Nasty bug when replying to message from a pop-up window in the lock screen (Lollipop)

Search This thread

Adrianrff

Sep 28, 2014
Caracas
Hi.

I'm experiencing a nasty little bug when I try to reply to a message from a quick reply window when the screen is locked.

This is what happens:
If the screen is off and I get message in an app that has the quick reply feature in lock screen enabled, as soon as I tap the text field the screen starts flickering horribly, like switching very rapidly between the lock screen and the quick reply window trying to open the keyboard. It feels like the phone is going to explode. I first noticed this when trying out Telegram, I thought it was an issue with that particular app, but then I enabled the feature in Whatsapp just to test, and the same thing happened.

Could this be a Lollipop bug? I don't know much about this stuff, hopefully someone can shed some light here.

I'll try to upload a screen record later in case I'm not explaining myself (which is likely due to my limited English vocabulary).
EDIT: Ok, here's the screen record -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI9d_PiQ9zA&index=1&list=UUJBPMHNSOxSqUiEkqtQiTRg (I know I should've covered my contact's name but I didn't know how to. I trust you won't murder her :))

Thanks in advance.

Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 - No root

Last edited:

gmk101

Dec 7, 2014
lollipop flickers when replying whatsapp messages at lock screen

I do not have swiftkey installed in my nexus 5 but also having issue of flickering.

gmk101

Dec 7, 2014
Correct. Try to reply whatsapp message at the lock screen and the screen goes crazily flickering. It flickers then get frozen for 10 seconds or so. If I agree to send a report to Android, it allows me to unlock the phone, then minimize the reporting screen, goes into whatsapp to reply.

Adrianrff

Sep 28, 2014
Caracas
Correct. Try to reply whatsapp message at the lock screen and the screen goes crazily flickering. It flickers then get frozen for 10 seconds or so. If I agree to send a report to Android, it allows me to unlock the phone, then minimize the reporting screen, goes into whatsapp to reply.

Have you tried with other apps with quick reply feature? If not, try it just to see. Also, what keyboard do you use? I don't see this with the Google stock keyboard

gmk101

Dec 7, 2014
Have you tried with other apps with quick reply feature? If not, try it just to see. Also, what keyboard do you use? I don't see this with the Google stock keyboard
I use a keyboard called TouchPal. The problem only occurs when the screen gas security lock. If the screen is not locked, no issues.

Jan 26, 2012
Montreal
Exact same problem, different variables.

I have this EXACT same issue on my OPO. It occurs with my handcent popups windows and I use TouchPal. It looks like its flickering back and forth between the on screen notification of incoming texts and the popup window. If I disabled the notifications, the popup window still flickers.
From the sounds of the above posts, its not limited to which keyboard or app popup but more likely the lollipop lockscreen.... (I am running latest CM12 nightly but its been happening ever since Ive gone to lollipop)
Cant wait until this problem is pinned down.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone