My TD2 has arrived!

Search This thread

derinahon

Mar 25, 2007
First impressions:

Faaast! Much smoother operation than the Diamond.

Screen is beautiful. Can render websites and read them without zooming in. It's quite recessed under the touch screen though, about 1.5-2mm. Feels a bit disconnected from the touch screen.

If anyone has any questions I'll keep an eye on the thread this evening.

image020p.jpg

yuanes

Oct 22, 2006
Monte-Carlo
Sweet! well tell us more please especially what stesa asked could you please check out if there’s vga recorder?

Have fun with your new diamond they say diamonds are a girl’s best friend but I sure do think it’s now also men’s best friend too!:cool:

derinahon

Mar 25, 2007
Hi all,

Just checked and it does do VGA video recording, the quality isn't half bad. Also a screen protector is supplied in the box.

The phone feels a lot faster than the Diamond and the new Touch Flow is a big improvement, hiding most of WinMo.

With regards to the screen, I'll try to explain... the original Diamond touch screen sits just above the actual display and there's no noticeable area in between. The Diamond 2's display sits a 1 or 2 millimeters below the touch screen, so there's a bit of a gap. It just takes a bit of getting used to. The good side is that you don't need to apply more pressure at the edges of the screen as you do with the Diamond (eg. where you had to press a bit harder to grab the scroll bar, or hit the 'X'). The overall feel of the screen is the same as the Diamond.

Just remembered... I grabbed a map for TT7. It works fine as far as loading the app. Map displays fine and got a GPS fix, but I haven't been out so don't know if there's any lag. Also I couldn't figure out how to get it into landscape, but I don't use Tom Tom so that could just be me. IGO8 also works, but I have the same version from the Diamond (VGA) so not all of the screen is used. I think this can be fixed though.

The stylus isn't magnetic :'(

Cheers.

Last edited:

toady2k1

Aug 26, 2008
hows the camera?

Speed to launch cam app?
Speed to take an photo?

Photo quality in good light and in poor light? (really miss a photo flash?)

thanks.

derinahon

Mar 25, 2007
hows the camera?

Speed to launch cam app?
Speed to take an photo?

Photo quality in good light and in poor light? (really miss a photo flash?)

thanks.

OK, the camera sucks... no not really, quality is about what you'd expect, but it's sooo quick compared to the Diamond 1. I don't really have any daylight right now, but I took a few snaps. The camera app loads in 2 seconds flat and takes the same to shoot. In comparison, 4 seconds to load on the old Diamond and 6 seconds to take a picture under the same conditions. :cool:

The speaker... I put the TD & TD2 next to each other playing the same track alternately and the TD2 is a fair bit louder and clearer. Calling the Orange lady was a treat, I could actually hear her on loud speaker. With the Diamond her voice is distorted at anything more than two thirds of the volume.

Last edited:

derinahon

Mar 25, 2007
congrats... wish i had a new phone when they come out....

do you think it's that big?

The size worried me when I was thinking about dropping £400 on one. On paper it's not much bigger, but when you get it in your hand you really notice how porky it is, if you've used a Diamond that is. However, for a smartphone it's a good size and I think the Diamond is perhaps too small considering HTC ran out of room for a decent battery and speaker! I personally think it feels good in the hand, and I really like the larger screen.

Oh and I'm not loaded or anything, but did get a bonus from work so thought I'd waste it on something I really want, but don't need! Still paying a contract for the old Diamond :eek:

jonnrb

Aug 12, 2008
The size worried me when I was thinking about dropping £400 on one. On paper it's not much bigger, but when you get it in your hand you really notice how porky it is, if you've used a Diamond that is. However, for a smartphone it's a good size and I think the Diamond is perhaps too small considering HTC ran out of room for a decent battery and speaker! I personally think it feels good in the hand, and I really like the larger screen.

Oh and I'm not loaded or anything, but did get a bonus from work so thought I'd waste it on something I really want, but don't need! Still paying a contract for the old Diamond :eek:

Wait. Is this thing dramatically thinner than the current Diamond?

derinahon

Mar 25, 2007
Wait. Is this thing dramatically thinner than the current Diamond?

No, I mean you'd notice how much larger it feels if you'd used or have the original Diamond.

Another thing, the body of the phone is a plastic mold with some kind of metalic coating. It looks fine, but doesn't feel as solid as the Diamond 1.

Last edited:

smadger

Sep 3, 2008
Bedford, UK
Battery and life without scroll wheel / nav buttons

I'm soooooo close to getting one of these, but trying work out which contract to get it free with, in length terms anyway - the new HD2 is due in September-ish and will come pre shipped with WM6.5 and have a beefier processor, (600Mhz apparently!) Do I go for a short contract then upgrade later, stick with a long contract and stick with it if it's good enough and get the handset free, or just save my cash and get the HD2?

Aaaaaanyway....

How's the battery life?

Any audio glitches like the last Diamonds' manilla playber?

Can you adjust the default level of the zoom bar in opera - eg does it zoom in far enough? Can you zoom in further than a double tap as you could with the Diamond 1's scroll wheel?

Is Flash Lite included?

How does it handle video playback?

Is the G-sensor any better? I think WM 6.5+ will use shake settings for navigation - flick right for next message etc.

As for the size, I personally find the Diamond 1 just that little too small to be able to operate one handed comfortably, so maybe I'd appreciate that, not sure.

Oh, and you lucky "£^%"£$^!!!! :)

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone