• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

My take on the Z1 weak spots.

Search This thread

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
#1: Camera. I expected a good camera producing decent shots under most conditions. What I got was a camera shooting good photos in certain settings and hands down crappy ones given some other settings. One of the biggest let downs is the poor color reproduction under low light conditions.

#2: Anti shatter film made from a soft material prone to showing tear and wear? Really, Sony? Ive had both Samsung and Apple phones with no protectors on them with minimal wear after many months use. This one month old Z1 already have several scuffs both back and front.

#3: Proximity sensor bugging out; this needs to be fixed asap.

I hope #1 & #3 can be taken care of by a software update, meaning Z1 really is one of the less annoying handsets Ive ever owned.

-KJ

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2013
#1 shame but that's camera phones; i've found low-light performance to be better than i expected at least

#2 i much prefer having a film in place rather than risking my one-and-only panel to protect against scratches
i figure i'll peel the films off when the scuffs get too ugly

#3 i've had this problem too, proximity sensor application is pretty poor in the z1

hush66

Apr 6, 2010
#2: Anti shatter film made from a soft material prone to showing tear and wear? Really, Sony? Ive had both Samsung and Apple phones with no protectors on them with minimal wear after many months use. This one month old Z1 already have several scuffs both back and front.

As per its name, it's an anti-shatter film, not a screen protector (which protects against scratches and such). You can choose to apply a screen protector over the film, or remove the film altogether (and you'll get the same experience as per your Samsung and Apple phones).

This might be informative:

Furma

Aug 15, 2010
the most annoying thing is lack of developer support

coming from 2 HTC phones, sony feels like a huge let down in this regard.. certainly wont be buying another sony phone unless situation dramatically improves (which i doubt with all the bootloader problems..)

also the anti shatter film layer thing is pretty retarded on such high end phone and degrades it significantly - i now have to remove that ASF and put tempered glass protection on cause ASF is full of scratches and attracts fingerprints like magnet

never had those issues with HTC One X for which i never bought any kind of protection, just a standard pouch to insert it into - glass never got any scratches and was super easy to clean unlike Z1..

LahiruRD

Sep 3, 2010
Ad for the cleaning part, Xperia Z1 is the easiest. Just wash it & that's all. I bet that you didn't try that out !

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

Furma

Aug 15, 2010
how is washing the phone more convenient than swiping it on your clothes?

i cant wash my phone every hour while i am at work

i usually swipe my phones on my jeans when there are alot of fingerprints on it.. with Z1 it doesnt help
anyways, i already ordered Glass-M tempered glass so I will see if its any better with it..

shteren

Jul 9, 2013

coming from 2 HTC phones, sony feels like a huge let down in this regard.. certainly wont be buying another sony phone unless situation dramatically improves (which i doubt with all the bootloader problems..)

also the anti shatter film layer thing is pretty retarded on such high end phone and degrades it significantly - i now have to remove that ASF and put tempered glass protection on cause ASF is full of scratches and attracts fingerprints like magnet

never had those issues with HTC One X for which i never bought any kind of protection, just a standard pouch to insert it into - glass never got any scratches and was super easy to clean unlike Z1..

i suppose you'd rather have your phone feel premium and with a cracked screen then?

no one is forcing you to keep the ASF on, it's there for you own device sake, while sammy and apple whould prefer you breaking your screen and pay 300$ for replace. yeep, retarded sony, i whould never buy from them again!

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA

This is my concern too - I was hugely excited when this thing was announced and have been watching the developments like a hawk, but nothing doing. Coming from Nexus phones I was hoping to hop ship and get some better media/camera features but it is looking more and more like I'm going to have to stick with nexus.

Furma

Aug 15, 2010
i suppose you'd rather have your phone feel premium and with a cracked screen then?

why would my screen crack if i remove ASF? screen is made of dragontrail glass that has almost same properties as gorilla glass

the only difference is, dragontrail glass isnt shatter proof, if i understand correctly and thats why sony is using ASF on top of it

no one is forcing you to keep the ASF on, it's there for you own device sake, while sammy and apple whould prefer you breaking your screen and pay 300$ for replace. yeep, retarded sony, i whould never buy from them again!

well sony IS forcing me to keep ASF on if i want to keep my warranty..

and how are samsung and apple making their users break their screens? you can also break Z1 screen with ASF if you drop it, it just wont shatter into pieces, but it will still break if using big enough force

i had HTC Desire and HTC One X that used "ordinary" gorilla glass - NEVER had a cracked screen and i never used any protection for my screen
gorilla glass is good enough

sony is really fcking it up with this plastic over glass design which is just making it ALOT easier to scratch the screen and decreasing its sensitivity..its bull**** - paying 600-700$ for a top of the line smartphone that has plastic on both ends

your arguments are pretty much invalid

kantk20111

Feb 26, 2011
why would my screen crack if i remove ASF? screen is made of dragontrail glass that has almost same properties as gorilla glass

the only difference is, dragontrail glass isnt shatter proof, if i understand correctly and thats why sony is using ASF on top of it

I'm 51% sure that taking off the ASF doesn't void your warranty.

Furma

Aug 15, 2010
apparently it depends on the country you are from

in some countries it voids the whole phone warranty and in others it "just" voids the display warranty

either way, sony is the only manufacturer i know that puts plastic on top of hardened glass screens and its baffling.. why do that.. if dragontrail glass was so bad it needs ASF why not use gorilla glass? to save money? ok, then put it on cheaper smartphones, not top of the range ones..

arthurbrownleeiv

Apr 2, 2008
Bay Area, Kali
Throw a tempered glass protector on it and call it done.

I mean, I get the complaints, but in the grand scheme of the device? Who cares.

Also, coming from a Nexus 5, I'd rather the Sony. The stock firmware does just fine, and is actually an improvement on pure stock AOSP. (for me at least)

shteren

Jul 9, 2013

and how are samsung and apple making their users break their screens? you can also break Z1 screen with ASF if you drop it, it just wont shatter into pieces, but it will still break if using big enough force

i had HTC Desire and HTC One X that used "ordinary" gorilla glass - NEVER had a cracked screen and i never used any protection for my screen

sony is really fcking it up with this plastic over glass design which is just making it ALOT easier to scratch the screen and decreasing its sensitivity..its bull**** - paying 600-700$ for a top of the line smartphone that has plastic on both ends

who told you gorrila glass is shatter proof? most cracked phones i've seen are samsung who uses gorrila, and how said dragontail isn't shatter proof?

either way non of of those galsses are shatter proof, they are scratch proof which makes them even more prones to shattering.. thats basics material engineering... you make something harder it also becomes more fragile... the hardest metals breaks to pieces when bent,

so anyhow sony does not put the ASF there because it uses lower grade glass, it puts it there so it won't break, and didn't you see the drop test the z1 had? it didn't crack it screen after 3 drops, all other phones that phonearena dropped cracked they glass on the third fall, also the glorious note 3 with the "shatter proof" gorrilla.

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
I think most of us understand why Sony use ASF, but that still does nothing to change the fact that the Z1 gets scratches a lot faster than other brand phones using screens with no ASF.

Also the lack of oleophobic coating on the screen underneath means that you will need to buy something from a third party vendor if you want a better user experience when you remove the ASF.

I feel this is a poor choice by Sony. There might be other reasons why they chose to use the ASF, but I cannot imagine why.

-KJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
Just a quick update on the issues I brought up in this thread:

After I updated to 4.3, the camera takes much better pictures in low light conditions. It still struggles a bit to focus, but the pictures look a lot better.

Also I have not seen the proximity sensor bug out at all.

That means that #1 and #3 now are gone from the list. Add the Nilkin H+ tempered glass screen protector I bought from Ebay, and I must admit that this is pretty much the best handset I have ever owned.

-KJ

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk 4

ooohhaaahh

Jul 21, 2010
miami
mostly everything on the z (and i believe the z1) are fixable between root or xposed.
but i hate what sony did to bluetooth. does this happen on the z1?

recieve a picture or file with android beam, i have to wait a sec or 2 (sometimes long enough that beam almost or actually times out) for a confirmation message (tap to confirm incoming file)
what is up with that, nexus, samsung, htc don't screw up beams usefulness but sony did. haven't tried it in the 4.3 leak but i doubt that was dealt with. if it happens with the z1 is there any way to fix it besides an aosp rom?

who told you gorrila glass is shatter proof? most cracked phones i've seen are samsung who uses gorrila, and how said dragontail isn't shatter proof?

either way non of of those galsses are shatter proof, they are scratch proof which makes them even more prones to shattering.. thats basics material engineering... you make something harder it also becomes more fragile... the hardest metals breaks to pieces when bent,

so anyhow sony does not put the ASF there because it uses lower grade glass, it puts it there so it won't break, and didn't you see the drop test the z1 had? it didn't crack it screen after 3 drops, all other phones that phonearena dropped cracked they glass on the third fall, also the glorious note 3 with the "shatter proof" gorrilla.

thats like saying if your phone drops and hits a corner that it will crack.
a "drop test" is not 100% controlled, and a screen protector (ASF) can help reduce the chance for the screen crack by spreading the force of impact just enough to save the glass.
i got into a motorcycle accident with my nexus 4 (known for cracking easily) phone was in pocket screen out, it was in a thin micro fiber cloth in my pocket. the cloth had burn rubbed marks in it (like the fibers were gouged out) and the phone chrome trim was scratched, but nothing cracked.
dropped the phone plenty of times while recovering in bed, landing screen down on raised tile corners from ear height standing (increased pressure, likelier to crack) phone is good.
drops from thigh height while getting out of car at walmart, landed screen down on a pebble, screen cracks (salute the phone).

there are plenty of xperia z's with cracked screens from drops, and aparently bent z1's that happens mysteriously (could happen from pockets. my razr xt910 bent after a week or 2).
not to mention most drop tests have the z1 not crack, but it dies electronically. if the screen cracks atleast you can normally use it ;)

i've dropped my z lots and i peeled the ASF off, i don't see it magically cracking and i could care less about the glass splintering off if it does crack.
worried about scratches? get a screen protector. it'll more than likely not scratch as easy as the ASF and you don't have to clean residue off the phone when you finally swap it if there was no ASF, but one or two in the box in all countries and oleophobic coating on the screen, everyone wins.

nobby00900

Feb 15, 2011
Atherstone
I like having the ASF on. I have a contract now for 2 years. If the display ends up scratched to he'll I can remove the film on the front and back and good as new. Also when you come to sell your phone when you upgrade alot of people are put off by scratches. Yes I know you can use screen protectors but surely that is the same as the ASF. Either way just my opinion. If you don't like it for what ever reason you can always remove it.

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.