• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Music app not syncing/recognizing artist names

Search This thread

VJKotts

Nov 7, 2009
New York
I've tried syncr, I've tried double twist and I've tried dragging and dropping but in all cases, the phone is not recognizing the artist names of many songs. It labels them as unknown. This is driving me nuts.
When I take the SD card out and place it in my droid X, all the songs that went previously unrecognized are now recognized.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

chargen2

May 1, 2011
Stratford, ON
I've tried syncr, I've tried double twist and I've tried dragging and dropping but in all cases, the phone is not recognizing the artist names of many songs. It labels them as unknown. This is driving me nuts.
When I take the SD card out and place it in my droid X, all the songs that went previously unrecognized are now recognized.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Are they m4a files? There is another thread where people have found that m4a files aren't working properly. They play just fine, but the artist and some other info isn't recognized properly for some reason.
Haven't seen a fix yet, but it sure is annoying!

Beckim

Jul 31, 2009
Are they m4a files? There is another thread where people have found that m4a files aren't working properly. They play just fine, but the artist and some other info isn't recognized properly for some reason.

Just move allo music folder or/and files to the main Music folder. it doesnt work if you have music files in you own SD card or another map. It has to be in Phone memory.

Beckim

Jul 31, 2009

You have to move your multimedia files to phon memory and it will work fine. It doesent work if your multimediafile´s are in extern sd card.

evilskanker

Apr 6, 2008
Just move allo music folder or/and files to the main Music folder. it doesnt work if you have music files in you own SD card or another map. It has to be in Phone memory.

Not sure if that is right. I've tried it on the phone's 16gb memory, and on my external microSD card - neither works. When I add them to Kies on my desktop they are also missing the some of the info in the fields shown in the 'library'. It's all very confusing - really hope it can get sorted out soon as it's the one thing that's annoying the hell out of me.

Last edited:

chargen2

May 1, 2011
Stratford, ON

Didn't seem to make any difference. To be clear, I didn't have a 'Music' folder in the root of the internal phone memory, so I created one and put my music in sub-directories. Is that what you meant?

Z

Zaphod_b_1

Do you use MP3 files? Then this could be an issue with the ID3 Tag. You can solve it in two ways:

1) only using ID3 V1 Tags
2) using ID3 V2.3 Tags with ISO-8859-1 Charakter Set. Android seems to have problems with UTF-8/16 and ID3 V2.4

Cheers

Zap

evilskanker

Apr 6, 2008
Do you use MP3 files? Then this could be an issue with the ID3 Tag. You can solve it in two ways:

2) using ID3 V2.3 Tags with ISO-8859-1 Charakter Set. Android seems to have problems with UTF-8/16 and ID3 V2.4

Cheers

Zap

It's my m4a files that I think I (and others) have the problem with.

Is there any program that you know of to change the tags of m4a files as a batch? Really don't want to have to do it individually!

Z

Zaphod_b_1

I use usually a Prog called "MP3Tag". Unfortunately I do not know actually if a) it is available in English language (I'm German)
b) it also works with m4a files.

Usage is quiet simple: Just open your Music folder on your PC with the program, edit the settings to fit with what I've written above, apply the settings, select all files, copy and paste the tags, save the files - finished.

Cheers

Zap

Edit: I've checked it: The Prog is available in English and it supports m4a. Just look at the website: www.mp3tag.de

Last edited:

chargen2

May 1, 2011
Stratford, ON
The test files I'm working with are files purchased from the iTunes music store. I certainly don't want to rewrite the ID tags for any files, or convert the files from one format to another. I think this would classify as a bug that Samsung should fix, in my opinion.

I have a workaround, namely browsing folders via Poweramp. It's certainly not ideal, but will get me by for the time being.

What is the proper method of inquiring with Samsung about this? Call Samsung via the Support number on their pages? Is their phone support any good?

Since I bought this UK model and shipped it to Canada, would I need to call Samsung UK? (Samsung Canada doesn't list the GT-I9100 as a supported model on their site)

Z

Zaphod_b_1

I can understand this, maybe you crash more than repair it. Yes, a different Music app with its own - well, let's call it "engine" - could also solve the problem. This could be worth a try.

On the other hand there are also users who do not want to have that much apps and want to use the stuff which is coming with the little green bot originally - they definetely will suffer from that issue, because it's Android - dependent and not Manufacturer - dependent. So I think you will not reach anything by talking to Samsung.

Just have a look here. Lots of defects regarding The bot and MP3. Just search "yours" (the one that fits best) ;-). Hopefully the big G will fix them some time.

Cheers

Zap

VJKotts

Nov 7, 2009
New York
Found out the AAC music files are the ones that are not getting tagged properly. I'm thinking of converting them to MP3 which will be a long process.
Is their an easier way to tag the songs so that they get recognized?

daviejam

Apr 22, 2011
did anyone further forward with this? I've got m4a files. I transcoded all of them to mp3 and still the artist showed as unknown.

Is it an ID tag version issue as the earlier poster said?

urbanomad

May 25, 2011
Berlin

Cheers

Zap

I updated my tags (option 2 above, maybe I'll have more time to try option 1 tomorrow) like you recommended but the default player and Songbird both do not recognise the Artist... :-(

Last edited:

urbanomad

May 25, 2011
Berlin
I have my music files on my external sdcard. I synced with iTunemywalkman, the key is to code them (Playlists tab) NOT in UTF-8 but Western European (ISO Latin-1).

I created a Samsung/music/ folder on my external sdcard and the built-in player as well as Songbird player are working fine.

Last edited:

rummyr

May 11, 2011
Might be worth trying mediafix by gorgonloop

Its on the market, it's free and it worked for me (Itunes .mpa files not showing artist and using folder name as album name, etc.)