• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Must have apps

Search This thread

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Some of my favorites:

- Nova (best launcher ever?)
- Microsoft authenticator (2FA; nice because of cloud backup/restore and fingerprint needed when opening app - extra security)
- Osmand for offline (OpenStreet)maps
- Poweramp pro (best player IMHO - support for hires FLAC)
- App freezer (must have if you want to freeze APKs; root and NON-root)
- Chronus widgets
- Substratum with Swift Dark (I use it only to generate overlays for Twitter/Whatsapp/Instagram so that their color is consistent with the Google 'dark' color)
- Today weather (visually one of the nicest weather apps)
- Overdrop (another nice weather app)
- Garmin (since I own a Garmin GPS) + health sync (to sync Garmin bike rides to Google Fit)
- Geocaching
- Wavelet
- ConvertBee (multi unit convertor)

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

gmfeld

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
What are folks using for a music player? I don't see any mentions. I'm using Music only because I did t find any other app with a decent rating. Anyone using something other than a streaming servic?

For streaming, I use quobuz. High rez streaming.

Alekos

1. Newpipe (youtube replacement that includes soundcloud & bandcamps client - for web, use api.invidious.io to pick closest server to your country)
  2. Spotify
  3. Audio Recorder [fdroid] (excellent UI and amazing quality v9.0.22)
  4. Signal (apk from signal's website)
  5. Catima (for all rewards cards and your Vax QR Code)
  6. Shortcutter
  7. Bitwarden
  8. Geometric Weather (such a perfect, transparent widget, looks awesome on the home screen when using 3rd party launcher)
  9. Lawnchair Launcher v12 (sometimes us a launcher, this one is great, free and based on Pixel Launcher, the play store has an older version, grab v12 on their github/telegram page)
  10. X-Plore (File Manager to transfer files to pc or streaming device)
  11. BlueWallet
  12. TomTom AmiGo maps (New app, great alternative to GMaps - interface is nice and big for unfamiliar travels)
  13. SMS Backup & Restore by SyncTech (best call/sms backup/restore app - been using it for at least 6 years)
  14. Bromite (Chromium alt with built-in adblocker)
  15. NextDNS (not an app but PrivateDNS profile in network settings to block ads/trackers/telemetry)

Last edited:
Reactions: galaxys

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Some of my favorites:

- Nova (best launcher ever?)
- Microsoft authenticator (2FA; nice because of cloud backup/restore and fingerprint needed when opening app - extra security)
- Osmand for offline (OpenStreet)maps
- Poweramp pro (best player IMHO - support for hires FLAC)
- App freezer (must have if you want to freeze APKs; root and NON-root)
- Chronus widgets
- Substratum with Swift Dark (I use it only to generate overlays for Twitter/Whatsapp/Instagram so that their color is consistent with the Google 'dark' color)
- Today weather (visually one of the nicest weather apps)
- Overdrop (another nice weather app)
- Garmin (since I own a Garmin GPS) + health sync (to sync Garmin bike rides to Google Fit)
- Geocaching
- Wavelet
- ConvertBee (multi unit convertor)

You should think twice about using m$ authenticator (or anything they offer for that matter). No way to know what they're doing with the codes.

Use andotp, which is open source.

foobar66

Jan 8, 2011
Brussels
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You should think twice about using m$ authenticator (or anything they offer for that matter). No way to know what they're doing with the codes.

Use andotp, which is open source.
Yes, I'm generally very wary of M$ stuff ... but in this case, this app was adviced to me by security people who know what they're saying. So I have a good amount of trust in it. Microsoft is not stupid (anymore). I don't love them but I don't hate them any longer either - the've come a long way ... ;-)
It's a good app with cloud backup/restore of the accounts and the additional protection of FPS any time when you switch to the app from another screen to avoid evesdropping. So I'm pretty cool with it.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Yes, I'm generally very wary of M$ stuff ... but in this case, this app was adviced to me by security people who know what they're saying. So I have a good amount of trust in it. Microsoft is not stupid (anymore). I don't love them but I don't hate them any longer either - the've come a long way ... ;-)
It's a good app with cloud backup/restore of the accounts and the additional protection of FPS any time when you switch to the app from another screen to avoid evesdropping. So I'm pretty cool with it.

No competent "security" people would ever recommend that. Maybe a paid ape, but that's it. No sense trusting something that can't be trusted when something good is available.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Relay
    Kiwi Browser
    Twitter
    Adguard
    Liv Dark
    Nova
    Walli
    YouTube Vanced
    Viper4Android
    Some of my favorite apps:
    • Boost (for reddit)
    • Nine (for MS Exchange)
    • Bandsintown
    • Citymapper
    • TomTom GO
    • Aegis (like Google Authenticator, but nicer)
    • Deliveries
    • FlashScore
    • JuiceSSH
    • Keepass2Android
    • Root Explorer
    • DailyPic
    • Syncthing
    I do like textra as well. Trying to compare to pixel messenger. Its been a long time since I've used the native app. Ive only started to scratch the surface of nova with all the options it gives.
    I know we have a few threads about battery-saving apps or theme managers. Just wanted to know, outside of those what are your must-have apps/Wigets. I am always looking to try new products and services but always like to hear real-world experiences.

Some of mine,
    Pandora
    Spotify
    Slack
    Outlook
    K9-mail
    WeatherBug

Lose k9. I used to use it, but its unreliable. Switched to fairemail, which works a LOT better.

Must haves are... All the nextcloud parts mostly, andotp, and obviously fairemail.
    Fairemail
    Calengoo
    Wavelet
    Nekogram + Signal + Whatsapp
    Nova Launcher
    Adaway
    Vanced Youtube + Arktube
    Swiftbackup
    Collabora Office
    F-Stop Gallery
    Vivaldi & Opera Browser
    True Phone Keepass2Android