My honest Review - downgrade/upgrade - GMS - EMUI10 - Mate20 Pro vs P40 Pro

Search This thread

Cube2412

Mar 25, 2019
Hello Everyone.

(and how i got mad about Huawei)

Its my first thread on Xda so it's gonna be a mixture of everything.
Im not going to do a step by step articles, or copy any of other members links.

The phone it self its a solid build, glass, a lot of glass, metal, curved screen, fast software, good hardware and big camera module.
So everything written above its a thing i'm familiar with. A new thing for me its a camera module that its extended above back side of a phone.
Witch in a first place it was concerning me, but i menage to protect camera (as the phone sits on it when on table) and get use to it when in hand and filling
comfortabe holding it.

My biggest fear it was screen, when i was using Mate20 pro i tried a lot of screen protectors, difrent cases, and in the end i menage to crack the screen.
And that devastate me. A Monster of a phone, with cracked screen (to expensive to replace) was no deal for me.

I tried to fix it with superglue, different screen protectors, and in the end i give up and use it for a few months...till i bought P40 Pro.

And that moment when i got it, i wont even touch it, i wait for a screen protector, and in the end i manage to get a camera protector.
The screen protector i use its 3D curved glass and UV adhesive, and man its sits PERFECTLY!
I ordered it from ebay, made in Germany, high quality and a lot accessories that come with in a package.
It was around 18 euros with shipping.
Dont get my wrong, i spend 45 min. looking an online tutorial for the best technique to apply a glass,
and another 20 minutes to get it right. Well at least, time well spent.

A case that i ordered was a simple transparent silicon case with a air pockets around corners and a 2 mm in height above a camera module witch
was perfect space for a tempered glass for camera.
So that was about protecting phone and its was finally ready to be used.

I power up a phone, fill up a startup wizard, and.. at first sight it was "you *ucking expensive piece of ****!"
I was so angry that i even regret for opening a phone case, and not selling it immediately.

Well, now i was stuck with it, and decide to make it work like it's supposed to be.
Or die trying to do so.

I'm not an expert, far from that, but if you know to use google, read articles, and have a little bit of patience,
you can make it to work.

Its most important not to rush, better read ten articles, than one and brick your phone.
And at the end, ask questions if not sure how or what to do.

I spend 4 hours just reading articles, finding different roms, models, a new and old ways to make a GMS work on my phone
And it did not work for the first time,so i tried again,and again, till i got my phone fully working with GSM, no errors, push notification works,
and updated to last EMUI 10 version.

So im not going to copy link to articles, and explaining to you how to do it.
Dont get my wrong, not that i dont want to, but then it's a several models of a P40 Pro
and its not same way or downgrade rom for every model.

But procedure is a similar - downgrade - instal Googlefier - upgrade.
The most helpful article was from member @bender_007
Google it up!

Few question to myself:
1. Should i upgrade from EMUI 10 to EMUI 11 this year - NO
2. Its there a big difference to EMUI10/11 - Noting inportant to me.
3. Should i buy a phone as an upgrade from Mate20 Pro - NO
4. Do i think so that its a this year flagship phone - NO
5. Am i fully satisfied with phone - NO
6. What is better on p40 pro compare to Mate20 Pro - Smother screen
7. What is better on Mate20 pro compare to p40 pro - macro camera, preinstalled GMS, GooglePay
8. Would i recommend someone to buy this phone - NO
9. Do cost of a phone means better? - NO
10. Why do i whrite this article? - Becuse im mad.

Please, comment, and try to change my mind.

Chears!

Hello Everyone.

(and how i got mad about Huawei)

Its my first thread on Xda so it's gonna be a mixture of everything.
Im not going to do a step by step articles, or copy any of other members links.

The phone it self its a solid build, glass, a lot of glass, metal, curved screen, fast software, good hardware and big camera module.
So everything written above its a thing i'm familiar with. A new thing for me its a camera module that its extended above back side of a phone.
Witch in a first place it was concerning me, but i menage to protect camera (as the phone sits on it when on table) and get use to it when in hand and filling
comfortabe holding it.

My biggest fear it was screen, when i was using Mate20 pro i tried a lot of screen protectors, difrent cases, and in the end i menage to crack the screen.
And that devastate me. A Monster of a phone, with cracked screen (to expensive to replace) was no deal for me.

I tried to fix it with superglue, different screen protectors, and in the end i give up and use it for a few months...till i bought P40 Pro.

And that moment when i got it, i wont even touch it, i wait for a screen protector, and in the end i manage to get a camera protector.
The screen protector i use its 3D curved glass and UV adhesive, and man its sits PERFECTLY!
I ordered it from ebay, made in Germany, high quality and a lot accessories that come with in a package.
It was around 18 euros with shipping.
Dont get my wrong, i spend 45 min. looking an online tutorial for the best technique to apply a glass,
and another 20 minutes to get it right. Well at least, time well spent.

A case that i ordered was a simple transparent silicon case with a air pockets around corners and a 2 mm in height above a camera module witch
was perfect space for a tempered glass for camera.
So that was about protecting phone and its was finally ready to be used.

I power up a phone, fill up a startup wizard, and.. at first sight it was "you *ucking expensive piece of ****!"
I was so angry that i even regret for opening a phone case, and not selling it immediately.

Well, now i was stuck with it, and decide to make it work like it's supposed to be.
Or die trying to do so.

I'm not an expert, far from that, but if you know to use google, read articles, and have a little bit of patience,
you can make it to work.

Its most important not to rush, better read ten articles, than one and brick your phone.
And at the end, ask questions if not sure how or what to do.

I spend 4 hours just reading articles, finding different roms, models, a new and old ways to make a GMS work on my phone
And it did not work for the first time,so i tried again,and again, till i got my phone fully working with GSM, no errors, push notification works,
and updated to last EMUI 10 version.

So im not going to copy link to articles, and explaining to you how to do it.
Dont get my wrong, not that i dont want to, but then it's a several models of a P40 Pro
and its not same way or downgrade rom for every model.

But procedure is a similar - downgrade - instal Googlefier - upgrade.
The most helpful article was from member @bender_007
Google it up!

Few question to myself:
1. Should i upgrade from EMUI 10 to EMUI 11 this year - NO
2. Its there a big difference to EMUI10/11 - Noting inportant to me.
3. Should i buy a phone as an upgrade from Mate20 Pro - NO
4. Do i think so that its a this year flagship phone - NO
5. Am i fully satisfied with phone - NO
6. What is better on p40 pro compare to Mate20 Pro - Smother screen
7. What is better on Mate20 pro compare to p40 pro - macro camera, preinstalled GMS, GooglePay
8. Would i recommend someone to buy this phone - NO
9. Do cost of a phone means better? - NO
10. Why do i whrite this article? - Becuse im mad.

Please, comment, and try to change my mind.

Chears!

Any ideas on how to get firebase notifications going ? i have set up GMS successfully with Googlifier but not notifications .

2thelimit

Oct 20, 2012
Any ideas on how to get firebase notifications going ? i have set up GMS successfully with Googlifier but not notifications .
You have to freeze gsf, google it. The easiest method to do that is with multitool v8. But the sad thing is that you will lose gps location accuracy. Some users at least reported this.

You have to freeze gsf, google it. The easiest method to do that is with multitool v8. But the sad thing is that you will lose gps location accuracy. Some users at least reported this.

i tried freezing GSF with icebox but still dont get firebase notifications. Steps i take:

I set up google services with Googlifier, get play store and etc running, however the phone doesnt register for firebase notifications.

i then freeze Google services framework with Ice box, but phone still doesnt register for push notifications.

mikecmike

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
Just a side question. I installed Gmail on Huawei P40 Pro (with Google Services installed using Googlefier) and I am receiving no notifcations from Gmail. The email syncs perfectly, just that no notification and only when I open the Gmail app explicitly, then I can see the new email.

2thelimit

Oct 20, 2012
i tried freezing GSF with icebox but still dont get firebase notifications. Steps i take:

I set up google services with Googlifier, get play store and etc running, however the phone doesnt register for firebase notifications.

i then freeze Google services framework with Ice box, but phone still doesnt register for push notifications.
download push notification checker to verify that push is working. i thionk you have the same problems as me. Try put desired aplications on manually with all 3 things enabled. And in app, app, special acces, battery optimizations, turn off desired applications

download push notification checker to verify that push is working. i thionk you have the same problems as me. Try put desired aplications on manually with all 3 things enabled. And in app, app, special acces, battery optimizations, turn off desired applications

Thats my point, the device cant register for gcm notifications. the checker says its not registered. and thats what my issue is :)

2thelimit

Oct 20, 2012
Thats my point, the device cant register for gcm notifications. the checker says its not registered. and thats what my issue is :)
Nooo something did go wrong because on all p40 pro, if the gms was installed correctly and you freeze gsf you get registered for notifications. I suggest to start over again, factory reset and googlefire after. And when you have gms them you install your apps. Trust me is working 😉. Before reinstall and everything try one thing, update google services maybe that will fix

Nooo something did go wrong because on all p40 pro, if the gms was installed correctly and you freeze gsf you get registered for notifications. I suggest to start over again, factory reset and googlefire after. And when you have gms them you install your apps. Trust me is working 😉. Before reinstall and everything try one thing, update google services maybe that will fix

So I set up Google again and this time got push working, then freezed gst, all is fine. Last issue is I can't seem to get an ota update to new version. I downgraded to 121 to do Google setup. But now stuck on it.

2thelimit

Oct 20, 2012
So I set up Google again and this time got push working, then freezed gst, all is fine. Last issue is I can't seem to get an ota update to new version. I downgraded to 121 to do Google setup. But now stuck on it.
Some say to wait a few days or a week, it will come if not check this video

I didn't need it because my p40pro received an instant update to 176. Hiw are the notifications now from facebook, whatsapp, messenger and mail?

Some say to wait a few days or a week, it will come if not check this video

I didn't need it because my p40pro received an instant update to 176. Hiw are the notifications now from facebook, whatsapp, messenger and mail?

All is good, registered for gcm notifications when i check notification tester, and everything coming through :) Just waiting on the OTA now.