My 1st impression review of the TMO Note 5

Search This thread

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
After having this for 2 days now I thought I would post this :

As a Person who has owned every Note device as my daily phone, I thought I would write an Abbreviated 1st impressions, thoughts and review of the New Note 5

First impressions, tend to set opinions before fact……. That said, Samsung did a very nice job on the design and build. It is beautiful to look at… it has a luxury feel and interacting with the device is definitely satisfying.

My only concern is the glass back. That seems to pose a potential break hazard .

The non removable battery and no External SD Card……. Yeah I feel ya, I didn’t like that idea either, but TBH I only used the SD Card for archiving files and a few other things, most of what I use only demands about 10 gigs of space, so it is not a big issue. That coupled with the fact I been using the SanDisk 64 gig mini flash (it has both a micro USB and normal USB that slides). That has been much more useful for me.

There are ways to work around the integrated battery, and ways to mimic pulling the battery ….. so this hasn’t been to much a concern either.

Credit to Mocsab for posting the shutdown methods:

1) just hold power until phone turns off - then restart

2) Hold power, home and volume up - Samsung logo appears - continue to hold - Samsung logo goes black and capacitive buttons flash three times - release - phone goes to recovery - then choose option - reboot or whatever

3) Hold power, volume down and home, when screen goes dark, switch to volume up, power and home - wait until Samsung logo appears - continue holding - when screen goes dark or when capacitive buttons at bottom of phone flash three times release - it goes into recovery - then you can reboot -

Only on the Note 1, did I actually buy a 2nd battery. So, unless you are gaming on this device ….. this battery is plenty

Surprises :

This morning started charging right before taking a 10-15min shower and the was @ 27% battery, got out 10-15 min later was @ 67% ……. THAT is Impressive.

The Camera is actually better performing than the S6, (the software), this camera is finally getting good enough to take decent pixs that even a person like myself who has High end camera equipment can really appreciate the quality.

Another Surprise ……. Its physical size is smaller than the note 4, 3 or 2, it is about the same size as a 5.3-5.5 phone (see attached pixs of a Meizu M1 vs. the Note 5). This fits into my pocket where the Note 4 it was super tight to get in and out.

There are so many little tweaks to mention.... that in the past, I would either have to download or modify, Samsung has taken the time to pre-install these so the customization is more native. This is Samsung commandeering the Dev's and Modders improvements (probably from the XDA members-:p ) and inserting them directly into the stock experience.

Everything else is all similar to the note 4 with Noticeable improvements. This phone finally gets the S-Pen working in such a way that you will use it without hesitation. They REALLY …… made the S-Pen desirable to use, especially with the instant note taking without opening up the phone…… this is Way useful……

My recommendation is this; if you do not have the Note 4 and want a Note, I would Highly Recommend
this device. If, you do not think you will ever use the S-Pen, then get the S-6 or the other iterations of that device. But, if you like the features all the previous Note devices had to offer, this is an interaction delight all codified as the new Note 5.

This is the best Business device out there 2nd to none …and possibly the best device period……. Those are my 1st impressions …….. thanks for reading……….

P.S. The Last Pixs is the Vibrant, S6, Meizu M1 and Note 5 side by side ..... Yes, I still have my 1st Galaxy phone ....running Lollipop....:fingers-crossed::):D

Attachments

• Vib-s6-M1-Note5.jpg
    Vib-s6-M1-Note5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,238
Last edited:

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
Nice mini review, helpful for those of us that are on the fence... I'm probably going to get one myself. Still debating though, I hate not having spare batteries.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
I agree with your sentiment, I am really missing vanilla android, may stick with nexus 6 after all

ndwgs

Oct 8, 2010
Everywhere
That brought nostalgic memories with that Samsung Vibrant... Those days was.... Ahhh... Memories.

Great mini review! Personally, I love the Note 3, and this just makes Note 5 alluring in ways. Alas, you know my work and travels @oka1! There are times I'm out of the network realm that I have to rely on my SDcard for files, music, etc.

So much choices! Not like before, Vibrant/Captivate was the "it"!

Reactions: oka1

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
Man those Vibrant days were so damn amazing. Still hard to find a phone with such enjoyable development!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

OP, on high brightness and a white background, do you notice screen pwm flickering? On all display models I have seen, it was present and sometimes distracting.

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Man those Vibrant days were so damn amazing. Still hard to find a phone with such enjoyable development!

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

OP, on high brightness and a white background, do you notice screen pwm flickering? On all display models I have seen, it was present and sometimes distracting.

Yes...The Vibrant was my 2nd Android device... I had the Dream 1st ......then the HD2.... then the Vibrant, Wow That launched so many into the Android world Cyanogen, Aokp, and others Got their teeth cut on that phone and the rest is History ........... it was and still is alot fun to dev on.........

No, I did not .....I did notice that there is less light leak than my note 4 showed. Once I have it rooted, I ll be able to adjust the lighting and optimize it so that would not occur. My guess if someone experiences that is, a bit of insufficient grounding when the light is maxing out resulting it to waiver from max demand to some safety default. Just a guess though. Adding a slight blue to the white sometimes will provide a better optical white without that demand, but until we get root, look under the hood, and toy with it ......... no way to know for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: TEKHD

tommason1968

Apr 17, 2011
Nice short review. I too came from the 4 and as of right now couldn't be happier with a stock device. I just wish they had kept the IR blaster, I thought it was a great feature.

Sent from my SM-N920T using XDA Free mobile app

bajasur

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2012
San Clemente
Solid review @oka1 ! Wife just picked up Tmo variant and I have been messing with it all day. Can second all of your findings, phenomenal upgrade from N4

oka1

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 4, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice short review. I too came from the 4 and as of right now couldn't be happier with a stock device. I just wish they had kept the IR blaster, I thought it was a great feature.

yup I kinda wanted the IR Blaster but I am guessing there were not a lot of people you used it ...ergo ... it went away.....

sshafranko

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Nice mini review, helpful for those of us that are on the fence... I'm probably going to get one myself. Still debating though, I hate not having spare batteries.

Whats up warrior[emoji2] i was like you on the fence because of the battery. Ive had a spare battery for every note since note 2 and loved the option of just switching it out opposed to waiting for a charge. A couple months ago i bought the Anker 24,000 since i have 3 kids with Samsung phones that game all day so im covered there and like oka i was shocked at how fast this phone charges. Really amazing. I set it down to charge, ate lunch and it was at 80% from 4. I think youll be fine especially once we get some rom and kernel development.

Reactions: Warrior1975

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
@sshafranko-Long time no speak bro!! Hope all is well.

I saw your post in the battery thread, you had incredible battery life. I'm definitely leaning more towards getting this device than not. Before I knew what the deal was, I was going to get it... But as I saw the horror stories, no removable battery and SD card gone, I said no.

Have to change with the times though... I don't think those things matter as much as they once did. I really do prefer having spare batteries, have had 3 for each of my last 4 phones...with the super fast charging, it won't matter much.

Last concern will be development. I'm sure it will be super slow with this device. Note 4 is much less developed than the 3...

Reactions: sshafranko

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
@sshafranko-Long time no speak bro!! Hope all is well.

I saw your post in the battery thread, you had incredible battery life. I'm definitely leaning more towards getting this device than not. Before I knew what the deal was, I was going to get it... But as I saw the horror stories, no removable battery and SD card gone, I said no.

Have to change with the times though... I don't think those things matter as much as they once did. I really do prefer having spare batteries, have had 3 for each of my last 4 phones...with the super fast charging, it won't matter much.

Last concern will be development. I'm sure it will be super slow with this device. Note 4 is much less developed than the 3...

Yea i agree with the dev statement but i think that is because the n3 was such a great phone imo prob the best note i ever owned, and the upgrade to n4 wasnt warranted for most people so they stuck it out with the n3 waiting for the 5. I think a lot of people will be on the fence like you because of the battery and storage situation but as time goes by and you hear all the good things about the phone youll dive right in. Not sure if there will be as much dev as the n3 but i think or at least i hope the most important ones will be here. All im looking for is Lean(Imoseyon) and Tweaked(Dwith). Unbeatable combo...keeping my fingers crossed

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
Dwith would be great to have for sure. There are a couple of good devs here already...so there is hope. I'm more than likely going to get the Note 5. I'll goto tmobile tomorrow. I'm getting more and more excited.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
COMING FROM A GALAXY S6 EDGE, HERE IS MY LITTLE REVIEW NOTE 5 VS GS6 EDGE

Don't want to start an argument just a few things i notice, own both phones.

NOTE 5
much MUCH smoother faster touchwiz no lag/stutter (both factory reset and after same apps installed test)
does not heat up even when gaming. (not even warm)
battery life i get around 5:30-6hr SOT
Screen is about 30-40% brighter, white looks whiter ( i didn't believe until owning both device)

BOTH phone almost same spec but feel like 2 completly different phones. i hate how the edge touchwiz bug down, reload icons and widget, freeze when you are using heavy usage ram apps etc. If you guys can get a hold of the GS6 edge plus rom which is already ported to the edge, try that and see if it fix the issues.

i think the problem is touch wiz (eat so much ram)cause even my note 5 usage at the end of the day is around 87%. (and this is with package disable pro, disabling about 120 background apps which i also used on my edge)

I actually wanted to try the NOTE 5 not for the reason mention above, just that i hate using cases and the Edge is to SHARP to hold for my liking, i was gonna buy the regular GS6 for this reason but since the note 5 was going to be release soon i waited. To my surprise i got much more than what i wanted.
probably will be selling the GS6 edge, right now im using has my daily driver the NOTE 5, love the S-pen make things much easier to screenshot,crop and share which i do often. taken notes when screen is off is so usefull.

Edit: Has of now the built quality has been excellent. No pinkish or color shift screen, no polish scratches in the screen, no lose buttons. The only thing i'm kind of disappointed is that i was expecting a louder speaker, The speaker IS THE SAME has the GS6 edge..... is loud but i would figure with a larger device you would get a larger speaker . I heard the fingerprint scanner is more accurate but i havent try it yet. It seems that ALL NOTE 5 are coming with the SONY LENS CAMERA SENSOR. unlike the GS6 which it was a hit or miss.

EasyE75

Jul 20, 2012
Greensboro
Just find out that the IR blaster was stripped therefore can not use the note 5 as a remote control. Samsung and Peel have been working together since the s4, I don't know why in the world that feature too was taken off.

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
From what I've read, yes there is.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

mgbotoe

Is there theme store support?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using XDA Free mobile app
Theme support is now part of Toucchwiz...will you use the themes? Thats another story.

For a lady such as myself, I wont mind them...but even I find some of them way too damn cute I just want to gauge my eyes out.

If I ever get a Touchwiz again, I am hopiing there will be better themes out by than

sshafranko

Feb 5, 2013
Little Ferry
Theme support is now part of Toucchwiz...will you use the themes? Thats another story.

For a lady such as myself, I wont mind them...but even I find some of them way too damn cute I just want to gauge my eyes out.

If I ever get a Touchwiz again, I am hopiing there will be better themes out by than
I've been using the themes and I Love it. My Wife is running CM On her S5 and the Tw theme store is set up very similar to the CM theme Store.The main difference that I noticed is on the CM theme set up you can pick what part of the Phone you want themed. For e xample you can theme the icons and not the Keyboard. on the new TW theme setup you can't pick what parts to theme it just themes it all or whatever is included in the theme. Who knows the theme devs may Like this setup and we may have a huge selection to piKK from. Well I hope anyway. ALSO its awesome not to have to flash anything, it takes a few seconds to apply a theme. I've been switching between Material dark and Light. Anyway I personaly Love it . Wrote this post with my spen so sry for the grammar errors. ALSO all this can be done 'without root. I think its delicious Like the ribeye I just ate.[emoji2]

mgbotoe

I've been using the themes and I Love it. My Wife is running CM On her S5 and the Tw theme store is set up very similar to the CM theme Store.The main difference that I noticed is on the CM theme set up you can pick what part of the Phone you want themed. For e xample you can theme the icons and not the Keyboard. on the new TW theme setup you can't pick what parts to theme it just themes it all or whatever is included in the theme. Who knows the theme devs may Like this setup and we may have a huge selection to piKK from. Well I hope anyway. ALSO its awesome not to have to flash anything, it takes a few seconds to apply a theme. I've been switching between Material dark and Light. Anyway I personaly Love it . Wrote this post with my spen so sry for the grammar errors. ALSO all this can be done 'without root. I think its delicious Like the ribeye I just ate.[emoji2]
CM theme is one of the view decent ones there lol
95% needs work. I'm patiently waiting out for them to open the theme development to more users who play around on XDA, like the themer of the CM theme.
That way I will have choices that are not so cartoonish or just simply bad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As a Person who has owned every Note device as my daily phone, I thought I would write an Abbreviated 1st impressions, thoughts and review of the New Note 5

First impressions, tend to set opinions before fact……. That said, Samsung did a very nice job on the design and build. It is beautiful to look at… it has a luxury feel and interacting with the device is definitely satisfying.

My only concern is the glass back. That seems to pose a potential break hazard .

The non removable battery and no External SD Card……. Yeah I feel ya, I didn’t like that idea either, but TBH I only used the SD Card for archiving files and a few other things, most of what I use only demands about 10 gigs of space, so it is not a big issue. That coupled with the fact I been using the SanDisk 64 gig mini flash (it has both a micro USB and normal USB that slides). That has been much more useful for me.

There are ways to work around the integrated battery, and ways to mimic pulling the battery ….. so this hasn’t been to much a concern either.

2) Hold power, home and volume up - Samsung logo appears - continue to hold - Samsung logo goes black and capacitive buttons flash three times - release - phone goes to recovery - then choose option - reboot or whatever

3) Hold power, volume down and home, when screen goes dark, switch to volume up, power and home - wait until Samsung logo appears - continue holding - when screen goes dark or when capacitive buttons at bottom of phone flash three times release - it goes into recovery - then you can reboot -

Only on the Note 1, did I actually buy a 2nd battery. So, unless you are gaming on this device ….. this battery is plenty

Surprises :

This morning started charging right before taking a 10-15min shower and the was @ 27% battery, got out 10-15 min later was @ 67% ……. THAT is Impressive.

The Camera is actually better performing than the S6, (the software), this camera is finally getting good enough to take decent pixs that even a person like myself who has High end camera equipment can really appreciate the quality.

Another Surprise ……. Its physical size is smaller than the note 4, 3 or 2, it is about the same size as a 5.3-5.5 phone (see attached pixs of a Meizu M1 vs. the Note 5). This fits into my pocket where the Note 4 it was super tight to get in and out.

There are so many little tweaks to mention.... that in the past, I would either have to download or modify, Samsung has taken the time to pre-install these so the customization is more native. This is Samsung commandeering the Dev's and Modders improvements (probably from the XDA members-:p ) and inserting them directly into the stock experience.

Everything else is all similar to the note 4 with Noticeable improvements. This phone finally gets the S-Pen working in such a way that you will use it without hesitation. They REALLY …… made the S-Pen desirable to use, especially with the instant note taking without opening up the phone…… this is Way useful……

My recommendation is this; if you do not have the Note 4 and want a Note, I would Highly Recommend
    this device. If, you do not think you will ever use the S-Pen, then get the S-6 or the other iterations of that device. But, if you like the features all the previous Note devices had to offer, this is an interaction delight all codified as the new Note 5.

This is the best Business device out there 2nd to none …and possibly the best device period……. Those are my 1st impressions …….. thanks for reading……….

P.S. The Last Pixs is the Vibrant, S6, Meizu M1 and Note 5 side by side ..... Yes, I still have my 1st Galaxy phone ....running Lollipop....:fingers-crossed::):D
    re: External microSD + Forcing a Power Down

Surprises :

I thought I read somewhere that the little metal sim card drawer opener also has a
    secondary purpose, there are 2 tiny holes, one on top and the other on the bottom
    of the phone. (on a Galaxy S6 Edge+ which is what I have).

I read somewhere on the internet that one of those tiny holes is there to reset the
    battery by pressing the sim tool pin into one of the holes, don't know which one.
    until the phone powers down by disconnecting the electrical contact to the battery.

Also you were talking about the Note5/S6 Edge+ not having removable microsd.

I am not sure how many people here are aware that there is a new way to store
    and retrieve files without the need of an external microSD in the phone.

It's called a Wifi Flash Drive, you can check them out at amazon com.
    They don't even need to be plugged into a usb port to work with any
    phone that has built-in Wifi.

You can copy files to and from this wifi flash drive when it's in your pocket
    or just about anywhere near you, it has a rechargable battery built-in and
    the cost is very simalar to a standard usb flash drive.

As soon as it is plugged into any usb port it recharges the built-in battery.
    And it does not need to even use wifi as long as it's plugged into a computer.

This is what made up my mind to get the new S6 Edge+ phone.

Unlike an internal microsd card which only serves one purpose
    unless you remove it from your phone, these wifi usb flash drives
    are multi purpose and not limited to be used only with the phone.
    So to the Note 4 owners.......

Would you recommend switching from the note 4?
    Aside from the battery and SD card missing. Do you like what the note 5 has to offer?
    Worth the switch?
    Still debating on it and this Costco deal is very tempting lol

Is it worth it to upgrade? Sure, I guess. The phone works really well, no lag as of yet. This is however the last time I upgrade unless out of necessity as the phones just aren't that much better than the previous model.

Can anyone compare The 5 to Note 4 after 5.1.1. Update?

Big speed difference, N5 is a lot faster, 4GB RAM and many more s-pen features.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I don't thing that is really answering his question at all. I am getting my Note 5 tomorrow so I can answer better then. But for the Note 4, upgrading to 5.1.1 made a noticeable difference in speed just by it self. I am running TEKHD's rom that is 5.1.1 so it isn't a complete equal comparison to a stock Note 5. I am sure that 5.1.1 is in part why the Note 5 if performing so well from what I have read.

Hopefully someone else has already upgraded their Note 4 to 5.1.1 and then got the Note 5 to give you a better answer. I should be able to answer better tomorrow night.
    So to the Note 4 owners.......

Would you recommend switching from the note 4?
    Aside from the battery and SD card missing. Do you like what the note 5 has to offer?
    Worth the switch?
    Still debating on it and this Costco deal is very tempting lol

I had the note 4 before then went to the nexus 6 for a few months. This feels like a whole new experience from the 4. SPen is extremely nice and easy to use. Phone feels so much smaller in your hand and is easy to use one handed and i have small hands. build quality is just amazing and beautiful. it feels extremely premium and for sure the best build phone I've ever had or held. I'm impressed at how small the bezel is around the outside edge as well.

I was actually worried about storage wen switching to the nexus but 32 GB was more then enough if you keep everything synced or make a good backup/ transfer routine. Decided to get the 64 GB Note 5 just to have more space for some movies and music when I'm on the go.

Only thing that bugs me about this guy is the speaker. The Note 4's was extremely underwhelming. the Nexus 6 was just ......wow, it was amazing I think for a phone. The note 5's is pretty loud but lacks the depth that the nexus 6 had.

End statement fast charging totally makes up for lack of battery. Cloud storage and 32 GB is more then enough space and YES!!! totally worth it in my opinion.