Nabi 2 ROOT Installer

Search This thread

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
Nabi 2 ROOT Installer

Use this script to install TWRP Recovery, ROOT, and Google apps to your Nabi 2 tablet. Step by step instructions are included within the installer. While there is another more complex script (by aicjofs, and which was offline when I originally needed it), this one is smaller and simpler. It is based on jmzrootpackage, and I had some inspiration from Victoria's video. I started this with the intention of only making things just a little bit smoother. I ended up adding more than I had originally intended. This installer contains information through each step to help guide you through the rooting process. Linux instructions can be found here.

NOTE: (Jan, 2015) There are newer versions of the Nabi on the market now, and I do not have any with which to test this script, only the original Nabi 2. As a result, it is unlikely that this will get any further updates. The newer models most likely will not work very well, or simply not work at all with this script. If you are capable and so inclined, I officially invite you to use this script in your own rooting project. Just give credit where credit is due.

Summary:
  • Helps guide you step by step
  • ROOT your Nabi 2
  • Install Google apps
  • Will NOT wipe your data
  • No Android upgrading message
  • No wifi issues
  • Install TWRP
  • Simple update to TWRP
  • Reported to fix touch screen issues in TWRP
  • Includes ADB files
  • Automatically backs up before rooting
  • Includes PdaNet driver installer
  • New Remove Wings (for Nabi 2 v2.1+)

mn2ri-v1.5.0-Beta2.png

1. Check For Proper Drivers
Use this option to check if your computer has the PdaNet drivers communicating with your Nabi2. This is a simple check for existing connectivity. Nothing will be changed. This will also display your Nabi 2 serial number.

2. Install PdaNet Driver
In order for this installer to properly interface with the Nabi 2, you must have the PdaNet driver installed on your computer. This option will start the PdaNet driver installation process for you. Requires Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (32 or 64 bit). If you already have the drivers installed, you can skip this step.

3. Install Recovery and Root
This will install the touch enabled TWRP recovery to the tablet, as well as copy over the rooting file. Use the TWRP install button to select the rooting file and apply.

4. Install Google Apps
After your Nabi 2 is rooted, use this option to install Google apps. After it is copied over, use the TWRP install button to select the Google apps file and apply. Reboot the Nabi 2 (parent mode) and then update the Google apps to the current version of Google Play.

5. Update TWRP
Here you can choose from two experimental versions of TWRP, or drop-in your own custom version. You are given the options of testing and installing. That way you can make sure it works with your Nabi 2 before you flash it.

6. Remove Wings
This option only applies to Nabi 2 system version 2.1+. With version 2.1, Fuhu filled up the /system partition. As a result, there is not enough room to add Google Apps to the Nabi 2. Removing Wings will free up nearly 105 MB, and will allow Google Apps to be installed. You have the option of removing the files with or without backing them up first.

9. Exit
As you might expect, this closes the program window.

Misc. Notes:
  • Tested with US edition; With other versions you mileage will vary...

Credits:
  • jmztaylor - wrote the original root your nabi 2 script
  • aicjofs - TWRP for Nabi 2, and NabiLabs
  • t499user - fixed the Android is upgrading on startup bug
  • Dees_troy - TWRP help
  • Victoria - made the video that inspired me to work on this script

Update Notes:
  • Tweaked the install script
  • Updated TWRP Recovery to v2.6.0.0
  • Included experimental TWRP recoveries 2.6.0.0v2, 2.6.1.0
  • Removed old TWRP recoveries
  • Updated PDAnet installer to v4.12.6.0
  • Included fix for Nabi2 v2.1 no free space issue
  • Organized some internal files

Beta2 Notes:
I have regressed the updated *.zip files to the originals, and the rest should work as expected now.

Download Mirrors:
MN2RI v1.5.0 Beta2
(78.6 MB)
  1. datafilehost.com
  2. tbd

MN2RI v1.5.0 Beta (92.5 MB)
  1. datafilehost.com
  2. tbd

MN2RI v1.00 (65.9 MB)
  1. datafilehost.com
  2. filecloud.io

Last edited:

sigsour

Apr 1, 2012
Wow, that was easy. Now I need to figure out how to move apps to the sd card.
Thanks for this again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

g8rzz187

Dec 7, 2010
Wow...

Thanks so much for this. Starting my second one as soon as I post this. Sooo easy to use this - even for this noob. Now these are full blown tablets...

cgendreau

Jun 27, 2007
Does this method allow you to purchase and.or download apps from the Google Play store or is it just installing the Google Apps that have been known to work on the Nabi (sans purchasing apps from Play)?

avazquez

Oct 21, 2007
it worked!

Does this method allow you to purchase and.or download apps from the Google Play store or is it just installing the Google Apps that have been known to work on the Nabi (sans purchasing apps from Play)?

i've used this method and worked like a charm, and yes now you have google play and can use it, instead the other crappy stores

:D

SlimMan

Aug 20, 2011
Abingdon
Thanks for sharing this.

Any idea if this would work on the first nabi?

Also does this leave the parent / nabi mode intact?

necromonger89

Dec 8, 2010
This topic may be dead but I just ran this script for my niece's Nabi 2 to get some better games for her and everything worked except for the Gapps. Flashed 3 times using the script and once using the custom recovery(flashed Gapps.zip). Can someone please help?

I followed all the instructions.

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
Thanks for sharing this.

Any idea if this would work on the first nabi?

Also does this leave the parent / nabi mode intact?

I do not have access to the original Nabi, so I cannot confirm whether it will work or not. Most likely it would not work. As for the parent/nabi mode, YES. The process used in this script does not in any way delete or remove your data or Nabi 2 system information. It only adds ROOT and Google apps. Once you have root you could remove whatever you want.

Reactions: SlimMan

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
This topic may be dead but I just ran this script for my niece's Nabi 2 to get some better games for her and everything worked except for the Gapps. Flashed 3 times using the script and once using the custom recovery(flashed Gapps.zip). Can someone please help?

I followed all the instructions.

This topic is not dead, I've just been unusually busy this year.

Have you tried wiping the cache/dalvik before flashing GApps? Please post back with some information about your Nabi 2. What is your Nabi kernal #? Have you verified that root is functioning correctly? Is there enough free space available on your Nabi 2 to allow installation of GApps? Is there anything else that you have attempted but did not list above?

Last edited:
Reactions: imran-uk

SlimMan

Aug 20, 2011
Abingdon
I do not have access to the original Nabi, so I cannot confirm whether it will work or not. Most likely it would not work. As for the parent/nabi mode, YES. The process used in this script does not in any way delete or remove your data or Nabi 2 system information. It only adds ROOT and Google apps. Once you have root you could remove whatever you want.

Firstly thanks for the reply. Secondly the Nabi in question just received a update in the software and while I was under the impression that it was a nabi one the software clearly showed that the file was Nabi2 update. So with that being said, does this root installer still work on the latest update?

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
Firstly thanks for the reply. Secondly the Nabi in question just received a update in the software and while I was under the impression that it was a nabi one the software clearly showed that the file was Nabi2 update. So with that being said, does this root installer still work on the latest update?

With the latest update (2.1), there seems to be some changes in the Nabi2 that prevent the Google apps from properly loading. Everything else seems to work fine (meaning your Nabi2 still gets rooted). There are some custom rom's in the wiki that include root and gapps.

I am looking into a fix regarding this. I have a possible work around, but it requires manually moving some files. Although, I have not tested it yet so it may not work.

majedalanni

Jun 5, 2007
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8 Pro
With the latest update (2.1), there seems to be some changes in the Nabi2 that prevent the Google apps from properly loading. Everything else seems to work fine (meaning your Nabi2 still gets rooted). There are some custom rom's in the wiki that include root and gapps.

I am looking into a fix regarding this. I have a possible work around, but it requires manually moving some files. Although, I have not tested it yet so it may not work.

I just bought nabi 2 for my kid, I've updsted via the tabet update and then start you software' everything went right exept I can't see google play icon, then I've installed play store from everything nabi website and from internet but it keep crashed and fc. Please can u help me even if with hard way?

Thanks a lot

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
I just bought nabi 2 for my kid, I've updsted via the tabet update and then start you software' everything went right exept I can't see google play icon, then I've installed play store from everything nabi website and from internet but it keep crashed and fc. Please can u help me even if with hard way?

Thanks a lot

Are you using Nabi2 kernal 2.1.27? Please post a link to where you got your Gapps so that I can take a look.

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org

Gapp is from your software, please check attached file for version

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant the "play store" that you said that you installed from the "everything nabi" website. I need the link to there, so that I can see what it is that you installed. If they have more than one version listed there, then I need to know which one you downloaded and installed.

You have Nabi2 Product version 2.1-release-keys

I noticed from your screenshot that the Nabi2 has a new entry: Edition NABI2-NV7A-US which does not exist yet on the one that I have here (which is much older).

Have you done anything to verify that you have properly functioning root on the Nabi2?

I remember that screen cover. A little window cleaner, and those white lines come right off. I actually used that as the screen protector for a while. Until I got an actual screen protector that fit the entire screen completely.

Last edited:

mehtuus

Aug 20, 2011
tomely.org
A new Beta version (1.5.0) has been posted. It addresses the full partition issue with the Nabi2 v2.1+ update, and introduces updated *.zip files as the beta element. For those interested, please read the updates on the first post, test, and post back your experience with it.

More would have been included, but due to unrelated RL issues I had to save the rest for a future update.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nabi 2 ROOT Installer

Use this script to install TWRP Recovery, ROOT, and Google apps to your Nabi 2 tablet. Step by step instructions are included within the installer. While there is another more complex script (by aicjofs, and which was offline when I originally needed it), this one is smaller and simpler. It is based on jmzrootpackage, and I had some inspiration from Victoria's video. I started this with the intention of only making things just a little bit smoother. I ended up adding more than I had originally intended. This installer contains information through each step to help guide you through the rooting process. Linux instructions can be found here.

NOTE: (Jan, 2015) There are newer versions of the Nabi on the market now, and I do not have any with which to test this script, only the original Nabi 2. As a result, it is unlikely that this will get any further updates. The newer models most likely will not work very well, or simply not work at all with this script. If you are capable and so inclined, I officially invite you to use this script in your own rooting project. Just give credit where credit is due.

Summary:
    • Helps guide you step by step
    • ROOT your Nabi 2
    • Install Google apps
    • Will NOT wipe your data
    • No Android upgrading message
    • No wifi issues
    • Install TWRP
    • Simple update to TWRP
    • Reported to fix touch screen issues in TWRP
    • Includes ADB files
    • Automatically backs up before rooting
    • Includes PdaNet driver installer
    • New Remove Wings (for Nabi 2 v2.1+)

mn2ri-v1.5.0-Beta2.png

1. Check For Proper Drivers
    Use this option to check if your computer has the PdaNet drivers communicating with your Nabi2. This is a simple check for existing connectivity. Nothing will be changed. This will also display your Nabi 2 serial number.

2. Install PdaNet Driver
    In order for this installer to properly interface with the Nabi 2, you must have the PdaNet driver installed on your computer. This option will start the PdaNet driver installation process for you. Requires Windows 8/7/Vista/XP (32 or 64 bit). If you already have the drivers installed, you can skip this step.

3. Install Recovery and Root
    This will install the touch enabled TWRP recovery to the tablet, as well as copy over the rooting file. Use the TWRP install button to select the rooting file and apply.

4. Install Google Apps
    After your Nabi 2 is rooted, use this option to install Google apps. After it is copied over, use the TWRP install button to select the Google apps file and apply. Reboot the Nabi 2 (parent mode) and then update the Google apps to the current version of Google Play.

5. Update TWRP
    Here you can choose from two experimental versions of TWRP, or drop-in your own custom version. You are given the options of testing and installing. That way you can make sure it works with your Nabi 2 before you flash it.

6. Remove Wings
    This option only applies to Nabi 2 system version 2.1+. With version 2.1, Fuhu filled up the /system partition. As a result, there is not enough room to add Google Apps to the Nabi 2. Removing Wings will free up nearly 105 MB, and will allow Google Apps to be installed. You have the option of removing the files with or without backing them up first.

9. Exit
    As you might expect, this closes the program window.

Misc. Notes:
    • Tested with US edition; With other versions you mileage will vary...

Credits:
    • jmztaylor - wrote the original root your nabi 2 script
    • aicjofs - TWRP for Nabi 2, and NabiLabs
    • t499user - fixed the Android is upgrading on startup bug
    • Dees_troy - TWRP help
    • Victoria - made the video that inspired me to work on this script

Update Notes:
    • Tweaked the install script
    • Updated TWRP Recovery to v2.6.0.0
    • Included experimental TWRP recoveries 2.6.0.0v2, 2.6.1.0
    • Removed old TWRP recoveries
    • Updated PDAnet installer to v4.12.6.0
    • Included fix for Nabi2 v2.1 no free space issue
    • Organized some internal files

Beta2 Notes:
    I have regressed the updated *.zip files to the originals, and the rest should work as expected now.

Download Mirrors:
    MN2RI v1.5.0 Beta2
    (78.6 MB)
    1. datafilehost.com
    2. tbd

MN2RI v1.5.0 Beta (92.5 MB)
    1. datafilehost.com
    2. tbd

MN2RI v1.00 (65.9 MB)
    1. datafilehost.com
    2. filecloud.io
    Thanks, 2.6.3 is at least showing working touch screen controls. However I still cant manage to flash any zip files or even view any "restore" file folders that I pushed to the extsd with adb. I've got to say I have never had so much trouble rooting a device.

What errors are you seeing? Can't mount /data etc? There has to be a missing piece we aren't understanding, because you are right it's normally not this difficult at all.

My only guess at this point is that the full backup/s to restore from that are posted here are not being extracted /unzipped completely in the correct location in your memory card. Also I personally don't have touch issues at all with TWRP 2.7.1.

Now sdcard1 could be sdcard0 depending where you are saving your backups. Like aicjofs had explained before in other posts, that last " folder name " which is numbered ( in my case it is 0f41000001000000 ) is specific to your nabi2.

In the second picture it shows the name of my last backup folder that was inside the nabi specific folder I have in my external sdcard. I left it the same but extracted the 246stock.zip inside it. The file structure/path ( although could be a little confusing in the picture ) in my sdcard is:

/ storage / sdcard1 / TWRP / BACKUPS / 0f41000001000000 / FULLBKUP080114 / ( saved info in the folder )

FULLBKUP080114 was the folder name I had created inside my specific numbered nabi2 folder in my TWRP backup location from a previous backup. This is where you need to extract/unzip the 246stock.zip ( or any other full backup anyone posts ). You can make your own folder in the specific numbered nabi folder anytime and just name it what ever you want so you know which it is ( just no spaces or special characters to avoid any problems if any ). Hope this help you out.

After two days of trying this I finally figured this out, anyhow is there anything that can be deleted safely as opposed to wings. In other words I want to keep wings if possible. all I really want is the playstore anyway

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48110238&postcount=1780
    Simple answer is the system partition is full. Gapps and full 2.1.27 don't fit. Have to delete something to have gapps fit on /system. I discuss a bit of it here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45866724&postcount=1647
    A new Beta version (1.5.0) has been posted. It addresses the full partition issue with the Nabi2 v2.1+ update, and introduces updated *.zip files as the beta element. For those interested, please read the updates on the first post, test, and post back your experience with it.

More would have been included, but due to unrelated RL issues I had to save the rest for a future update.