My Galaxy Nexus has better GPS accuracy than my Nexus 4

Search This thread

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
I have my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 phones beside each other on my window at home. Why is it my Galaxy Nexus has superior GPS accuracy than my Nexus 4?

jArNn.png

AJsBa.png

BravoMotorola

Oct 17, 2010
I get 32/32 satellites in orbit with full signal strength while inside my walk-in steal safe with my N4.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: locsplitter

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Hate to burst your bubble, but my $100 Galaxy S Vibrant have better signal than both of your Nexus devices. But seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing results by other Nexus 4 owners. I am more concerned about lock time and the ability to keep a signal while on the the highway.

Last edited:

muspel

Nov 17, 2012
Nuremberg
I didn't use any test apps or anything like that, but in a normal tracking situation - going about 5km by bike - the nexus 4 did a much better job than the galaxy s2 I tried before.
Not only am I getting a gps fix in a matter of seconds, even inside buildings, but the recorded track is also a lot closer to the actual route I took.
Don't forget you also got glonass now, not sure if your tools are taking those into account

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
The agps of your galaxy nexus is updated and maybe not the one on your nexus 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I noticed that in gps.conf they removed ntp servers try adding them
Code:
NTP_SERVER=COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.REGION.pool.ntp.org

I changed nothing:
Screenshot_2012-11-18-19-56-13_1_.jpg

Last edited:

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
The agps of your galaxy nexus is updated and maybe not the one on your nexus 4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

I noticed that in gps.conf they removed ntp servers try adding them
Code:
NTP_SERVER=COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.COUNTRY.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=0.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=1.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=2.REGION.pool.ntp.org
NTP_SERVER=3.REGION.pool.ntp.org

Do I not need root enabled on my device to do that? Also I live In Ireland.

kBTWOFOUR

Mar 5, 2011
Chicago
All I care about is getting a lock in a few mins and being able to keep a lock on the satellites while driving.

Have you used it while driving?

Dannyboyni

Sep 30, 2010
Ok I have updated the AGPS within GPS Test. Here are my results now. I am still very disappointed.

wX0Gi.png

I have not tested this while driving just yet. Though I will be using this while on foot mostly, for sports tracking purposes.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because the Samsung made Galaxy Nexus has better access to all the stars in the galaxy allowing it to pinpoint it's location with a higher degree of certainty in regard to it's position relative to the location of other stars in the galaxy.
    My office is in a GPS dead zone of some sort. My N4 is the only phone I've had that can get a lock there. Hooray for GLONASS, I guess.
    I get 32/32 satellites in orbit with full signal strength while inside my walk-in steal safe with my N4.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app
    Make sure Wi-Fi and Google's location service is enabled in both devices.

Both of these are enabled on both devices.

Here is another result I did making sure both wifi and googles location service was enabled on both devices.

UWCKj.png

W1e8k.png
    Hate to burst your bubble, but my $100 Galaxy S Vibrant have better signal than both of your Nexus devices. But seriously, so I wouldn't mind seeing results by other Nexus 4 owners. I am more concerned about lock time and the ability to keep a signal while on the the highway.

Galaxy S had one of the worst GPS ever...