[MTCD][Release] SpotifyKeys - control spotify using hard keys and steering wheel keys

Search This thread

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
If you are looking for other music players support, please visit this thread.

Hi everyone,
I want to introduce you SpotifyKeys app for our head units.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you start using the application, please check if "Device Broadcast Status" is enabled in spotify settings. Without enabling this option you will not be able to use SpotifyKeys. More info can be found here.

http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160803%2F652c500b898291004e02c6de0df920de.jpg

Now you can control your Spotify application by steering wheel keys and device's hard keys. Just simply bind key to next/previous/toggle play/launch action.

Features:
  • Possible to bind multiple keys (device's hard keys and steering wheel keys) for next/previous/toggle play action
  • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for switching to the next track (only when Spotify's playback is active)
  • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for switching to the previous track (only when Spotify's playback is active)
  • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for toggle play
  • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys to launch Spotify

Application has been originally developed for MTCD GS 1.61 (Android 5.1.1) device but by using microntek "virtual keys" broadcast layer it should work also for other resellers (e.g. Joying, KGL).

Please note that any key that you want to bind in SpotifyKeys should be bound first in original KeyStudy app from Factory Settings.

In order to remove learnt key use a Long Press.

It is standalone application. You DO NOT NEED TO ROOT your device in order to make SpotifyKeys work. Any Xposed framework or other 3rd party stuff is not needed as well.
SpotifyKeys has autorun feature - it means that Android should launch it in background automatically after bootup. Just install it, "learn" key codes and forget :).

Source code:
https://github.com/f1xpl/SpotifyKeys

Latest version:
Version 1.4.1

Plans:
  1. Support for Google Play Music

Any feedback and sugestions will be appreciated!

Best regards!

Last edited:

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
SpotifyKeys 1.4

Hi to all.
New version of SpotifyKeys has been released. Functionality of learning "launch" key has been added. Now you can start Spotify or bring it to foreground using an hard key that you bound for "launching".

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Today during tests I discovered that "com.microntek.irkeyDown" broadcast works only for keys which have assigned any action in "Factory Setting".

In case if application cannot handle key press, try to check in your Factory Settings (password to enter it: 126) whether you defined actions for buttons that you want to use in SpotifyKeys.

Please note that in "Factory Settings" you can also define "Long press" action for an button and it will have separated key code which can be used to launch Spotify (e.g. long press for "Music" hard key). In "Factory Settings" just declare any dummy action for long press (# or *), then bound this long press in SpotifyKeys.

Also one note that I forgot to mention: YOU DO NOT NEED ROOT YOUR DEVICE to use SpotifyKeys.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Oblivious_89

Samoawbc

Jan 25, 2011
This is such a great and powerful App!
No root, no xposed and Spotify is finaly perfect integrated in our head units!
Btw, where is your donation button?

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
This is such a great and powerful App!
No root, no xposed and Spotify is finaly perfect integrated in our head units!
Thank you for your feedback once again! It was really important for me to make an app which does not need much effort to make it work :). All stuff with Xposed was too complicated and does not work in 100% so I decided to use my abilities and create an alternative app and share with other users.

Btw, where is your donation button?
It is now available :).

jorjax

Dec 4, 2009
KGL unit

Hi! thank you for the app, it is a must in these radio!!
I have installed the app and it gets the code from the key (sw and radio fascia) but when i try to change song it does not work. My unit is KGL with Malay ROM V5

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
I have installed the app and it gets the code from the key (sw and radio fascia) but when i try to change song it does not work. My unit is KGL with Malay ROM V5

Hello, Is Spotify's playback active (any song is playing) when you try to change the track? What about toggle play? Have you tried this functionality?

Enemy16

May 24, 2016

Hi , I have the same problem .

it works:
- launch Spotify
- play

does not work:
- next track
- previous track
- pause (II)
Thank's for your job

Last edited:

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
ferrari312_uk, you can try it on MTCB as well. Application does not have any hardware dependencies. I tested it on Android 4.4, 5.1 and 6.0 - it works. But I did not test it on MTCB. If you have possibilities, please do it and share the result.

Enemy16, what version of spotify are you using? Please note that switching to the next or previous works only when spotify's playback is active.

If during installation spotify was active, after installation and key learning procedure please make pause/play once directly in spotify. Application relies on playback status sent from spotify,and it could be not updated right after application installation.

Last edited:

Enemy16

May 24, 2016
ferrari312_uk, you can try it on MTCB as well. Application does not have any hardware dependencies. I tested it on Android 4.4, 5.1 and 6.0 - it works. But I did not test it on MTCB. If you have possibilities, please do it and share the result.

Enemy16, what version of spotify are you using? Please note that switching to the next or previous works only when spotify's playback is active.

If during installation spotify was active, after installation and key learning procedure please make pause/play once directly in spotify. Application relies on playback status sent from spotify,and it could be not updated right after application installation.

I'm trying with the latest version of Spotify installed by playstore . ( If the version number is important I check when I go by car ) I 'm trying with spotify open windows , or in the background . I have the same problem.

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
I'm trying with the latest version of Spotify installed by playstore . ( If the version number is important I check when I go by car ) I 'm trying with spotify open windows , or in the background . I have the same problem.

And what about device restart? It still does not work after restart?

Enemy16

May 24, 2016
And what about device restart? It still does not work after restart?

After restart the o.s. work only launch Spotify and play song (i have try this morning).

The start of your application ( when Android starts ) is really fast and does not require resources . good job!

f1x

Jul 27, 2016
Warsaw
After restart the o.s. work only launch Spotify and play song (i have try this morning).

The start of your application ( when Android starts ) is really fast and does not require resources . good job!
Enemy16, today's afternoon I will prepare version without playbackstate checking. I am not sure if problem is with playbackstate intent or intents related to track switching. Will you be able to test it and share the result?

Edit: could you please check if you have Spotify widget installed on your device? It should be preinstalled with spotify application. If yes, could you please check wether it works?

Last edited:

Enemy16

May 24, 2016
Enemy16, today's afternoon I will prepare version without playbackstate checking. I am not sure if problem is with playbackstate intent or intents related to track switching. Will you be able to test it and share the result?

Edit: could you please check if you have Spotify widget installed on your device? It should be preinstalled with spotify application. If yes, could you please check wether it works?

of course ! sorry for my bad English.

Edit: the Spotify version is 5.8.0.1029. I have the Spotify widget and it works (with touch).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are looking for other music players support, please visit this thread.

Hi everyone,
    I want to introduce you SpotifyKeys app for our head units.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before you start using the application, please check if "Device Broadcast Status" is enabled in spotify settings. Without enabling this option you will not be able to use SpotifyKeys. More info can be found here.

http%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20160803%2F652c500b898291004e02c6de0df920de.jpg

Now you can control your Spotify application by steering wheel keys and device's hard keys. Just simply bind key to next/previous/toggle play/launch action.

Features:
    • Possible to bind multiple keys (device's hard keys and steering wheel keys) for next/previous/toggle play action
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for switching to the next track (only when Spotify's playback is active)
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for switching to the previous track (only when Spotify's playback is active)
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys for toggle play
    • Bind steering wheel keys or device's hard keys to launch Spotify

Application has been originally developed for MTCD GS 1.61 (Android 5.1.1) device but by using microntek "virtual keys" broadcast layer it should work also for other resellers (e.g. Joying, KGL).

Please note that any key that you want to bind in SpotifyKeys should be bound first in original KeyStudy app from Factory Settings.

In order to remove learnt key use a Long Press.

It is standalone application. You DO NOT NEED TO ROOT your device in order to make SpotifyKeys work. Any Xposed framework or other 3rd party stuff is not needed as well.
    SpotifyKeys has autorun feature - it means that Android should launch it in background automatically after bootup. Just install it, "learn" key codes and forget :).

Source code:
    https://github.com/f1xpl/SpotifyKeys

Latest version:
    Version 1.4.1

Plans:
    1. Support for Google Play Music

Any feedback and sugestions will be appreciated!

Best regards!
    SpotifyKeys 1.4

Hi to all.
    New version of SpotifyKeys has been released. Functionality of learning "launch" key has been added. Now you can start Spotify or bring it to foreground using an hard key that you bound for "launching".

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Today during tests I discovered that "com.microntek.irkeyDown" broadcast works only for keys which have assigned any action in "Factory Setting".

In case if application cannot handle key press, try to check in your Factory Settings (password to enter it: 126) whether you defined actions for buttons that you want to use in SpotifyKeys.

Please note that in "Factory Settings" you can also define "Long press" action for an button and it will have separated key code which can be used to launch Spotify (e.g. long press for "Music" hard key). In "Factory Settings" just declare any dummy action for long press (# or *), then bound this long press in SpotifyKeys.

Also one note that I forgot to mention: YOU DO NOT NEED ROOT YOUR DEVICE to use SpotifyKeys.

Enjoy!
    Download

Download URL is Changed
    github.com:/f1xpl/SpotifyKeys/releases
    hi, I tried the new version and it all works. Only the play button does not work (pause work). I sent you a video in pm message! let me know

I have not tried this because now it works.

Hi Enemy16. Thank you for your feedback. It is really useful. I watched your video and it confirms that I posted yesterday - media notification status in spotify settings is set to disabled. To make original SpotifyKeys (not this debug version with toasts) work, just enable media notifications in spotify settings. Could you please check it? It would be very helpful for me and for other users. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

All of my factory settings work fine. They buttons on panel and steering wheel work without issue but not with spotify. I've also made sure that notifications are ON in spotify.

Please help. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk.

Could you please post an photo of your key study panel from Factory Settings, please?
    Yeah, it's called Device Broadcast Status on the english spotify.

Thanks for the confirmation :). I was suggested by Spotify documentation, they mention about "Media notification". Furtunately we figured out the real name of it :D.

You made my mind last , congratulations! Where donation link ?

Great. Enjoy using of SpotifyKeys then. Link should be under my nick :).

I figured it out... its not called "Media notifications" on my app.

652c500b898291004e02c6de0df920de.jpg

Once I enabled Device broadcast status, it works flawlessly.

Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Great! I am really happy that we solved the issue. I will include your screen to the main post for other users. Enjoy.