• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

My phones not waterproof

Search This thread

INFRNL

Nov 12, 2012
I'm not sure what the insides of these look like but seems that they need another layer of protection on these.

Does the main board and components have any coating on them like Motorola does to their phones?

handasan10

Apr 16, 2008
Kota Bharu
There's the function of 2 copper on the middle left side of the phone, it's for magnetic charger. So you don't always have to open your flap to charge it resulting the rubber to last longer. Even after a year my previous Z1C still waterproof.. Phone with water damage is fixable as long as you dry it quickly with rice..

ananthvinay

Jun 25, 2015
Worst Experience with SONY : Foolish owner of SONY Z3 Compact - it did not turn wate

Summary:

Foolish owner of SONY Z3 Compact - it did not turn waterproof anytime I used

Not sure if posting here will help me at all, however I am doing it.

Issue1:

First time before I could take my phone into the swimming pool I had dipped it in a bucket of water to see if water resistance works. The phone's camera , gps etc stopped working.

The service center person said the liquid indicators are 'red' without actually being red. Then I escalated about this to sony customer care that I do not trust this as I had closed the ports properly and dipped in the water . However I was suggested to give the phone for service and was taken under warranty.

I wrote another email to sony that I no more have confidence in this phone as water entered even after the ports were closed.

However after a delayed and long wait I received my phone after service . I got assurance from the service center that now water resistance works.

Issue 2:

I took my kids to the pool the very next day to take videos of them inside water. I had ensured that I closed the ports and also my family checked again for me. (Remember that I had taken extra caution since I had bad experience earlier with my phone (refer to issue 1))

Took few vidoes underwater and we were happy. An hour later I found that my phone was fully dead this time and indicators showing red inspite of closing the ports properly.

Guessing the service center guy would definitely not honor warranty, I wrote an email to SONY immediately asking for refund as I was fully frustrated , feeling I was fooled and cheated and royally taken for a ride with my time and money.

Not to my surprise the service center person said the warranty was void and will send me the estimate. While in the service center I had realized that both the flaps were interchanged during the first service. The service center guys said that should not be an issue as both the flaps are same.Not sure how far its correct.

I feel this is unfair to loot me this way without my mistake. I am deeply hurt with the way things went with SONY.

I do not want to use my insurance as it was not an accidental damage , its product flaw and poor built and non-water resistant product.

I want SONY to solve my issue as its not my mistake at all , I am in full conscious with my whole experience in the pool that day.

I am not hopeful of SONY anymore until you resolve this issue .
Embarrassing experience for choosing SONY, time spent and disgusting experience of visiting service center from the time I bought this phone.
Yesterday I collected my phone from service center without getting repaired , as I was told that I have to pay for the service , that too huge money!. Customer care manager was of no help, he kept saying it was an L4 technician check...don't know what that means...all I know is the phone is dead inspite of ports being closed.

This experience makes me feel those days have gone where SONY had good products and service.

I am not new to SONY , I have used SONY W810i, SONY P1i, Xperia previous Android Series, SONY C3 Dual, Z1` and now Z3 compact. This should say enough that I am not new to SONY and not very new to waterproof phones. I cannot afford not to close ports after all the earlier experience with service center.

Hoping someone can help me ..

My work order number for reference.
W115061205659

[hfm]

Aug 21, 2009
NYC
I don't think I would ever purposefully submerge my phone, but it's theoretically supposed to work

**** In compliance with IP65 and IP68, the Xperia Z3 Compact is protected against the ingress of dust and is waterproof. Provided that all ports and covers are firmly closed, the phone is (i) dust tight and (ii) protected against low-pressure jets of water from all practicable directions in compliance with IP65; and/or (iii) can be kept under 1.5 m of fresh water for up to 30 minutes in compliance with IP68.

Now I don't know if chlorinated pool water is the same as fresh water, but still.

Last edited:

MeanBoss

Oct 18, 2012
i have to write something too...i tought this could happen only in croatia..but it seems im wrong!

6 months ago,one month after i bought Z3 i noticed that the touch was unresponsive in the area around the magnetic charger port...i sent it to sony official service,where they change the whole front panel.

A couple day after i recieved my phone i notice the condesation in the part of the camera lens...every time the phone changes temperature the condesation would appear...i opened the flaps...it would disappear...that happened a couple of times... last time when happened...the phone went black! I sent it to service one more time ...they checked it and the motherboard was dead.-..they say that it was dead because of the influence of water/condesation... and my waranty is void...i complained to Sony Croatia...and Agram MMM official sony service center...but they say that the phone is still water proof and that i made a mistake of putting it in water with flaps open!

that would all be nice...if that happened...but it didint,the white water stripe is still white...the phone didint see water not even close,but the waranty is void...and now im without my phone,which btw. i have to pay for 16months more! :/

great move from sony ... :(

AlvinZahran98

May 15, 2012
Jakarta
i have to write something too...i tought this could happen only in croatia..but it seems im wrong!

6 months ago,one month after i bought Z3 i noticed that the touch was unresponsive in the area around the magnetic charger port...i sent it to sony official service,where they change the whole front panel.

A couple day after i recieved my phone i notice the condesation in the part of the camera lens...every time the phone changes temperature the condesation would appear...i opened the flaps...it would disappear...that happened a couple of times... last time when happened...the phone went black! I sent it to service one more time ...they checked it and the motherboard was dead.-..they say that it was dead because of the influence of water/condesation... and my waranty is void...i complained to Sony Croatia...and Agram MMM official sony service center...but they say that the phone is still water proof and that i made a mistake of putting it in water with flaps open!

that would all be nice...if that happened...but it didint,the white water stripe is still white...the phone didint see water not even close,but the waranty is void...and now im without my phone,which btw. i have to pay for 16months more! :/

great move from sony ... :(

They could see the water indicator is stoll white, right? Sony service centre and aftersales always like that. I have a bunch of swear words in my head now for their service centre and after sales. You should complain more or just sue them if you can.

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app

ntzntz

May 4, 2012
Hi. I have read this thread after of course i have tried my phone in the pool ... i had the phone no more than 3-4 days before i put it to the test !
In the past i owned an Z1 and i used the phone even at the sea side in that water with sand and strange things in the water. And nothing wrong with it ! But now i purchased the Z3C ... and now the story is that the phone even with the test specified here with pressure test .. everything is fine.. and it`s working well.. but still my phone .. got crazy after some pictures in the pool! Both glass from camera got cloudy! Camera stopped working ! Then the touchscreen stop working ! After the check up .. closely i have opened both flaps to see if i got water in the phone and i found some drops on the tray of the sim! .. After some time .. and fresh air .. with the flaps opened.. the phone fully recovered! But now the question is .. this i go with the phone ? or not!
Z1 got no such problem not in water no after ! but this Z3C had already!

rdosti

Mar 27, 2008
Ahmedabad
www.k.care
It seems you have voided your phone's warranty by taking photos underwater and taking the phone "completely" under water. Also none of the Z phones are meant for under water shooting either videos or photos.

The IP rating of your device was achieved in laboratory conditions in standby mode, so you should not use the device underwater, such as taking pictures. Do not use the device to take photos while performing any type of activity underwater, including diving or snorkeling.

Drying times will vary depending on the environment, but the process may take up to three hours. During this time, you can still use all the features that do not rely on the speaker or microphone – you can take photos, check your email or send text messages without a worry.

Do not use a hair dryer to dry any wet parts.

http://support.sonymobile.com/in/dm/waterproof/

WaterProofApp

Aug 12, 2015
There's an app for that

Hi guys,

I saw this thread about testing if a phone is waterproofed without submerging it in the water.

Check out this app that we just lunched. It's still under development and new features will be available soon.
Search for com.technoloid.barometer or Waterproof (the icon with phone in hand) in Google Play

Kind regards,
Vali Draganescu from Thechnoloid

rdosti

Mar 27, 2008
Ahmedabad
www.k.care
Hi guys,

I saw this thread about testing if a phone is waterproofed without submerging it in the water.

Check out this app that we just lunched. It's still under development and new features will be available soon.
Search for com.technoloid.barometer or Waterproof (the icon with phone in hand) in Google Play

Kind regards,

Please note the app will not bring back or extend your warranty ;) Be careful when using any app for underwater camera footage or other.

furtunos

Feb 18, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 5
Xiaomi Mi 9
Hi guys,

Kind regards,
On Google Play it say that the device (Z 3 compact) is not compatible with this app.

Mr.Tom_Tom

Feb 16, 2008
Munich
On Google Play it say that the device (Z 3 compact) is not compatible with this app.

You could also try this app. Just set the "Pressure Drop Factor" to "10000" for the Z3c, this works in my case.

However, as stated above already, please remember that none of the apps or test methods will give a guarantee that your phone will not take any damage from exposing it to water.

astrosp4c3

May 28, 2012
Moon
Hey there,

I have checked the water damage indicator of my Z3 Compact and i noticed it became pink/red (For me tends to pink). Now, i haven't any issue so far , i've never put it underwater, washed it only a few times , without issues of course. I also tried with the pressure test, and it works as it's supposed to be but i wonder why the indicator is pink. I never open the flap where the indicator is, so it's really strange.
Any idea guys? Shall i ask a replacement or continue using it ?

PS: I can't find the other indicator, where is it?

Last edited:

Mr.Tom_Tom

Feb 16, 2008
Munich
I have checked the water damage indicator of my Z3 Compact and i noticed it became pink/red (For me tends to pink). Now, i haven't any issue so far , i've never put it underwater, washed it only a few times , without issues of course. I also tried with the pressure test, and it works as it's supposed to be but i wonder why the indicator is pink. I never open the flap where the indicator is, so it's really strange.

I think the pressure vents built into the phone are not able to withhold every bit of water. They are good for liquid water, but they are somewhat permeable for vaporized water. This is by the way a required feature, because you want moisture within the phone to be transported to the outside.

I assume, if you e.g. take your phone into a hot shower cabin (not under water, but just into the humid environment, you will likely trip your moisture indicator.

astrosp4c3

May 28, 2012
Moon
Yeah @Mr.Tom_Tom
After the post i did a research and found out that the pink color is triggered by moisture. Phone is still waterproof though, i haven't checked that indicator since months and during last weeks i washed the phone without problems.
I hope to never have to do with warranty as they would probably bother for the indicator.

-Zteam-

Oct 9, 2014
It's strange. Send it back where you bought it?

PS: you can test waterproofing WITHOUT water:

1) close the flaps
2) dial *#*#7378423#*#* (7378423 = SERVICE)
3) service tests/pressure sensor
4) press on the screen with your finger, pressure will rise
5) open a flap, press, pressure does not rise

So I tried this myself, but my sensor is jumping up and down the whole time, I uploaded a screen recording video from my test here:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2yltft1>&s=8#.VfXSE9-v7CI

Can somebody please have a look at it for me, and tell me if my phone is waterproof or not, thanks :)

Mr.Tom_Tom

Feb 16, 2008
Munich
Can somebody please have a look at it for me, and tell me if my phone is waterproof or not, thanks :)

Use this app, then:
  1. go to settings, "Pressure drop factor", and set it for your device
  2. go to "detailed view" and swipe the slider
... and if you are still not sure, post a short vid or screenshot here. It should roughly look like this:

Attachments

• curve1.png
    curve1.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: -Zteam-

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I got my phone wet last week not thinking anything of it since the phone is supposed to be waterproof. Next thing I know the screen turned black but everything else worked fine. I inspected the phone to find water got into the camera lens so I let it air dry overnight. The next day It worked so i tried to do a test to see if the phone is waterproof. I got two small pieces of tissue paper and put them under the flaps and place the phone in about 4 inches of water for maybe 30 seconds. I pulled the phone out and dried it off let it sit for a minute then opened the covers to find water got into the phone again. I repeated this test again the next day to make sure it wasn't a fluke and the same thing happened. I then did the same thing without the 2 peices of paper to make sure the paper wasn't keeping the covers open and water got in my phone again and the screen temporarily stopped working again. I chatted with someone online to see if I could send the phone in to get it fixed and they told me it would take 14 business days and I had to call sony to get that set up. So today I just got off the phone with them and they said that they couldn't do anything because "theres nothing wrong with my phone" Even though I explained that it wasn't waterproof and that it was defective. She also said something about not being able to fix it because its not from the U.S but didn't say anything about that after I brought up sending it to a place where they can fix it.
    Has anyone gone through this with a different sony phone and can help me to figure out what I need to do to get a replacement or am I screwed?
    It's strange. Send it back where you bought it?

PS: you can test waterproofing WITHOUT water:

1) close the flaps
    2) dial *#*#7378423#*#* (7378423 = SERVICE)
    3) service tests/pressure sensor
    4) press on the screen with your finger, pressure will rise
    5) open a flap, press, pressure does not rise
    This is not exactly what i mean

Whats about the following:

while touching there is a Change from 468 to 470 milibar but right after that Change and WHILE pressing it went back to 468 - is that ok?

Yes it is. The phone is waterproof, not hermetic the seals will put some resistance to the increasing pressure but the air, being smaller molecules than water, will manage to escape and the pressure will normalize.
    For some strange reason my display/digitizer doesn´t work anymore. Display itself is functional, but the touch doesn´t work. This happened suddenly last friday, followed by random events when the display went black etc. After that, I placed the phone in rice. Now the power button isn´t functioning, instead, the volume rocker seems to work as power button / volume down button..

I suspect that all this might result from experimenting with water, just washed it a couple of times with normal water and I´m 100% sure that the flaps were closed. In addition to this, there´s a little flex on my display, could it be so that the water has entered the phone through it? I´m now worried that the warranty does not cover the repair and just want to ask from you that is there a seperate LDI indicator in the sim tray as well? I checked and the LDI indicator in the charger/microsd flap was still white, but from the sim flap hole I noticed a small pink sticker.

What do you think and how would you proceed with this? Would not want to bleach the little sticker but thinking of it since I´m certain that the flap was sealed and don´t want to have a 500€ paperweight on my table.

Have you tried what difto posted, waterproof test using pressure sensors?

You can test waterproofing WITHOUT water:

1. Dial *#*#7378423#*#* (7378423 spells SERVICE)

2. Go to: service tests > pressure sensor.

3. Open the phone's flaps, and press the screen with you finger. The pressure won't rise because air is escaping through the open flaps

4. Close the flaps and press the phone again. If the pressure rises this time: Test passed. If nothing changes: Test failed, do not submerge in water and send it in for warranty, as it won't pass a real waterproof test.

PS: The inside pressure should rise a couple of millibar and then come back down. This is normal.
    Wow that's awesome! Never knew this.

So tried it on mine, and I can safely say the pressure rises. Got the following values:

no touch @ idle: 989 millibar
    1 finger regular touch 990 millibar.
    4 fingers : 993 millibar (pressed hard enough not to feel flex in the screen)

Is that healthy? What values are you all getting?

Mine idles atm at: 1010,80.
    1 finger regular touch: 1011,XX.
    4 fingers: 1013,XX.
    This is not exactly what i mean

Whats about the following:

while touching there is a Change from 468 to 470 milibar but right after that Change and WHILE pressing it went back to 468 - is that ok?

Now that my Z3C arrived, I tried the Pressure Test, and yes, it is behaving similar to what you were explaining. Sorry I misunderstood.

So mine are as follow with closed flaps:
    Idle: 999
    Touch: 1001 then quite quickly goes down to 999
    Release: 997 then quite quickly back to 999

With a flap slightly opened: stays at 999 on all 3 states.

Everyone else getting that dynamic reading upon Touch and Release?