My first pros and cons of the OP 6

Search This thread

Exelios

Jul 3, 2014
Berlin
So I got the device today, set it up, rooted, and I thought I would share a couple of thoughts about the device.

First, Always On Display (AOD) was there initially, but the day one system update removed it, leaving only the option to have the screen wake up when you pick up the phone or a notification arrives, I wonder why remove a feature on day 1....

There is no way to show battery percentage in the status bar.

Navigation bar is always white even when using a dark / black app, looks really bad.

A lot of settings have been moved around, and generally the settings app does not feel like stock, the Razer phone managed to add extra options while still feeling and looking stock like, I would not call Oxygen OS stock like.

Adaptive brightness is all over the place and feels like a beta product.

I really really wish it had wireless charging.

I will keep this post updated as I find more things worth noting.

On the positive side.

Fingerprint and face unlock are incredibly fast.

Phone feels really smooth and fast.

I really like they include the advanced reboot option in dev settings.

Camera looks really promising, tho I only tested so much for now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180524-191635.jpg
    Screenshot_20180524-191635.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 1,724
  • Screenshot_20180524-184900.jpg
    Screenshot_20180524-184900.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,733

nevinjoseph

Sep 24, 2014
Battery life is awesome for me.

I jusdt got my oneplus 6 64 gig mirror black variant today. Charged it upto 98% and started playing around with it. The UI is familiar coming from a 3t but the lack of hardware navigation keys is a learning curve for me. Anyways what I could notice immediately is how good the battery life on active usage is. I've been watching videos on youtube and Amazon Prime and also some Facebook and so far managed to drain the battery to 66 percent with almost 4 hours of screen time. My 3t could only manage around 5.5 hours of screen time with the same sort of usage. This is just mind blowing. And all this was on 4g lte the whole time.. Thinking of rooting and unlocking the bootloader to get magisk working but I guess I'll just wait for the official twrp so that I can take a nandroid backup before doing anything else.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180524-235305.jpg
    Screenshot_20180524-235305.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 1,113
Reactions: windo34

BoomBlaster

Aug 2, 2009
Lohr am Main
I Set the Phone up, then it went off and now it's in a boot loop, screen shows noisy green lines sometimes. Full wipe doesn't solve the problem and the support is not in the office now.
I'm really fed up.

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_113643.jpg
    IMG_20180524_113643.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 1,214
Last edited:

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
For AOD, I believe they removed it to be able to test further and ensure there is no screen burn-in (something along these lines) and will re-add it in a future update (assuming testing goes well).

Was just about to say this
If you've seen op r&d you know how meticulous they can be
If anything can cause an issue they'll remove it and test it

Robbo.5000

You and 99% of this forum. Why include a glass back with no purpose other than to look fancy and break from the other 9 phones OnePlus has put out?
No, really, not 99%.
It's just a gimmick. Is the 2 seconds needed to plug a USB cable in to your phone such a great hardship that you'd rather wait 3-4 hours charging, instead of 1 hour needed with Dash Charge (or whatever OnePlus have decided to call it now)?
Really?

Last edited:

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
No, really, not 99%.
It's just a gimmick. Is the 2 seconds needed to plug a USB cable in to your phone such a great hardship that you'd rather wait 3-4 hours charging, instead of 1 hour needed with Dash Charge (or whatever OnePlus have decided to call it now)?
Really?

we found the 1% lol. But honestly, I really do miss this feature. Sure, dash change is a game changer. But the ease at night of night having to fumble for a cable is nice. Or while at work just to drop it on a pad. It would cost them next to nothing to put a coil in the phone to do this. Those who only use dash can be happy, and wireless charger addicts will be happy. Just a mistake...

For me the phone is decent, the vibration motor is a little weak IMO (coming from a S8). It is fast and the screen is ok. I do miss the S8 screen a bit though. Camera is great IMO. I like it better than the S8 in most cases. My battery life hasn't been great but I think a widget or something was causing the drain. VoLTE seems to drain the battery fast. Just initial thoughts. An upgraded 2k screen, wireless charging and using the ear piece speaker as a dual speaker would have made this the perfect smartphone of 2018. But it is growing on me.

Reactions: Paz9 and Exelios

Thunder_47

May 30, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
No, really, not 99%.
Really?

Bro, I've seen you all over the forum spouting nothing but dislike and disappointment and advertising the next big thing by Xiaomi. I believe your exact words were "A Bit Underwhelmed".

We have different lifestyles and choices. Some of us work at a desk, using their phone often, it would be nice to just drop the phone next to whatever you're doing and have it charge. Not everybody has access to a cable manager or wants to keep a USB cable sitting out next to their work area for when they need a fast charge.

Or like this gentleman said, maybe some of us don't want to fumble around at home or at night for the charger.

We have our own opinions.

pro4ever

Jan 9, 2012
Just an observation coming from 5t the new op6 charging cable feels lot more thicker:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: gleggie

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
No, really, not 99%.
Really?

^^ this. The whole wireless charging is the dumbest crap. 10 min on dash charge is the equivalent of 45 to an hour on wireless charging dock. I mean if your port went bad I could understand it but how the hell often does that happen? And if you're able to connect a wireless charger to an outlet, you can plug in your dash charger and be done soon much faster.

Dumbest complaint/feature

gsw5700

Jan 31, 2011
No, really, not 99%.
Really?

Wireless charging means less stress on the battery meaning it loses capacity more slowly, great for overnight charging, plus you don't wear out the charging port. Really wish it had a metal back as a single drop may mean serious damage. Going to have to use a case for the first time ever, sigh

Reactions: B3501 and Kiruasan

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Google Pixel 7 Pro
^^ this. The whole wireless charging is the dumbest crap. 10 min on dash charge is the equivalent of 45 to an hour on wireless charging dock. I mean if your port went bad I could understand it but how the hell often does that happen? And if you're able to connect a wireless charger to an outlet, you can plug in your dash charger and be done soon much faster.

plus let's not forget that if you have a case on your phone wireless charging is soooo useless because you'd have to take ur phone out the case each time

Bradl79

May 25, 2008
J'Ville
has anyone found the swipe fingerprint notifications "I loved that feature, surprised they removed it"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You and 99% of this forum. Why include a glass back with no purpose other than to look fancy and break from the other 9 phones OnePlus has put out?
    No, really, not 99%.
    Really?
    No, really, not 99%.
    Really?

Clear they are holding things back for the 6t. Following the steps of apple and any other company in the world. This is my first OnePlus device as I avoided all the early days with bad marketing skemes.

Been using Nexus devices, Huawei mate 7-9 and lastly note 8(recently sold). Have a $100 essential phone for backup.

Im not in love with the OnePlus 6.

Battery life is blah. Nothing extra special. Still need to hit the charger around 5pm(off charger at 6am). Not only against OnePlus buy nothing comes close to Huawei and battery life.

Dash charger is great but Its 2018. Chargers everywhere. Every eom phone/chargers gives you a day of battery within 30 minutes. It's faster but so.

It feels like I settled. Same delusional pixel owners have with issues but compromise because of camera. Have this same feeling when I use to buy meizu devices. Compromise mixed with potential.

Pros
    Big screen. It's no note 8 but nothing beats oled.
    Above average battery life
    Smooth. It's stock Android
    Midnight black is great
    Comes with basic essentials
    Tweaker friendly

Cons.
    Screen. It's ok. Qhd with option of different resolutions like Samsung. There is a major difference. No punch with this screen unless I'm missing something.

Speaker is just horrible. I don't need dual(would be nice) but 1 good one would be great. Audio in general is blah. Could be placebo or something but wired/Bluetooth feels like it's lacking something. After playing with eq.

No micro SD slot

Recovery. They left out install options wtf. We are beta testers. No way to load files and install zip. Only in fastboot. Rushed.

My biggest con. Why is this great dash charger usb 2.0. Felt like I stepped in stone age. Thought my PC was having issues. Got a 128 to be able to carry files with me on the go.
    For AOD, I believe they removed it to be able to test further and ensure there is no screen burn-in (something along these lines) and will re-add it in a future update (assuming testing goes well).
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. It is not sharp but grainy, maybe the pentile matrix type of display? I love everything else about the phone apart from the display and I'm coming from iphone 8 plus with comparable PPI so I don't think it is the resolution but the display technology. I love Amoled displays but this does not look that good

OK, here is an update on this topic. I have removed the pre-installed screen protector and the screen looks much better to me, it is almost as sharp as the iphone 8 plus, much more acceptable to me not and is something I can live with.