My Internal Storage Fix

Search This thread
This is the Step By Step Guide to how I solved my issue with the Internal Storage on my MTCB Android Head Unit.
These units come stock with a 1 GB internal storage partition and that was not enough for me, so I found a way to double it to 2 GB.
I am using a JOYING RK3188 800x480 head unit which I bought on amazon. This also worked on my Pumpkin C0250 RK3188 1024x600.
It worked for me, it may work for you.
I am not responsible for anything , EVER, ANYWHERE, IT'S NOT MY FAULT!
Seriously though, there are risks involved in this and I cannot be held responsible for what may happen if you choose to do this. YOYO
The tool is credited to WENDAL of Slatedroid. I found it here https://github.com/VeronicaEC/veronicaec.github.io/tree/master/MK808/Rockchip_TOOLS

• Step 1: Create a folder called Stock, and unzip the tool into that folder and it will be in a folder called RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool
    This folder will contain a Temp folder as well as some .dll files, an app called "Runme" and a few other things. there are 21 files in all.
    The most important of these for me are Temp, and Runme.
  • Step 2: In the folder STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool I placed a copy of the STOCK Unmodified firmware for my head unit, which is called "update.img" I then renamed this file to "wendal.img" (without the quote marks, because this is what the tool is looking for.)
  • Step 3: Next, I opened the app called "Runme" and a cmd window labled "Android Firmware Package Tool v1.3" opened on my desktop with instructions. 1-Unpack 2-Pack 3-Exit.
    I entered 1 and pressed enter at the prompt to continue. This unpacked my firmware into the "Temp" Folder, then I entered 3 to Exit the tool.
  • Step 4: Inside the "Temp" folder were now 7 items, one of which is called "parameter" This was the only item I would be dealing with.
    There may be other things I could change in here, but this thread is not about that. "parameter"is what I want, and "Temp" is where it is now located.
  • Step 5: So, now that I have the stock "parameter" file right where I want it I removed it. That's right, I pulled that little bugger right out of "Temp" and threw it away.
  • Step 6: At this point I needed a replacement for "parameter" and I needed to get it into the folder STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp
    so I stole one from another firmware. I only needed a 2 GB patition for internal storage, and since I had a copy of the Malaysk ROM that was right for my unit, and that firmware had a 2 GB partition, I created another Folder on my desktop called "Malaysk" and unzipped a fresh copy of RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool into that directory. This helped prevent confusion.
  • Step 7: Now I took that copy of the Malaysk Rom called "update.img" and placed it in the directory labled "Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool"
  • Step 8: Then I changed the name of that img to "wendal.img" (because that is what the UnPack tool wants it to be called)
  • Step 9: It was time to open "Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Runme" and unpack Malaysk Rom. into "Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp" So I opened Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Runme and once again entered 1 to unpack, then I entered 3 to Exit the tool.
  • Step 10: I opened the folder Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp and there I found the new modified "parameter" file. I made a copy of this new parameter file and placed it in the folder STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp to replace the one I had thrown away.
  • Step 11: Now I was ready to repack the firmware I had in the STOCK folder. So I opened Runme from STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool and entered 2 for "Pack" to repack the firmware and pressed enter when prompted. This creates a new firmware file called "update_new.img"
  • Step 12: I copied update_new.img to the SD card for my Head Unit and renamed the img to "update.img" Then I flashed the firmware to my head unit using the method described in the firmware flash section of this forum.
  • Step 13: As I was reminded by jbleasdale below, whenever one is flashing a Rom to change any partition size on these units, it is necessary to do a factory/data wipe from the recovery menu on your first boot after the flash.

Last edited:

jbleasdale

Feb 16, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21
Good find! Many thanks for documenting this so clearly.

I followed these steps on my Joying RK3188 1024x600 unit and it worked well. Nothing appeared to have changed after performing the update at first, however I used the factory/data wipe option from the Recovery menu and I now have a much more usable 2Gb partition.

I followed these steps on my Joying RK3188 1024x600 unit and it worked well. Nothing appeared to have changed after performing the update at first, however I used the factory/data wipe option from the Recovery menu and I now have a much more usable 2Gb partition.

Thanks for the reminder, I shall add this step to my post. Glad to know it worked for you.

tariqkhan.co.uk

Nov 18, 2015
London
www.tariqkhan.co.uk
Clear and concise instructions, but something isn't working for me?

I've tried replacing the parameter file from Malaysk, which didn't work and then tried DSA and that didn't work either.

In the end, as I had already wiped the system, I thought I'd give DSA ROM a go. It's as good as stock and has a 2GB partition so will be using that for now.

Out of curiosity, I have attached images of the error I encountered when trying to flash with the new parameter file. Any ideas where I went wrong?

normal.jpg
wtf.jpg
ahcrap.jpg

Clear and concise instructions, but something isn't working for me?

I've tried replacing the parameter file from Malaysk, which didn't work and then tried DSA and that didn't work either.

In the end, as I had already wiped the system, I thought I'd give DSA ROM a go. It's as good as stock and has a 2GB partition so will be using that for now.

Out of curiosity, I have attached images of the error I encountered when trying to flash with the new parameter file. Any ideas where I went wrong?

View attachment 3562392
View attachment 3562393
View attachment 3562394

I have run into this issue a few times on my Joying unit when I first tried to flash an untouched Stock Rom. If I recall properly,
I had to make 3 or 4 tries before the unit would accept the firmware. DSA has a number of solid firmware solutions for these head units, so it's difficult to go wrong choosing one of those. If anyone else has insight into this issue I would be interested in the solution.
Thank you for your feedback.

tariqkhan.co.uk

Nov 18, 2015
London
www.tariqkhan.co.uk
I have run into this issue a few times on my Joying unit when I first tried to flash an untouched Stock Rom. If I recall properly,
I had to make 3 or 4 tries before the unit would accept the firmware. DSA has a number of solid firmware solutions for these head units, so it's difficult to go wrong choosing one of those. If anyone else has insight into this issue I would be interested in the solution.
Thank you for your feedback.

It would be even better if someone can detail how to create your own parameter file; this may provide some light onto what actually went wrong?

Motafota

Aug 18, 2012
Nand flash

I gave this a try with my JOYING R3188 x600 with the lastest Beta JOYING rom and used the parameters file from lastest malaysk mod and no luck!

- I did a factory/cache wipe through recovery both before and after flashing and though i have 13gb free internal memory... the NAND FLASH shows as unmounted and that's a problem when trying to download anything because it needs an external "sd" so it calls it to save to (i have an sd, it's the NAND it's looking for)

I gave this a try with my JOYING R3188 x600 with the lastest Beta JOYING rom and used the parameters file from lastest malaysk mod and no luck!

- I did a factory/cache wipe through recovery both before and after flashing and though i have 13gb free internal memory... the NAND FLASH shows as unmounted and that's a problem when trying to download anything because it needs an external "sd" so it calls it to save to (i have an sd, it's the NAND it's looking for)

The problem with using the file from the most recent Malaysk Rom is that it is a FUSE Rom. This is a completely different type of file system.
You can use this technique with the older Malaysk Parameter file as long as it is from a Pre-FUSE Rom. Thanks for sharing your results. :good:

jakejm79

Jan 29, 2010
Figured I'd share my parameters file for 3GB of user data and also explain how to create whatever you'd like (if you'd like to go beyond that or something different than the 2GB on Mal's Rom).
If you look at the bottom line of the parameter file (open it in notepad or similar) you will see it defines not only the partition size for each partition (0x00200000 for example is 1GB) but also the start point of the partition @0x00080000 for example is where the user data partition starts).
Now when we increase one partition it has the knock on effect of changing the start point of all of the following ones.
So for example if the user data partition starts at @0x00080000 and is originally 0x00200000 in size, the next partition (metadata) would start at @0x00280000 (the 0x00080000 original start point of the user data partition + the size of the user data partition 0x00200000, 0x00080000 + 0x00200000 = 0x00280000).
The meta data partition is 0x00002000 in size so the next partition would start at 0x00282000 (0x00280000 + 0x00002000) and so on and so forth.
So if we want to change the user data partition to 3GB (0x00600000) we change the size part of the user data to that and then we add on whatever the increase was, so if our original partition size was 0x00200000 we added 0x00400000 to it so the start position for each partition that follows gets increased by 0x00400000
See in bold for the changes in a partial example:
Code:
0x00200000@0x00080000(userdata),0x00002000@0x00280000(metadata),0x00002000@0x00282000(kpanic),0x00180000@0x00284000(system),0x00040000@0x00404000(oem), [user=2610264]@0x00[/user]444000(user)
becomes
Code:
0x00[B]6[/B]00000@0x00080000(userdata),0x00002000@0x00[B]6[/B]80000(metadata),0x00002000@0x00[B]6[/B]82000(kpanic),0x00180000@0x00[B]6[/B]84000(system),0x00040000@0x00[B]8[/B]04000(oem), [user=2610264]@0x00[/user][B]8[/B]44000(user)
has you can see the size of the userdata partition was increased by 0x0040000 (additional 2GB) and then the start point for every partition after was increased by the same 0x00400000, for a 3GB increase you'd use 0x0060000 and so on.

Attachments

• parameter.rar
    426 bytes · Views: 282
Last edited:
Reactions: mr-bond and JrFaust

pinotuning

Jun 15, 2009
This method does not work, I tried many times but always error !
this method I had found online several months before...
You know another working method ?

Last edited:

benjamin1492

Dec 24, 2008
This is the Step By Step Guide to how I solved my issue with the Internal Storage on my MTCB Android Head Unit.
These units come stock with a 1 GB internal storage partition and that was not enough for me, so I found a way to double it to 2 GB.
I am using a JOYING RK3188 800x480 head unit which I bought on amazon. This also worked on my Pumpkin C0250 RK3188 1024x600.
Seriously though, there are risks involved in this and I cannot be held responsible for what may happen if you choose to do this. YOYO
The tool is credited to WENDAL of Slatedroid. I found it here https://github.com/VeronicaEC/veronicaec.github.io/tree/master/MK808/Rockchip_TOOLS

• Step 1: Create a folder called Stock, and unzip the tool into that folder and it will be in a folder called RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool
    This folder will contain a Temp folder as well as some .dll files, an app called "Runme" and a few other things. there are 21 files in all.
  • Step 2: In the folder STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool I placed a copy of the STOCK Unmodified firmware for my head unit, which is called "update.img" I then renamed this file to "wendal.img" (without the quote marks, because this is what the tool is looking for.)
  • Step 3: Next, I opened the app called "Runme" and a cmd window labled "Android Firmware Package Tool v1.3" opened on my desktop with instructions. 1-Unpack 2-Pack 3-Exit.
    I entered 1 and pressed enter at the prompt to continue. This unpacked my firmware into the "Temp" Folder, then I entered 3 to Exit the tool.
  • Step 4: Inside the "Temp" folder were now 7 items, one of which is called "parameter" This was the only item I would be dealing with.
    There may be other things I could change in here, but this thread is not about that. "parameter"is what I want, and "Temp" is where it is now located.
  • Step 5: So, now that I have the stock "parameter" file right where I want it I removed it. That's right, I pulled that little bugger right out of "Temp" and threw it away.
  • Step 6: At this point I needed a replacement for "parameter" and I needed to get it into the folder STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp
    so I stole one from another firmware. I only needed a 2 GB patition for internal storage, and since I had a copy of the Malaysk ROM that was right for my unit, and that firmware had a 2 GB partition, I created another Folder on my desktop called "Malaysk" and unzipped a fresh copy of RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool into that directory. This helped prevent confusion.
  • Step 7: Now I took that copy of the Malaysk Rom called "update.img" and placed it in the directory labled "Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool"
  • Step 8: Then I changed the name of that img to "wendal.img" (because that is what the UnPack tool wants it to be called)
  • Step 9: It was time to open "Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Runme" and unpack Malaysk Rom. into "Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp" So I opened Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Runme and once again entered 1 to unpack, then I entered 3 to Exit the tool.
  • Step 10: I opened the folder Malaysk\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp and there I found the new modified "parameter" file. I made a copy of this new parameter file and placed it in the folder STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool\Temp to replace the one I had thrown away.
  • Step 11: Now I was ready to repack the firmware I had in the STOCK folder. So I opened Runme from STOCK\RK3066_IMG_Mod_Tool and entered 2 for "Pack" to repack the firmware and pressed enter when prompted. This creates a new firmware file called "update_new.img"
  • Step 12: I copied update_new.img to the SD card for my Head Unit and renamed the img to "update.img" Then I flashed the firmware to my head unit using the method described in the firmware flash section of this forum.
  • Step 13: As I was reminded by jbleasdale below, whenever one is flashing a Rom to change any partition size on these units, it is necessary to do a factory/data wipe from the recovery menu on your first boot after the flash.
Thanks, Rickthecabbie and the other contributors. I followed the detailed directions and now have 2 GB on Pumpkin RK3188. Not a single hiccup and finished in 30 minutes, most of which was spent downloading the files.

scanner718

Apr 8, 2016

Can someone please let me know if this still works on the joying with 4.4? Also very important, if i do the factory/data wipe option will it erase everything and put me back to stock?? ALso i heard after a whip you cant use easy connect, any help is appreciated cause im at my last wits with this pathetic space, cant update anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Figured I'd share my parameters file for 3GB of user data and also explain how to create whatever you'd like (if you'd like to go beyond that or something different than the 2GB on Mal's Rom).
    If you look at the bottom line of the parameter file (open it in notepad or similar) you will see it defines not only the partition size for each partition (0x00200000 for example is 1GB) but also the start point of the partition @0x00080000 for example is where the user data partition starts).
    Now when we increase one partition it has the knock on effect of changing the start point of all of the following ones.
    So for example if the user data partition starts at @0x00080000 and is originally 0x00200000 in size, the next partition (metadata) would start at @0x00280000 (the 0x00080000 original start point of the user data partition + the size of the user data partition 0x00200000, 0x00080000 + 0x00200000 = 0x00280000).
    The meta data partition is 0x00002000 in size so the next partition would start at 0x00282000 (0x00280000 + 0x00002000) and so on and so forth.
    So if we want to change the user data partition to 3GB (0x00600000) we change the size part of the user data to that and then we add on whatever the increase was, so if our original partition size was 0x00200000 we added 0x00400000 to it so the start position for each partition that follows gets increased by 0x00400000
    See in bold for the changes in a partial example:
    Code:
    0x00200000@0x00080000(userdata),0x00002000@0x00280000(metadata),0x00002000@0x00282000(kpanic),0x00180000@0x00284000(system),0x00040000@0x00404000(oem), [user=2610264]@0x00[/user]444000(user)
    becomes
    Code:
    0x00[B]6[/B]00000@0x00080000(userdata),0x00002000@0x00[B]6[/B]80000(metadata),0x00002000@0x00[B]6[/B]82000(kpanic),0x00180000@0x00[B]6[/B]84000(system),0x00040000@0x00[B]8[/B]04000(oem), [user=2610264]@0x00[/user][B]8[/B]44000(user)
    has you can see the size of the userdata partition was increased by 0x0040000 (additional 2GB) and then the start point for every partition after was increased by the same 0x00400000, for a 3GB increase you'd use 0x0060000 and so on.
    MCU affected?

This might be a silly question, but I have a unit that doesn't have an sd card - it's just 16GB all internal - and only 1GB for the data partition. The MCU is also not a standard one, and is linked to controlling the car climate control - so I don't want to touch that at all.

So, silly question time - will wiping the entire internal 16GB to re-partition my data storage (or install a FUSE ROM for that matter) affect the MCU?

Thanks in Advance!
    This might be a silly question, but I have a unit that doesn't have an sd card - it's just 16GB all internal - and only 1GB for the data partition. The MCU is also not a standard one, and is linked to controlling the car climate control - so I don't want to touch that at all.

So, silly question time - will wiping the entire internal 16GB to re-partition my data storage (or install a FUSE ROM for that matter) affect the MCU?

Thanks in Advance!

From what I understand of these units, The MCU is like a BIOS.
    It should be stored in a totally different chip to all other storage, and changing the storage partition for the O.S. should have no impact on it.
    That said, I am overly cautious when it comes to messing around with stuff, so if I did not have a backup copy of the O.S. and the MCU,
    I would not proceed .