nandroid restore..on another z3..is it possible?

Search This thread

guybrush2099

Apr 19, 2013
An "interesting" little question...

If I do my z3 nandroid backup with cwm, and my z3 after some days breaks forever...could I restore that nandroid backup on another z3 (same model d6603)? :D

guybrush2099

Apr 19, 2013
I've tried and it's works...

BUT

camera is blind..it starts on a black view and it remains black...
I tried clear data and cache in recovery and in camera apps...

my bootloader is LOCKED (never UNLOCKED)

Reactions: Infy_AsiX

Infy_AsiX

Feb 13, 2012
Brisbane
I've restored across up to four different Z3 Compacts and the rear camera has never functioned on KK and LP. One thing to note is the Nandroid can be restored elsewhere, backed up elsewhere, restored to the original and have the camera back.

Something strange occurred though recently for me. I've started migrating to MM and have a fully functioning and a physically impaired Z3C to work with. So considering the note above I flashed then Nandroided from the good phone to restore to the bad phone to gradually setup MM while I use a old LP on the good phone. That way when I've completed the setup and want to use MM on the good phone it will be camera ready.

Now here's the strange part. I've just noticed the camera now works on the bad phone with the transferred restored Nandroid. I don't remember checking if it had ever worked after first starting MM so maybe restoring across phones now works in MM? Restoring back onto the original good phone has the camera working as expected too.

When I get a chance I can try the initial process again to see if it's maybe simply MM that now allows the function. The rom is stock 23.5.A.1.291 with EliteKernel. Perhaps it could be the newer DRM zip file fix related or EliteKernel's DRM injected inclusion? If someone wants to test simply restoring a Xperia MM across to another identical device to see if it's just MM related, that would be helpful.

Whatever the case, having the camera fixed means super easy transferring to another Z3C for me if/when I lose/break it and have a Nandroid stored :p. More useful now too as buying a used replacement can cost less than a screen repair replacement. Which is exactly my case, I grabbed a good condition Z3C for AUD $120 when a broken screen repair would have cost me around $200.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeattleMatt

Infy_AsiX

Feb 13, 2012
Brisbane
Any follow up to this on getting a working rear camera? I know there are many many people with this problem, including me.
I haven't tried going back to the start to test. However that same setup backed up later I've used on yet another Z3C successfully with working rear camera.

Simply trying a MM restore is first. If that doesn't work follow my aforementioned steps which are latest stock MM, newer MM DRM zip and EliteKernel. Should work somewhere there.

Sent from my Xperia Z3 Compact using XDA Labs

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    An "interesting" little question...

If I do my z3 nandroid backup with cwm, and my z3 after some days breaks forever...could I restore that nandroid backup on another z3 (same model d6603)? :D

yes u can. but if some programms use s/n of device for checking license u should reactivate them manualy
    I've tried and it's works...

BUT

camera is blind..it starts on a black view and it remains black...
    I tried clear data and cache in recovery and in camera apps...

my bootloader is LOCKED (never UNLOCKED)
    I've restored across up to four different Z3 Compacts and the rear camera has never functioned on KK and LP. One thing to note is the Nandroid can be restored elsewhere, backed up elsewhere, restored to the original and have the camera back.

Something strange occurred though recently for me. I've started migrating to MM and have a fully functioning and a physically impaired Z3C to work with. So considering the note above I flashed then Nandroided from the good phone to restore to the bad phone to gradually setup MM while I use a old LP on the good phone. That way when I've completed the setup and want to use MM on the good phone it will be camera ready.

Now here's the strange part. I've just noticed the camera now works on the bad phone with the transferred restored Nandroid. I don't remember checking if it had ever worked after first starting MM so maybe restoring across phones now works in MM? Restoring back onto the original good phone has the camera working as expected too.

When I get a chance I can try the initial process again to see if it's maybe simply MM that now allows the function. The rom is stock 23.5.A.1.291 with EliteKernel. Perhaps it could be the newer DRM zip file fix related or EliteKernel's DRM injected inclusion? If someone wants to test simply restoring a Xperia MM across to another identical device to see if it's just MM related, that would be helpful.

Whatever the case, having the camera fixed means super easy transferring to another Z3C for me if/when I lose/break it and have a Nandroid stored :p. More useful now too as buying a used replacement can cost less than a screen repair replacement. Which is exactly my case, I grabbed a good condition Z3C for AUD $120 when a broken screen repair would have cost me around $200.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone