• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

My Galaxy Nexus has better GPS accuracy than my Nexus 4

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
I have my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 phones beside each other on my window at home. Why is it my Galaxy Nexus has superior GPS accuracy than my Nexus 4?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Hate to burst your bubble, but my $100 Galaxy S Vibrant have better signal than both of your Nexus devices. But seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing results by other Nexus 4 owners. I am more concerned about lock time and the ability to keep a signal while on the the highway.

Last edited:

muspel

Nov 17, 2012
Nuremberg
I didn't use any test apps or anything like that, but in a normal tracking situation - going about 5km by bike - the nexus 4 did a much better job than the galaxy s2 I tried before.
Not only am I getting a gps fix in a matter of seconds, even inside buildings, but the recorded track is also a lot closer to the actual route I took.
Don't forget you also got glonass now, not sure if your tools are taking those into account

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
The agps of your galaxy nexus is updated and maybe not the one on your nexus 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I noticed that in gps.conf they removed ntp servers try adding them
Code:
NTP_SERVER=COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.REGION.pool.ntp.org
I changed nothing:

Last edited:

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
The agps of your galaxy nexus is updated and maybe not the one on your nexus 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I noticed that in gps.conf they removed ntp servers try adding them
Code:
NTP_SERVER=COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.REGION.pool.ntp.org
Do I not need root enabled on my device to do that? Also I live In Ireland.

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
Ok I have updated the AGPS within GPS Test. Here are my results now. I am still very disappointed.

I have not tested this while driving just yet. Though I will be using this while on foot mostly, for sports tracking purposes.

Last edited:

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
So you never tested your gps on real usage and you are very disappointed. First world problems.
Tomorrow I will be putting it through extensive google tracks testing. With the nexus 4 in one hand and the galaxy nexus in the other. I will upload the tracks tomorrow to show everyone.

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone