Question My "Assistant voice typing" and "Auto punctuation" are greyed out on my Pixel 6 in Gboard settings

Search This thread

mdimbler

May 1, 2010
Hi all:

I'm trying to get Assistant voice typing and Auto punctuation to work on my new Pixel 6. Both options are greyed out in Gboard settings right now. Is anyone else seeing this behavior, or is it working correctly for you?

nEUTRon666

May 15, 2007
Aschaffenburg
Update, got it enabled now and it works with multiple languages. Since I'm from Germany I have German and English enabled. I don't know what exactly was the trigger, but I played around with language, language settings and offline languages, re-configured everything, re-downloaded languages and so on in assistant settings. The problem must be somewhere there. Maybe someone finds the exact spot

Waibashi

Dec 13, 2012
Montreal, QC
I really want someone to get back to me, as I have the same issue with my phone. I will try the google assistant training first

brc64

Mar 20, 2009
I'm having the same issue. Out of curiosity, for anybody having the problem, do you have a work profile set up on your phone? I know that with my Pixel 4, some of the new Google Assistant settings were unusable when I added my work account because my employer didn't have some setting enabled in Google Workspace.

I'm wondering if this is related to the same thing. I haven't gotten around to removing that account to see if that clears up the issue yet. I can report when I have time to try that.

Edit: That does appear to the culprit for me. As soon as I deleted my work account, I was able to activate that setting.

So far after re-adding my account, it's stayed enabled, but we'll see... If this is the culprit, I believe it's likely related to this:

Last edited:

mdimbler

May 1, 2010
Thank you brc64! I don't have a work profile set up on the phone, but I did have one work Google account and one Google account from a non-profit I volunteer for on here. I removed the non-profit Google account and the options became available. I, too, added the account back, and both Assistant voice typing and Automatic Punctuation are still enabled.

Negan

Recognized Themer/ Retired Forum Moderator
I haven't gotten it to work yet. Figures I'd run into this! Have us English set everywhere only and downloaded us offline English. Hopefully I'll be able to sort it out! Of all the silly things that's not enabled by default when we turn on voice typing... Thanks Google🧐

Update: I think it might actually be server side change or from an app update. I updated all my apps and it started working shortly thereafter.

Last edited:

Konnectgame

Jul 20, 2016
I tried all the solutions listed but nothing worked. What fixed it for me was to force stop Gboard. Clear cache. Then select uninstall updates. Let's Google play store update it. Then repeat the same with Google app (force stop, clear cache, uninstall updates then update.) Initially had to force stop Gboard again then open and that's it, boom it worked. Hopefully this helps.

BunkMoreland

Nov 2, 2021
Update, got it enabled now and it works with multiple languages. Since I'm from Germany I have German and English enabled. I don't know what exactly was the trigger, but I played around with language, language settings and offline languages, re-configured everything, re-downloaded languages and so on in assistant settings. The problem must be somewhere there. Maybe someone finds the exact spot
Is it working for you in both languages? Because I'm bilingual as well and although I can switch the toggle, the true assistant voice typing is only working in English. When I switch to German, it uses the old voice typing method. You can tell the difference by the icon the little microphone has. The assistant voice typing has the newer logo.

z-man79

Jan 8, 2012
It's something on the server side. I was on the phone with them yesterday for 90 minutes trying to get the problem resolved, then this morning some type of download came through and it was fixed. Fixed. Just be patient and you'll get it resolved. As a matter of fact, I'm using the service right now

ThoroSOE

Nov 16, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
LG G4
I concur with the server side assumption. I finally got it to work, when I revmoved a second language both from Gboard and the assistant. But since I need to be able to switch to English regularly, this was too much of a hassle, so I reactivated the second language. This took me back to the regular voice input and grayed out the option for the assistant for voice typing.

I did not change anything since then, but I just found, that I now could switch on Assitant voice typing again and it works with multiple languages at once. There have been some auto updates over the play store this morning, so this might have to do with this.

Try to update all apps in your Play Store profile. If this does not help, I guess patience is all that can.

ofrias

Nov 22, 2013
I concur with the server side assumption. I finally got it to work, when I revmoved a second language both from Gboard and the assistant. But since I need to be able to switch to English regularly, this was too much of a hassle, so I reactivated the second language. This took me back to the regular voice input and grayed out the option for the assistant for voice typing.

I did not change anything since then, but I just found, that I now could switch on Assitant voice typing again and it works with multiple languages at once. There have been some auto updates over the play store this morning, so this might have to do with this.

Try to update all apps in your Play Store profile. If this does not help, I guess patience is all that can.
What language are supported?

gattacus

Nov 13, 2013
Is it working for you in both languages? Because I'm bilingual as well and although I can switch the toggle, the true assistant voice typing is only working in English. When I switch to German, it uses the old voice typing method. You can tell the difference by the icon the little microphone has. The assistant voice typing has the newer logo.
I have the same setup and issue. tried everything. did you manage to get it working?