MUST READ!! Archos tablets also have Wifi/GPS issues after ICS update!

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Hey Guys, just thought I would pass this info along that I found really interesting. I have a friend who recently purchased the Archos G9 tablet, which came with Honeycomb. His Wifi/GPS worked great during this time, but after updating to ICS, his wifi signal is considerably weaker,(even drops connections) and he can no longer get a GPS lock! Also, it seems to be a widespread problem for the recently released Archos devices. Before ICS, they had no wifi/GPS issues, but right after the update, numerous owners are reporting that they can no longer get a GPS lock, or they may only pick up one satellite even when outdoors, but lose the signals as soon as they are in motion. Now this seems to be one hell of a coincidence don't you think?? Can anyone confirm that GPS and wifi was better for them before updating to ICS?? I also attached the forum link for you guys as proof of the ICS update issue. Apparently, Archos is working with Google to determine the cause of the GPS/wifi issues since the update. Now I am not saying that ICS is the root cause of our issues, but it is possible that it is compounding the problem with the metal backed plate on our Primes. It's well known that Asus installed two wifi chips to compensate for the metal backing, but what if the ICS code is also hindering on the wifi/gps performance??

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=63669&start=140

benefit14snake

Dec 23, 2011
Henrico, VA
Interesting read for sure. Well hopefully the big surprise from Asus is a new firmware with most of the issues fixed. Can't wait to see what they have instore for us. Then can't wait for diamond to integrate the good parts into his rom so I can flash it =)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Mcoupe

Jan 16, 2011
....ring......ring........Hello.......um hold on...... GAAAAAARRRRRYYY! GARY! YOU HAVE A PHONE CALL.......[who is it ma!].....SOMEONE NAMED ARCHOS????.......

YoMarK

Sep 15, 2007
My Nexus One on unofficial ICS has the same wifi reception as on gingerbread. This being said, it also uses almost the same kernel and the same proprietary drivers as on gingerbread. My point is : ICS is not the problem. IF there is a software issue that can somehow be fixed, it should/must be done in the kernel/driver area.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA

DelboyG

Nov 10, 2005
Dubai - UAE
Well.. I figure I have to reply to that post...

I have a Archos 80 G9 that I bought after reading too many horry stories on XDA, my heart was really set on a ATP but I figured that I would get a tablet that would a) be upgaded to ICS and b) I wouldn't mind giving way once the dust had settled and bugs have been ironed out.

I have been following these threads since the ATP hit the shelve, but they have not reached the ME where I live and after reading here there was now way I would buy an import without warranty support... So as I say I bought a cheapo Archos just to get me by.

I can now confirm the OP's statement. the Wifi problem is in ICS (can't say that about the GPS as I've not tested). I've read about you guys opening the boxx and from the start upgrading from HC to ICS so you've never seen the ATP running on HC. With the Archcos I had a good 2 month running on HC before the ICS upgrade so I can sure see the difference. The main problem I faced with the Archos on HC was anything using video - Youtube & Skype come to mind off the top of my head - they were both un-useable, but I figured you get what you pay for and let's see what the ICS upgrade brings.

Low and behold, after ICS, my WiFi is crap in comparision to before, I can't put my fingure on the issiue, but it's sure weaker connection, or doesn't connect automatically, or just won't allow me to load a web page! In addition, the touch screen is way less responsive in that I'm having topoke and poke again at the screen to make anything happen - that may be because the WiFi is crap so I don't have internet access, or it may be a touch screen issue. Either way it feels like I've jumped out of the pan and into the fire - no video before (now that is better), but I never know when I have internet access.

Well spotted OP... if there is anything I can test from here, let me know OK

DelboyG

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Interesting read for sure. Well hopefully the big surprise from Asus is a new firmware with most of the issues fixed. Can't wait to see what they have instore for us. Then can't wait for diamond to integrate the good parts into his rom so I can flash it =)

That's exactly what I'm thinking. The new firmware fix could possibly address the WiFi issues which seems to be also caused by ICS. Maybe this is why Asus are returning RMA's with the same issues, could be that their dual WiFi components are working as intended, but ics is causing signal issues! This will be great news if the problem can be solved through a firmware update

benefit14snake

Dec 23, 2011
Henrico, VA
Well if the wifi gets fixed on this tablet I will have zero complaints what so ever. GPS bothers me, but not much. Ill probably try to fix the small light bleed I have.

......and the thread blows up with speculation.... lol

jkvato

May 23, 2011
Southern California
I had GPS problems on the Prime before ICS. While there could be something in ICS that hinders GPS reception, I think it's well established that there are hardware problems with the Prime with respect to GPS and wifi reception.

My wifi seemed to be the same on HC as ICS; I haven't had any problems before or after upgrading.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Well.. I figure I have to reply to that post...

I have a Archos 80 G9 that I bought after reading too many horry stories on XDA, my heart was really set on a ATP but I figured that I would get a tablet that would a) be upgaded to ICS and b) I wouldn't mind giving way once the dust had settled and bugs have been ironed out.

I have been following these threads since the ATP hit the shelve, but they have not reached the ME where I live and after reading here there was now way I would buy an import without warranty support... So as I say I bought a cheapo Archos just to get me by.

I can now confirm the OP's statement. the Wifi problem is in ICS (can't say that about the GPS as I've not tested). I've read about you guys opening the boxx and from the start upgrading from HC to ICS so you've never seen the ATP running on HC. With the Archcos I had a good 2 month running on HC before the ICS upgrade so I can sure see the difference. The main problem I faced with the Archos on HC was anything using video - Youtube & Skype come to mind off the top of my head - they were both un-useable, but I figured you get what you pay for and let's see what the ICS upgrade brings.

Low and behold, after ICS, my WiFi is crap in comparision to before, I can't put my fingure on the issiue, but it's sure weaker connection, or doesn't connect automatically, or just won't allow me to load a web page! In addition, the touch screen is way less responsive in that I'm having topoke and poke again at the screen to make anything happen - that may be because the WiFi is crap so I don't have internet access, or it may be a touch screen issue. Either way it feels like I've jumped out of the pan and into the fire - no video before (now that is better), but I never know when I have internet access.

Well spotted OP... if there is anything I can test from here, let me know OK

DelboyG

I'm waiting for my friend to stop by to do a wifi comparison test with his archos. Wish there was a way to make thus topic a sticky.

scottrod

Aug 15, 2008
Not saying the wifi problems couldnt be software related, but didnt some guy already take apart his prime and confirm an obvious wifi design flaw?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Ok, GPS issued is confirmed on the Archos G9 after my friend updated to ics. He didn't have the GPS test app prior ics, but on honeycomb he had no issues getting a GPS signal in seconds, an he confirmed that it worked in his car while driving to an from work. Now using the GPS test after updating to ics, it takes him in average of 2 minutes to pick up 3 satellites while outside, but he loses his signal when driving. Also, he has freezing issues when browsing an random reboots at least once a day. He's coming to my home now to do a wifi speed comparison, but he stated that he can no longer watch netflix when he is in his bedroom, while his router is in the living room(seperated by two walls). This to me is just one heck of a coincidence.

Cernunnoz

May 25, 2011
My tf101s wifi got really bad after ics update. Range was shorter, and disconnects.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I can see ICS maybe affecting wifi. as far as GPS, we know the components of the deadly cocktail already. software is part of it but doubt it bears more weight than design issues on some units. I do believe wifi can be tweaked or optimized even more so. I get good wifi reception n all but anything could be made better.

we do have an update to .16 which is due anyday now. I would've thought we would've gotten it already. maybe tonight or tomorrow. still awaiting the great prime news also. maybe they will announce 5 million units sold in 3 months..lol

snakeybidder

Jun 3, 2006
[QUOTQUOTE=shinzz;23629090]Nah, it's a myth. It is always a "s/w" problem... You should know that by now if you read this forum.[/QUOTE]

Obviously your joking right? I opened mine and can confirm it's hard ware. Attaching one piece of wire to the wireless connection gives nearly double the wifi performance for me.

tedr108

Dec 3, 2011
Los Angeles area, CA
I can support the GPS theory for sure... My GPS stopped working completely as soon as I upgraded my Prime to ICS. While still under HC, I could get a lock on 10-12 satellites ... though it took way longer than it should (like a few minutes). Haven't had much trouble with my wi-fi, so cannot tell if it degraded with ICS, or not.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
So ICS is still very new and has still bugs in it. I dont see where this is any new information ;) Have some patience. My prime (can only speak for me) is very usable right now and i know that it will only get better over time as software improves. This was the case on all my android devices and will be true for the prime as well.
The difference is that ICS was quite the step for android, a lot of visual changes and tweaks/improvements. So i think we will see a big improvement overall if something like Android 4.1 comes out.

But as i wanted to say this is not really news to me^^ I expected something like ICS to be somewhat buggy :) I mean look at iOS. 5.0 had the battery bug which is being fixed now with 5.1. This is half a year after the release of ios 5.

royredman

Jun 30, 2011
Ok, lets pull up a couple of statements real quick. This is a Archos tablet that is having Wi-fi problems after ICS. How does this relate to android? I understand that this is based on the idea of ICS doing this, but they are different companies. Asus makes tablets for their tablets and the Archos tablets is made for their company. The company making Archos could have made a mistake when altering it to make it compatible for the Archos tablet. Also it has been proven that the metal backplate on the prime blocks off the wi-fi signal dramatically. ICS on the prime is already covered as it is. Think about it, why would they make the TF700 with the specific backplate if they knew that this was a software problem?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Ok, lets pull up a couple of statements real quick. This is a Archos tablet that is having Wi-fi problems after ICS. How does this relate to android? I understand that this is based on the idea of ICS doing this, but they are different companies. Asus makes tablets for their tablets and the Archos tablets is made for their company. The company making Archos could have made a mistake when altering it to make it compatible for the Archos tablet. Also it has been proven that the metal backplate on the prime blocks off the wi-fi signal dramatically. ICS on the prime is already covered as it is. Think about it, why would they make the TF700 with the specific backplate if they knew that this was a software problem?

What are you talking about?? Both tablets are running ICS, both have wifi/gps issues after updating.. I never said that ICS was the cause only... I am saying that it MAY contribute.. Could be an code issue within ICS that doesn't play well with wifi, which is only amplified by the Primes metal backing.

I and others will confirm that wifi an gps was fine for the Archos tablets before updating to ICS. People are also reporting browser crashes, freezes etc. So yes ICS is still a young os an could be added to at least the wifi issue

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys, just thought I would pass this info along that I found really interesting. I have a friend who recently purchased the Archos G9 tablet, which came with Honeycomb. His Wifi/GPS worked great during this time, but after updating to ICS, his wifi signal is considerably weaker,(even drops connections) and he can no longer get a GPS lock! Also, it seems to be a widespread problem for the recently released Archos devices. Before ICS, they had no wifi/GPS issues, but right after the update, numerous owners are reporting that they can no longer get a GPS lock, or they may only pick up one satellite even when outdoors, but lose the signals as soon as they are in motion. Now this seems to be one hell of a coincidence don't you think?? Can anyone confirm that GPS and wifi was better for them before updating to ICS?? I also attached the forum link for you guys as proof of the ICS update issue. Apparently, Archos is working with Google to determine the cause of the GPS/wifi issues since the update. Now I am not saying that ICS is the root cause of our issues, but it is possible that it is compounding the problem with the metal backed plate on our Primes. It's well known that Asus installed two wifi chips to compensate for the metal backing, but what if the ICS code is also hindering on the wifi/gps performance??

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=63669&start=140
    So who here bought a tablet to be a 10" replacement for their Garmins? Don't get me wrong ASUS should have never released the Prime with these issues but its what every company does.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

Actually, I didn't buy it to replace the two Garmins in my instrument panel; I bought it for use as an independent backup for them that could also be used for flight planning.

G3X_Panel.jpg

TailArt.jpg
    So who here bought a tablet to be a 10" replacement for their Garmins? Don't get me wrong ASUS should have never released the Prime with these issues but its what every company does.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

I wonder when I'll stop reading this "logic"...or "reasoning"