My experience between two devices

Search This thread

JHadley

Oct 17, 2011
Detroit
So I will start by saying I'm a very picky person when it comes to devices I own. Keep that in mind as you read through this.

I ordered my first nexus 6 On 12/26 and received it on 1/2. Great shipping time considering the holidays and weekend in between! I was so excited when it arrived, but had some immediate concerns, not all that different than some here have expressed. I had the two toned screen where the bottom was much warmer than the top. I also experienced significant lag in some games, and it was more than the coding of the games. How do I know you ask? Well, that's where my second nexus 6 comes into play. I sent the first one back within the 14 day return period and ordered a second from Motorola. The second arrived just as quickly, and to my liking, the screen had a nice uniform, although very warm color. I downloaded a few of the same games I was experiencing the lag in, and holy cow this was night and day different. A lot of folks have pick on coding for Madden Mobile. While that may be true, it played at least as good on my second nexus 6 as it did on my nexus 5 and HTC M8...if not better! Of course though, there had to be something wrong right?! Well, my second nexus 6 has the worst sounding vibration motor I've ever heard! My M8 had a bit of a loose rattle when haptic feedback was on, but this thing sounds like the vibration motor is about to break through the screen and take out an eye! On the first nexus 6 it was perfect. So back goes number two. I love using haptic feedback when typing.

The problem now is that no one has any available, and I want to get it back this week while I can, so fingers crossed that Google Play or Moto get some stock in by Wednesday. I'm going to try one more new one from either of those sources. If number 3 arrives with similar issues, it'll be off to a new device.

Anyway, sorry to rant. I just figured that since some others are seeing some of the same problems I've had, that my experience may help others understand what they should expect from the mystical perfect nexus 6.

JHadley

Oct 17, 2011
Detroit
Have you seen the memory thread? http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6/general/nexus-6-internal-memory-chipsets-t2955045

Would have been interesting to see what the memory differences were between the two phones
If you still have your second phone you might want to see what it has and compare it to phone #3

Cheers

Yep, I did take a peak at that thread early on, but haven't kept up with it. My first phone was:

eMMC = Samsung
DRAM = Hynix

This one is

eMMC = Sandisk
DRAM = Samsung

SP_Kenny

Apr 13, 2011
Yep, I did take a peak at that thread early on, but haven't kept up with it. My first phone was:

eMMC = Samsung
DRAM = Hynix

This one is

eMMC = Sandisk
DRAM = Samsung

Nice - good job on saving that information :good:
Will have to see what you end up with for memory and performance with #3
I ended up with eMMC - Sandisk, DRAM - Hynix. I do not game on my phone so I cannot comment on performance there but I am happy with overall performance of daily usage
As noted in that thread it seemed Motorola just reached into a bag of chips and threw them at the phone, whichever ones stuck is what it got

Reactions: stevemw

psak

Oct 13, 2010
I ended up with eMMC - Sandisk, DRAM - Hynix. I do not game on my phone so I cannot comment on performance there but I am happy with overall performance of daily usage
As noted in that thread it seemed Motorola just reached into a bag of chips and threw them at the phone, whichever ones stuck is what it got

64gb white, stock, non-rooted
eMMC-Sandisk
DRAM-Hynix
Gaming is terrible, simple game of wsop texas holdem lags compared to my nexus 5, don't know if i should return/exchange the device due to the lag :confused:

JHadley

Oct 17, 2011
Detroit
64gb white, stock, non-rooted
eMMC-Sandisk
DRAM-Hynix
Gaming is terrible, simple game of wsop texas holdem lags compared to my nexus 5, don't know if i should return/exchange the device due to the lag :confused:

That's a tough call man. I've contemplated keeping the one I have now because the vibration motor is my only issue, but I feel like there is a perfect one with my name on it somewhere. No guarantees though.

doitright

Oct 31, 2014
I can pretty much guarantee that the "who made the chip" game is meaningless. All the chips used in everything meet the same specifications. More likely there is some other variable at play, like perhaps the software (game) was updated between phone #1 and phone #2.

Reactions: funcrusher

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

eMMC = Samsung
    DRAM = Hynix

This one is

eMMC = Sandisk
    DRAM = Samsung

I can pretty much guarantee that the "who made the chip" game is meaningless. All the chips used in everything meet the same specifications. More likely there is some other variable at play, like perhaps the software (game) was updated between phone #1 and phone #2.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone