[MTCD][Release] SpotifyKeys - control spotify using hard keys and steering wheel keys

Search This thread

Geniee33

Apr 19, 2017
hi, i have installed spotify keys and work great, anyway how can i use mtcdtools with other music player using steering wheel, i have tried to use it but i'm noob.
can someone explain me how to do please!

Me too, i would love to be able to use it with PowerAmp or the music app thats in Malaysk 10.8 , (cant remember the name at the moment).
I dont know how to setup mtcdtools yet... no one has a nice "how to" for n00bs like me :D

Jedimindtriks

Feb 5, 2017
Hello, will a simliar app work with the DAB+ app for android?

mainly the app by realzoulou.

Im looking for a way for cars to be able to change stations using steering wheel. which does not work on Mercedes units since switching to spotify or DAB+ gives a "NO AUDIO" message in the cars dashboard.

hermes_1969

Jul 2, 2017
Wheel Key Hardware Fault

Hi All, after a few failed upgrades, I was able to restore my brand new HU through my PC. However, I fear that the hardware of the wheel key in my HU is bricked or faulty (I have tried with many MCUs firmwares but none of them solves the problem because the wheelkey does not react any longer). My question is: do you know whether the hardware of the wheel key is embedded in the SOM module or on on the motherboard? If it is embedded on the SOM, a new SOM would solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for your replies

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
Hi All, after a few failed upgrades, I was able to restore my brand new HU through my PC. However, I fear that the hardware of the wheel key in my HU is bricked or faulty (I have tried with many MCUs firmwares but none of them solves the problem because the wheelkey does not react any longer). My question is: do you know whether the hardware of the wheel key is embedded in the SOM module or on on the motherboard? If it is embedded on the SOM, a new SOM would solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for your replies

Try to set canbus to "No Can" in the factory settings.

hermes-1969

May 16, 2017
Thank you for your reply. However, as I said, I have tried with many different MCUs upgrades and none of them solves this problem. So, I hardly believe that this is a SW issue (anyway, I will have a try later and let you know if your suggestion was successfull). In any case, do you think that by wiring correctly an external CANBUS through the HU and the car harness I might solve this issue? In this way, I should be able to bypass the hardware canbus of the HU and make it work through an external canbus. What do you think aboiut this solution?

Try to set canbus to "No Can" in the factory settings.

helldancer86

Sep 5, 2016
AWESOME!

Holy Cow, you are the men !

Thank you so much, i was searching this for about a year!

Now it's the best HeadUnit ever ! :cool::cool:

Alessiomiccoly

Mar 15, 2018
Hi at all,first thank you for this app.
But I don't understand how can this app starts automatically. I should put the source codes in a specific root on device?

LuNaTum

Jan 12, 2014
Thank you for your reply. However, as I said, I have tried with many different MCUs upgrades and none of them solves this problem. So, I hardly believe that this is a SW issue (anyway, I will have a try later and let you know if your suggestion was successfull). In any case, do you think that by wiring correctly an external CANBUS through the HU and the car harness I might solve this issue? In this way, I should be able to bypass the hardware canbus of the HU and make it work through an external canbus. What do you think aboiut this solution?

So none of your steering wheel keys work?

Usually the canbus box has switches to set the correct canbus setting, you shoukd check that. And also in the factory settings you have to choose the right canbus mode for your car. As you have updated the mcu it is very likely that this setting is now wrong.

I actually used the mctdtools to set the steering wheel keys and they work nicely when using spotify + waze

Last edited:

exmerci

Jun 22, 2007
No, the canbus Box itself works fine for radio and phone even without mctdtools. But not for spotify.

exmerci

Jun 22, 2007
I found the issue. The left keys of the steering wheel are supportet by the canbus but the right keys not. No function. Stupid.

LuNaTum

Jan 12, 2014
I found the issue. The left keys of the steering wheel are supportet by the canbus but the right keys not. No function. Stupid.

Ok, in my car the phone buttons work when ignition is off but not when it is on. That is because my car did not come with the factory installed phone module so the buttons are not "activated". The fix for my buttons is to find a mercedes auto shop that uses star and activates them for me.

Maybe you have a same kind of situation and the buttons need to be activated by computer.

Last edited:

miki.wp.wp

Apr 21, 2018
Hello, in my radio I can not bing any key, can someone help me ? I have universal steering wheel control buttons and when I bind in original binder everything works properly but I can't bind it on Spotify keys
I don't know where is factory settings in my radio (android 7.1) and maybe there is problem ? And to all settings where I should input password - password 126 not working

Please help :D

I have not permission to attempt photo so if needed tell me how I should do this

Wysłane z mojego LG-H870 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Samsquanch08

Jul 22, 2018
This program no longer works for me after Spotify updated to a new version. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no change.

Android 4.4

mnmsmushy

Sep 3, 2013
Sorry for digging an old thread. I'm also trying to get my universal steering wheel controls to bind with spotifykeys.
It will bind with the factory key binding app but Spotifykeys is not able to "learn" any key press. Any ideas why? I binded "prev" to factory setting "prev" and did the same with "play" and "next". It works with the head units built in apps but spotifykeys can't learn it..

Pipes_0

Jan 13, 2020
Hi, this app doesn't seem to work on my px6. Does anyone know if this app still works with px6 android 9.0? Any other solution is also greatly appriciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are looking for other music players support, please visit this thread.

Hi everyone,
    I want to introduce you SpotifyKeys app for our head units.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you start using the application, please check if "Device Broadcast Status" is enabled in spotify settings. Without enabling this option you will not be able to use SpotifyKeys. More info can be found here.

http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160803%2F652c500b898291004e02c6de0df920de.jpg

Now you can control your Spotify application by steering wheel keys and device's hard keys. Just simply bind key to next/previous/toggle play/launch action.

Features:
    • Possible to bind multiple keys (device's hard keys and steering wheel keys) for next/previous/toggle play action
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for switching to the next track (only when Spotify's playback is active)
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for switching to the previous track (only when Spotify's playback is active)
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for toggle play
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys to launch Spotify

Application has been originally developed for MTCD GS 1.61 (Android 5.1.1) device but by using microntek "virtual keys" broadcast layer it should work also for other resellers (e.g. Joying, KGL).

Please note that any key that you want to bind in SpotifyKeys should be bound first in original KeyStudy app from Factory Settings.

In order to remove learnt key use a Long Press.

It is standalone application. You DO NOT NEED TO ROOT your device in order to make SpotifyKeys work. Any Xposed framework or other 3rd party stuff is not needed as well.
    SpotifyKeys has autorun feature - it means that Android should launch it in background automatically after bootup. Just install it, "learn" key codes and forget :).

Source code:
    https://github.com/f1xpl/SpotifyKeys

Latest version:
    Version 1.4.1

Plans:
    1. Support for Google Play Music

Any feedback and sugestions will be appreciated!

Best regards!
    SpotifyKeys 1.4

Hi to all.
    New version of SpotifyKeys has been released. Functionality of learning "launch" key has been added. Now you can start Spotify or bring it to foreground using an hard key that you bound for "launching".

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Today during tests I discovered that "com.microntek.irkeyDown" broadcast works only for keys which have assigned any action in "Factory Setting".

In case if application cannot handle key press, try to check in your Factory Settings (password to enter it: 126) whether you defined actions for buttons that you want to use in SpotifyKeys.

Please note that in "Factory Settings" you can also define "Long press" action for an button and it will have separated key code which can be used to launch Spotify (e.g. long press for "Music" hard key). In "Factory Settings" just declare any dummy action for long press (# or *), then bound this long press in SpotifyKeys.

Also one note that I forgot to mention: YOU DO NOT NEED ROOT YOUR DEVICE to use SpotifyKeys.

Enjoy!
    Download

Download URL is Changed
    github.com:/f1xpl/SpotifyKeys/releases
    hi, I tried the new version and it all works. Only the play button does not work (pause work). I sent you a video in pm message! let me know

I have not tried this because now it works.

Hi Enemy16. Thank you for your feedback. It is really useful. I watched your video and it confirms that I posted yesterday - media notification status in spotify settings is set to disabled. To make original SpotifyKeys (not this debug version with toasts) work, just enable media notifications in spotify settings. Could you please check it? It would be very helpful for me and for other users. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

All of my factory settings work fine. They buttons on panel and steering wheel work without issue but not with spotify. I've also made sure that notifications are ON in spotify.

Please help. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk.

Could you please post an photo of your key study panel from Factory Settings, please?
    Yeah, it's called Device Broadcast Status on the english spotify.

Thanks for the confirmation :). I was suggested by Spotify documentation, they mention about "Media notification". Furtunately we figured out the real name of it :D.

You made my mind last , congratulations! Where donation link ?

Great. Enjoy using of SpotifyKeys then. Link should be under my nick :).

I figured it out... its not called "Media notifications" on my app.

652c500b898291004e02c6de0df920de.jpg

Once I enabled Device broadcast status, it works flawlessly.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Great! I am really happy that we solved the issue. I will include your screen to the main post for other users. Enjoy.