[NC][1.4.1][1.4.2][1.4.3] ManualNooter 5.08.20

Search This thread

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
THIS IS FOR 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and 1.4.3 ONLY - Please don't quote the first post.

As of October 31 2013, the Nook Color with Froyo is dead in the water, as far as the Google Play store is concerned. Google updated to Google Play Services 4.0, and with it killed off the API support for Android 2.2 Froyo. That means that almost all apps being produced or updated since then will not support Froyo. If you look up Angry Birds on the Play Store website, you will see that the minimum system requirements are Android 2.3 and up.
  • What it does:
    • Permanently Enable ADB via uRamdisk
    • Installs adbWireless
    • Installs su and Superuser.apk
    • Installs Busybox
    • Installs Softkeys
    • Installs Zeam Launcher
    • Installs B&N HomeLauncher
    • Installs HomeCatcher
    • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • Installs Live Wallpapers
    • Installs Custom Boot Animation
    • Fix to Allow update to Adobe Flash and Air
    • App Auto Install (Open up manualnooter-5.xx.xx.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)
  • System Files that get Modified:
    • uRamdisk - Enable permanent ADB Access
    • /system/build.prop - Fingerprint change
    • download.db - Fixes Market "Download Unsuccessful" issues
    • services.jar - Fixes apps2sd

• Changes:
    • August 20, 2012 -
      • Updated Adobe Flash to version 11.1.111.10
      • Moved Adobe Air from the Data partition, to the System partition. This is to fix the "Read-To-Me" playback error.
      • Fixed the missing text in the "NookColor Tools" app
      • Introduced versions that disable B&N updates, by utilizing the SQLite method
      • Introduced incremental updates, so that you can flash only the changes that were made in the upgrade
    • February 19, 2012 - Fixed script that deleted the kernel image, and left you stuck at "Read Forever"
    • February 12, 2012 - Initial release

• Before you begin:
    1. You must do a complete wipe before installing this package.
    2. If you want to update to 1.4.3 - Instructions HERE
    3. You must already have a registered Nook Color
    4. YOU MUST DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR B&N CONTENT BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, OR YOU RUN THE RISK OF LOSING ALL ACCESS TO B&N CONTENT
    5. You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, Etc. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration use that one for this process.
    6. You must have a bootable ClockWorkMod version 3.2.0.1 SD card: HERE - Use Win32DiskImager to flash this image to your SD card LINK
      • OR emmc CWM Recovery Installed
    7. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.
    8. If you don't have enough posts to post in the development section, please go post in the Q&A section, and post with "MN5" in the heading. I don't read every post on this board, so I can get to you a little easier if you follow these guidelines.

• Let's get started:
    • If you're running a previous MN 5, you do not need to do a complete wipe.
      1. Download one of the Following ManualNooter 5 files based on your needs:
      2. If you will be flashing with apps2sd support, you will also need to download one of the following kernel images to fully utilize apps2sd support.
      3. Copy above file(s) onto your bootable CWM SD card using Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.
        • DO NOT extract the zip file. It MUST be left as-is
        • DO NOT copy the zip file into a folder. Leave it at the top directory of your card.
      4. Unplug your Nook Color from computer. (If plugged in)
      5. Turn off your Nook Color. (If turned on)
      6. Insert bootable CWM SD card with ManualNooter into your Nook Color.
      7. Turn on your Nook Color
        • If using bootable CWM SD card this should boot you directly into recovery
        • If using emmc CWM Recovery instead of SD card CWM Recovery, boot to recovery.
      8. When CWM boots select:
        • install zip from sdcard (Volume down 4 times, then n)
        • choose zip from sdcard (Volume down 1 time, then n)
        • manualnooter-5.xx.xx.zip (Hit volume up until you get to it, then n)
        • Confirm that you really want to run the update
          • Selecting this indicates that you take responsibility for your own actions.
      9. Wait patiently and follow onscreen directions
        • If you flashed apps2sd file, now would be the time to flash the kernel for full support.
        • Remove bootable CWM card from Nook Color and select reboot
        • If you get "Install Failed" after rebooting out of CWM this can be normal. Just reboot again.
      10. After reboot and unlocking your device select Zeam Launcher.
      11. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service/Sign In.
        • Exit out of the market, wait a couple minutes for Gapps to sync everything up, and market to update
        • When the market icon has changes, open it again to accept terms of conditions again for the updated market.
        • You may not have to Accept Terms and Service or Sign In if you're updating from a previous MN version.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted.
      12. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the Nook Color Tools App.
        • Uncheck the top box, then recheck the box again
      13. (OPTIONAL) To restore the SD card to a "usable" state
        • Insert bootable CWM card into Nook Color
        • Go to Settings > Device Info > SD card > UnMount > Format
        • This will wipe your SD card of all MN/CWM bootable abilities. If you use this you will have to reflash the SD card for future MN releases if you don't flash CWM to your emmc.
      14. If you are upgrading from manualnooter-5.01.21, or earlier:
        • You need to perform the market limited visibility steps found below
        • If the market dies on you after performing those steps:
          1. Go into manage applications
          2. Select Market
          3. Uninstall updates
          4. Open market and accept user agreement
          5. Exit market to let it update itself
          6. Open market and accept user agreement

• How-To Video
  • Known issues without solutions:
    • Network Location isn't enabled -
      • Signature Issue -
    • News and Weather app/widget -
      • Reliant on network location -

• Known issues and solutions:
    • Google Search widget crashes - This is an issue with the NC network location
      • Start the Google Search app
      • Press the "Menu" button
      • Select "Search settings"
      • Uncheck the box next to "Use My Location"
    • Read-To-Me playback problem -
      • If you have upgraded to manualnooter-5.08.20
        • Open Manage Applications
        • Select "All"
        • Locate and select "Adobe AIR"
        • Select "Uninstall Updates" from the upper right corner
        • Exit back to the launcher, and select the "Play Store"
        • Search for "Adobe AIR"
        • Uncheck the "Allow automatic updating" box
      • If you have not upgraded to manualnooter-5.08.20
        • Flash one of the incremental update files with CWM to update to manualnooter-5.08.20
        • Open the "Play Store"
        • Search for "Adobe AIR"
    • ROM Manager file selection -
      • After selecting "Install ROM from SD Card" you can't select a file to flash
        • Open "Manage Application"
        • Select "All"
        • Locate "ROM Manager"
        • Exit back to your launcher, and select "Play Store"
        • Search for "ROM Manager"
        • Uncheck the "Allow automatic updating"
    • YouTube won't play HD files
      • Older versions of YouTube allowed you to select "HQ" High Quality playback
        • Select "All"
        • Locate "YouTube"
        • Search for "YouTube"
    • IMEI Force Close -
      • There is no randomly generated IMEI in this version - This can be fixed by using the IMEI Generator HERE
    • Calendar sync -
      • Calendar does not sync properly with multiple calenders linked to your google account. Simply use one of the many free alternative calendar apps.
    • Market has limited visibility - This is a known tablet issue, not just a Nook Color one.
      1. Start Nook Color Tools
      2. Select the "All Settings" button
      3. Unplug your Nook Color from computer. (If Plugged in.)
      4. Choose "Manage Applications" from the list
      5. Select the "All" tab
      6. Scroll down to "Market" and select it
      7. Tap "Force stop"
      8. Tap "Clear cache"
      9. Tap the back button if you have SoftKeys running, else swipe right to left on the status bar at the bottom of the screen (from the clock to the book icon)
      10. Scroll up to "Google Services Framework" and select it
      11. Tap "Clear data"
      12. Tap "OK"
      13. Tap "Force stop"
      14. Press the n button to return to your launcher
      15. Start Market
      16. At the "An error has occurred" message, tap "OK"
      17. Hold your power button to turn off your Nook Color from the menu
      18. Turn your Nook Color back on and give it a moment to find your WiFi connection
      19. Start Market again, and the problem is resolved

• Complete Wipe:
    • Flash back to clean stock rom
      • This will not work if you're using emmc ClockWorkMod Recovery
      • You must do both parts to completely wipe clean your Nook Color

• Thanks To:
    • thespotlite from Android Creative Syndicate - How-To Video
    • bpk - SoftKeys
    • MrSiir - adbWireless
    • Gojimi - HomeCatcher
    • Suteru - Boot Animation
    • Ben74 - NookColor Tools
    • HamNCheese - B&N HomeLauncher
    • Michael Bentz - Zeam Launcher
    • pokey9000 - Original Nooter that started the AutoNooter and ManualNooter projects.
    • GabrialDestruir - Borrowed install instructions
    • Dalingrin - OC kernel
      • Please Note: If I'm using your app within ManualNooter or AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.

Last edited:

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
  • Frequently Asked Questions:
    • Can i update Adobe Flash and Air -
      • Yes, the Adobe boot loop fix is applied with MN 5
    • Does this block OTA updates -
      • Starting with ManualNooter-5.08.20 you now have the option to flash a package that will block B&N updates by using the SQLite method
        • update_disable.zip - You can also download, and flash this using CWM at any time to block B&N updates.
        • update_enable.zip - If you need to unblock B&N updates at any time, you can flash this file using CWM to restore the update function.
    • Can I change the stock keyboard -
      • Yes, some of the best known keyboard apps have all been tested to work. Just follow these directions to install the keyboard.
        • If you don't have the paid app "Root Explorer," you can download the free app "ES File Explorer." Once you open "ES File Explorer," you will need to go into settings to set root access, mount file system, and change the home directory to "/"
          1. Download/Install the keyboard that you want to use from the market or Amazon Appstore
          2. Open your explorer app, and navigate to /data/app
          3. Locate the apk file for the keyboard that you just installed
            • Examples: com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk or com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk
          4. Long press on the apk file, and select "Move" or "Cut"
          5. Navigate to /system/app
            • If using Root Explorer, select "Mount R/W"
          6. Now select paste to move the apk file into the /system/app folder
          7. Exit your explorer app, and reboot the device
          8. After the device reboots, open the app "NookColor Tools"
          9. Select "Choose Keyboard" and select the keyboard that you just installed
            • If installing Swiftkey or Swype, you can now open the app to finish the install process

I did this mod from a request in another thread, LINK. It is a port of “revcompgeek’s” work under the Nook tablet section, HERE. The mod removes the QuickNav bar when you presss the n button, making it like a standard home button, and makes the back and menu buttons permanent.

I did not include it in the MN package because I am not sure how many people would want it, and it has not been tested long enough. Just simply flash the Statusbar_mod.zip file with CWM, it will take about 5 minutes to boot back up after flashing since it is a framework file. You will need to use the app “AnyCut” or “BetterCut” to create a link to the “Shop” and “Library.” If you don’t like it, simply flash the Statusbar_stock.zip file to return to stock. If you flash a new version of MN 5 after applying the Statusbar_mod.zip, you will need to reapply the Statusbar_mod.zip file again to regain it.

*UPDATE*
I noticed that "AnyCut" is currently missing from the market, and since the app was free in the market, I have attached it below.

Attachments

• com.appdroid.anycut-1.apk
    31.3 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

MassiveAttack

Aug 7, 2009
DFW
Great!

Are there any of the limitations I've read about (read-to-me, free in-store reading) with regards to rooting 1.4.1, or are those now worked around?

Reactions: apache64guy

GMPOWER

Jul 29, 2010
Great!

Are there any of the limitations I've read about (read-to-me, free in-store reading) with regards to rooting 1.4.1, or are those now worked around?

Around 4,000 people have kindly tested different versions over the last two months, and everything should be working properly. The key step to follow in the directions, is step 4 under “Before you begin,” You must download all your B&N content before you continue, or you run the risk of losing all access to B&N content.

I don’t remember there ever being an issue with read-to-me, I remember there being touchscreen issues with kids books in the early versions of MN 4. A handful of people did test the in-store reading function, and reported that it worked fine.

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Dalingrin 090111 OC kernel with manualnooter-5.02.12.zip

I don't need apps2sd. Can I use manualnooter-5.02.12.zip and then install Dalingrin 090111 OC kernel?

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
success!

This is how I got 1.4.1 going from BN1.3 with MN:

I am running BN1.3 with MN4.6.16. I have CWM 3.0.2.8 on a bootable sd and have made a backup.

Instead of restoring to stock and then upgrading to 1.4.1, I I used the 1.4.1 image from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21203895&postcount=129 and then apply MN5.02.12

Before install 1.4.1, I wipe/data and /cache then install 1.4.1.
Did another wipe/data.

Since I have an old NC with the 5gb partition, I can continue to use CWM 3.0.2.8.

After rooting BN1.4.1, if I am unhappy, I can just restore my old BN1.3 backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: w4rbytez

MassiveAttack

Aug 7, 2009
DFW
Around 4,000 people have kindly tested different versions over the last two months, and everything should be working properly. The key step to follow in the directions, is step 4 under “Before you begin,” You must download all your B&N content before you continue, or you run the risk of losing all access to B&N content.

I don’t remember there ever being an issue with read-to-me, I remember there being touchscreen issues with kids books in the early versions of MN 4. A handful of people did test the in-store reading function, and reported that it worked fine.

I had been following the thread about the 1.3 firmware, and I saw the pre-releases for the 1.4.1 firmware had some issues. I'm thrilled this will work--maybe my wife will let me "borrow" her nook now :D

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
So let see if I have this correct:
I am running BN1.3 with MN4.6.16. I have CWM 3.0.2.8 on a bootable sd and have made a backup.

Instead of restoring to stock and then upgrading to 1.4.1, I want to use the 1.4.1 image from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21203895&postcount=129 and then apply MN5.02.12

Since I have an old NC with the 16gb partition, I assume that I can continue to use CWM 3.0.2.8.

After rooting BN1.4.1, if I am unhappy, I can just restore my old BN1.3 backup. Do I have everything correct?

Probably want to get the multiupload mirror in this post instead... rapidshare has gone horrible as of late... IMHO of course.

iraqmilner

Mar 12, 2009
Boone
Works like a charm!! Thanks very much! Question for you guys: In your opinion what is the best way to block OTA updates?

gsutton

Jan 24, 2011
East Tennessee
Market Not Loading

Everything went perfectly with the MN'ing, but when I try to go to Market, Gmail, Talk, etc, the NC tries to open Market or Google service but then immediately closes. Many attempts yield same results. Any ideas are welcomed.

Last edited:

Anemailname

Nov 21, 2011
Ohio
Works like a charm!! Thanks very much! Question for you guys: In your opinion what is the best way to block OTA updates?

To block OTA updates, I used SQLite Editor with the instructions below from "Mark"
I can't find this post anywhere and have no idea where I got it, if you are Mark..THANK YOU! and post a link to the original so we can find you! <G>:D

Worked perfectly for me. I've attached the text file so you can save it instead of trying to read the forum, it takes a bit but not as much time as you'd think.
The $3 is well worth it!

:::This is a one-time thing, and doesn't require revising it as new updates come out, as some other methods do (e.g., pushing modified build.props files down). Those are completely free, but a fair bit more complicated, and have to be redone every time a new update is released by B&N.

1) Go to Extras, open the Android Market, tap on the magnifying glass, and search for SQLite Editor. It will cost you <$3.

You don't need the companion product, Root Explorer, at all, that others have mentioned, so you can save some $$$ if you want (4 bucks, I think). It's actually quicker not to even use Root Explorer.

2) Buy and install SQLite. If you're running auto-nootered, you'll need to shut your Nook off and restart it afterwards. That's because the Extras screen info is cached, and not updated dynamically, so you'll never see any newly loaded Apps until you reboot.

3) After powering back up, go to Extras and click on SQLite. It will scan your entire Nook and find every SQL database file there. Even the hidden ones. It only takes ~10 seconds.

4) Scroll down to DeviceManagerService, and tap on it. Then tap on devicemanager.db.

5) Tap on the "registry" entry. It's easier now if you rotate to landscape, so you can see more of the fields in each entry.

6) All the entries in this table start with "com.bn.device....". Look for the one that's labeled '...fota.mode" at the end.

7) In the far right Value column, you'll see "Auto". Tap on that to select it. Then go down to the Status Bar at the bottom, and tap the Menu button (3 horizontal lines), and pick Edit Field.

8) You'll then see a black screen with one entry, the field editing form. You should see the field name of "value" there, and its contents will be "auto". If it turned out that your selection picked some other field (they are pretty small!), don't panic! :smileywink: Just go back and retry until you get the right one.

9) Tap on "auto" and the keyboard will come up. Backspace to delete the current contents, and enter "manual" in its place. Then tap Done. Then tap Save. Until you tap Save, you've changed nothing, so poking about is fairly safe. You may see a message about granting super-user permissions, which is normal.

10) You can now exit out of SQLite if you like (it's not necessary), but you're not quite done yet, so don't enable WiFi immediately. To make sure that the system is using the settings you just modified, you need to force it to reload and "see" them. So just power you Nook off and back on. After it reboots, it will use your new settings from then on. That's it.

Walla! You're all set. Auto-updates will no longer be pushed down to your Nook. However, updates you manually sideload wll still work. If you decide at some point you'd like auto-updating to work again, just go back in and re-enable it by changing "manual" to "auto".

~~

While the length and detail of the instructions above may make this look like it's more complicated than it really is, I'd rather err of the side of accuracy than leave something "obvious" out. It really doesn't take more than 2 minutes to do, and most could probably figure it out on their own, if they really needed to. The one thing they might overlook is the need to reboot afterwards, which isn't necessarily obvious.

- Mark

Reactions: dtbrewer

framitz

May 1, 2011
RSM, CA

I flashed CWM to internal memory once I had everything to my liking.
From past experience this will block the OTA update.

It is a minor issue to flash back to stock in order to upgrade the next time B&N does an update.

This may not be the right way, but it is easy, a lot easier than other methods IMHO.

waxlabo

Jan 3, 2011
i upgraded to 1.4.1 but after i run manualnooter 5.02.12 i am just stuck at read forever screen on reboot.

fpga_guy

Feb 7, 2011
Watching ABC.com show problems

Running BN1.4.1 with MN5 latest. The show NCIS comes through fine. But the ABC shows (eg Castle) causes the browser Dolphin HD to FC.

Any idea what is causing it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS IS FOR 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and 1.4.3 ONLY - Please don't quote the first post.

As of October 31 2013, the Nook Color with Froyo is dead in the water, as far as the Google Play store is concerned. Google updated to Google Play Services 4.0, and with it killed off the API support for Android 2.2 Froyo. That means that almost all apps being produced or updated since then will not support Froyo. If you look up Angry Birds on the Play Store website, you will see that the minimum system requirements are Android 2.3 and up.
    • What it does:
      • Permanently Enable ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs Busybox
      • Installs Softkeys
      • Installs Zeam Launcher
      • Installs B&N HomeLauncher
      • Installs HomeCatcher
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
      • Installs Live Wallpapers
      • Installs Custom Boot Animation
      • Fix to Allow update to Adobe Flash and Air
      • App Auto Install (Open up manualnooter-5.xx.xx.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • uRamdisk - Enable permanent ADB Access
      • /system/build.prop - Fingerprint change
      • download.db - Fixes Market "Download Unsuccessful" issues
      • services.jar - Fixes apps2sd

• Changes:
      • August 20, 2012 -
        • Updated Adobe Flash to version 11.1.111.10
        • Moved Adobe Air from the Data partition, to the System partition. This is to fix the "Read-To-Me" playback error.
        • Fixed the missing text in the "NookColor Tools" app
        • Introduced versions that disable B&N updates, by utilizing the SQLite method
        • Introduced incremental updates, so that you can flash only the changes that were made in the upgrade
      • February 19, 2012 - Fixed script that deleted the kernel image, and left you stuck at "Read Forever"
      • February 12, 2012 - Initial release

• Before you begin:
      1. You must do a complete wipe before installing this package.
      2. If you want to update to 1.4.3 - Instructions HERE
      3. You must already have a registered Nook Color
      4. YOU MUST DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR B&N CONTENT BEFORE YOU CONTINUE, OR YOU RUN THE RISK OF LOSING ALL ACCESS TO B&N CONTENT
      5. You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, Etc. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration use that one for this process.
      6. You must have a bootable ClockWorkMod version 3.2.0.1 SD card: HERE - Use Win32DiskImager to flash this image to your SD card LINK
        • OR emmc CWM Recovery Installed
      7. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.
      8. If you don't have enough posts to post in the development section, please go post in the Q&A section, and post with "MN5" in the heading. I don't read every post on this board, so I can get to you a little easier if you follow these guidelines.

• Let's get started:
      • If you're running a previous MN 5, you do not need to do a complete wipe.
        1. Download one of the Following ManualNooter 5 files based on your needs:
        2. If you will be flashing with apps2sd support, you will also need to download one of the following kernel images to fully utilize apps2sd support.
        3. Copy above file(s) onto your bootable CWM SD card using Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.
          • DO NOT extract the zip file. It MUST be left as-is
          • DO NOT copy the zip file into a folder. Leave it at the top directory of your card.
        4. Unplug your Nook Color from computer. (If plugged in)
        5. Turn off your Nook Color. (If turned on)
        6. Insert bootable CWM SD card with ManualNooter into your Nook Color.
        7. Turn on your Nook Color
          • If using bootable CWM SD card this should boot you directly into recovery
          • If using emmc CWM Recovery instead of SD card CWM Recovery, boot to recovery.
        8. When CWM boots select:
          • install zip from sdcard (Volume down 4 times, then n)
          • choose zip from sdcard (Volume down 1 time, then n)
          • manualnooter-5.xx.xx.zip (Hit volume up until you get to it, then n)
          • Confirm that you really want to run the update
            • Selecting this indicates that you take responsibility for your own actions.
        9. Wait patiently and follow onscreen directions
          • If you flashed apps2sd file, now would be the time to flash the kernel for full support.
          • Remove bootable CWM card from Nook Color and select reboot
          • If you get "Install Failed" after rebooting out of CWM this can be normal. Just reboot again.
        10. After reboot and unlocking your device select Zeam Launcher.
        11. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service/Sign In.
          • Exit out of the market, wait a couple minutes for Gapps to sync everything up, and market to update
          • When the market icon has changes, open it again to accept terms of conditions again for the updated market.
          • You may not have to Accept Terms and Service or Sign In if you're updating from a previous MN version.
          • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted.
        12. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the Nook Color Tools App.
          • Uncheck the top box, then recheck the box again
        13. (OPTIONAL) To restore the SD card to a "usable" state
          • Insert bootable CWM card into Nook Color
          • Go to Settings > Device Info > SD card > UnMount > Format
          • This will wipe your SD card of all MN/CWM bootable abilities. If you use this you will have to reflash the SD card for future MN releases if you don't flash CWM to your emmc.
        14. If you are upgrading from manualnooter-5.01.21, or earlier:
          • You need to perform the market limited visibility steps found below
          • If the market dies on you after performing those steps:
            1. Go into manage applications
            2. Select Market
            3. Uninstall updates
            4. Open market and accept user agreement
            5. Exit market to let it update itself
            6. Open market and accept user agreement

• How-To Video
    • Known issues without solutions:
      • Network Location isn't enabled -
        • Signature Issue -
      • News and Weather app/widget -
        • Reliant on network location -

• Known issues and solutions:
      • Google Search widget crashes - This is an issue with the NC network location
        • Start the Google Search app
        • Press the "Menu" button
        • Select "Search settings"
        • Uncheck the box next to "Use My Location"
      • Read-To-Me playback problem -
        • If you have upgraded to manualnooter-5.08.20
          • Open Manage Applications
          • Select "All"
          • Locate and select "Adobe AIR"
          • Exit back to the launcher, and select the "Play Store"
          • Search for "Adobe AIR"
        • If you have not upgraded to manualnooter-5.08.20
          • Flash one of the incremental update files with CWM to update to manualnooter-5.08.20
          • Open the "Play Store"
          • Search for "Adobe AIR"
      • ROM Manager file selection -
        • After selecting "Install ROM from SD Card" you can't select a file to flash
          • Select "All"
          • Locate "ROM Manager"
          • Search for "ROM Manager"
      • YouTube won't play HD files
        • Older versions of YouTube allowed you to select "HQ" High Quality playback
          • Select "All"
          • Locate "YouTube"
          • Search for "YouTube"
      • IMEI Force Close -
        • There is no randomly generated IMEI in this version - This can be fixed by using the IMEI Generator HERE
      • Calendar sync -
        • Calendar does not sync properly with multiple calenders linked to your google account. Simply use one of the many free alternative calendar apps.
      • Market has limited visibility - This is a known tablet issue, not just a Nook Color one.
        1. Start Nook Color Tools
        2. Select the "All Settings" button
        3. Unplug your Nook Color from computer. (If Plugged in.)
        4. Choose "Manage Applications" from the list
        5. Select the "All" tab
        6. Scroll down to "Market" and select it
        7. Tap "Force stop"
        8. Tap "Clear cache"
        9. Tap the back button if you have SoftKeys running, else swipe right to left on the status bar at the bottom of the screen (from the clock to the book icon)
        10. Scroll up to "Google Services Framework" and select it
        11. Tap "Clear data"
        12. Tap "OK"
        13. Tap "Force stop"
        14. Press the n button to return to your launcher
        15. Start Market
        16. At the "An error has occurred" message, tap "OK"
        17. Hold your power button to turn off your Nook Color from the menu
        18. Turn your Nook Color back on and give it a moment to find your WiFi connection
        19. Start Market again, and the problem is resolved

• Complete Wipe:
      • Flash back to clean stock rom
        • This will not work if you're using emmc ClockWorkMod Recovery
        • You must do both parts to completely wipe clean your Nook Color

• Thanks To:
      • thespotlite from Android Creative Syndicate - How-To Video
      • bpk - SoftKeys
      • MrSiir - adbWireless
      • Gojimi - HomeCatcher
      • Suteru - Boot Animation
      • Ben74 - NookColor Tools
      • HamNCheese - B&N HomeLauncher
      • Michael Bentz - Zeam Launcher
      • pokey9000 - Original Nooter that started the AutoNooter and ManualNooter projects.
      • GabrialDestruir - Borrowed install instructions
      • Dalingrin - OC kernel
        • Please Note: If I'm using your app within ManualNooter or AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.
    • Frequently Asked Questions:
      • Can i update Adobe Flash and Air -
        • Yes, the Adobe boot loop fix is applied with MN 5
      • Does this block OTA updates -
        • Starting with ManualNooter-5.08.20 you now have the option to flash a package that will block B&N updates by using the SQLite method
          • update_disable.zip - You can also download, and flash this using CWM at any time to block B&N updates.
          • update_enable.zip - If you need to unblock B&N updates at any time, you can flash this file using CWM to restore the update function.
      • Can I change the stock keyboard -
        • Yes, some of the best known keyboard apps have all been tested to work. Just follow these directions to install the keyboard.
          • If you don't have the paid app "Root Explorer," you can download the free app "ES File Explorer." Once you open "ES File Explorer," you will need to go into settings to set root access, mount file system, and change the home directory to "/"
            1. Download/Install the keyboard that you want to use from the market or Amazon Appstore
            2. Open your explorer app, and navigate to /data/app
            3. Locate the apk file for the keyboard that you just installed
              • Examples: com.touchtype.swiftkey-1.apk or com.swype.android.inputmethod-1.apk
            4. Long press on the apk file, and select "Move" or "Cut"
            5. Navigate to /system/app
              • If using Root Explorer, select "Mount R/W"
            6. Now select paste to move the apk file into the /system/app folder
            7. Exit your explorer app, and reboot the device
            8. After the device reboots, open the app "NookColor Tools"
            9. Select "Choose Keyboard" and select the keyboard that you just installed
              • If installing Swiftkey or Swype, you can now open the app to finish the install process

I did this mod from a request in another thread, LINK. It is a port of “revcompgeek’s” work under the Nook tablet section, HERE. The mod removes the QuickNav bar when you presss the n button, making it like a standard home button, and makes the back and menu buttons permanent.

I did not include it in the MN package because I am not sure how many people would want it, and it has not been tested long enough. Just simply flash the Statusbar_mod.zip file with CWM, it will take about 5 minutes to boot back up after flashing since it is a framework file. You will need to use the app “AnyCut” or “BetterCut” to create a link to the “Shop” and “Library.” If you don’t like it, simply flash the Statusbar_stock.zip file to return to stock. If you flash a new version of MN 5 after applying the Statusbar_mod.zip, you will need to reapply the Statusbar_mod.zip file again to regain it.

*UPDATE*
    I noticed that "AnyCut" is currently missing from the market, and since the app was free in the market, I have attached it below.
    Yes, I have the unknown sources checked. I will look into the 1mobile.com for apps and will check into how to side load apps from another device. Thanks for all the help!

The problem that you are experiencing does not appear to have anything to do with the ManualNooter package, the problem is that the factory Nook Color software is running Froyo 2.2.1. As I said in the original post,
    "As of October 31 2013, the Nook Color with Froyo is dead in the water, as far as the Google Play store is concerned. Google updated to Google Play Services 4.0, and with it killed off the API support for Android 2.2 Froyo. That means that almost all apps being produced or updated since then will not support Froyo. If you look up Angry Birds on the Play Store website, you will see that the minimum system requirements are Android 2.3 and up."

What this mean is that all apps produced or updated after October 31, 2013 will not support android 2.2. Froyo. When you look up any app in the play store from a desktop computer, you will see under the "Additional information" tab that it requires Android "2.3 and up." As of March 2015, Froyo only accounts for 0.4% of all active android devices

When it comes to sideloading, this problem will not go away. Part of the installation process will be to check what version of Android you are running, and then won't install. If you were to find the old version of the apps, they would install, but the time to find the right older version might be a consuming process.

What options does this leave you with? You could install one of the versions of CyanogenMod that has the support. If you were to install CM7, you would end up with the minimum Android Gingerbread 2.3 to allow you to install most basic apps. Android Gingerbread 2.3, only makes up 6.9% of all active Android devices, so I can't imagine Android support to continue much more than a year for this version. CyanogenMod 9 would get you to Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0. That version of Android only makes up 5.9% of all active devices, so I can't imagine Android supporting it much longer. By moving up to CyanogenMod 10, you will get Android Jelly Bean 4.1, this version makes up 42.6% of all Android devices, so you will get much longer support from Android, and will be able to install most all of the available apps in the play store.
    To GMPOWER:

BN has released the 1.4.2 for NookColor, do you have a new plan to update ManualNooter to support it ?

Both kernels, and packages, are 100% compatible with the 1.4.2 update, the OP has been changed to reflect this.

Here is a 1.4.2 update that can be flashed using CWM, it will keep CWM in place if you flash from internal. LINK
    I currently have CM7 installed internally. If I install this 1.4.2 rom through CWM, will my new stock nook color keep root? How can I be assured that I will not receive B&N updates? Thanks. And, if I do a OTA update block, does it have to be done immediately, does B&N shoot the updates asap?

If you have CWM installed on your device, it will install the stock 1.4.2 ROM to your device, and keep CWM on your device. To get root access of the stock 1.4.2 ROM, you will need to flash one of the MN packages using CWM. By having CWM installed on your device, it will keep the device from flashing OTA updates. Just to be safe, you can follow one of the block OTA update guides. Since this is the most up to date B&N firmware, you will have between now, and whenever they put out another update to block it.