MTCD - Swap Radio Module TDA7786 for TEF6686

Search This thread

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
It is the type of radio that this thread and forum is about - it is like you having a Mercedes and then asking for advice about it in a BMW forum.

amnesia106

Feb 27, 2021
It is the type of radio that this thread and forum is about - it is like you having a Mercedes and then asking for advice about it in a BMW forum.
Okay, but how I check which type of radio it is. It’s a Android China radio. Maybe it’s better I ask on Android head unit forum, thanks

typos1

Apr 3, 2007
UK
Thats a bit like saying "I know that it is a German car and it has a ZF gearbox" when asking on a BMW forum about your Mercedes (both BMW and Mercedes use ZF gearboxes) - there are 1000s of Android stereos from China and elsewhere, you cant assume all Chinese radios are the same plus the radio chip is made by a non Chinese company. Yes, use the general Android head unit forum.

Reactions: marchnz

amnesia106

Feb 27, 2021
Thats a bit like saying "I know that it is a German car and it has a ZF gearbox" when asking on a BMW forum about your Mercedes (both BMW and Mercedes use ZF gearboxes) - there are 1000s of Android stereos from China and elsewhere, you cant assume all Chinese radios are the same plus the radio chip is made by a non Chinese company. Yes, use the general Android head unit forum.

thanks! I asked in the general Android head forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 27/07 - did not improve the radio enough to recommend this modification/change.

Apparently the TEF6686 module has better performance than the TDA7786 - e.g. 7786 poor sensitivity, selectivity, multipath issues etc. My JY TDA7768 is terrible, even with an RF amp, so to find out if the TEF is any better, thought I would try and investigated swapping tuner modules. Reviewing the GS board I have as a spare part against my JY, I identified the modules are pin-for-pin compatible.

Sucessfully swapped the Radio module from a donor GS board containing a TEF6686 Module into my JY board originally containing a TDA7786. The GS board was quite difficult to unsolder the module, perhaps due to leadfree solder, fortunately the JY board was easy, the desolder wick readily desoldering the module.

As for results, I have bench tested and RDS, tuning, audio etc is OK, I am yet to test in the vehicle. Will update this thread with results.

See attached images. Note that the JY case had additional mounts that over time might short out against the non-ground PCB tracks, resulting in complete failure of the unit!

Welcoming any questions.
    Hi all.

After a long time I would like to add my experience with replacing those two tuners. Unfortunately in my case, it didn't work. I replaced original 7786 by 6686, but radio was not able to find any radio stations. To be more precisely, car radio didn't do anything in radio mode. Looks like, that it was not able to communicate with new tuner 6686. So I decided to replace tuner back to original and after that, everything worked again.

So I don't recommend this replacing.
    Schematic for TEF6686 TDQ230V86&TDQ230V186 from aliexpress.

http://dox.bg/files/dw?a=d233a435d4

I hope it is cross compatible with TDA7786.
    Appropriate match up is needed I guess.
    It would be great if someone who is familiar with electronics could confirm that and give the pin match up schematic.

PIN description (google translation from chineese...)
    (1) Antenna ANT, no external device, antenna seat and TUNER 1PIN, with 0.25mm line width signal line, the safety distance of 0.25mm to GND shielding. Signal line from the bottom BOTTOM layer, go to high frequency The first foot. (TOP layer interference and more.) Otherwise, EMC S1 (anti-jamming capability) problems, practical sensitivity is poor.
    (2) tuner RF_GND and GND and TUNER CASE between a piece of ground GND, EMC effect is good.
    (3) tuner TUNER, the best power supply regulator IC 5V.
    (4) TUNER L / R output de-emphasis circuit de_emphasis, improve signal to noise ratio S / N.
    (5) 3PIN 6PIN: NC and INTB are connected to the MCU I / O port to reset and interrupt the read status data. Easy to switch directly TDA7703 TDA7706M TDA7786.
    (6) (I) SDA (II) SCL PIN on the need to series 101 ~ 102 resistor, for MCU and TEF668X IC in the data transmission, if the MCU (3.3V and 5V) and TEF668X IC directly connected to the data transmission and reception due to Isolation resistance, data transmission error! SET external requirements to take two 472 pull-up resistor, pull-up resistor connected to 5V.
    Are they MTCD/E head units ?
    Next week this module come to me , so in the next weekend I have time to swap.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...32809641460.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.y1ZYeS

That's great, don't forget these are not pin-pin identical and will have to figure out swapping pins. Search for the manufacturer PDF and check against the mtcd schematic. I'll upload the module PDF later today.