Nabi 2 Root and Gapps Install

Search This thread

Vampire337

Jul 8, 2015
theghOst, thanks so much for your last post. It was lengthy and techie and had a fair amount of narrative that I tend to appreciate more than just "do this and it should work, but if it doesn't I don't remember how I got the answer". And aicjofs, thanks so much for the updated files. Together you've almost got me where I need to be.

My kids have two Nabi2 tablets, and they are updated to KitKat 4.4.2. These have been great tablets for the kids, but they've always been weak on space. So I want to root and remove some of the fluff filling up the not-quite-4GB internal memory, and maybe figure out how to use an SD card.

I tried both "jmzrootpackage" and "mn2ri-v1.5.0-beta2", and it seems like I've had more luck with the second. I have installed PDANet, (both the latest from their site and the version that comes with mn2ri). I've now installed NabiLabDriver64.zip from aicjofs' post, and that got the device to recognize when I run the install script. I extracted mn2ri to a folder on my desktop, extracted "fastboot_adb(1.0.32)_071114_r21" in to overwrite the files, and things look like they're working. Step 1 works, verifying the Nabi2 serial number. I get to the part where it tells me I should "press Install. A two-pane screen will display and on the right-hand side you should see a file called root.zip." I pressed Install, I see a two-pane screen, but no root.zip.

So from here I opened the install.bat and copied the lines "files\adb\adb push files\root.zip /sdcard/root.zip" and "files\adb\adb push files\root-openrecoveryscript /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript" into a dos prompt, and was able to find root.zip. So far so good. I select the root.zip file, and it looks like recovery can't mount anything. This concludes my rooting experience, unless someone can tell me what I need to do in order to get around this:

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
theghOst, thanks so much for your last post. It was lengthy and techie and had a fair amount of narrative that I tend to appreciate more than just "do this and it should work, but if it doesn't I don't remember how I got the answer". And aicjofs, thanks so much for the updated files. Together you've almost got me where I need to be.

My kids have two Nabi2 tablets, and they are updated to KitKat 4.4.2. These have been great tablets for the kids, but they've always been weak on space. So I want to root and remove some of the fluff filling up the not-quite-4GB internal memory, and maybe figure out how to use an SD card.

I tried both "jmzrootpackage" and "mn2ri-v1.5.0-beta2", and it seems like I've had more luck with the second. I have installed PDANet, (both the latest from their site and the version that comes with mn2ri). I've now installed NabiLabDriver64.zip from aicjofs' post, and that got the device to recognize when I run the install script. I extracted mn2ri to a folder on my desktop, extracted "fastboot_adb(1.0.32)_071114_r21" in to overwrite the files, and things look like they're working. Step 1 works, verifying the Nabi2 serial number. I get to the part where it tells me I should "press Install. A two-pane screen will display and on the right-hand side you should see a file called root.zip." I pressed Install, I see a two-pane screen, but no root.zip.

So from here I opened the install.bat and copied the lines "files\adb\adb push files\root.zip /sdcard/root.zip" and "files\adb\adb push files\root-openrecoveryscript /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript" into a dos prompt, and was able to find root.zip. So far so good. I select the root.zip file, and it looks like recovery can't mount anything. This concludes my rooting experience, unless someone can tell me what I need to do in order to get around this:

This concludes my rooting experience,

I don't mean to laugh as I am not that kind of person, but I spit out my drink.... :laugh:

You are really using some old utilities(so was thegh0st). Usually "can't mount" issues are because you are using an incompatible TWRP version. I would try a different version. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=62391871&postcount=2635

I know it's hard to find all the info. Nabi only recently got it's own forum so info is all over the place.

Reactions: n3wt

IVS75

Feb 9, 2016
NABI2-NV7AUS root help

This configuration root help please. Need move apps to SD

i:\adb>fastboot -i 0x0489 oem unlock
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) Bootloader is already unlocked.
OKAY [ 0.024s]
finished. total time: 0.024s

What is next ?

Attachments

• IMG_4843_1.jpg
    IMG_4843_1.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Rooting a Disney Nabi Dreamtab

I've never rooted anything before, but am trying to root a Disney Nabi Dreamtab to get all of the bloatware off. I know that all of the information is in the different posts (I started reading at post #2477), but I've become overwelmed with all of the information and different versions of software to hardware. I don't want to brick it, so I was wondering if I had all of steps in the correct order and what version of the different softwares I would need. I'll be doing this on Windows7 and I don't care about any of data on the Nabi...

Nabi Information:
DMTAB-IN08A-US
4.4.2 - Android version
3.10.20 - Kernal Version
1.3-release_keys - Product version

From http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21
#2504 - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1905674&page=251
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1905674&page=264 - #2639

1. Install fastboot drivers - http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1321538998
  2. Install TWRP -twrp 2.8.5.0 - from post #2554
  3. Commands to install recovery
  4. adb reboot bootloader
  5. fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery.img
  6. Use the arrow keys(vol + and vol -) to go back to bootloader and then select recovery kernel.
  7. fastboot reboot
  8. SuperSu.zip - https://download.chainfire.eu/396/supersu/
  9. Get debloated KK version that I did here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2546

alexbobspoons

Apr 24, 2013
Please can somebody help. Ive previously rooted nabi2 uk V 1.9etc using the original nabilab but just bought a new (refurbished) nabi2 and it has a newer software and I am stumped.

It is the UK Nabi2 V2.3 which is android 4.1.1

Old nabilab didnt work
I downloaded the Nabilab 2015 alpha and tried that, but firstly when I click on the UK tab no new window opens, so I gritted my teeth and clicked the US tab and a window opens. Then, I choose sosftware version button 2.3.11to2.4.6 and try and click on the recovery and root button so that I can make a backup and then root the device (prior to later removing bloatware to get gapps on) but I get an "Unhandled exception" and the program crashes.

I know I have .net 4.5 on and the nabi drivers from pdanet are on from rooting older nabi2s but I just cannot get nabilab2015 to run at all for me. Please help.

To be honest, If I knew of a way to revert/rollback the nabi2 to the earlier 1.9etc version and then be able to root like I did to the older nabi2s that would be perfect, but I dont know how to do that either.

Im really starting to feel out of my depth. I just want the nabi2 rooted and gapps on (I am quite happy to delete anything new to make space eg wings, just cant get to that point).

Any advice appreciated. I have searched around the forums and just not sure if some of the suggestions that are similar are specific to nabi versions or US rather than UK versions.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Alex

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
I've never rooted anything before, but am trying to root a Disney Nabi Dreamtab to get all of the bloatware off. I know that all of the information is in the different posts (I started reading at post #2477), but I've become overwelmed with all of the information and different versions of software to hardware. I don't want to brick it, so I was wondering if I had all of steps in the correct order and what version of the different softwares I would need. I'll be doing this on Windows7 and I don't care about any of data on the Nabi...

Nabi Information:
DMTAB-IN08A-US
4.4.2 - Android version
3.10.20 - Kernal Version
1.3-release_keys - Product version
I have fastboot installed and when am following the instructions from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21

When I get to the bootloader menu, I do not have an option to select fastboot protocol with volume keys; I only have the following options:
reboot droidboot
reboot
recovery
power off

How do you select the "fastboot protocol"?

Looks like you have the Nabi Intel Dreamtab. For Intel tablets you need a whole different procedure.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57825022&postcount=25

Please can somebody help. Ive previously rooted nabi2 uk V 1.9etc using the original nabilab but just bought a new (refurbished) nabi2 and it has a newer software and I am stumped.

It is the UK Nabi2 V2.3 which is android 4.1.1

Old nabilab didnt work
I downloaded the Nabilab 2015 alpha and tried that, but firstly when I click on the UK tab no new window opens, so I gritted my teeth and clicked the US tab and a window opens. Then, I choose sosftware version button 2.3.11to2.4.6 and try and click on the recovery and root button so that I can make a backup and then root the device (prior to later removing bloatware to get gapps on) but I get an "Unhandled exception" and the program crashes.

I know I have .net 4.5 on and the nabi drivers from pdanet are on from rooting older nabi2s but I just cannot get nabilab2015 to run at all for me. Please help.

To be honest, If I knew of a way to revert/rollback the nabi2 to the earlier 1.9etc version and then be able to root like I did to the older nabi2s that would be perfect, but I dont know how to do that either.

Im really starting to feel out of my depth. I just want the nabi2 rooted and gapps on (I am quite happy to delete anything new to make space eg wings, just cant get to that point).

Any advice appreciated. I have searched around the forums and just not sure if some of the suggestions that are similar are specific to nabi versions or US rather than UK versions.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Alex

Unless there is some reason you like 1.9.37, I would update to the latest 2.3.2 for the UK. Then install TWRP 2.8.7 to root it. I'm not sure why Nabilab 2015 threw and exception unless you had multiple windows open. I know you want an automated solution but this procedure isn't too difficult.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63388394&postcount=2

Reactions: alexbobspoons

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Rooting a Disney Nabi Dreamtab

I have fastboot installed and when am following the instructions from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21

When I get to the bootloader menu, I do not have an option to select fastboot protocol with volume keys; I only have the following options:
reboot droidboot
reboot
recovery
power off

How do you select the "fastboot protocol"?

Evidently I do not have the fastboot drivers installed for the Nabi (IN08A).

I've tried on Windows 7, Windows 10, Ubuntu, and even a Raspberry Pi 2.
PDAnet, the universal naked drivers both install, but when I use the following commands, it doesn't find the device
fastboot devices
fastboot oem unlock

I've also tried OnePlus One Toolkit and the same thing, it detects the Nabi, but the fastboot option is unavaible.

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Yes, it shows up an an Android Device with the Android ADB Interface; I can access the Nabi though the file Explorer. I have tried the Nabi in several other USB ports, both in the back on the PC and also through a USB hub.

When PDAnet is disconnect, I can OnePlus One Toolkit, and reboot the NABI, but in the OnePlus window in the PC, the Fastboot Devices textbox is empty. The same behavior is also true for Nabilab GUI and Tools 2015; the ADB option allows be to reboot the Nabi, but the fastboot radiobutton just shows an empty Fastboot Devices window.

Last edited:

n3wt

Feb 24, 2013
Yes, it shows up an an Android Device with the Android ADB Interface; I can access the Nabi though the file Explorer. I have tried the Nabi in several other USB ports, both in the back on the PC and also through a USB hub.

When PDAnet is disconnect, I can OnePlus One Toolkit, and reboot the NABI, but in the OnePlus window in the PC, the Fastboot Devices textbox is empty. The same behavior is also true for Nabilab GUI and Tools 2015; the ADB option allows be to reboot the Nabi, but the fastboot radiobutton just shows an empty Fastboot Devices window.
You rebooting the tablet into bootloader mode and then choosing fastboot protocol?

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Yes, I entered into fastboot mode on the nabi. In fastboot mode, using OnePlus One, I now cannot see the device in the ADB Devices nor in the Fastboot devices.

For completeness, on the Nabi, there is the following text:
DROIDBOOT PROVISION OS
-------
IFWI VERSION: 01.70
SERIALl_NUM: DT08A....
DROIDBOOT VERSION 2.0
PRODUCT: DT8
----------
SELECT
EXECUTE

REBOOT DROIDBOOT
REBOOT
RECOVERY
POWER OFF

E:failed to mount device '/dev/block/sda1' as installer parition using fs_type 'vfat'
FASTBOOT CMD WAITING...
E:installer device ignored
E:installer device ignored
E:No valid installer medium found.
Could not open /sys/devices/virtual/backlight
RESULT: FAIL(unknown OEM command)

There is another program I've tried called IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015.
When using this program, I used the following options:
5 cwm.zip
T3 . launch using oem stop_partitioning trigger

When the Nabi reboots, I now see the following options:
- reboot system now
- install zip
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache parition
- backup and restore
- mounts and storage
- advance

In this mode, I don't think that I can do anything becuase the OEM isn't unlocked.

n3wt

Feb 24, 2013
Ahh, I re-read your problem from the beginning and as Aicjofs pointed out you have an Intel version of the dream tab...I see you have the program from the link he gave you...have you put the UPDATE-SuperSU-vX.Xx.zip on the sdcard of the tablet yet? Tried to use the install zip option to install it?

Reactions: muldoon

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Thanks so much for taking the time and trying to help me sort this out!

Yes, when I selected the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip, it was successful. I selected that Yes, fixroot (/system/xbin/su) and then I rebooted the Nabi.

During the startup, it said "Android is upgrading...." After it booted, I checked root using Root Checker and it wasn't rooted.
I've also tried a scenario where I turned off the Wifi and unplugged the Nabi from the PC when rebooting. Even then it still wasn't rooted..

I wondering if it is because I'm on Product Version 1.3 and aicjocs stated he has only tested it versions 1.0 and 1.2?

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Hopefully this will be my last question. :)
I want to put a de-bloated image on it; during my research I've downloaded several zip files (2311stock.zip, 2311addon.zip, and KK3.0.13.zip). According to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57825022&postcount=25, aicjofs stated that he was in the process of creating a recovery.zip files. I followed the thread to end, but didn't see anything about it (I could have very well missed it...).

n3wt

Feb 24, 2013
Hopefully this will be my last question. :)
I want to put a de-bloated image on it; during my research I've downloaded several zip files (2311stock.zip, 2311addon.zip, and KK3.0.13.zip). According to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=57825022&postcount=25, aicjofs stated that he was in the process of creating a recovery.zip files. I followed the thread to end, but didn't see anything about it (I could have very well missed it...).

I don't think they've unlocked the bootloader for your tablet yet, have they? And those ROM's, are they specifically for the intel dreamtab?

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
There are no ROM's debloated or otherwise for the Intel Dreamtab.

You can debloat if you delete the right files. Beware though since you would be breaking new ground there is the possibility of soft brick if you delete the wrong ones. I have a backup up the system partition, and I also posted it somewhere(probably the Nvidia Dreamtab TWRP thread.). I never made a backup of addon(preload) partition though. It's not like me or another with a working tablet couldn't get you a backup should it come to that. I'm just preaching caution about what you delete since you will be venturing in to uncharted territory.

Reactions: Twink225 and n3wt

muldoon

Feb 28, 2016
Ah. Thanks for the replies! It looks like my journey may have come to an end then...

What I was really hoping for is to be able to get the first 10 screens of garbage off so it would be less "childish" for my 8 year-old.

Oh well. If you ever need a Guinea pig, then let me know

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */

Here comes the root for the Nabi 2 and how to install fully work GApps.

You must have a basic working knowledge of adb and have it installed. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1590800
    Also ensure you have fastboot installed and working

attachment.php

1. Ensure you have latest updates
    2. Download jmzrootpackage.zip from here
    3. Extract files to desktop
    4. Plug in phone
    5. Choose from which option you want

Recovery was built by me but Dees_Troy pointed me in the right direction a couple times
    This thread has slowed down...

Got a new tool for you guys to play with.

Nabi Lab!

EDIT: I found a bug today. During lock screen modding the 1st prompt tells you image must be 1440x903, and the second 1400x903. The proper size is 1440 x 903

haha

Drivers.
    Root, backup, gapps,
    Return to stock condition.
    TWRP recoveries.(new symlinked partitions) see if this fixes some of the last of the TWRP errors for different Nabi's
    General Information display
    Lockscreen modding(Saves the zip to folder besides installing, hopefully makes it easier for people to do it, and we can get some sharing of lockscreens)

This is very much alpha. If you play with it you have to have a backup, until bugs are worked out.

There is a lite version and a full version. Only difference is lite doesn't have a full 1.9.37 stock backup, so it's 100MB, versus 1.2GB. Any fixes will be small patches 1MB at the most. Full version is really only for those needing to go back to stock and don't have a backup.

Lite: https://www.box.com/s/z8f6ibz05h22jzm4uxx4 93MB
    Lite: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbMU95N1g3c2tXSHc 93MB
    Full: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbU0E5cm1GdFUxRFE 1.2GB

I have worked through a restore to stock, flash Gapps, Root, and make backup. Installed TWRP. Changed lockscreen. Installed drivers. So I believe it's safe at this point to have a few people test. Read the directions. I'll upload a video showing it in action if you're hesitant. I'd like a few testers to work through the screens. Plug in multiple Android devices and see if it detects the conflict. It doesn't always stop you if you have 2 devices plugged in, just see if it's warning you. Try a few things out and see what bugs there are.

You Tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvrooV9aPyI

nabilab.png

nabilab1.png

nabilab2.png

nabilab3.png

nabilab4.png
    Well this is a HUGE mess now is it! Are we all bathing in children's tears... :p

I think most of the 2nd OTA issues stem from either TWRP deleting some files to protect it's self, or the fact people have taken ROM restores, which unlike going the OTA route don't deal with any changes to the addon partition, and the 2nd OTA is not seeing the files on that partition it expects.

For those that completed the first OTA but not the second this might get around the issues, by deleting recovery checks, and copying the full apks to addon. Use TWRP to "install it"

OTA2mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second method might help people that have a complete disaster going on.

Download the first file. It is the stock rom for 2.3.11. You need to put it in TWRP/BACKUPS/XXX/folder where "XXX "is your serial and "folder" is a name of your choice. "Restore" from this folder boot and system

This will give you the stock ROM but it will not be bootable because you are still on ICS bootloader, and you have made no proper changes to addon. So BEFORE reboot take the second file addonfix and "install" it. It should install stock 2.3.11 addons, update the bootloader and perform some Nabi setup magic. Now reboot.

2311stockROM

addonfix.zip

Keep in mind the need to switch TWRP version afterward. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=47306565&postcount=67

Hopefully this helps the normal US users straight. Still have a couple people with partition mods that need to be undone, and I'm not sure what to do about the UK users. I have someone who said they would give me a stock UK image, but I haven't got it yet, and I'm not sure how that is going to help with those that want this update on a UK version, but it could at least get them back to where they started if this isnt working for them.
    You all get the new update v2.4.6?

States as Google Security Fixes. I uploaded it for you all if you need or want it. Pulled it from my Nabi2. Have not installed it yet. Want to check it out first.

Download : v2.4.6 OTA ( 165 MB )

Yep. Seems a rather simple update when peeking inside. Does another bootloader update though. TWRP still works fine.

Here is the full stock Nabi 2.4.6 image. system, boot, addon, recovery

246stock.zip

Here is a flashable bootloader update

JB246bootloader

With those 2 files it should allow any Nabi in any condition to return to stock 2.4.6. Like the previous procedure extract the images to your TWRP backup folder and restore all, then before reboot "install" the JB246bootloader.zip. Basically this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21 but with 246stock.zip in place of 2311stock and 2311addon zips, and the 246 bootloader zip instead of the old JBbootloader zip

Then here are some TWRP flashable OTA's, we are all kind of all over the map so making an update for everyone isn't so easy.

First TWRP flashable zip is for anyone that has rooted, has done a lock screen mod, used the 4 way reboot menu, or edited the build.prop. It will undo those changes and then do OTA

2311to246.zip

The second I have no idea if will even work. It's for anyone that applied the minimal Nabi zip awhile back. I can't test it but it ignores all those files. DONT use this one unless you know you flashed the minimal Nabi and even then it may not work.

2311to246minimal.zip

Finally I new TWRP

Nabi Specific: Add 2.4.6 kernel

TWRP Changes

Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    Improvements to USB storage handling
    Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    Various other bugfixes and tweaks

NABI2JBTWRP271.zip (fastboot)

twrp-recovery-JBNV7AUS-271.zip (flashable)

Latest device tree for building recovery with Omni 4.4.4 as base with 2.4.6 kernel

https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799_omni

There ya go just enough to cause a lot of chaos. It's been too quite around here anyway... :p
    Ok I managed to fit everything in the recovery(exfat/super user) at 8MB and changed the color space so that Aroma works but the colors aren't all crazy. Added the Nabi theme back in.

3.0.13 users can flash 285 for KK

Everyone else(Disney, Nick, UK, original 2.4.6 and below) should use 285 for JB
    EDIT: Note Disney and Nick have received KK update since this post was made.