• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

My DEX died after ADB Bloatware Removal

Search This thread

1matrix

Oct 21, 2021
Greetings,

I decided to debloat my Samsung Note 20 Ultra phone of all the bloatware apps Samsung installs. I used the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) shell to perform this bloatware removal and the list shown below identifies all the Samsung bloatware app names which I used as a guide in my removal process.

Everything went perfectly except for the fact I mistakenly uninstalled DEX which is an app that allows me to connect my Note 20 Ultra to a monitor via an HDMI connection. Once the connection is established DEX would automatically start and magically generate a "Windows Like" desktop GUI on the monitor. In short, my DEX is no longer working in the same way it was working before I performed the debloat process.

I hope somebody in this community can identify to me which Samsung parent app from the list shown below is the DEX app subordinate to? Because my theory is the DEX app is hiding inside one of the parent apps shown below and what is not making it easy is how the word "DEX" is nowhere to be seen. Therefore, I hope somebody can tell me which of the Samsung apps shown below I should leave untouched so my DEX app remains operational.

Any tips welcome.

Samsung Bloatware App Removal List
pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.service.livedrawing : Penup app pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller :Kids Mode pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.storyservice :Samsung Story video collage app, now defunct. pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.service.peoplestripe :Access contacts etc from Edge Screen pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.galaxyfinder : Phone Search App pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.service.airviewdictionary :Samsung Translate pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.easysetup :Smart Things setup pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.beaconmanager :Bluetooth beacon service, location tracking and smart things pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.scloud ::Samsung Cloud Service pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.spayfw :Framework for Samsung Pay pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.samsungpass :Biometric replacement for web logins etc pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.authfw :Samsung Authentication Framework for Samsung Pass pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.samsungpassautofill ::Samsung Pass autofill pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub :Galaxy Gear Watch App pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.svoiceime :Samsung Voice Input pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.app.billing :Samsung Billing pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.simplesharing :Samsung Link Sharing (Using Samsung Cloud) pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.cover.ledcover :LED Phone Cover Service pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.rubin.app :Customisation Service pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.stickercenter :Call Stikers, discontinued by Samsung pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.aremoji :AR Emoji pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.livestickers : Deco Pic, Photo decoration app pm uninstall --user 0 com.diotek.sec.lookup.dictionary :Samsung Dictionary pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.social :What's New, Samsung Social. Samsung Social Network with Contacts pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.forest : Digital Wellbeing and parental controls pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.ardrawing :AR Doodle, drawing on photos and video in 3D pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.arzone :AR Zone, Provides AR features. pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.tips :Tips, User manual and usage tips. pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.aremojieditor pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.mimage.avatarstickers pm uninstall --user 0 com.samsung.android.kgclient : Payment Services

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Dependencies, dependencies, dependencies... I can't spot it.
A lot of those apps sit there and do nothing unless needed. May have something to do with Samsung Pass. The names can be misleading as well.

Maybe try it from the other end; check Windows Event Viewer for error messages when connecting.

Reactions: jsusang

1matrix

Oct 21, 2021
Thank you for the Windows Event Viewer tip. I have not been able to pinpoint the Samsung app I need to leave alone after spending a bunch of time on Google. Looks like I have no other option but to factory reset my phone and try this Windows Event Viewer approach you mention.

Lastly, I am curios to know after uninstalling a junk app like Facebook is there any chance it can get re-installed on my phone as part of a future Samsung update?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
You didn't permanently uninstall it if it was factory loaded. I will not use that scumware.

This is the Package Disabler i use. Much easier to block crap and to correct mistakes on the fly.
It also has a interactive widget that lets you toggle selected apps on/off. Useful for troubleshooting.

It also does a neat trick that settings>apps can't do when clearing data, it leaves no null marks. Certain system apps can't have their data fully purged in Settings resulting in your only recourse being to factory reset to correct it.
Yearly fee, and they respond to emails in a timely manner.

Reactions: eurominican

jsusang

Jun 10, 2020
I don't see anything listed that you removed either, and agree with @blackhawk that it is probably a dependency for DeX that you removed.

Instead of a factory reset, please try to troubleshoot by reinstalling each app on your list you think may be the dependency.

To reinstall apps via adb:

cmd package install-existing <package name>

Just in case, here's the DeX app files:

sec.android.desktopmode.uiservice
samsung.desktopsystemui
sec.android.app.desktoplauncher
sec.android.app.dexonpc

Good luck!

Reactions: blackhawk

1matrix

Oct 21, 2021
Thank you to all for your posts. Blackhawk I took a look at the "Package Disabler" app you recommend. I have not purchased it because the merchant is located in England and it seems the app I need which is named "Package Disabler Pro (Samsung+ CLOUD)" is sold under some kind of subscription plan which I do not like.

Nevertheless, I found an alternative app in this very forum called "15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3". The link is below:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...vers-15-seconds-adb-installer-v1-4-3.2588979/

I also found another app in the link below:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-windows-tiny-adb-fastboot-august-2021.3944288/

I would appreciate it a lot if anybody in the community can comment on these apps. Is my Note20 Ultra compatible with either of these two apps?

I just want to make sure I'm using an app that is not going to cause any damage to my Note20 Ultra. Any advice welcome. Thank you for you time.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
PD is [email protected] year for up to 3 devices. For the amount of trouble it saves, it's inconvenience, reliability and for real time troubleshooting it's worth it to me.
I usually toggle its widget or open the app a couple times a day.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you to all for your posts. Blackhawk I took a look at the "Package Disabler" app you recommend. I have not purchased it because the merchant is located in England and it seems the app I need which is named "Package Disabler Pro (Samsung+ CLOUD)" is sold under some kind of subscription plan which I do not like.

Nevertheless, I found an alternative app in this very forum called "15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.3". The link is below:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...vers-15-seconds-adb-installer-v1-4-3.2588979/

I also found another app in the link below:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/tool-windows-tiny-adb-fastboot-august-2021.3944288/

I would appreciate it a lot if anybody in the community can comment on these apps. Is my Note20 Ultra compatible with either of these two apps?

I just want to make sure I'm using an app that is not going to cause any damage to my Note20 Ultra. Any advice welcome. Thank you for you time.
    Dependencies, dependencies, dependencies... I can't spot it.
    A lot of those apps sit there and do nothing unless needed. May have something to do with Samsung Pass. The names can be misleading as well.

Maybe try it from the other end; check Windows Event Viewer for error messages when connecting.
    You didn't permanently uninstall it if it was factory loaded. I will not use that scumware.

This is the Package Disabler i use. Much easier to block crap and to correct mistakes on the fly.
    It also has a interactive widget that lets you toggle selected apps on/off. Useful for troubleshooting.

It also does a neat trick that settings>apps can't do when clearing data, it leaves no null marks. Certain system apps can't have their data fully purged in Settings resulting in your only recourse being to factory reset to correct it.
    Yearly fee, and they respond to emails in a timely manner.
    I don't see anything listed that you removed either, and agree with @blackhawk that it is probably a dependency for DeX that you removed.

Instead of a factory reset, please try to troubleshoot by reinstalling each app on your list you think may be the dependency.

To reinstall apps via adb:

cmd package install-existing <package name>

Just in case, here's the DeX app files:

sec.android.desktopmode.uiservice
    samsung.desktopsystemui
    sec.android.app.desktoplauncher
    sec.android.app.dexonpc

Good luck!