*Near Perfect* ShinyROM [AOSP 4.4.2] KOT49H (No mods, completely stock!)

Search This thread

Enter The Nexus

Oct 28, 2012
Trapped at UCLA
ORIGINAL CREDIT TO BALDWINGUY77 OVER ON ROOTZWIKI. CHECK OUT THE ORIGINAL THREAD HERE

This ROM is Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat, build KOT49H. The ROM is built directly from source, that is, the Android source code published by Google available for download to all of us developers. The reason I say the ROM is "OTA-like" is because I make VERY few modifications to it, aside from the things that it takes to get the ROM working. I'll go into detail about those things below, but basically I just want the ROM to make your phone feel stable and shiny and new as if it has just received a new OTA update. That being said, it's clear that the landscape of Nexus devices is changing as new ones are released. Therefore, the other primary goal of this ROM is to keep our Galaxy Nexus as close to the modern Nexus design as possible. This means that I will also add in features that will still be stock, but will also make our phones as close to a current Nexus as possible.

As for how I handle the forum side of things, I'm always open to comments, questions, suggestions, requests, etc. I know that most of those things will often be in the form of criticism, but it's okay, I think I can handle it :) That being said, I do also have a life and am a college student, so I may not get to come on here ALL the time. I will check back as frequently as possible, and I'm hoping that you guys will help each other out as much as possible! Keep it friendly! :) So now for the details...

Features
Stock Android 4.4.2, build KOT49H
Source (AOSP) built kernel (boot.img)
(De)Odexed
Easily rootable (see information below)
G-Apps (GMail, Play Store, etc.) included in build along with Nexus apps
Stock browser replaced with Google Chrome
Shiny restart options - access them by holding down the power button and then long pressing on "Power Off"
All the crazy Google proprietary app stuff has been taken care off
Updated frequently
Everything works!
So what do I mean when I say "Everything works!"?
I'm sure by now you all know that when someone says that, it usually ends up not being true. This ROM is not an exception to that rule, but I can say that I've tested most of the things that would be expected to work in stock Android, such as...
WiFi Tethering (no subscription check)
Bluetooth streaming
Google account sign-in and auto-restore of apps and settings
Google Wallet
Location Services (pretty fast GPS lock in my area also)
Believe it or not, December is still a month!
Photosphere
Android beam
Photo editing with the new filters
Email
Exchange support
Like I said, the normal stuff (data, voice, hardware acceleration, etc.)
More things that aren't important enough to mention here - check out the changelog for a more comprehensive list

Installation Instructions (VERY IMPORTANT - Note: You can flash all of these ZIPs in CWM or TWRP)
ROM
1. Download the latest version of the ROM from the download post. (Also download any other files you will need to install, such as Chainfire's Superuser Root ZIP, the radios installation ZIP, the bootloader installation ZIP, etc.)
2. Put the file(s) you downloaded in step 1 on your phone's internal storage (sdcard).
3. Turn off your phone.
4. Boot into the bootloader of the phone by holding down both volume buttons and the power button simultaneously until you feel a vibration and see a large arrow that says "Start".
5. Use the volume keys to change the arrow until it says "Recovery," then press the power button to boot into recovery.
6. Because of differences in recovery types, I will make the following steps rather generic.
7. Wipe cache.
8. Wipe dalvik cache.
9. If you want to be 100% sure there are no problems, wipe data. If you are coming from another ROM or Android version, wipe data. If you do not wipe data and something goes wrong, repeat this process but wipe data - this step is not necessary if you are simply upgrading.
10. If you are updating your radios, flash FK01_FK02_Radios-signed.zip
11. If you are updating your bootloader, flash PRIMEMD04-signed.zip
12. Flash the ROM (baldwinguy77_toro_aosp...signed.zip)
13. If you are rooting, flash Chainfire's SuperSU ZIP file - this step is not necessary if you were rooted on the previous build and are simply upgrading.
14. Reboot your phone, and enjoy!

Download it noooooooowwwww: here, instant dl.

This isn't mine, if you have questions feel free to ask.

The lag can be fixed (apparently) by using a custom kernel like Mpokang.

Last edited:

ironfisted

Aug 23, 2011
I am sure this will get deleted... Xda doesn't like links to that other site....

Sent from my AOSP on Toro using Tapatalk

u89taper

Jun 7, 2012
Switched over to ShinyROM 4.3.x after running mmuzzy's ROMs for quite some time. Both devs are busy but are great with supporting their builds. If you're looking for a natural follow up to mmuzzy 4.2.2, I'd suggest Shiny 4.3.1. Like mmuzzy's ROMs, it's rock solid, close to stock and seems to be very compatible with the leaked 4.4 apps.

dx1881

Dec 11, 2010
That's the first thing I did , still a no go . global doesn't work and LTE . 3g works but is very slow

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

If you alter anything under settings ie changing from 3g to LTE after reboot you will only be able to obtain 3g. After clean install upon booting up immediately reboot to continue set up. 4g loads up everytime

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

qendadar

Feb 20, 2010
No problems with 4g here

But definitely has the graphics glitches. These are going to be present in every 4.4 for gnex until they figure it the new graphics drivers from what I've read.

Other than the graphics I haven't run into any issues. GPS works.. Not sure on Bluetooth as I don't use it. Using mpokang 1080 kernel.

tattedupboy

Jan 5, 2011
I'm not getting 4G either. I followed the steps of flashing the new radio, rebooting after the first, boot, etc., but still no 4G. Only 3G and WiFi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alton (Halo 2)

chicojd

No 4G/3G *** Because no SIM

Ok, so I don't have a SIM in this device right now. WiFi works just fine. I did have a reboot while trying to back out of Chrome tho. Still browsing, but the install and root were super easy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ORIGINAL CREDIT TO BALDWINGUY77 OVER ON ROOTZWIKI. CHECK OUT THE ORIGINAL THREAD HERE

This ROM is Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat, build KOT49H. The ROM is built directly from source, that is, the Android source code published by Google available for download to all of us developers. The reason I say the ROM is "OTA-like" is because I make VERY few modifications to it, aside from the things that it takes to get the ROM working. I'll go into detail about those things below, but basically I just want the ROM to make your phone feel stable and shiny and new as if it has just received a new OTA update. That being said, it's clear that the landscape of Nexus devices is changing as new ones are released. Therefore, the other primary goal of this ROM is to keep our Galaxy Nexus as close to the modern Nexus design as possible. This means that I will also add in features that will still be stock, but will also make our phones as close to a current Nexus as possible.

As for how I handle the forum side of things, I'm always open to comments, questions, suggestions, requests, etc. I know that most of those things will often be in the form of criticism, but it's okay, I think I can handle it :) That being said, I do also have a life and am a college student, so I may not get to come on here ALL the time. I will check back as frequently as possible, and I'm hoping that you guys will help each other out as much as possible! Keep it friendly! :) So now for the details...

Features
    Stock Android 4.4.2, build KOT49H
    Source (AOSP) built kernel (boot.img)
    (De)Odexed
    Easily rootable (see information below)
    G-Apps (GMail, Play Store, etc.) included in build along with Nexus apps
    Stock browser replaced with Google Chrome
    Shiny restart options - access them by holding down the power button and then long pressing on "Power Off"
    All the crazy Google proprietary app stuff has been taken care off
    Updated frequently
    Everything works!
    So what do I mean when I say "Everything works!"?
    I'm sure by now you all know that when someone says that, it usually ends up not being true. This ROM is not an exception to that rule, but I can say that I've tested most of the things that would be expected to work in stock Android, such as...
    WiFi Tethering (no subscription check)
    Bluetooth streaming
    Google account sign-in and auto-restore of apps and settings
    Google Wallet
    Location Services (pretty fast GPS lock in my area also)
    Believe it or not, December is still a month!
    Photosphere
    Android beam
    Photo editing with the new filters
    Email
    Exchange support
    Like I said, the normal stuff (data, voice, hardware acceleration, etc.)
    More things that aren't important enough to mention here - check out the changelog for a more comprehensive list

Installation Instructions (VERY IMPORTANT - Note: You can flash all of these ZIPs in CWM or TWRP)
    ROM
    1. Download the latest version of the ROM from the download post. (Also download any other files you will need to install, such as Chainfire's Superuser Root ZIP, the radios installation ZIP, the bootloader installation ZIP, etc.)
    2. Put the file(s) you downloaded in step 1 on your phone's internal storage (sdcard).
    3. Turn off your phone.
    4. Boot into the bootloader of the phone by holding down both volume buttons and the power button simultaneously until you feel a vibration and see a large arrow that says "Start".
    5. Use the volume keys to change the arrow until it says "Recovery," then press the power button to boot into recovery.
    6. Because of differences in recovery types, I will make the following steps rather generic.
    7. Wipe cache.
    8. Wipe dalvik cache.
    9. If you want to be 100% sure there are no problems, wipe data. If you are coming from another ROM or Android version, wipe data. If you do not wipe data and something goes wrong, repeat this process but wipe data - this step is not necessary if you are simply upgrading.
    10. If you are updating your radios, flash FK01_FK02_Radios-signed.zip
    11. If you are updating your bootloader, flash PRIMEMD04-signed.zip
    12. Flash the ROM (baldwinguy77_toro_aosp...signed.zip)
    13. If you are rooting, flash Chainfire's SuperSU ZIP file - this step is not necessary if you were rooted on the previous build and are simply upgrading.
    14. Reboot your phone, and enjoy!

Download it noooooooowwwww: here, instant dl.

This isn't mine, if you have questions feel free to ask.

The lag can be fixed (apparently) by using a custom kernel like Mpokang.
    Hey guys, a new build is now up! Check out all of the info below:

This build is a very focused one, but I think you all will be pleased with it :) Through a lot of collaboration between RW-1, deVorteX (who wrote almost all of the actual code), the_metalspring and myself, this build includes a lot of new fixes for mobile data instability on toro. Basically, those of you who have had problems with switching between different network types may find that to no longer be the case! Huge, huge, huge thanks to the people mentioned above; thank them before you thank me :) So to prevent getting too detailed, just check out the installation instructions below, download the ROM, and check it out! Enjoy and leave your feedback here as always! :)

Installation Instructions
    1. Download desired ZIP files (ROM, SuperSU*, mods, etc.) and place on internal storage.
    2. Reboot to the latest version of your preferred custom recovery (CWM or TWRP).
    3. Wipe cache.
    4. Wipe dalvik cache.
    5. **OPTIONAL** Wipe data/factory reset (will erase user data like apps and saved games, etc., but may fix strange bugs).
    6. Flash ROM.
    7. **OPTIONAL** Flash other desired ZIPs (SuperSU, mods, etc.).
    8. Reboot.
    9. Enjoy!

ShinyROM_toro_aosp_010714-005942-signed.zip
    MD5: fe37412a2d5b1f90d00fa81df84f1e7e

1/7/14 CHANGES
    • Enhanced mobile data stability - problems switching between WiFi, 3G, 4G, etc. addressed
    • Removed some battery-sucking network operations from previous builds
    1/20/14 Build Information

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that there is a new, official build available! :) Check out the information below.

I'm pretty excited for this one because we are getting very close to the end of our search for data reliability. Before I go on, I have to give a huge thanks to:
    • deVorteX, who has written most of the code for these data fixes and done a huge amount of troubleshooting with the data issues
    • All of my testing crew, including the official group and others in the thread
    ​As I think most of you know, I no longer have a Galaxy Nexus that I can use to test these kinds of things, so development could potentially be a lot more challenging. Luckily, I have an awesome group of testers who are always willing to test and good at giving feedback and bug reports, so development is still as easy as ever! :)

The only thing new with this build is the inclusion of more data reliability bug fixes. Toro is an extremely difficult phone to work with in this area for multiple reasons, so any improvement is a big stride. This has been through testing and the results look promising, so I'm excited to see what everyone else thinks. Grab it after reading the installation instructions, and note that there is a download mirror there as our server is being a little slow right now. Other than that, please leave all of your feedback as always! And thank you so, so much for the continued support! :D

Installation Instructions
    1. Download desired ZIP files (ROM, SuperSU*, mods, etc.) and place on internal storage.
    2. Reboot to the latest version of your preferred custom recovery (CWM or TWRP).
    3. Wipe cache.
    4. Wipe dalvik cache.
    5. **OPTIONAL** Wipe data/factory reset (will erase user data like apps and saved games, etc., but may fix strange bugs).
    6. Flash ROM.
    7. **OPTIONAL** Flash other desired ZIPs (SuperSU, mods, etc.).
    8. Reboot.
    9. Enjoy!

*As of 1/20/14, the latest version of SuperSU is v1.91.

ShinyROM_toro_aosp_012014-190912-signed.zip (Mirror #1)
    MD5: b3793e7486ac6534f2a40022cbf6b6a6

1/20/14 CHANGES
    • Final stage of major data improvements - should see increased reliability across the board for everyone :)
    Hey there everyone! Just wanted to let you know that the official thread is now up along with a new build! You can find them here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=50184273

Huge thanks to Enter the Nexus for all of his help thus far and to everyone else for their patience and understanding :)
    Hey everyone! I want to make an announcement about the 1/7/14 build. While it does fix quite a few data issues, it doesn't seem to fix all of them, and it also seems to have the serious side effect of breaking voice calls for some people. The pattern of behavior is that after flashing the build, voice calls work fine; however, upon traveling to some other physical location, voice calls may stop working altogether. A reboot clears up the problem, but clearly it could still be an issue. I don't think this affects everyone, but if you want to be safe, reverting to the 1/4/14 build is probably your best choice. This really seems to only be affecting those who had data switching issues before the 1/7/14 build. Sorry for that inconvenience; a lot of testing was still done for this release, but somehow that slipped through the cracks.