• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Multi-touch goes crazy when placing more than 4 fingers on screen

Search This thread

St.mcqueen

Apr 4, 2017
Hello.
I have a S20 FE 4G (SM-G780F/ds). I had lots of issues with touchscreen and some of them were fixed after updating to android 11. How ever, I seem to have a problem with Multi-touch. I'm blind and have to use a screen reader, Which brings the need to use gestures with more than 4 fingers. When I place more than 4 fingers on the screen it goes crazy, doing everything but what it's supposed to. I installed a Multi-touch testing app and found out that the phone can't recognize all my fingers correctly. Is this something common? I mean, my old phones used to recognize more than8 simultaneous touches at once correctly. Would it be fixed If I were to take my phone to warranty and change it with a new one?

St.mcqueen

Apr 4, 2017
Have you received second android 11 update (January security fixes)? For me this update fixed touch issues, which I could reproduce by swiping two fingers up and down very fast. Also just tested 4 finger pinch to zoom and it is just fine. I hope this update resolves your issues.
thanks for your reply; my security patch level shows January first 2021. Is this what you meant, or there's a newer update?
one more thing, could you please try with a multi-touch testing app as well?

LGaljo

thanks for your reply; my security patch level shows January first 2021. Is this what you meant, or there's a newer update?
one more thing, could you please try with a multi-touch testing app as well?

Yes, the January 1st. I tested that with some testing app. I should note that even before that my issues were not very big, only sometimes the keyboard registered additional key presses and I do not play games.

St.mcqueen

Apr 4, 2017
Yes, the January 1st. I tested that with some testing app. I should note that even before that my issues were not very big, only sometimes the keyboard registered additional key presses and I do not play games.
mine is not that bad either, except for the situation I explained before. In fact, I have no problems what so ever when using less than 4 fingers. GuessI'll be taking it to warranty service then.

mxxcon

Sep 17, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
I just tried multitouch tester app on my SM-G781U(US Tmobile) running latest available OTA updates and I was able to get all 10 fingers to register. However, if I moved my fingers closer together as soon as circle around one finger moved close to where my other finger was, it went a bit crazy, but I'm not sure if it's because of how this app works(circles around my fingers are pretty large) or if this phone's digitizer is still bad.

But, as a comparison I tried the same app on my LG V30 and it behaved much better. I was able to get fingers and circles much closer together, to the point where fingers were touching each other.

I recorded a short clip of both phones:
S20FE touch test: V30 touch test:
It definitely looks like S20FE doesn't work as well as V30

Last edited:

St.mcqueen

Apr 4, 2017
I just tried multitouch tester app on my SM-G781U(US Tmobile) running latest available OTA updates and I was able to get all 10 fingers to register. However, if I moved my fingers closer together as soon as circle around one finger moved close to where my other finger was, it went a bit crazy, but I'm not sure if it's because of how this app works(circles around my fingers are pretty large) or if this phone's digitizer is still bad.

But, as a comparison I tried the same app on my LG V30 and it behaved much better. I was able to get fingers and circles much closer together, to the point where fingers were touching each other.

Hi. Thanks a lot for all tests and videos. I tested the same on my Nokia 8 and had no problems what so ever. Took my phone to warranty service and they didn't accept this as hardware issue; so no changing the device and getting a new one for me. They said It'll be fixed with updates but I hardly doubt it as Not many people are having this problem as far as I know. I'm not even sure if getting a fresh unit will solve this. I'd really appreciate any advice.

tkshk

Nov 1, 2012
When I land my multiple fingers that are close together on display, I see ghost touches on Touch Screen Test app. Even with two fingers. It gets worse with more fingers. Samsung has already issued multiple firmware updates, which have fixed some touchscreen issues. This may be good enough for regular users but not for users who need precision touch screen experiences. I am not sure if future firmware updates can fix all the issues or Samsung is willing to do so. I doubt warranty repair can fix it unless Samsung has updated S20 FE's hardware. I would return the phone if possible and get other model. If your return window is closed, you can trade in your S20 FE for S21. The trade in program is still available in the US, and by paying $250 extra you can get a S21. I urge you to make sure S21's touch screen doesn't have the issues before going this route.

Last edited:

mxxcon

Sep 17, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Ya, unless there's a newer revision of the hardware, I doubt getting it warranty-replaced will improve the situation. And I doubt Samsung will be putting a lot of development effort into fixing this problem. They and all the media turned their attention to the next shiny S21 but all the existing users get screwed with the inferior product.

Maybe they'll release another fix with oneui3.1 update, but by now I doubt it. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.