• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Multiple user profile support?

Search This thread

qdroid

May 15, 2010
Coming from the Nexus 6P, I use the multiple user profile feature quite often to switch between different game users for some games that I use multiple accounts for.

Does the S8 support this android feature?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rubaiet

Apr 3, 2015
Not that I know of. But you can use secure folder instead. It will let you set up a secure and independent environment where you'll be able to install any app independent from main interface. You'll be able to fresh install games, use another WhatsApp, viber etc. account.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: unbreakable360

mlock420

Aug 6, 2013
No unfortunately it's only on stock android...i think he means profile A-only for his use then profile B- for when kids wanna use his phone or guests.... and he can switch between the two... I've use that feature on like an aosp type rom.... which is stock Android

The Corrector

May 13, 2017
Samsung is the only Android phone which mutes the Multiple User function. It's a real shame considering it's an android function activated on all other android phones, I mean all including even the cheapest except Samsung which deliberately mutes it.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
You can download kids mode from Samsung, which should give you what are you looking for. Otherwise not sure how many people share one phone together. My kids have their own tablets/phones so never checked kids mode myself, but I know it's there under Galaxy essentials on Samsung website.

Reactions: jon313 and Belotto

andycat

Mar 2, 2007
You can download kids mode from Samsung, which should give you what are you looking for. Otherwise not sure how many people share one phone together. My kids have their own tablets/phones so never checked kids mode myself, but I know it's there under Galaxy essentials on Samsung website.

Hi, Kids mode uses same accounts as normal user, so no good. Secure Folder works, but you can only add one more user, Android stock is 4 users plus guest.

Shame Samsung stop this.

Reactions: joziel99

mmick

Apr 30, 2007
No-one uses it on phones. No-one gives a high end model for kids to play, better that they have their own low end device to play, scratch and break/ lose. Also small kids shouldn't play with smartphones.

Nevertheless on tablets it may be important.

AmgAdly

Aug 13, 2005
No-one uses it on phones. No-one gives a high end model for kids to play, better that they have their own low end device to play, scratch and break/ lose. Also small kids shouldn't play with smartphones.

Multi User, is not for kids. It is for those who want to separate Work/Friends/family profiles where each user/profile has its own contacts, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc....

awesomeduck

Jan 1, 2015
Yeah I've been looking for it too, it's not available for Samsung phones I think. I don't really need different accounts but I wanted to switch between work mode where I only had things like email, browser, and phone... For that, I just use a different launcher like Nova and hide all the distracting apps.

mikedoeslife

Apr 23, 2015
Melbourne
twitter.com
Multi User, is not for kids. It is for those who want to separate Work/Friends/family profiles where each user/profile has its own contacts, Facebook, Whatsapp, etc....

Exactly. I want to have a work profile active during the day, and then switch to personal when I go home. I have a high-pressure job and sometimes I want to simply switch out of that environment all-together - not simply mute notifications or go into Do Not Disturb mode.

I used the switchable profiles a lot on my Nexus and Pixel phones, so I miss it quite a bit now that I'm on the S8!

AmgAdly

Aug 13, 2005
For rooted phone, add the following two lines to /system/build.prop :
Code:
fw.max_users=3
fw.show_multiuserui=1
Then reboot your phone, and you will see the icon in notification.

Exactly. I want to have a work profile active during the day, and then switch to personal when I go home. I have a high-pressure job and sometimes I want to simply switch out of that environment all-together - not simply mute notifications or go into Do Not Disturb mode.

I used the switchable profiles a lot on my Nexus and Pixel phones, so I miss it quite a bit now that I'm on the S8!

Now you can :)
All what you need to do is to root your device and use the above code at the end of buid.prop file.
I have also seen that both Snapdragon & Exynos versions have got rooted.

Chears

unbreakable360

Mar 28, 2011
Not that I know of. But you can use secure folder instead. It will let you set up a secure and independent environment where you'll be able to install any app independent from main interface. You'll be able to fresh install games, use another WhatsApp, viber etc. account.

Thank god for this member ive been trying parrell space to no avail and i guess i had to word it differently in search but yes secure folder lets you log in another email and it doesnt come with any extra apps unless you downooad them. Of course it doubles the google stuff and whatever app you're using for second account

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For rooted phone, add the following two lines to /system/build.prop :
    Code:
    fw.max_users=3
    fw.show_multiuserui=1
    Then reboot your phone, and you will see the icon in notification.

Hi, Kids mode uses same accounts as normal user, so no good. Secure Folder works, but you can only add one more user, Android stock is 4 users plus guest.

Shame Samsung stop this.