• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Multi-platform 1-Click bootloader unlock for *ANY* 3rd Gen HDX (with VirtualBox)

Search This thread

heyjohne

May 5, 2020
Hi. I have a Kindle fire 7 hdx 3 gen. Mod KFTHWI SYS 4.4.3 and a Macbook air running Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287). I want to install pure andriod on the tablet. So far I have figured out how to root it. It is rooted. I have downloaded SDK platform tools and got tablet into fastboot. Now I'm stuck. Don't really know how to proceed from here. I know I need to unlock the bootloader in order to keep going. Any help would be appreciated.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi. I have a Kindle fire 7 hdx 3 gen. Mod KFTHWI SYS 4.4.3 and a Macbook air running Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287). I want to install pure andriod on the tablet. So far I have figured out how to root it. It is rooted. I have downloaded SDK platform tools and got tablet into fastboot. Now I'm stuck. Don't really know how to proceed from here. I know I need to unlock the bootloader in order to keep going. Any help would be appreciated.
Wrong thread; look here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/how-to-root-unlock-hdx-noobies-t3916167

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
If you request a link by PM, do NOT turn off private messages

Got this trying to share a link... @jetsr6

The following errors occurred with your submission:

XXXXXXX has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove XXXXXXX from the recipient list and send the message again.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsr6

jetsr6

Mar 4, 2008
Got this trying to share a link... @jetsr6

Dang, sorry about that. I actually got everything working now. But I do appreciate the work you guys do because I really don’t understand most of it lol.
I need to upgrade to at least android 5.0 to run a updated SoloStorm2 for my autocrossing needs. Thanks again.

Attachments

• A26F5774-8EEB-44D4-BB5A-664E69FDF958.jpg
    A26F5774-8EEB-44D4-BB5A-664E69FDF958.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 73B6805A-D74F-4819-BD67-ECD15C511804.jpeg
    73B6805A-D74F-4819-BD67-ECD15C511804.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 102
  • E550CE7D-336D-4D1B-9686-252028653BFD.jpeg
    E550CE7D-336D-4D1B-9686-252028653BFD.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 98
  • E53A5260-888B-4C39-8592-D91269E7D543.jpg
    E53A5260-888B-4C39-8592-D91269E7D543.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 4DFF92F0-CFF9-465A-A615-4349451878EB.jpg
    4DFF92F0-CFF9-465A-A615-4349451878EB.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: draxie and DB126

duonglq0210

Oct 2, 2010
Yes, simple and magical

Hi all,
I got 1-Click (on Ubuntu host) from Draxie a while back, and got the new 1-Click after the system down (Check his update on original thread). Put it simple, 1-Click works like a charm, really worth to queue in line. It took me a day or two to unlock, root and install Lineage 14 on the HDX (thor), all-in-one, that might take me couple of weeks to a month if I tried to manually do it. Personally, if there were little more descriptive, or for ones with little more experience, it could take just an hour or so.
Here is the steps for dummies like me, so you don't have to spend beginning hours like me :D
  1. Download latest Lineage ROM, GAAP pico for Arm 7.1 and SU. Name them to ROM.zip, GAAP.zip and SU.zip and put them in the same folder of 1-Click
  2. Turn on ADB mode
  3. Run terminal from 1-Click folder
  4. Rund command sudo chmod +x 1-Click (case sensitive!), or simply drag 1-Click into the terminal (worked on Ubuntu 14)
  5. Browser-interface will pop up and you just follow the steps, even there's a video showing how to turn on ADB mode
  6. Once TWRP 3.2.3 is flashed, restart and flash the ROM, GAAP and SU (yes, they are there for you already, surprise :cyclops:)
  7. Enjoy Lineage 14. It's smooth and fast
Thanks Draxie.:good:

Reactions: DB126

sarib

Nov 16, 2016
Pakistan
I need @draxie 's 1-click bootloader anyone have link? already contacted to developer but he is busy, I know there is another easy method but this method sometimes solves softbrick (currently I'm facing).

Last edited:

poot_gingrich

Jan 3, 2015
I just used this and when the magic is happening, the VM gave me a internal error 500 and my Kindle turned black and doesn't power on. Any advice?

I'm in this boat, not quite sure what to do.

Edit: for anyone seeing this, I just relaunched the 1-click and that got things moving again. Draxie's solution is quite robust, it seems. Truth be told, though, I had to restart twice due to internal errors and things seeming "fishy". All's well in the end!

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I'm in this boat, not quite sure what to do.

Edit: for anyone seeing this, I just relaunched the 1-click and that got things moving again. Draxie's solution is quite robust, it seems. Truth be told, though, I had to restart twice due to internal errors and things seeming "fishy". All's well in the end!
Perhaps should request a refund; those darn volunteer contributors offering "fishy" free wares never get it right :rolleyes:

poot_gingrich

Jan 3, 2015
I just used this and when the magic is happening, the VM gave me a internal error 500 and my Kindle turned black and doesn't power on. Any advice?

Perhaps should request a refund; those darn volunteer contributors offering "fishy" free wares never get it right :rolleyes:

Ah, I've been misunderstood! When the operation times out, the 1-click program actually says "something's fishy...". Got nothing but thanks for Draxie!

gorgutron

Jun 24, 2014
1- Click not working

Well I had to downgrade my linux distro from pop os 19.10 to ubuntu 18.04 to be able to install virtualbox v5.2. I had v6 installed. I got the 1-Click vm but it get stuck "getvar:version....." on the device for a few minutes. then terminal displays
" 44.285219] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1949, idProduct=000d, bcdDevice= 1.00
[ 44.287052] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 44.290685] usb 1-1: Product: Android
[ 44.296284] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Google
[ 44.300936] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: B07D0706348400KN

###!!! [Child][MessageChannel] Error: (msgtype=0x6C0029,name=PNecko::Msg_RemoveRequestContext) Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost"

device was rooted and had lineage OS I was just having trouble getting magisk tto install viper4android module. All help is greatly appreciated

I was able to get it done manually. I guess however many months ago when I rooted I didn't unlock boot loader. After i did that i could fastboot flash patched magisk boot.img.

Appreciate the help anyway.

Last edited:

a_nfaenger

Nov 29, 2020
Thank U draxie for your work ;))

I would also try to install custom rom on my hdx7 4.5.5.3.
i want to go away from amazon os.hate it.

nerderous

Oct 7, 2020
PM developer to find out (see OP)

Thank you, was having trouble with messages but I think it was just Labs not synced yet with xda's little migration project. Should be good to go now. Glad to see people are still working with these older kindle/fire devices, as the Droidx and 1st gen fire tabs are what got me into this messy obsession with modding/phreaking...converted ALMOST every version so far, been a min since I've gotten my hands on one again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is pure gold, this script should be shared with all other devs, and become a global sticky, well done!
    Incredible tool. Draxie provided a link very quickly - the tool is very polished and provides full instructions as you go along. It's clear a lot of time and effort has gone into this seamless experience. Thank you so much for making unlocking my old device so simple :)
    Have been visiting this site for YEARS now but never ended up with an account. I've been a sad sad leech and will continue to be a sad sad leech. But I am so, SO grateful for this website. Have had to update my hdx every few years due to loss of compatibility with netflix/hulu. I just got one of the new baby 7" from amazon and man, I miss the hdx already. Thought I was done with it, thought I wouldn't want to get it up and running again. Buuuuuut I think I'll give it one more go :) This is a just a general "thank you" to all the types on here that understand things WAY more than I do that make these things so accessible to those willing to exert a little effort. You are all fantastic. <3
    UPDATE 2020-12-24: Merry Magnifications

Changed:
    • VirtualBox 6.1.x support (tested with 6.1.16)
      works fine on Linux with Firefox and USB2 ports
      tends to be flaky on MacOS with Safari; PLEASE use Firefox or Chrome!!
      may need to connect via a USB2 hub or try different ports and cables
    • More accurate state assessment (i.e. rooted/unlocked/etc)
    • More aggressive planning logic
      always look for ROM/GAPPS/SU in internal storage
      may end up offering choices that make very little sense
    • Assorted fixes and improvements
      hopefully fewer new bugs were introduced than old ones fixed

Unchanged:
    1. No prerequisites on the device side
      • no root needed
      • full stock is OK
      • stuck in fastboot is fine
      • heck, it even works with _some_ soft-bricks
    2. Does NOT work on Windows
      1-Click is a virtual machine and a script that starts the VM in VirtualBox.
      Unfortunately, VirtualBox on Windows fails to pass certain USB devices
      including the HDX in bulk mode from Windows to the VM.
    3. Network access required to grab the right aboot + TWRP for your device
    4. Optional TWRP magic to auto-install ROM.zip, GAPPS.zip, and SU.zip from internal storage
    PM me for a personal link and please state your regular HOST operating system.

Gotchas:
    • Requests without HOST OS information will be ignored.
      • Naturally, the same applies to requests with a Windows HOST OS.
    • Running 1-Click inside another VM is almost guaranteed NOT to work.
    • Link requests should be sent at the earliest 2 weeks after join date.
      Freshly joined members are encouraged to spend some time
      familiarizing themselves with the details of working with this device
      by studying the relevant threads in this forum.
    • If you send a request be sure to monitor your account for replies!
      A response should arrive within a week (or so), but the link is only valid for 2 days.
      Don't miss your chance!
    Hi i need any working mirror of this tool pls, thank's

Look, I'm really sorry I haven't been able to put out a new release for a **long** time.
    Believe it or not, I'm still working on it, when I have the time, but I've had *way* too
    much going on the last couple of months. I recall making a comment that I'll surely
    finish this by Xmas, but the didn't happen. I do apologize. There's barely anything
    worse than unkept promises...

I'd give you an old version, if I had more of an order (version control, etc.) on this
    project, but -unfortunately- it's a bit of a chaos. I have different versions floating
    around on different USB sticks. My "master" copy is being totally reworked (and
    not yet fully functional, nor tested to any reasonable standards). I simply cannot
    take responsibility or give support to some random version, which is also why I'm
    asking not to mirror. If you happen to find the wrong version (there had been
    test releases, which didn't quite work -- no bricks, as far as I know, but no joy,
    either), you'll be in for a surprise.

Here's what I'll (try to) do: I've just finished my delivery for work (you know, the
    stuff that actually pays... ;)), and I have only two more interesting 'research' projects
    going on besides this tool. I'll put those aside and concentrate on this one. Let's see
    if I can get out a usable version in a few days. (I have most parts working, but I need
    to put everything together and _thoroughly_ test; so, you don't end up with a brick.)
    Any takers?

Very cool! Will be interesting to try this out (have to wait for a someone with an eligible device that is willing to give it a whirl).

BTW, this works with already unlocked devices also, :p
    if anyone is willing to do some independent testing.
    This is how I tested also... should be completely harmless. ;)
    That's awesome! I appreciate all the work you guys do! Let us know when you have it up to your standards :)

I just posted a download link...
    Had a Fire HDX 7 3rd gen (C9R6QM) sitting in a drawer wasting space, thought I'd give it a try with a new ROM. Could not for the life of me get the boot loader unlocked... until I found this thread. Yes, you have to wait for the download link, but it is worth it. Worked flawlessly, quickly, and was easy to understand. This is some solid, solid work. MANY thanks!