[N2E][1.0][1.0.1] TouchNooter 1.6.24

Search This thread

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Touchnooter with market may be dead in the water, but I bet a lot of folks would love to see a TN release that just gave the Superuser and ADB wireless with a warning that that was all it was, and that it was for folks who'd installed 1.1 and still wnated root privs for their old apps or were ready to sideload.

As I said a bit back, the market worked for me maybe once out of the 20-30 times i tried various things to install it.

So I learned adb install and was very happy. :)

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Touchnooter with market may be dead in the water, but I bet a lot of folks would love to see a TN release that just gave the Superuser and ADB wireless with a warning that that was all it was, and that it was for folks who'd installed 1.1 and still wnated root privs for their old apps or were ready to sideload.

As I said a bit back, the market worked for me maybe once out of the 20-30 times i tried various things to install it.

So I learned adb install and was very happy. :)

I tried modifying something like nookRestore for what I want, but it refused to do anything with the sdcard, and if I tossed everything in uRamdisk it still boot looped.

I suppose I'll slap together a version that just gives adb/su root and toss in a few things like Nook Color Tools, and the /data/apps since those won't cause boot loops.

trypt

May 4, 2010
So the instructions worked pretty well. I had to restart the 1st time as it hung while loading on the B&N screen (after the rooted forever message).

My Gmail doesn't actually sync, is it suppose to? Also I can't search in the market, managed to install the Kindle app since it's at the top of the list when you browse.

Also when I try and format my SD card on my computer the only option is 74MB now. I can't seem to get it back to 2GB after installing this img on it.

italiano1964

Dec 1, 2010
Also when I try and format my SD card on my computer the only option is 74MB now. I can't seem to get it back to 2GB after installing this img on it.

With the nook already turned on, put micro sd card back into it and format the card using the function available under settings/device info/SD card/unmount SD card/format SD card

Last edited:

kohkohnut

Jul 3, 2011
I tried modifying something like nookRestore for what I want, but it refused to do anything with the sdcard, and if I tossed everything in uRamdisk it still boot looped.

I suppose I'll slap together a version that just gives adb/su root and toss in a few things like Nook Color Tools, and the /data/apps since those won't cause boot loops.
Hi

May I humbly suugest that you add in a basic file manager in the new version to facilitate side loading of apps using APKs for people like me who are not adept at adb. Many thanks.

yves84_2000

Dec 16, 2007
ouagadougou
Cannot use touch nooter with winimage

I can't restore a disk with the file I downloaded Toochnooter 1.6.24 ? Someone could help me ?
I follow all the process.
Thanks

drjekyll

Oct 1, 2007
Securing the device

I apologize if I've missed this question on the thread or elsewhere. :eek:

How do I secure, perhaps with a password, the Android "side" of the device?
And the SD card?

If I accidentally leave the device somewhere in public -- as I did a couple of weeks ago, at a bank where a teller noticed and stored it safely until I returned -- the "good stuff" in the Android image, such as email, maybe some passwords, could be captured with trivial effort, correct?

Perhaps it's a two-part solution, one for password security upon accessing the Android image, and the other encryption for the user contents of the SD card?

Best regards,

Googie2149

Jan 6, 2012
I apologize if I've missed this question on the thread or elsewhere. :eek:

How do I secure, perhaps with a password, the Android "side" of the device?
And the SD card?

If I accidentally leave the device somewhere in public -- as I did a couple of weeks ago, at a bank where a teller noticed and stored it safely until I returned -- the "good stuff" in the Android image, such as email, maybe some passwords, could be captured with trivial effort, correct?

Perhaps it's a two-part solution, one for password security upon accessing the Android image, and the other encryption for the user contents of the SD card?

Best regards,

I don't know about encryption, but you can use GO Locker to put a pass code on your Nook.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will officially not work for 1.1

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs Busybox
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs Go Launcher
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • June 24, 2011 -
        • Removed: Multitouch Permission
        • Added: Modified framework.jar
      • June 22, 2011 - Fixed: Script not running at boot.
      • June 20, 2011 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Do NOT use the Nook Simple Touch.
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download TouchNooter from here: touchnooter-1-6-24.zip
      2. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=touchnooter-1-6-24.img of=/dev/sdcard
      3. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      4. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
      5. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      6. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      7. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      8. You should see the screen "Rooted Forever".
      9. It will boot like normal and you should be asked to select a launcher now. (If not use Button Savior to go home. This will bring up the launcher chooser.)
      10. That was the hard part, now to the simple stuff.
      11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from Go Launcher's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from "Extras".
      18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      19. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
      20. If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.
      21. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      22. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      23. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • Arnold Snarb - modified framework.jar
      • nemith - helping me figure out getting it to run at boot.
      • JesusFreke - For getting root.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • Currently Working On: TouchNooter 1.11.x
    Hey Friends !
    Thanks a million Gabriel for such a wonderful Root. Going through this entire thread I've noticed that most noobs like me are having lots of issues to get this working. I think I've found a relatively simple way of getting the root and everything else to work. I am listing out some pointers below, I know most of you'll don't need this but this is just my 2 cents worth of contribution to the community.

I am adding these pointers here so that people who have no clue what ADB is, can still use this wonderful root in a simple and easy to use manner.

1. I am using my Nook in India and have registered it from here. The credit card details are required only if you plan to use the B&N store. Without entering credit card details, the nook registers just fine and u can read side loaded books.

2. After you've registered your nook, This is very important please don't avoid this. please make a backup of the original ROM,the instructions are given here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142983

Making this backup will help you if something goes amiss during this procedure and you can start with a fresh OS all over again. (It sure did help me)

3. After Backing up the original ROM, you can start the rooting procedure. U can follow the instructions provided on page 1, or follow the video tutorial on this page:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-touch-root.html

4. I suggest you dont change any apks in the TouchNooter image burnt on your SD card besides the gmail.apk with the one provided on the pack on this page:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1132693&page=8

This gets your gmail app working perfectly.

5. During rooting, after u see the 'rooted forever' screen, the nook seems to hang on loading screen with five dots for very long. I suggest you wait for 10 mins and if it has still not progressed further, restart your nook. That should fix it.

6.After you have successfully rooted your device, you will notice that the market app is not searchable. You can solve this by downloading any filemanager from the market,
    Astrofile comes up easily in the productivity section.

7. Now download the 'vending.apk' new market app from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=992242

copy this file to the root of your sd card. Then using astrofile, upgrade your current market install. That should get the market app working and searchable.

8. The following applications are working perfectly fine for me,
    DocumentstoGo
    Aldiko
    Opera Mobile
    Juice Defender Ultimate.

9. Dont change the default wallpaper of the root as getting a new one to scale properly is quite difficult with the launchers. Also there is no way to revert back to the default wallpaper.

10. I am using a set of Black and white icons so that the screen looks beautiful.

11. Using Juice defender in extreme profile, my battery has reduced from a full charge to 89% in 3 days. So the battery life seems pretty good.

Hope you find my post useful.

Thanks once again to all the active member in this thread to help me maximize the usage of such an awesome gadget.
    Seems there's something else wrong with TouchNooter besides the framework, I'm going to have to rebuild it from the ground up for 1.1 It seems even without framework.jar somethings corrupting system so it won't boot.

Some bad news, it appears that there may be some sort of signature based protection on files in /system. I'm not sure how to confirm this, but it seems if I replace framework.jar it boot loops, if I modify build.prop without replacing framework.jar it also boot loops. If someone could verify this maybe with noogie? I can add files to /system/ but any modifications to an existing /system/ file causes a boot loop from what I can tell.
    However we still need a modded framework.jar so that it can be used in an updated version of TouchNooter.
    Patch information for framework.jar: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=955847

Hi,
    I patched the framework.jar, but had no time to test it. Hope it works.

/edit: Tried it, and it works for me.
    br
    Recovery.

Turn off.
    Push power button and hold, then press and hold bottom left and right page buttons for 5 seconds.

Image posted in this thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14940686&postcount=40