My Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 Overheating

SohumD

May 11, 2011
Just got my phone too there is definite overheating. Just been setting things up and can feel it.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

prodigyX

Jul 19, 2011
Durban
I'm having the same heating issue, but I've noticed that I have the famous 'mediaserver battery drain' issue too. Check under "Settings -> More -> Battery" and see if "Mediaserver" is at the top of the list, and if so, what percentage? Mine is sitting at 55%.

I'm down to 31% battery life after 2hrs 43mins of use :(

I suspect the overheating is a sympton of this misbehaving mediaserver, but I could be wrong

Reactions: powermax91

ste1164

Jan 16, 2010
Darlington
I dont think mediaserver will be the cause of the heat. Probably those processors will be. I think someone had a fix for the media server issue in the N7 forum. The heat will affect the battery life though.

distonocalm

Nov 7, 2011
When I bought the S2 back in 2011 it had the same problem. I've tried numerous ROM's and some were better than others at minimizing the back overheating but none of them completely cured it. Of course each time the phone overheated, the battery took a big hit

I then bought the Note 2 in September last year and Wow! I was impressed...faster CPU yet absolutely no overheating. I thought Samsung has finally solved this issue

Today I bought the S4 and sold the Note 2. What a big mistake! It overheats in almost any application, camera being the worst.

mateenf

Nov 1, 2009
Mumbai
I am having the same problem!! Got my S4 just few hours back.. Even while watching videos it heats up!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

When I bought the S2 back in 2011 it had the same problem. I've tried numerous ROM's and some were better than others at minimizing the back overheating but none of them completely cured it. Of course each time the phone overheated, the battery took a big hit

I then bought the Note 2 in September last year and Wow! I was impressed...faster CPU yet absolutely no overheating. I thought Samsung has finally solved this issue

Today I bought the S4 and sold the Note 2. What a big mistake! It overheats in almost any application, camera being the worst.
We are in the same boat... I was so happy with my note 2. Samsung has disappointed me this time!!! :banghead:

khrystyan27

Oct 13, 2012
RO, Arad
Very dissapointing news...

Just sold my Galaxy Note, and now i don't have any phone...

I was hoping that Galaxy S4 will be the best option for me. :((

- HTC One is a useless brick, not an attractive alternative
- GT-9505 has a low efficiency (battery life will be a shame)
- Note II is not an option for me
- What else? What should i choice?

skivnit

May 21, 2012
Very dissapointing news...

Just sold my Galaxy Note, and now i don't have any phone...

I was hoping that Galaxy S4 will be the best option for me. :((

- HTC One is a useless brick, not an attractive alternative
- GT-9505 has a low efficiency (battery life will be a shame)
- Note II is not an option for me
- What else? What should i choice?
How do you know the 9505 battery sucks? From the reviews it's more than decent

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Reactions: Nedo Ukradan

skivnit

May 21, 2012
I am having the same problem!! Got my S4 just few hours back.. Even while watching videos it heats up!!!!

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

We are in the same boat... I was so happy with my note 2. Samsung has disappointed me this time!!! :banghead:

Is the media scanner running? This is very weird. How can they release a phone that has not been tested?

khrystyan27

Oct 13, 2012
RO, Arad
How do you know the 9505 battery sucks? From the reviews it's more than decent

Because the Exynos (big.LITTLE, architecture) version should be more battery friendly than the Qualcomm version, and if the Exynos fails, than imagine the Qualcomm version.

I just can't imagine that Samsung haven't tested both versions before starting to sell them worldwide... :(

BIG SHAME SAMSUNG!

upperkingjr

Jun 6, 2010
I noticed mine to is getting a little to warm. Reminds of the s2 when I first bought it, and it had horrible battery life..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

skivnit

May 21, 2012
Because the Exynos (big.LITTLE, architecture) version should be more battery friendly than the Qualcomm version, and if the Exynos fails, than imagine the Qualcomm version.

I just can't imagine that Samsung haven't tested both versions before starting to sell them worldwide... :(

BIG SHAME SAMSUNG!
That's not a reason you should wait for the owners reviews before judging. Anyway if this is indeed the case of all the octa phones then I'm cancelling mine and will wait for something else. My s3 and note 2 are running great

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

I'm sure its related to "Mediaserver" misbehaving
Exactly my thoughts. People please check your battery stats and look for media and media server stats

__NBH__

May 20, 2011
The media server issue is normally down to a corrupt file on the phone or SD card.

Try removing the SD card and see if the problem stops. If it does then its a file on the SD card.

If it doesn't then its a file on the phone but this sounds odd as the phones are so new they shouldn't have lots of files on. On my s2 it was cached images from an app that did it, I just deleted them all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app