Multitouch crossing axis

Search This thread

kalinf

Feb 3, 2012
Edinburgh
Seems my Galaxy Nexus is demonstrating the same or similar behaviour as well. With both the 2 and the 4 finger touches on a non grounded surface. Make of that what you will.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Cynnthetic

Aug 15, 2012
I thought I didn't have it, till I realized that having it charging is grounding it. Now I realize I do have it. What I don't understand though, is why would it affect people in real life? Do you guys not hold the tablet to play games? I'm just curious, so I know how bad this will affect me potentially down the line.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

How about playing games while it's in a case? That's where problems start for me. I want a travel case in portfolio form, but I don't want to remove the N7 every time I game. That's why i'd love to see a home made fix for this from someone.

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
What I find odd is that touching the N7 "grounds" it...
The back is plastic, the bezel is plastic, none of it conducts electricity. I didnt think you could ground something by touching a plastic part of it.

With my G2 I have to touch the metal bezel to ground it, touching the rubberized parts have no effect.

So now im wondering, maybe for those with the two finger issue or worse, maybe one of those metal spring clips for the antennas arent making proper contact with the back cover?

AZImmortal

Dec 22, 2010
The back is plastic, the bezel is plastic, none of it conducts electricity. I didnt think you could ground something by touching a plastic part of it.

With my G2 I have to touch the metal bezel to ground it, touching the rubberized parts have no effect.

So now im wondering, maybe for those with the two finger issue or worse, maybe one of those metal spring clips for the antennas arent making proper contact with the back cover?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. How would proper contact with the back cover be affected by whether I place the tablet on a wooden table or metal table?

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
The back cover isnt rigid so by holding it, you may just be pushing the back cover into the metal pins, creating a better contact.
I havent noticed anyone talking about just putting it on a conductive flat surface though, if that fixes the problem as well, then never mind.

Just a theory, because AFAIK you dont ground things by touching a plastic piece.

Solange82200

Mar 27, 2009
How about playing games while it's in a case? That's where problems start for me. I want a travel case in portfolio form, but I don't want to remove the N7 every time I game. That's why i'd love to see a home made fix for this from someone.

Interesting, with mine if I hold it by the case it still grounds it. I have a cloth/cardboard like case from caseable.com, and holding it by the edge without touching the tablet grounds mine. I wonder which kind of cases we should avoid that prohibit grounding while touching.....

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

The back cover isnt rigid so by holding it, you may just be pushing the back cover into the metal pins, creating a better contact.
I havent noticed anyone talking about just putting it on a conductive flat surface though, if that fixes the problem as well, then never mind.

Just a theory, because AFAIK you dont ground things by touching a plastic piece.

If yours doesn't do it with two fingers, there has got to be some sort of fix right? I've already done three rma's and this is the most decent one I've gotten, I don't dare rma again and risk getting a worse one or one that still has the multi touch problem

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Interesting, with mine if I hold it by the case it still grounds it. I have a cloth/cardboard like case from caseable.com, and holding it by the edge without touching the tablet grounds mine. I wonder which kind of cases we should avoid that prohibit grounding while touching.....

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

If yours doesn't do it with two fingers, there has got to be some sort of fix right? I've already done three rma's and this is the most decent one I've gotten, I don't dare rma again and risk getting a worse one or one that still has the multi touch problem

I'm going to be popping off the back cover later to paint it anyway, so I'll try the same test again with naked nexus on my wooden table. If it starts two finger glitching, then my theory about improper contact between backcover and metal contacts would be confirmed.

Solution would be to VERY CAREFULLY bend the metal pins out a TINY BIT. I've heard theyre sensitive and someone else on these forums had to delicately solder one back on after he snapped it lol.

dilldoe

Jul 26, 2012

well the inside of the back cover is conductive, so I'm guessing it's capacitive like the screen.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

I'm going to be popping off the back cover later to paint it anyway, so I'll try the same test again with naked nexus on my wooden table. If it starts two finger glitching, then my theory about improper contact between backcover and metal contacts would be confirmed.

Solution would be to VERY CAREFULLY bend the metal pins out a TINY BIT. I've heard theyre sensitive and someone else on these forums had to delicately solder one back on after he snapped it lol.

it's not improper contact, it's just not enough grounding. try placing it on a baking pan and the issue disappear

Solange82200

Mar 27, 2009

Please try and keep us updated, thanks!

AZImmortal

Dec 22, 2010

I'm not sure that this will prove much since you'd be removing some of the hardware. The grounded vs ungrounded surface will show you that it's not a physical problem. You've already seen yourself that your four point problem goes away when placed on your knee. As for the rigidity of the cover, I'd say that it's very rigid. Maybe it's not a sheet of metal, but it's far from flexible.

Nippero

Oct 13, 2008
New York, NY
Well I figured it wouldnt hurt to try. And try I did. No difference with the back off.
Popped the back off, and put it on my bed, still had no issue with 2 fingers, and the 4 finger issue was still present.

opcow

Oct 14, 2010
Ice Station Zebra
I have this issue as well. Touching the bezel doesn't really do much to change it but touching the USB port or headphone jack does. Just holding the tablet near my body makes the problem go away, as well. My N7 is in a leather case, BTW, and if I lay it flat on my legs the multi-touch glitching goes away despite the fact that I am not in direct physical contact with it (other than the fingers on the screen). Even holding it it the palm of my hand with the case folded back so it's separated from my hand by 2 pieces of leather some padding and cloth, the problem is gone.

ahfpired

Nov 9, 2010
I've experienced an issue with just a single-touch with the full pad of my thumb or index finger:

Kind of a shame since it's such a high quality tablet otherwise. I'll have to try out grounding the screen with headphones, charger, etc. to see if it's grounding or something else.

That's EXACTLY what I've found with mine... I simply don't know if it's a hardware issue or if it's that I have big thumbs!!!! I tried to replicate the issue with my Galaxy Nexus (StocK too) and the problem is not present....

ahfpired

Nov 9, 2010
Same problem with the thumb as well.

I have an RMA with ASUS already but I'm not sure to send it. I had to wait like 45 minutes in order to talk with a representative. And I am very sure they will not find the problem. I will have to pay to send it and wait like two weeks to probably receive it back the same way. If I could only find a solution...

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGIpr75opOQ

Placing the tablet on foil paper and touching the foil fixes the problem....

Reactions: .torrented

AZImmortal

Dec 22, 2010
All signs indicate that every single Nexus 7 has this problem. You can try seeing if they'll attempt to fix it (I'd be interested to see what they have to say about it at this point).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Works fine here in two different multiouch testers. I do get the 180 degree flips in Dead Trigger though so I'm thinking there's something up with the game itself as well.

Edit: It works fine so long as the N7 is held. Flat on its back on a surface and it glitches as shown in the video. Intriguing. Anyone want to do some follow up testing on this?

I've always had the 180 degree flip problem with Shadow Gun and I now have it with Dead Trigger and it's on any device. (Kindle Fire-CM9, Galaxy Nexus, Droid X...etc)
    Let's keep this thread related to diagnosing and solving this issue, not debating personal philosophies on spending $200. Regardless of whether this issue is acceptable or not, people are having it and do not like it.
    it's a grounding issue, so any solution to ground the device would work.
    Put it on your lap
    put it on the ground
    plug in your headphones put it in your ear
    touch the headphone port
    hold it
    have someone else hold it
    plug into your stereo/speakers.
    etc...

point is MULTITOUCH STILL WORKS. it's only that 1% of a time when your fingers cross AND device has no path to ground would this occur.

it's not MY idea that features needs to be advertise, it was Draje0. If a brake fails to stop you during a snow storm, does that mean it has to be recalled? I mean it works to stop the car 99% of the time, only just that 1 time. I mean I could've put snow tires on, or a chain, but that involves additional hardware is unacceptable to me

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

I believe he has his nexus on the floor, which essentially grounds the device. try it yourself.

So it's up to me to find the solution to ground the device? It's as easy as using my tablet on the ground, eh? :rolleyes: Again, I might not be in a position to ground the device easily. If you're fine with the way your device works, then I'm glad for you. Feel free to leave this thread because it's obviously of no use to you. We're here trying to find permanent solutions, not just go out of our way to work around a design flaw, and as far as I'm concerned, all you're doing is trolling.
    Zero problems here, I used 8 fingers and dragged them all over, across each other, etc, except for when very close together no snapping together, no axis crossing problem, etc.

And I tested up to 11 touches, no problem. I'm a dude, so I can manage that.
    Darn, you had my hopes up for a second. I was about to run back to office depot exchange for a fourth one. Thanks for checking.
    The multi touch crossing axis issue hasn't bothered me that much, but there are a couple other digitizer issues that have been getting annoying from time to time. I believe they are related. When I'm scrolling down a webpage slowly while reading, if I press too much of my thumb on the screen, the page will start start giggling all over, as if my thumb was having a seizure. And something that's only happened a couple times, the screen will become very unresponsive, only registering about half my touches and swipes. I've opened the multitouch app when its acting up to confirm its the digitizer not responding. Rebooting fixes this second issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Rebooting every time can get annoying.
    Try just locking it (briefly press the power button) and then unlocking again (without touching the screen when you press the power button the second time to unlock it). That usually fixes it for me.