• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

N26 Banking App on Google-free Custom ROMs (unlocked, microG, etc.)

Search This thread

ChriMo

Oct 13, 2014
I usually prefer the cleanest Custom ROMs with signature spoofing since I use GCam and occasionally Google Photos, so I have microG installed. Usually I do not need to fiddle with microG, UnifiedNlp, etc. because I have no demanding Apps that need that. I do not use/need rooted or Magisk, so I have no experience with them and would like to avoid them.
Now however I would like to open a N26 account which only works trough an App and had hope because 3 months ago MicroG v0.2.16.204713 seems to have worked with N26 app v3.55.
But I'm struggling.
My System: Xiaomi RN7, crDroid 6.3 (Android 10), microG Services Core 0.2.17.204714 (all self check work except Phonesky and Battery optimization, no Google Account connected).
The N26 App v 3.60.2021115000 allows to setup account, verify e-mail, select account type, bind smartphone (with SMS verification).
But then at the end of the identity verification (taking pics of ID-docs and a selfie) the app ask for access to the geolocation and this fails with an error message (translated by me) "To use N26 the Google-Play-Services are necessary, which are not supported by your device"
I tried to verify the installed Location modules (GSM Location Service, Mozilla Location Service) which seem ok (have no experience) and then looked into UnifiedNlp Settings: in the Self Check the registration to the system (system did not bind the UnifiedNlp service) and the Network-based location are not enabled and I was not able to change that. However I'm not sure if the N26 App complains about that or a more basic Google Service feature?

Has someone a similar configuration running? Maybe downgrading the N26 App is of help for a limited time? Or other advises what to try?

ChriMo

Oct 13, 2014
I gave up on registering with N26 and are now evaluating two other online banking/card solutions, for which the App runs on crDroid or even a Desktop Browser solution is available.