Question n20 or n200?

Search This thread

PsYk0n4uT

hello, i am faced with the decision to get the tmobile OnePlus N20 or the N200.
I am abandoning samsung after years of being disappointed by not being able tto do witthg my phone what i choose.
I want a device i can root and tinker with and modify as i please.
so im looking at these 2 phones and obviousl the n20 wins according tto tthe specs. butt i would like tto know if anyone has been able tto roott this device yet? or do yyou foresee any major obsttacles to unlocking the boottloader? i dont wantt to be stuck yet again with a device tthat i cant mod the way i want. i would like tto eventually be able to run kali or some custom roms on it. i need a device that i can mosl replace my lapttopwith. i cant afford tthe f;lagship pohone rightt now or i would go witth tthat. if anyone has an suggestions or info i would greatly appreciate it.
also i know these are supposed tto have to be sim unlocked first but i saw in anotther thread on anotherdevice i believe it was an OPO something but there was a script hat got rid of tthe services/apps that prevented unlocking the booloader while sim locked.
does anone know if the same script could be run on this device or will i have to sim unlock i?

Last edited:

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
The unlocked variant can be rooted as easily as any, as long as you get a copy of its boot image. The TMo variant (which you're after) has yet to get its bootloader unlock token.

To me, having high refresh rate is paramount, so N20 omitting that is a critical flaw. Plus, having tried GSIs on both, I felt N20 was weirdly stuttery/unresponsive for its specs.

I am abandoning samsung after years of being disappointed by not being able tto do witthg my phone what i choose.
so im looking at these 2 phones and obviousl the n20 wins according tto tthe specs. butt i would like tto know if anyone has been able tto roott this device yet? or do yyou foresee any major obsttacles to unlocking the boottloader? i dont wantt to be stuck yet again with a device tthat i cant mod the way i want. i would like tto eventually be able to run kali or some custom roms on it. i need a device that i can mosl replace my lapttopwith. i cant afford tthe f;lagship pohone rightt now or i would go witth tthat. if anyone has an suggestions or info i would greatly appreciate it.
also i know these are supposed tto have to be sim unlocked first but i saw in anotther thread on anotherdevice i believe it was an OPO something but there was a script hat got rid of tthe services/apps that prevented unlocking the booloader while sim locked.
does anone know if he same scrip could be run on his device so as no o have o wai il i sim unlock i?
Get the n20 over the n200 if the final price difference is less than $60.

The n200 is a bad device for its specs because oneplus has no interest in optimizing the OS for its low end phones with 4gb ram, because oneplus has only two devices with 4gb ram: the n100 and n200. Oneplus put an OS designed for 6gb/8gb ram with mid-high end cpus on the N200 which has only 4gb ram and lower end cpu, and as a result, the N200 performs like a Motorola phone with 2gb/3gb ram.
Similarly speced Motorola phones perform much better than oneplus.

Ironically, if you update the N200 to android 12, the system will say the phone has a snapdragon 855 cpu, while it has a low end snapdragon 480 cpu. So basically oneplus software engineers just put an OS designed for high end phones onto the low end N200 without any optimization, and even forgot to change the cpu model name.

If you buy the carrier tmo/metro version, you need to obtain unlock token bin to unlock the bootloader, and you need to sim unlock first to enable OEM unlock or you can use the disabling Qualcomm uim app trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrScrad

The n200 is a bad device for its specs because oneplus has no interest in optimizing the OS for its low end phones with 4gb ram, because oneplus has only two devices with 4gb ram: the n100 and n200. Oneplus put an OS designed for 6gb/8gb ram with mid-high end cpus on the N200 which has only 4gb ram and lower end cpu, and as a result, the N200 performs like a Motorola phone with 2gb/3gb ram.

Ironically, if you update the N200 to android 12, the system will say the phone has a snapdragon 855 cpu, while it has a low end snapdragon 480 cpu. So basically oneplus software engineers just put an OS designed for high end phones onto the low end N200 without any optimization, and even forgot to change the cpu model name.

If you buy the carrier tmo/metro version, you need to obtain unlock token bin to unlock the bootloader, and you need to sim unlock first to enable OEM unlock or you can use the disabling Qualcomm uim app trick.
Care to elaborate on what this Qualcomm uim app trick happens to be?

Reactions: jamebarron88

PsYk0n4uT

So I went with the n20. Actually seems to be a pretty decent phone other than the fact that it shipped with a 7 digit serial so I can't get an unlock token. Been back and forth with OnePlus trying to get it resolved but they always just tell me they will email a response within a few days. Their last response was to add a zero before the serial. But doing so just gives me an error that the serial/unlock code don't match. Hopefully I can get this taken care of and get the bootloader unlocked. OEM unlock was easy peasy to get with the debloat script found elsewhere in the opo threads here

eagle3489

May 25, 2008
So I went with the n20. Actually seems to be a pretty decent phone other than the fact that it shipped with a 7 digit serial so I can't get an unlock token. Been back and forth with OnePlus trying to get it resolved but they always just tell me they will email a response within a few days. Their last response was to add a zero before the serial. But doing so just gives me an error that the serial/unlock code don't match. Hopefully I can get this taken care of and get the bootloader unlocked. OEM unlock was easy peasy to get with the debloat script found elsewhere in the opo threads here
Oem unlock means sim unlock or bootloader unlock?

PsYk0n4uT

Oem unlock means sim unlock or bootloader unlock?
in short, bootloader unlock.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. It refers to the manufacturer lock on the bootloader. It is a security feature to keep you from accidentally bricking your device by tampering with the system images/files or malware from being able to modify or tamper with your system. This is why SafetyNet fails when you root and many banking apps and games check SafetyNet at the beginning of execution to make sure that your running a secure system before they allow an app to open. There are some ways to get around that by hiding root/magisk with Xposed modules(LSposed) etc... Some methods work for some apps and others dont. Make sure you have everything backed up before doing any modifications to your system because its easy to brick your device(make it unbootable/nonfunctional)

I havent found a way to SIM unlock without going through the carrier. There are services out there that claim to be able to SIM unlock your device for a fee, and many have been reviewed by other members. I have not personally ever used one. But here Im referring to unlocking the bootloader so that the system on the device can be modified (rooted, non-stock ROMs, system tweaks/mods)

ScarletWizard

Aug 31, 2022
Moto G 5G
Yeah, mine is rooted tooted and reasdy to be booted and is sitll carrier locked and not paid off..
Post your t mobile bill. Here is mine
Screenshot_2022-11-28-14-40-07-46_b0e5ca10160141625c45a297ef1f96a3.jpg

jonathandeath

Dec 20, 2022
I read your posts and decided on the N20 as well and I must say this is an AWESOME little phone. :D

It came with the stock July OS. I have read many of the posts on here but I'm sort of stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to get a copy of the original OS. Read some options saying if i couldnt get a copy I could try to make one using twrp but that went down a dead end and I am back to square one. I have enabled developer mode, debug over usb, and set the setting to allow oem unlock and I'm kind of stuck at this point. My goal is to root this thing so that I can get call recording working like my older phones. :p

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 12

ScarletWizard

Aug 31, 2022
Moto G 5G
I read your posts and decided on the N20 as well and I must say this is an AWESOME little phone. :D

It came with the stock July OS. I have read many of the posts on here but I'm sort of stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to get a copy of the original OS. Read some options saying if i couldnt get a copy I could try to make one using twrp but that went down a dead end and I am back to square one. I have enabled developer mode, debug over usb, and set the setting to allow oem unlock and I'm kind of stuck at this point. My goal is to root this thing so that I can get call recording working like my older phones. :p
How many digits is your serial number

jonathandeath

Dec 20, 2022
Thank you so much! I am downloading now.
1671637121675.png
This is the one I picked up just for reference. 8 digit serial number on this model.

jonathandeath

Dec 20, 2022
I disabled automatic updates and had the oem bootloader unlocked as well as all playstore options for updates disabled and this morning the phone updated itself without warning to the august update. It started talking about upgraded to android s and i factory reset it hoping it would roll everything back, but nope. Stuck on stupid August Update. :( I just wanted to get root back on it with call recording and lock down all android os updates.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    does anone know if he same scrip could be run on his device so as no o have o wai il i sim unlock i?

Care to elaborate on what this Qualcomm uim app trick happens to be?
    I have the n20 and was able to unlock boot loader and root with still being carrier locked.
    I have the n20 and was able to unlock boot loader and root with still being carrier locked.
    Yeah, mine is rooted tooted and reasdy to be booted and is sitll carrier locked and not paid off..
    Where do you find these zips. I haven't seen that in any repo
    Hours and hours of shospelessly searching the bowels of th einternet my good man.