Multitask like pre

Search This thread
Oct 24, 2008
I think the nexus can run more than two apps...

*Good night everybody, thanks for having me!*

I LOL'ed! :D

On-topic. I'm too hoping for a Pre-like multitasking app (or built in)
Engadget had an article with a video showing a multitouch function in the homescreen on a HTC Hero! Don't know if it's a leak of Sense 2.1 or something else, but that seemed like a great idea for multitasking. -> pinch to zoom out and get an overview of running apps!

Aeonys

Jan 27, 2010
Hi all.
Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I really hope some dev will do it. There is a precedent on iphone with PS. So we, android happy user deserve the same love.

Feb 10, 2010
Franklin, TN
twitter.com
What about adding a new section in the pull-down notification panel and call it like "recent" with an icon for the 6 recent apps seen when long pressing the home button?

Maybe if an app that already stays in the notification panel while running (AIM for instance) it wouldn't show up in this particular "running" section since its already got a dedicated line?

xombe

Feb 9, 2010
Jackson, MI
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine just got a Palm pre plus. Nice phone, not bad at all. I still prefer my Nexus but one tool really did caught my eye on the Palm.

The multitasking ability is wonderfull on the Pre. the ability to view small windows of every tasks you are running, moving left of right to switch and up to close/kill an app is just plain awesome.

I know jailbroken Iphone can download a similar app through cydia. So if the Iphone can do it, Why can't I find anything alike for Android?

That would be a great app that for sure many would download as it is just nice looking.

thanks a lot for reading.

Aeonys

I moved from the Pre to the N1. While I am happy with the switch, Palm does have multitasking down well. The ability to switch among running apps is much smoother in the Pre than that of Android based devices.

D

diversificationied

I LOL'ed! :D

On-topic. I'm too hoping for a Pre-like multitasking app (or built in)
Engadget had an article with a video showing a multitouch function in the homescreen on a HTC Hero! Don't know if it's a leak of Sense 2.1 or something else, but that seemed like a great idea for multitasking. -> pinch to zoom out and get an overview of running apps!
\

Do you have a link to that article? I just looked(half-assed it) but didn't find anything.

Oct 24, 2008
\

Do you have a link to that article? I just looked(half-assed it) but didn't find anything.

Err, i found it, but the forum won't let me post the link since i haven't posted enough before :rolleyes:

But just head over to Engadgets site and type "Hero" in the searchfield. The second article is the one I'm talking about. The headline says: HTC Hero shows off multitouch-enabled Sense UI on video.

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Err, i found it, but the forum won't let me post the link since i haven't posted enough before :rolleyes:

But just head over to Engadgets site and type "Hero" in the searchfield. The second article is the one I'm talking about. The headline says: HTC Hero shows off multitouch-enabled Sense UI on video.

This is NOT a card view like on the Pre. Not even close. This is just a card view of the home screens. You can have this right now on your N1 by downloading Launcher+ which allows for this by long-pressing the Menu soft-key. Nothing spectacular and not really useful. MT isn't the be all and end all of these devices. In fact, I find it gets in the way more often than being an important feature. Multi-tasking is nice on Android. Are people so lazy that they can't click Home and then the app? You would have to slide through a million cards to get to the app you want anyway. Based on TaskOS, which does this in a minor way, I'd rather just go to my home screen and go from there.

Last edited:

Iman07

Jul 11, 2007
This is NOT a card view like on the Pre. Not even close. This is just a car view of the home screens. You can have this right now on your N1s by downloading Launcher+ which allows for this by long-pressing the Menu soft-key. Nothing spectacular and not really useful. MT isn't the be all and end all of these devices. In fact, I find it gets in the way more often than being an important feature. Multi-tasking is nice on Android. Are people so lazy that they can't click Home and then the app? You would have to slide through a million cards to get to the app you want anyway. Based on TaskOS, which does this in a minor way, I'd rather just go to my home screen and go from there.

maybe cards arnt the best way to switch between all the apps that are running, but i wouldnt mind having a card view for my recent 6. and then when i close it the next running app takes its place.

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
you guys need to realize how multitasking is done on android. as soon as an application loses the focus, it can and will be closed by android at will. all applications that really run in background are services without any kind of GUI.

so for this to happen, android would need to change a significant and important part of it's design.

Iman07

Jul 11, 2007
you guys need to realize how multitasking is done on android. as soon as an application loses the focus, it can and will be closed by android at will. all applications that really run in background are services without any kind of GUI.

so for this to happen, android would need to change a significant and important part of it's design.

someone should get on it then. there needs to be some kind of threshold. i mean my nexus gets down to like 30mb of free ram and thats just stupid. i want at least 50mb free even with all my IMPORTANT apps running. i find myself having to close like half of the stuff that i never even wanted. running only my important stuff i have about 120mb free and that with ALL my IMPORTANT apps running. no reason its should get down till 30mb. when is the android built in task manager suppose to kick in and close the apps? cuz it hasnt happen yet. i know how it works, it just hasnt done it yet.

deprecate

Jan 3, 2009
honolulu
I have to disagree with you on this Sir. proswitcher and Multiflow are both apps made by some user to compensate a HUGE lack in the Iphone.

Very true. I never said they weren't created for that reason so I fail to see what you are disagreeing with :)

They are comparable to Cyanogen making multitouch on the Nexus (on the video it was shaky and unprecise at best). Besides, they can hardly work well because of the phone's design (solo tasking).

first, Cyan did not make MT on the N1. The N1 natively supported it which is how the dolphin browser was able to implement it. The N1s that shipped overseas had MT globally...Cyan released a broswer hack that afforded the users the ability to have MT in the stock browser.

The multitasking solutions on the iphone work poorly because of their design? I couldn't agree more. So again, what are you disagreeing with? :)

Now you've got the Nexus: Lots of power, and able to multitask. So with such a device I don't think it would be SOOOOO complicated to actually make a switching feature like it exists with great success on the Palm PRE.

I grew so accustomed to how my iphone worked, i still forget to hold down the home button for easy access to recent apps. :D I also go about how I use gadgets quite differently than most so while having a solution like the cards on the pre would definitely be nice, it isn't something that *I* require...

I had to spend quite a long while the first time on my wife's Iphone just to get Proswitcher (unlock/root/blackstuff/cydia/backgrounder/proswitcher/settings) to get this important app: because quite frankly, yes it's buggy but it's awesome to be ABLE to do more than 1 thing at the same time like looking for apps and installing apps for example...

It's really not that difficult :p I would say the iphone is the second easiest platform to unlock behind the Pre.

My Pal who's got the PRE now has this feature built it. His PRE is nice, no offense, but the Nexus kills it. This feature would be one of the only thing I'm really jealous about.

Ya, two of my friends switched from the Pre to the N1 and both claim to not really miss the multitasking all too much with how many benefits the N1 has.

The biggest mistake with phones thus far I have made was ditching my G1 for an iphone when I moved from tmo->att. I should have just dealt with the edge speeds and called it a day.

xManMythLegend

Dec 1, 2008
NYC

Long pressing home screen brings up 6 most recent apps.
Only difference would be long pressing and having those 6 apps appear in a card view ala pre/pro switcher or maybe something unique but as pretty.

Thats it.
Theres no need to overhaul anything.

eabinsan

Sep 24, 2009
Long pressing home screen brings up 6 most recent apps.
Only difference would be long pressing and having those 6 apps appear in a card view ala pre/pro switcher or maybe something unique but as pretty.

Thats it.
Theres no need to overhaul anything.

The only problem is that those 6 most recent applications are not neccessarily running anymore, so there might be nothing to show.

D

diversificationied

What is there to show anyways? Stuff would only be legible in the card view with two maybe three apps running. Anything else and you won't be able to read from the card view. You'll have to switch to the app anyways.

vivanshah

Dec 21, 2009
someone should get on it then. there needs to be some kind of threshold. i mean my nexus gets down to like 30mb of free ram and thats just stupid. i want at least 50mb free even with all my IMPORTANT apps running. i find myself having to close like half of the stuff that i never even wanted. running only my important stuff i have about 120mb free and that with ALL my IMPORTANT apps running. no reason its should get down till 30mb. when is the android built in task manager suppose to kick in and close the apps? cuz it hasnt happen yet. i know how it works, it just hasnt done it yet.

free ram is wasted ram

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
you sir win!

I mean come on people, if your not using the ram then its being wasted. Push your device to its limits and use it all like its supposed to be done. This is just like when people get 8 gigs of ram for their pc and then only do web surfing. Its a waste.

Absolutely. While I would like the option (I wouldn't necessarily use it) of having some eye candy, I'm quite happy with the way everything works now. I'd like to see long-pressing the Home key show the ten or twelve apps. Why not show some more? Why waste the screen space. But the bottom line is that all 285+ apps on my phone are organized into folders on my home screen so NOTHING is more than, at most, three clicks away. My most common thirty-two are never more than two clicks away. Since I got my N1 I no longer use a task manager. The only reason I have it installed is if I need it to kill an app for a particular reason, e.g. while developing. Otherwise, the N1 is so freakin' fast I don't care how many apps are running. For the record, I had my N1 running for eight straight days without a single hiccup and only rebooted to flash an updated ROM. This things rocks. So everyone needs to stop being so lazy and just click Home, Folder/Launcher, App. Three to five seconds at the most.

PS: TaskOS is coming along nicely for those looking for some eye candy and a GUI switcher. You can rewire the Search button if you really want, too.

xManMythLegend

Dec 1, 2008
NYC
The only problem is that those 6 most recent applications are not neccessarily running anymore, so there might be nothing to show.

Right. That is an inherent problem. But one that can be solved by adding a recent screen cap. The card doesnt necessarily have to be "live". Its for ease of use and better GUI.

free ram is wasted ram

No. Its not.

People are under the impression that you should run your system until theres no ram left.
You need free ram and frankly a decent amount of it. Apps dont use static amounts of memory , depending on whats going on it could fluctuate drastically. Waiting for the OS to free up ram by killing idle tasks is more time consuming that just utilizing whats available.

Absolutely. While I would like the option (I wouldn't necessarily use it) of having some eye candy, I'm quite happy with the way everything works now. I'd like to see long-pressing the Home key show the ten or twelve apps. Why not show some more? Why waste the screen space. But the bottom line is that all 285+ apps on my phone are organized into folders on my home screen so NOTHING is more than, at most, three clicks away. My most common thirty-two are never more than two clicks away. Since I got my N1 I no longer use a task manager. The only reason I have it installed is if I need it to kill an app for a particular reason, e.g. while developing. Otherwise, the N1 is so freakin' fast I don't care how many apps are running. For the record, I had my N1 running for eight straight days without a single hiccup and only rebooted to flash an updated ROM. This things rocks. So everyone needs to stop being so lazy and just click Home, Folder/Launcher, App. Three to five seconds at the most.

PS: TaskOS is coming along nicely for those looking for some eye candy and a GUI switcher. You can rewire the Search button if you really want, too.

Lazy ?
The whole premise of good design is to make things easier. Your way is cumbersome and ugly to most no matter how comforting it is to you.

Staring at a bunch of folders and taking 4 steps to get to a prog you just closed would be insanely poor design sorry.

If you can make things easier ,more usefyl AND better looking youre doing it right.

SilentMobius

Apr 17, 2007
Ok, so you hold down home and get the last few applications in a card like view.

Easy enough to do.

What do those "cards" show? The current parent view of the app or the parent view state the last time you switched away from it? So the app may not be running, so we'll need to save a screenshot each time a process hibernates (anyone fancy adding that to the core framework?)

This is pretty much what you need to do due to the way android multi-tasks.

As to those people arguing that they want more free ram. being able to decide the "at least this much" threshold would be nice, would give the users a feeling of power back. Would it make much difference to the performance of the phone? I doubt it.

Yeah it really is, that why GNU/Linux uses free memory as disk cache, because its _that_ easy to free up the memory for usage when needed. Now if you're paging/swapping data out of memory that can cause performance burps when memory is freed swapping things back in, but Android doesn't do that, so unused memory is wasted memory.

Linux disk cache: http://www.linuxhowtos.org/System/Linux Memory Management.htm
Vista does it too: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/09/why-does-vista-use-all-my-memory.html

Last edited: