[N2E] Nook 2nd Edition Touch - Root

Search This thread

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
The Nook 2nd Edition (E-Ink) "Touch" has been rooted by JesusFreke:

see http://nookdevs.com/NookTouch_Rooting

Old:
Nook 2nd Edition (E-Ink) Root (WIP):

Received a Nook 2nd Edition in the mail yesterday,after signing in, and reading a few pages of a book, decided to try and explore the device for a way to get root. I would like to load the Kindle app and use the built-in browser (hidden from the UI however does appear when needed for Authentication to Google).

I tried the NC barebones nooter image, which contains the TI-Xloader and uboot code on an SD card. This caused the nook to lockup. This is partially good news as it does appear to load the Image from the SD Card at least in much the same way the NC does. As suspected the drivers are quite a bit different from the NC though which is probably why it fails to get to RNDIS.

I also did an exhaustive TCP / UDP port scan 1-65532 which yielded nothing.

To "reset" the N2E after locking up:
- Hold the power button down for 20 secs
- Press power button again
- Plug USB into computer or wall charger

Im going to do a wireshark of the bootup and see if there is anything of interest there as well and post back.

It would be nice to get a rom dump of this thing or an update file. Without either of those this is going to be difficult for me to get much farther.

Last edited:

etique57

Sep 19, 2010
Great, totally supporting you in the process !

Would love a real e-Ink Android tablet :)

How does it look so far? Is it a good piece of hardware ?

pokey9000

Apr 17, 2007
Austin
Nook 2nd Edition (E-Ink) Root (WIP):

I tried the NC barebones nooter image, which contains the TI-Xloader and uboot code on an SD card. This caused the nook to lockup. This is partially good news as it does appear to load the Image from the SD Card at least in much the same way the NC does. As suspected the drivers are quite a bit different from the NC though which is probably why it fails to get to RNDIS.

Most likely the memory configuration differs from the NC enough that x-loader doesn't get very far. If someone can do a teardown we can get some clues, as well as see if the PMIC is the same/similar to the one in the NC so that we could turn on the serial over the USB port for early debug. Or wait for BN to release source.

actorman46

Mar 5, 2011
Ann Arbor
I would get one if rooted. It would be great to have a device that could do simple internet functions with 3 weeks battery.

Sent from my NookColor

Gin1212

Jan 26, 2011
If this happens, I will totally be buying a Nook 2nd in fall =D. Good luck!

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
Yes, any general comments/impressions on the N2E would be of interest, thanks !

Ophbalance

Jul 12, 2008
Oh my... I have no reason, at all to justify getting one of these. But man, do I want one.

angomy

May 4, 2011
Nookdevs promises details soon:

"Congratulations to JesusFreke for rooting the nook touch. Details coming soon."
http://nookdevs.com/MediaWiki:Sitenotice

Edit: Curses! :p Deeperblue and Nburnes beat me to the punch -- didn't see the previous link because of a broken tag in deeperblue's post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22BB8VPI5o&feature=player_embedded

This is really tempting now since I'd love a rooted e-reader that I can do some minor tablet things with (and reserve NC for movies, games, etc) and dedicated mostly to reading, but .. but.. Amazon's kal-el tablet.. I suppose having too many choices is better than none. :D

Last edited:

nemith

Jun 20, 2010
I just ordered mine and it's on the way.

Anyone have a system dump (can dd if=/dev/block/mmcblkp0 of=/sdcard/dump.img)? I want to poke around and see if I can get CWM on it when it delivered.

richdaley

Jun 3, 2010
Oh my... I have no reason, at all to justify getting one of these. But man, do I want one.

Get one for your spouse or significant other and justify it by saying you could share Nook books and be Nook friends. That is what I did! If not just get one. You can sell it on ebay later.

My wife loves it so far. I think B&N hit a home run by making it as simple as possible rather than try to push it as a tablet alternative. It is so light and thin that I worry about tossing it in the dishwasher thinking it is a dish or something. :D

She has a lot of epub books that she used calibre to format and sync with it.

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
Nook with an identity Crisis! Got Kindle on the Nook ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20110610_155658.jpg
    IMG_20110610_155658.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,102

stelph

Sep 14, 2006

Awesome, congrats! How does it run? Any bugs? If you can it would be great if you could get a video up of it running, I could see it getting even more popular than the precious rooted nook running angry birds as having the kindle app is the no.1 reason people would want to root their nook!

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Wonderful! FBReader on my new nook, can't wait :)

BTW, how long until a Nook Simple Touch forum?

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
Awesome, congrats! How does it run? Any bugs? If you can it would be great if you could get a video up of it running, I could see it getting even more popular than the precious rooted nook running angry birds as having the kindle app is the no.1 reason people would want to root their nook!

Kindle on the Nook Video (Sorry about the low video quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4MJungKIxY

The excessive flicker during page turn is due to the cheesy animation trying to render the sliding page. Looking to see how to turn that off.

** Wish we had a Nook Touch sub-forum. Have a few more tidbits to share **

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Threw this together to showcase all that we've got going on here over on the XDA forums.

Credits been given where credit is due.
    Probably won't be too entertaining for anyone who has already rooted their nook. ;)

You can find my wallpaper here:
    nookDroid

Imaged is sized so you don't have any issues cropping it using the default Android gallery app.
    No problems here,WTF, just exploration.
    Lol, just checking.

Thanks folks for your reply! Calling their support indeed helped, I made a really STUPID mistake of registering onto a wrong account (xxxx@hotMAL.com instead of xxxx@hotMAIL.com) but B&N website was nice enough to not detect that it isn't a valid email address :/
    Haha, I've been working with computers all my life, I can't tell you how many times I've encountered something that's frustrated me to some lengthy extent to only come to the conclusion that I mistyped something or it was a simple mistake.

Lastly, I switched out three of the theme for Button Savior with my own icons to increase contrast. I totally redrew them from scratch, only one I copied over was the "Settings" button, made my own and didn't like it. Liked the old one too much. I'll contact jerryfan2000 and see if he'll have a problem with me either
    A) Sending him my themes so he can make a release for us or
    B) Let me redistribute under the premise that I use test keys to sign the apk.

Until then, I made two mistakes that I need to fix before I post any apk.

There's three themes.
    • Black and white (Black outline, white center)
    • Metro (Black Square, white center) Like WP7
    • Transparent (Black outline, white center at 15% opacity[Not in photo])

IMG_0184.jpg

I also doubled the size of the "Minimize" button and reskinned it. God-sent if you ask me.

I'll get to this over the weekend.
    WHY did I take summer classes this semester!? Man I'm stupid, no free time. Doesn't help that I work too.
    Check Signature for link to TouchNooter, which contains Root/Su/Busybox/Gapps and some extras.
    Thanks the forum for information about rooting the NookTouch. I rooted my new NookTouch and tried various programs. FYI, the following is the list of programs that work and don't work on NookTouch.

Working

Opera Mini (There are zoom buttons !. But it cannot access the local host (192.168.x.x))
    Opera Mobile (It can access the local host)
    Dictionary.com
    NewsRob
    Kindle
    Documents to Go
    Dropbox
    InstaFetch
    Aldiko
    ASTRO file manager
    SpeedTest.net
    PG Calculator
    BuzzBox RSS
    Evernote
    Moon+ Reader (The physical buttons can also change pages !!! and every page is refreshed. No more ghosting issue)
    ADW Launcher (Maybe the only launcher that can change background color of Drawer)
    Advanced Task Killer (a Must have)
    Button Savior (a Must have)
    NookColor Tools (a Must have)
    Superuser (a Must have)

Not Working

Dolphin Browser HD (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    Dolphin Browser (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    Skyfire Browser (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    xScope Browser (The textbox for entering URL is messed up with the Nook search)
    Adobe Reader
    Titanium Backup
    Google Sky Map (Multi-touch cannot be used)