My Galaxy S4 won't stay connected to the computer via USB

Search This thread

bonusbuy2

Sep 26, 2013
Cables

I had the same issue. Always had a USB cable and was connecting my SG 3. No issues. S G 4 was charging but could not connect and be seen on my PC. After swapping to a different USB, I can now charge and see S G 4.

One sidenote: Initially, I was able to connect to my S G 4 via download Odin mode and successfully rooted the phone. I was thinking that somehow root changed phone's ability to connect via USB. But it was the cable.

svd1977

Sep 22, 2013
Tried root,unroot,flashing custom recovery,pit file,modem,software update via kies,copying files from pc etc.. using only supplied cable and always got success.

XdaRaVen

Jul 26, 2010
Is USB Debugging on in Dev Options ? I have a Laptop Win7 Ultimate 32bit and a Desktop Pc Win7 Ultimate 64bit and never had any Problems connecting my S4 9505 .

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
me too

Pretty annoying this!

I found my one PC works better than the other. My main PC back slots work better than the front ones, and some cables seem better than others.

THIS IS BLOODY WEIRD

I never had this problem with SGS3 or SGS2 or SGS1 or XperiaZ - and not with my wife's iphone4s either.

lakeswolf

May 29, 2012
Mumbai
was facing the same problem , what i did is , i removed lockscreen i.e security,pattern or password instead i kept no locks, ripple or swipe while connecting to pc ta dah !!!! now working properly not any issue now ...

RedEyedDog

Jan 4, 2014
solved for me

Hey guys, I had same problem, tryed everything on here and then restarted phone and it worked :) also you need kies 3 for samsung s4

sneazy

Feb 3, 2014
Galaxy S4 won't stay connected to the computer

any of you having stay connected or going on and off , i noticed as well did a little search on duckduckgo.com and got bit of interesting results and that if you enter *#0808# and choose usb setting { mtp+adb} worked for me thanks

Reactions: stevemc76

paras4495

Feb 20, 2014
I've been having this problem for a while too and my S4 is rooted. I thought it was just my phone, but my sister's S4 is stock and had the same problem. Neither would stay connected to our laptops while trying to put files on the phone. I have a Lenovo Helix, so I tried connecting the usb to the port on the actual tablet instead of the keyboard and it actually worked. The problem with this is that it still took forever to transfer one music album, which is weird because both devices are USB 3.0 and my sd card is a sandisk ultra. If I take the sd card out and plug it into my computer via an adapter, it copies files in a matter of seconds.

I also tried turning off the "USB Debugging" option, but that didnt work. What carrier are your S4s branded? Could it possibly be a software glitch? I'm on 4.3 for AT&T with the 4.4 update ready to install.

fuwuyie

Aug 13, 2009
I have exactly same problem with my home office PC (win 7), but use same phone, same USB cable, no any problem connected to another Win 7 PC, laptop. Somehow S4 didn't like my home office PC, but all other USB devices (including S2) works fine on same PC. I tried almost everything, even rebuilt win 7 system. Same problem. Probably I have to give up.

namitutonka

My friend's S4 was doing the same thing on his desktop. Every time he would try to transfer pics the phone would disconnect after a few files.
I tried different things from reinstalling drivers to trying to only copy over a couple of files at a time, nothing worked.
Finally I plugged his phone into one of the back usb ports and transferred over 2gb with no problem and no disconnects since.
My guess is the S4 is a power hog and some usb ports just don't supply enough juice. Try plugging it in to a usb port that comes off a motherboard. Don't use the front ports or usb hubs. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks man, been fighting with this for two weeks. Had been using front USB 3.0 port, before switching to a back USB 2.0 port. Seems to be working. Finally! :fingers-crossed: see: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2690133&page=24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My friend's S4 was doing the same thing on his desktop. Every time he would try to transfer pics the phone would disconnect after a few files.
    I tried different things from reinstalling drivers to trying to only copy over a couple of files at a time, nothing worked.
    Finally I plugged his phone into one of the back usb ports and transferred over 2gb with no problem and no disconnects since.
    My guess is the S4 is a power hog and some usb ports just don't supply enough juice. Try plugging it in to a usb port that comes off a motherboard. Don't use the front ports or usb hubs. Hope this helps someone.
    I just tested on my sister's laptop and it doesn't have this problem. I clicked around the phone, transferred a 10gb movie, and left it plugged in to see if there were any signs of disconnects. None whatsoever. Odd. Maybe Galaxy S4 just doesn't like something with our computers. This is quite annoying.

I have a fresh Windows 7 64-bit partition I installed the other day so I'll test it out on that and report the results later today.

I do same thing, it is worked in another computer.

I am already put fresh win 7 but still same problem..
    Galaxy S4 won't stay connected to the computer

any of you having stay connected or going on and off , i noticed as well did a little search on duckduckgo.com and got bit of interesting results and that if you enter *#0808# and choose usb setting { mtp+adb} worked for me thanks