• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide N200 MetroPCS/T-Mobile to OEM

Search This thread

darkghost568

Jun 29, 2012
Bethesda
A lot less of a guide than a compilation of links and steps I followed a few days ago to get this working. Can confirm everything's going smoothly without hitch. Credit to the respective authors of these threads and tools, and the helpful replies I've got from a few members of this forum. You guys are the real ones.
  • First, and perhaps most importantly, I can confirm that the N200 T-Mobile MSM tool DOES work on the MetroPCS variant (which I own) and WILL save you from a hard brick if anything goes horribly WRONG. Just boot to EDL by holding both volume up and down and run the MSM tool from Windows, and let it work its magic.
  • Run the debloater script linked here to gain access to the OEM unlock slider in developer options.
  • Enable ADB Debugging and `adb reboot bootloader` and follow the steps on the Oneplus site to unlock your bootloader (took me exactly one week for them to email me the unlock key).​
    • I had a lot of trouble getting the posted version of TWRP to mount partitions, wipe, or flash ROMs properly, so:
  • Follow this guide over on the OP8T forum (thanks to @Ethanvio for pointing this my way) to extract the partition images from the latest N200 OxygenOS OTA and flash them manually in fastbootd (`adb reboot fastboot`). I ran into the `product.img FAILED (remote: 'Not enough space to resize partition')` error, so I also had to do the part in the spoiler. Some things of note are to remember to flash the vendor_boot partition as well (present for the N200 but not OP8T), and you can also include the flag `--disable-verity` when flashing the vbmeta & vbmeta_system images if you'd like it disabled.
  • For root, download Magisk Manager, patch the boot.img, then flash it via fastboot. You can have Magisk persist after OTA by first installing the update through system updates, then before rebooting, opening Magisk Manager and selecting "Install to Inactive Slot (After OTA)" - reboot via Magisk after this completes.

As I understand it, you can call up T-Mobile request a PIN unlock, so this shouldn't affect your ability to carrier unlock (and the carrier unlock button in the OxygenOS settings suggests this as well), despite this process removing the unlocker app from your phone. Maybe someone can correct me in the comments if I'm way off on this lol.

Posting this mostly for myself to remember the steps, but maybe someone else will find it helpful as well.

Last edited:

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
No matter what I do, I can't get the debloat script to allow to unlock the bootloader.

I have 3 DE2118 - I've tried it on all of them. I've also flashed them using MSM tool to enure the software is fresh.

Any suggestions on what or how I could be using the debloater script wrong? This is what I'm doing:

1) Flashing phones with MSM tool
2) Developer Tools > OFF automatic updates
3) Run debloater script - it says 'successful" for most of them
4) Restarting phone

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
No matter what I do, I can't get the debloat script to allow to unlock the bootloader.

I have 3 DE2118 - I've tried it on all of them. I've also flashed them using MSM tool to enure the software is fresh.

Any suggestions on what or how I could be using the debloater script wrong? This is what I'm doing:

4) Restarting phone

I found the solution. Maybe this will help somebody else:

3) You will noticed that phone will say (a) "OEM Unlocking - Connect to the internet or contact your carrier" it will NOT say (b) "OEM Unlocking - Allow the bootloader to be unlocked" and greyed out. If it says (a) as I think it always will after the MSM tool, you need to insert a TMO SIM, let it connect to the network, and restart.
4) Restarting phone
5) Now it will say "OEM Unlocking - Allow the bootloader to be unlocked" and not be greyed out, thanks to the debloater.

Last edited:

oCAPTCHA

Sep 22, 2021
Something that is not well known, is that the OEM unlocking toggle is grayed out with that "OEM Unlocking - Connect to the internet or contact your carrier" message until you have allowed google play services to run with internet access. I suspect it submits and checks hardware ID's against a blacklist before Google sends a response whether to allow the device to allow OEM unlocking. For the unlocked version, this was all that was required. For the T-mobile / Metro versions, you have the extra SIM unlock software restriction steps afterwards.

Last edited:

jilebi

Dec 22, 2011
Something that is not well known, is that the OEM unlocking toggle is greyed out until you have allowed google play services to run with internet access. I suspect it submits and check the hardware ID's against a blacklist before they send a response to allow the device to be OEM unlocked.

You are correct. That is not well known, that one needs internet access before it can be ungreyed. Thanks for sharing.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Something that is not well known, is that the OEM unlocking toggle is grayed out with that "OEM Unlocking - Connect to the internet or contact your carrier" message until you have allowed google play services to run with internet access. I suspect it submits and checks hardware ID's against a blacklist before Google sends a response whether to allow the device to allow OEM unlocking. For the unlocked version, this was all that was required. For the T-mobile / Metro versions, you have the extra SIM unlock software restriction steps afterwards.

4) Restarting phone

I found the solution. Maybe this will help somebody else:

3) You will noticed that phone will say (a) "OEM Unlocking - Connect to the internet or contact your carrier" it will NOT say (b) "OEM Unlocking - Allow the bootloader to be unlocked" and greyed out. If it says (a) as I think it always will after the MSM tool, you need to insert a TMO SIM, let it connect to the network, and restart.
    4) Restarting phone
    5) Now it will say "OEM Unlocking - Allow the bootloader to be unlocked" and not be greyed out, thanks to the debloater.