Jan 29, 2015
I know this is old and that's why I want to upgrade the Android to 11 at least. How to do that?
Yesterday I successfully managed to update the MCU to version 3.01.

ikerg

I know this is old and that's why I want to upgrade the Android to 11 at least. How to do that?
Yesterday I successfully managed to update the MCU to version 3.01.
I don't think you could. Check first which bt chipset is selected in your factory settings. Of it is a md725....then you can't go above Android8.
Bt chipsets (bt and wifi) are no longer supported on the most recent Android versions....

Anton TNT

Sep 24, 2020
Croatia
Android Automotive OS
I don't think you could. Check first which bt chipset is selected in your factory settings. Of it is a md725....then you can't go above Android8.
Bt chipsets (bt and wifi) are no longer supported on the most recent Android versions....
It could be possible by replacing some chips inside if ofcourse is detachable from motheroard inside (processor and memory)

Pavel-71

Jul 9, 2020
Hi All, i only see px5 and px6 files, anyone knows where the PX3 file(s) are?
PX3 is a maximum of android 7.1, it is not possible to upgrade to a higher android. You can replace the processor board, PX5 or PX6, but bluetooth may not work, there is a solution, replace the bluetooth module. I was lucky, I put PX5 and it works without problems, you can also put PX6:

Deki95

Feb 25, 2016
I see that several people like me have the problem of a black screen on the PX5 car radio, does anyone find a solution to solve the problem? I tried everything nothing to do... PX5 RK3368 MCU MTCE GS 3.79 remains stuck in Android 9. As soon as an SD card is in the GPS slot refuses to start and remains in black screen

ikerg

I see that several people like me have the problem of a black screen on the PX5 car radio, does anyone find a solution to solve the problem? I tried everything nothing to do... PX5 RK3368 MCU MTCE GS 3.79 remains stuck in Android 9. As soon as an SD card is in the GPS slot refuses to start and remains in black screen
If full Black screen (no logos) then check if it gives you signal by hdmi out.

Deki95

Feb 25, 2016
Yes, it's full black but nothing, radio dont start... i have wait 30 min but nothing... when i put off SD CARD radio boot normaly on android 9 :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To upgrade a MTCD/E PX3, PX5, PX6 from Android 6+ on using official Rockchip free tools - a reminder, bringing together multiple threads.

First note - if coming from Android 6 - early versions of Realtek dual BT/WIFI (type 2) are not supported past Android 6.
    [29/06/2020 - Android 10 - Users are report Bluetooth MD725 Type 1 is not working on Android 10...]

The only fix is to replace the wifi/bt module with the supported "type 1" GOC-MD-725. See this thread for details (placeholder)

Risk:
    Also, there is risk associated in upgrading. The SDCard method is known to result in back-screen, sometimes recoverable booting to recovery from SDcard again. If this method fails, OTG becomes the only recovery option.

Two Rockchip Official methods;

A. SDcard Method
    Note: To use these methods, your unit must support booting from SDCard or USB. Not all MTC variants are created the same, so test first.

The following is required for SDcard method
    - (1) Full ROM in .IMG format
    OR
    - (1b) bootloader/recovery only image to flash recovery,
    AND
    - a 'full' OTA of your choice.
    - Rockchip SDCard create tool

1. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool.

2. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.
    3. Wait for install to complete...and can take some time

(1b) Flash boot/recovery image then an OTA zip. Thanks to @ikerg for recovery .IMG files.
    2b. Create SDCard using Rockchip SDcard create tool with .img

3b. Insert and boot from SDcard, follow prompts.

4b. After flashing, remove SDCard, boot to recovery then flash an OTA from another SDCard or USB stick.

* Download bootloader/recovery flash image from here; https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zpgoOW4eU6G1tjs7ExsZ2aC4RoZ9KDr

B. OTG method - "Never fail, flash like a Boss, impress your friends method"
    *May require Jig, or if lucky an USB A-A cable.)
    The below method will recover a 'bricked' or non-booting unit.
    If wanting to backup your ROM and test other ROMs, this is the method you want.

The following is required:
    - ROM in .img format, or partiton extract
    - Android Tool and Driver:

1. Install Rockchip driver and Android Tool on PC/Laptop.

2. First try connecting your unit USB to USB using cable to PC. Try all headunit USB ports.

3. Try entering recovery. If successful you will hear the new device chime on your PC and the headunit will be connected.
    If connecting via USB method does not work, a jig must be made. See the following thread for details: https://xdaforums.com/android-auto/...px3-5-headunit-mod-recover-flash-som-t3766892

4. Using Android Tool connected via USB - Flash SOM using .img file. If image file does not install, erase flash first after selecting .img file.

C. Downgrading steps here: https://xdaforums.com/t/mtcd-e-android-10-upgrade-using-official-free-tools.4123933/post-85473141

Hope this thread clarifies the two free and official methods to upgrade your headunit. Enjoy.

28/07/2020 - Update - include bootloader/recovery plus OTA method from IMG files kindly created by the talented @ikerg .

March 2021 - Update - BT module found - HW upgrade to enable Android 10 upgrades. See my module thread.

August 2021 - SD Card Downgrade steps - from A10, A9 using A8 for success.

Note: Best, most successful risk free method - OTG
    I will share some reduced images for recovery upgrade only....after upgrading the recovery you can upgrade to the latest OTA
    This process should be faster than upgrading with a 2.5 gb image from sdcard...as once rexovery is upgraded (70MB image) you can use the usb for upgrading to the latest ota image you downloaded
    Android 8, 9 and 10 for px5 & px6 (only android 9 and 10. No android 8 is available for px6) can be downloaded and selected within sd boot card program.

I haven't tried them yet as my px5 has md725 chip and currently my car with px6 is on service
    @marchnz if you consider appropriate, you can add this link to the OP....

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
    Attention HCT7_rk3399_10.0_IMG (20200415).zip is on PX6. Because you write that you have PX5, use: HCT7_PX5_10.0_IMG (20200612):

You can try according to Alex's (Ati_gangster) video, everything is perfectly described here. I recommend watching all his videos, they are perfect. On a professional level. The link to RockChip Disk Tool V1.62 is below the video.But only Windows

Hi,
    Also, some units, at least the JY I have, the USB hardware doesn't support it - the factory leaves out components that are required to enable switching/OTG support - probably to reduce cost.

Perhaps the newer HA units support OTG and I know GS units that I have seen, also support OTG out of the box.

In any case, making your own jig is simple enough with basic electronic skills. Also, the SOM must be removed if maskrom is needed.
    it could be....anyway....here you are a reduced image for Android11 upgrade;