My N10 Keeps freezing and resetting

Search This thread

Westfire

Nov 6, 2008
Kansas City
Yeah I am getting really tired of the random reboots. I was listening to Google Music for about an hour and then all the sudden in the middle of a song it rebooted. No rhyme or reason. I hope they release an update soon. Mine reboots randomly 2-3 times a day.

KestrelX

Nov 23, 2012
I'm running cm 10.1 and ktmanta kernel. Google ads, location services, chrome disabled. No reboots. Give it a shot!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

samaraki

Jul 21, 2010
No need to return the tablet for software issues.... Updates will come quick. That's a Nexus!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Terrible advice... Not quick and how do you know its software?
They never fixed the crashing or WiFi. I just bought my tabby this week... I dunno why everyone thinks its firmware, I have 2 friends with the N10 without any of these problems.

Serial Abuser

Oct 20, 2011
Fixed!

My N10 has had the random hangs and reboots from the beginning but lately it got to the point where I couldn't browse for more than about 15 minutes without a reboot. I finally got fed up with it and thought I would try a factory reset like some people had recommended. I installed TWRP and SuperSU while I was at it since I knew I'd want root at some point just so I can use Titanium Backup. I did a factory wipe but did not change the kernel or ROM. I also turned off location services (again) and disabled Chrome.

It's been three days of heavy use with Chrome Beta and I haven't had a single hang or reboot. In a few days I'll turn location services on and see if it stays stable. I suspect magic was the wipe, but can't prove it at this point.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Terrible advice... Not quick and how do you know its software?
They never fixed the crashing or WiFi. I just bought my tabby this week... I dunno why everyone thinks its firmware, I have 2 friends with the N10 without any of these problems.

Firmware engineer here...

Hardware has bugs. Hardware manufacturing has bugs. These bugs are difficult to find during development because low-volume manufacturing is very expensive, so a development team may only have a few tens of prototypes to with with and a QA team may only have a few hundred. When this scales up to millions of units, there are going to be new bugs found as the manufacturing processes scale up. These bugs get fixed in firmware because it can be done later in the development cycle (though it goes on through the entire development as well). So people might mistakenly identify these problems as firmware bugs or not, but either way, the problem gets fixed in firmware.

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009
suggested OS fix for the random reboots issue

My N10 has had the random hangs and reboots from the beginning but lately it got to the point where I couldn't browse for more than about 15 minutes without a reboot. I finally got fed up with it and thought I would try a factory reset like some people had recommended. I installed TWRP and SuperSU while I was at it since I knew I'd want root at some point just so I can use Titanium Backup. I did a factory wipe but did not change the kernel or ROM. I also turned off location services (again) and disabled Chrome.

It's been three days of heavy use with Chrome Beta and I haven't had a single hang or reboot. In a few days I'll turn location services on and see if it stays stable. I suspect magic was the wipe, but can't prove it at this point.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Firmware engineer here...

Hardware has bugs. Hardware manufacturing has bugs. These bugs are difficult to find during development because low-volume manufacturing is very expensive, so a development team may only have a few tens of prototypes to with with and a QA team may only have a few hundred. When this scales up to millions of units, there are going to be new bugs found as the manufacturing processes scale up. These bugs get fixed in firmware because it can be done later in the development cycle (though it goes on through the entire development as well). So people might mistakenly identify these problems as firmware bugs or not, but either way, the problem gets fixed in firmware.

Since I also have seen this random reboot issue on my nexus 7 tablet, as a software developer myself (though not an Android dev) I've been looking into this bug myself analyzing reports and debug trace logs. Every error dump log I've seen so far when the reboot occurred shows that it was due to an invalid argument variable or null pointer exception within the activityManager processing in the java routine called Parcel().
My own nexus log showed me that an app (winamp pro in this particular case) was the culprit. Apparently the app comes alive all by itself to do whatever mysterious tasks under the covers without you starting it explicitly. It passes an invalid value argument to the activityManager Parcel() method which triggers an error condition that is not caught by the Parcel() method. Since the error is not caught and handled locally in this routine, the error is passed up to the default OS error handler routine which is to stop and reboot the system. I suspect that there are many apps that were compiled for earlier OS SDK versions and are what is triggering this uncaught error causing the random reboots. It is not just the winamp app I mentioned above in my case but can be any old app from before Jelly Bean version v4.2 or v4.2.1.

My suggestion to Google development team then is to add java try{} catch {} blocks wrapping around those sections of code where the errors are happening. Let me know if this helps you solve the mystery reboots bug. If you need help, I am for hire at this point in time space. Not joking either.

Last edited:

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Since I also have seen this random reboot issue on my nexus 7 tablet, as a software developer myself (though not an Android dev) I've been looking into this bug myself analyzing reports and debug trace logs. Every error dump log I've seen so far when the reboot occurred shows that it was due to an invalid argument variable or null pointer exception within the activityManager processing in the java routine called Parcel().
My own nexus log showed me that an app (winamp pro in this particular case) was the culprit. Apparently the app comes alive all by itself to do whatever mysterious tasks under the covers without you starting it explicitly. It passes an invalid value argument to the activityManager Parcel() method which triggers an error condition that is not caught by the Parcel() method. Since the error is not caught and handled locally in this routine, the error is passed up to the default OS error handler routine which is to stop and reboot the system. I suspect that there are many apps that were compiled for earlier OS SDK versions and are what is triggering this uncaught error causing the random reboots. It is not just the winamp app I mentioned above in my case but can be any old app from before Jelly Bean version v4.2 or v4.2.1.

My suggestion to Google development team then is to add java try{} catch {} blocks wrapping around those sections of code where the errors are happening. Let me know if this helps you solve the mystery reboots bug. If you need help, I am for hire at this point in time space. Not joking either.

only thing about this is, i also have the galaxy nexus(sprint),running 4.2.1
your definition sounds like its independant of phone that android is running on, since you pinpoint older apps being the problem
i pretty much run the same apps on my phone and tablet
only had the phone for 2 weeks but havent had a reboot,or even a freeze that i can remember
on nexus 10 i get 5 or so reboots a day
so not sure why the galaxy nexus is catching the error, but not the nexus 10,making it crash/reboot

and i guess there is no 4.1 JB rom to test to see if indeed 4.2.1 is definitively the culprit?

Last edited:

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009
only thing about this is, i also have the galaxy nexus(sprint),running 4.2.1
your definition sounds like its independant of phone that android is running on, since you pinpoint older apps being the problem
i pretty much run the same apps on my phone and tablet
only had the phone for 2 weeks but havent had a reboot,or even a freeze that i can remember
on nexus 10 i get 5 or so reboots a day
so not sure why the galaxy nexus is catching the error, but not the nexus 10,making it crash/reboot

and i guess there is no 4.1 JB rom to test to see if indeed 4.2.1 is definitively the culprit?

I can't speculate on why your Galaxy Nexus phone does not or has not yet crashed and rebooted but your Nexus 10 does assuming you really do have the exact same apps and environment loaded under v4.2.1. However there could be lots of reasons why.
- It's possible that you do have something different loaded on your Nexus 10 causing the reboots that you are not aware of is not on your phone.
- It's possible that the offending app or apps (whatever it or they might be) are not executing the same routines on each of the devices. That's because the Android apps are (or might be) designed to run different routines (code sections) depending on the hardware it detects (like cpu, gpu, screen size, etc.) thus one branch of the code may cause the error trigger and the other branch of code maybe does not cause the error.

The best way for you to find out which apps are causing the reboots is to enable the 'Developer's Mode' and turn on debug tracing to generate log files each time it crashes and reboots. When you examine the logs, you should be able to get a clue as to which app was being processed when the FATAL error occurs. The logs are very busy and complex looking but you can simply search for certain keywords like 'FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS' or 'java.lang.IllegalArgumentException' or 'am_crash'.
When you find those lines in the log, look at the lines preceding them for the name of an app. It's the app that caused the exception.
When you get the name of the app, uninstall it from your Nexus device and see if the reboots stop.
If you still get yet another reboot after removing the first bad app, then look at your debug log again from the next crash and see what other app caused the crash. Then again remove that app and run again to see if you get reboots still. and so on until you've eliminated all the incompatible apps. That's all I can recommend for now until Google dev team delivers their ultimate OS fix.

punzada

Feb 4, 2008
I can't speculate on why your Galaxy Nexus phone does not or has not yet crashed and rebooted but your Nexus 10 does assuming you really do have the exact same apps and environment loaded under v4.2.1. However there could be lots of reasons why.
- It's possible that you do have something different loaded on your Nexus 10 causing the reboots that you are not aware of is not on your phone.
- It's possible that the offending app or apps (whatever it or they might be) are not executing the same routines on each of the devices. That's because the Android apps are (or might be) designed to run different routines (code sections) depending on the hardware it detects (like cpu, gpu, screen size, etc.) thus one branch of the code may cause the error trigger and the other branch of code maybe does not cause the error.

The best way for you to find out which apps are causing the reboots is to enable the 'Developer's Mode' and turn on debug tracing to generate log files each time it crashes and reboots. When you examine the logs, you should be able to get a clue as to which app was being processed when the FATAL error occurs. The logs are very busy and complex looking but you can simply search for certain keywords like 'FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS' or 'java.lang.IllegalArgumentException' or 'am_crash'.
When you find those lines in the log, look at the lines preceding them for the name of an app. It's the app that caused the exception.
When you get the name of the app, uninstall it from your Nexus device and see if the reboots stop.
If you still get yet another reboot after removing the first bad app, then look at your debug log again from the next crash and see what other app caused the crash. Then again remove that app and run again to see if you get reboots still. and so on until you've eliminated all the incompatible apps. That's all I can recommend for now until Google dev team delivers their ultimate OS fix.

Thanks for this wonderful information as I'm currently one of the people getting random reboots a good few times daily and would love to narrow down the culprit. However, in the developer options I don't see a specific option to turn on debug tracing do you know what I need to enable? (And also where the log files are stored so I can review them?) I have the option to select a debug app but don't have one installed, and I see options to enable tracing on lots of things like graphics, input, audio, etc but nothing either application, shutdown/reboot or debug specific. Thanks for any help in advance hopefully if enough of us review these logs we can collectively narrow down some problem apps to avoid.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Thanks for this wonderful information as I'm currently one of the people getting random reboots a good few times daily and would love to narrow down the culprit. However, in the developer options I don't see a specific option to turn on debug tracing do you know what I need to enable? (And also where the log files are stored so I can review them?) I have the option to select a debug app but don't have one installed, and I see options to enable tracing on lots of things like graphics, input, audio, etc but nothing either application, shutdown/reboot or debug specific. Thanks for any help in advance hopefully if enough of us review these logs we can collectively narrow down some problem apps to avoid.

yeah would like to know the same 2 things

This page should tell you everything you need: http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport.

how so? its just a page to send in a bug report
it says to attach a report but as mentioned we 2 at least dont know how to do that

Last edited:

scottws

Feb 10, 2012

it says to attach a report but as mentioned we 2 at least dont know how to do that

It tells you exactly how to take a bug report. Click on the device name for the per-device instructions.

Infobits

Jul 11, 2009

Rather than retype all the steps here, here is a link to another forum where someone has already posted how to enable the developer mode on the new Android v4.2.x OS. It is post #26 here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40140

my handle on that forum is exists2Wonder where I have also been posting my findings and thoughts on this issue. Over there I posted an example of my debug log lines that show how I found out that the winamp pro app that was installed on my Nexus 7 caused a random reboot. You can use those log lines I showed as an example for what to search for, for similar keywords in your logs. I think one of the main keywords you can search for that is shown is 'boot_progress_start' which to me seems to indicate the point at which the system restarte was initiated. Good Luck and post all your findings to help troubleshoot this issue.

Last edited:

Hiro11

Jun 1, 2008
Still no news from Google on a fix for this, huh?

If I use Chrome, mine crashes about one time for every 3-4 hours of use. It spontaneously restarted last night while I dumped out of HBOGO: no lock-up, just suddenl went to the "Nexus X" symbol and restarted. It's the first time that has ever happened. The vast majority of the other crashes have been Chrome related. Regardless, a very, very annoying bug that should have been caught given that it's a first-party app on first-party hardware.

scottws

Feb 10, 2012
Still no news from Google on a fix for this, huh?

If I use Chrome, mine crashes about one time for every 3-4 hours of use. It spontaneously restarted last night while I dumped out of HBOGO: no lock-up, just suddenl went to the "Nexus X" symbol and restarted. It's the first time that has ever happened. The vast majority of the other crashes have been Chrome related. Regardless, a very, very annoying bug that should have been caught given that it's a first-party app on first-party hardware.

Some guy from Google responded in the official Google product forum and sort of informally acknowledged the issue, but that is all I've seen directly from Google on this issue. Also no real whispers of when the next version of android might drop. There were some reports of Nexus 4 devices showing up with 4.2.2 in Brazil am couple weeks ago, but I don't know if they were ever substantiated. It is pretty easy to modify build.prop to show any version you want.

Here is the link to the Google product group I am referring to: http://productforums.google.com/d/topic/mobile/VFYnt7uN9d0/discussion.

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
I reverted back to 4.2 and minimal apps. I had only stock apps and boot logger and still had lockups. I got the logs and I'll see what apps are prior to the errors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
...The logs are very busy and complex looking but you can simply search for certain keywords like 'FATAL EXCEPTION IN SYSTEM PROCESS' or 'java.lang.IllegalArgumentException' or 'am_crash'. ........

So if I am reading my logs right it looks like talk is the culprit? That can't be right, can it?

That is the nearest thing I see to "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException". Again this is on 4.2 with no updates applied and only bootlogger installed.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We tell our customers who are rooted and testing to use Catlog (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

It works well, has filtering, and can periodically write logs to a file so you don't miss something. If you don't know when your device is going to have an "issue" that you want to log, it is probably best to be conservative and have Catlog save more often.

To make sure you catch every crash, we tell our customers to use Bootlog Uptime (found here in the Google Play Store):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

It will alert you with a Notification each and every time the device is restarted without you telling it to. It is an invaluable tool to use alongside Catlog to figure out when and how often a device is rebooting.
    Update from "Paul from Google" on the Google thread:

Thanks again to everyone for continuing to post your experiences and share information with the community. We're continuing to investigate this issue, and we'd like to collect some additional bug reports from some of you still experiencing this.

To submit a bug report please follow this checklist:

•You have a Nexus 10 running Android 4.2.2.
    •You have not modified the software on your tablet by installing a custom ROM or manually flashing/upgrading to Android 4.2.2.
    •There's no need to have your device in safe mode.
    •IMPORTANT: Your bug report must be captured immediately after your device reboots. Any delay, even a few moments, may mean the reboot data could be missed by the bug report. I recommend setting up your device for capturing a bug report well in advance of a reboot -- instructions are in the link below.

For further info and instructions on submitting a bug report (including the set-up instructions) please see this page:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/request.py?contact_type=bugreport&src=7638530

Note that this page should only be used to submit reports about Nexus 10 spontaneous reboots running Android 4.2.2. Please also note that we will not be responding to individual reports, but will post updates in this forum thread.
    We cannot explain definitively why some people and devices show the soft-reboot issue and some don't, but we do have some theories:

• Heavy usage of Location Services and the apps that depend on this causes the issue to happen more readily
    • Poor or no GPS signal strength causes the issue to happen more often
    • Poor or flaky WiFi connectivity causes the issue to happen faster
    • Frequent use of Chrome makes the issue more likely to happen
    • Not having reboot/crash tracking logging means you won't catch every reboot

The last item on the list is why we load Catlog (for root only on JB devices) and Bootlog Uptime (no root required) on every device we test with immediately after getting it:

Catlog -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat
    Bootlog Uptime -- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.mumu21.bootlog

Between these two apps, neither of which we make, we can find out fairly quickly if a device is stable, crashing or behaving in a bad way. Without these apps, however, it is just a guessing game, since no one can watch a device 24/7 or when the screen is off.

As a matter of personal opinion, and from more than a decade of building, managing and shipping products (hardware and software), I don't believe in luck as an acceptable reason for why one device behaves well while another device responds badly. It almost always comes down to how the device is configured and how the customer is using it that determines stability or not. I am by no means an expert, but when looking into problems I prefer looking at instrumented and logged data versus customer observations as the data tends to be more reliable.

It is great that you haven't experienced the soft-reboot issue on your Nexus 4, but lets not discount the hundreds of customers who have already reported this behavior on their N4's, as well as the N10's, GalNexus's and other devices since upgrading to 4.2.x. And to feedback on another post 'solution' above: we reflashed our Nexus 10 with CM 10.1 and, surprise-surprise, the soft-reboots are still there, at least with Chrome usage, as we would expect while running the same base kernel, same WiFi and GPS radio code, and same core Google libraries.

I apologize in advance if this post comes of as curt or condescending, as that is not my intention. Instead, I'm trying to pass along some of my methodologies and experience from working in the semiconductor and software worlds while asking that we all try to gather data that will help Google fix the issue.
    No need to return the tablet for software issues.... Updates will come quick. That's a Nexus!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
    Not sure if this will help any of you but I'll share my experience.

I never got any reboots on my Nexus 10 but I didn't have Chrome installed so I thought that might be why. One day I installed flash and went through a hand full of browsers to see which supported flash. To my surprise none did so I uninstalled the browsers and settled with AOSP browser and Ocean browser as they were the smoothest.

Soon I experienced my first reboot. I never thought much of it I just thought my luck ran out. I did wonder why AOSP browser didn't work with flash though. I was reading one day and found that the version of flash I had may not work with 4.2.1 so I uninstalled it and installed the one ending in.27. To my surprise AOSP browser started working with flash but so did Ocean. I then started to get mad freezes and reboots.

My Nexus would freeze for a couple seconds then reboot at any time I was using it. I did a couple factory resets and restores and the problem always came back. One day I started over and was selective about what I restored and when I didn't restore nor install flash - no more reboots. I'm now on CM 10.1 with 4.2.2 base and no reboots so far so for me flash was the culprit.

TL;DR - Uninstall flash, clear cache and Dalvik and see if you still have reboots or at least less reboots.