My Galaxy s3 won't connect to wifi!!!

Search This thread

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
Hello to all!!!! i have a strange problem, since i flashed omega 9 i have a big problem to connect to an wifi network! It regognizes the wifi but if i want connect to it he says authentification error!!!! i've tried everything!! i have tried to flash an other rom with factory reset but nothing he recognize my wifi but won't connect to it! i have tried different kernels too!
I have tried several wifi networks!!! it connects only if i am near the router(+-5meters)

please help me!!!

XBoUnCiNX

Jul 18, 2012
call this number to get into service mode

*#0011#

Press your menu button and select wifi at the bottom

turn off wifi powersaving mode

should fix it

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
I had the same problem when I switched from a 16gb to a 32gb version.

I restored a backup but couldn't connect to wifi. A factory reset solved the problem for me but I see you've already tried that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

r4ptor

Jul 16, 2012
The password you entered is correct and the Fritzbox isn't using any MAC filter i assume?

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
Connect your phone to the computer and open adb shell
Kill any process named wpa_supplicant and type:

Code:
wpa_supplicant -dd -i wlan0 -f /sdcard/wifi.log -c /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
Then attach the generated logfile after having tried connecting to a wifi network.

Alternatively you can run "wpa_cli" and show it's output.

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
No i tried everything now but still not working! So i explain my router is down stairs, i am on the second floor! He sees my network but can't connect saying authentication error! When i go near the router about 3-4meters it connects to my network and i can access the net without problems! Now i am at my friends home and my galaxy s3 connects near the router but when i go in an other room it remains connected to the wifi but no internet connection an after a while he disconnects automatically!

I suppose if it where an hardware problem it wouldn't find the network at all or am i wrong with that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
Well it sounds like Wifi power management fails.
But please, respond to my last post by executing:
su
wpa_cli

And then connect to the wifi network.
(Wifi must aleady be enabeld but not connected for it to work)

Then post the output

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
After finding that another location WiFi was also not working I wiped phone flashed stock rooted restored Nandroid . Result works but yet to test sleep and lose WiFi problem if its still there.

jje

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
Well it sounds like Wifi power management fails.
But please, respond to my last post by executing:
su
wpa_cli

And then connect to the wifi network.
(Wifi must aleady be enabeld but not connected for it to work)

Then post the output

i have a problem with my mac adb-shell can't access my galaxy s3:(

now i'm trying to download the stock firmware and flash it with mobile odin!!!! hoping that this works

ok flashed stock firmware with full wipe and without root but no luck!

now i'm thinking it's an hardware problem!! but the strange thing is that it has happened after installed omega 9!!!

Last edited:

stever5

Apr 18, 2006
Are you able to try to connect? Mine will have a notification for open wifi networks found but when you click it only the networks restored show up - and only the networks restored are all I can connect to.

I don't know about you, but this is BY FAR the worst Android device I've ever owned, perhaps mine is defective. I was out of town 9 days and couldn't return it and they won't extend it 3 days to take it back. This is about 20th Android device and the first that I truly hate. It drops calls FAR more than my other phones (all Sprint, so not network, 5 lines).

valerio.tosti

Jun 19, 2012
Bissen
i am very happy with my device!!! the unique problem is the wifi!! i think it's hardware!!!! here in luxembourg it takes more than 15 days when you give it to the warranty!!!! ;( that's driving me crazy

d4fseeker

Oct 16, 2010
the unique problem is the wifi!! i think it's hardware!!!!
I told you several times already what you need to do to get the needed informations so one can see what the issue is.
My Wifi is rock-stable since I'm running on Cyanogenmod (currently 10), had some issues on OmegaROM before.

here in luxembourg it takes more than 15 days when you give it to the warranty
I honestly prefer having it sent in than Tango trying to tinker with it seeing their record of malinformed advice they tried to give me in the past.

slking1989

Jul 6, 2012
Ipswich

Broomfundel

May 22, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
d4fseeker

When i try to run
wpa_supplicant -dd -i wlan0 -f /sdcard/wifi.log -c /etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
it just lists the help without telling me what it does not like. I have tried lost of variants based on that help text as well. The interface is wlan0 and the conf file is named and located as detailed.

wpa_cli

does not exist.

I have been fighting with bad wifi for over a week. I have tried countless wipes , factory resets , format partitions , odin's to different ICS stock roms including bootloader and even wipe efs on occasion out of desperation. Power saving mode does not help, and I have tried about 15 different access points.

I think at this stage its hardware, but don't have a spare phone to use while it goes for repair. Got one lined up to borrow, but it wont be available for a few weeks. So in the mean time i would like to dig further. Currently on the latest Jelly Leak. But the issue is there on all roms. I'm happy to flash something else if it helps with getting some logs.

Any pointers or ideas would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Connect your phone to the computer and open adb shell
Kill any process named wpa_supplicant and type:

Code:
Then attach the generated logfile after having tried connecting to a wifi network.

Alternatively you can run "wpa_cli" and show it's output.