Multiple Custom Roms and kernels

Search This thread

svennimann

Jun 18, 2009
Freiburg (Brsg.)
Hello Comm. and Devs,

For our Archos there are now many custom rom-images and experimental distris of linux and so on and every "rom" has its own kernel and init which have to be flashed and it seems it is only possible to have one kernel and one init.

I want to test as many roms, plasma, ics alpha, ubuntu, 3.2.80 with busybox and adobe, etc. for shorter or for everytime. And when Archos brings ICS finally i want to upgrade of course, without losing apps and settings etc.
Now i am on rooted 3.2.79 with chainfire 3d and i dont know if it makes senes to upgrade to 3.2.80 custom rom from surdu. Okay, vibrator and so on and some goodies, sounds nice, therefore i want to test and perhaps revert it later.
Which roms are compatibel with each other and which not?
Which rom is how much recommend?

What are the differences between these inits (kernel seems often to be the same seen by its size i think) - is there the possibility and the evidence to merge the inits somehow?
Or is there a kind of general initramfs one could take for most roms?

What rom has which kernel in which version and same for initfs?
What are there for possibilities that every image gets it adequate kernel and initfs?

Many of us want multi boot which i think is not really (?) supported for gen9 .
What should be done for compatibility if i want a kind of multiboot?

It would be nice if this would give a set of infos for us all.

Last edited:

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Well, no, kernels are not the same. We're not 100% sure for Archos ones, they're currently closed source, but looking at what they fixed in the different releases, I believe there have been changes. Plasma is definitely using a different kernel, ics will require a completely new 3.0 kernel and probably require clear data.

So what you're looking for is not really possible, not matching kernel with firmware is not a good idea. The only exception would be Ubuntu, but that's it.

Reactions: svennimann

svennimann

Jun 18, 2009
Freiburg (Brsg.)
what about multi-boot menu from open aos?

There are roumors that people have it work but it is not supported.

Dont want to mess all up.
Do you know something or have experiences?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, no, kernels are not the same. We're not 100% sure for Archos ones, they're currently closed source, but looking at what they fixed in the different releases, I believe there have been changes. Plasma is definitely using a different kernel, ics will require a completely new 3.0 kernel and probably require clear data.

So what you're looking for is not really possible, not matching kernel with firmware is not a good idea. The only exception would be Ubuntu, but that's it.