• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Need advice about new phone.

Search This thread

janzeer

Feb 5, 2015
Hello, I bought Samsung galaxy s7 in 2016 and its still working till now super fine. Today the screen just flickered some how and I think my phone is about to die.

I was thinking of buying a new phone.
I want it to be flat screen with aluminium frame in sides and back (glass in back is fine too) I rarely use camera too, I also want it to be super amoled. I want it to feel premium in the hand too.
Which phone you guys I should buy with these requirements?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Hello, I bought Samsung galaxy s7 in 2016 and its still working till now super fine. Today the screen just flickered some how and I think my phone is about to die.

I want it to be flat screen with aluminium frame in sides and back (glass in back is fine too) I rarely use camera too, I also want it to be super amoled. I want it to feel premium in the hand too.
Try clearing the system cache and a hard reset.
Is the battery still good? That may be the issue.
If exposed to water... that is the issue.

What price range? Any good phone generally comes with a good cam nowadays.
You can get a new Note 10+ N975U1 256gb, 12gb ram running on Q for $800. Picked one up last week, it's pristine.
I would stay away from anything running on 11 though.

Reactions: janzeer

janzeer

Feb 5, 2015

You can get a new Note 10+ N975U1 256gb, 12gb ram running on Q for $800. Picked one up last week, it's pristine.
I haven't cleared the system cache or did a hard reset in 2 years, so I am sure that would help!
The battery is still decent, I mean it's not as it used to be but it's doing fine.

What actually happens is that screen went crazy for like 10 sec (it flickered and shows lines and shaky pictures, then I pressed the power button and it won't back to normal) this is the first time this incident happens to me since I bought the phone. The phone is actually a beast, never lag, and feels premium, If there is still a fresh new one in the market I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

I am not sure about the price, to be honest, I think your suggestion is very good, I really lean to Samsung, But I don't like Note's :-(

I just want something like my current S7 (None edge) with let's say a bigger battery and a bigger screen.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I haven't cleared the system cache or did a hard reset in 2 years, so I am sure that would help!
The battery is still decent, I mean it's not as it used to be but it's doing fine.

What actually happens is that screen went crazy for like 10 sec (it flickered and shows lines and shaky pictures, then I pressed the power button and it won't back to normal) this is the first time this incident happens to me since I bought the phone. The phone is actually a beast, never lag, and feels premium, If there is still a fresh new one in the market I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

I am not sure about the price, to be honest, I think your suggestion is very good, I really lean to Samsung, But I don't like Note's :-(

I just want something like my current S7 (None edge) with let's say a bigger battery and a bigger screen.
If it's not repeatable it will be harder to troubleshoot. Try what I suggested. It's long overdue a system cache clearing. If it flickers again try plugging into the charger, if it stops it's likely the battery. Check for signs of battery swelling.
Try flexing the frame, gently, as well to check for a loose connection, display or mobo failure.

The 10+ is a beast and built solid. A case is mandatory for this corner hitting brick that also loves to face plant. It doesn't seem large to me at all anymore. It's very slim 7mm, so even with a good case it doesn't seem that large.
The spen is great as a remote shutter release and smart select is very handy which I use it for a lot now. The curve screen is the nesting place for One Handed Operation plus, no waste here.
The display is gorgeous (no rounded corners) and still one of the brightest with better color rendering than most newer phones. It's a flagship phone in every sense with snappy performance and about 10+ hours SOT. The Buds+ couple seamlessly with it. It still retains its on screen navigation buttons on Q. The Galaxy Store customization on the stock variants are the best on the planet.

Lol, I'm biased as it is my weapon of choice. I picked it over the N20 Ultra for a number of reasons a week ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-193357_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-193357_One UI Home.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210927-193401_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-193401_One UI Home.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 2

janzeer

Feb 5, 2015
If it's not repeatable it will be harder to troubleshoot. Try what I suggested. It's long overdue a system cache clearing. If it flickers again try plugging into the charger, if it stops it's likely the battery. Check for signs of battery swelling.
Try flexing the frame, gently, as well to check for a loose connection, display or mobo failure.

The 10+ is a beast and built solid. A case is mandatory for this corner hitting brick that also loves to face plant. It doesn't seem large to me at all anymore. It's very slim 7mm, so even with a good case it doesn't seem that large.
The spen is great as a remote shutter release and smart select is very handy which I use it for a lot now. The curve screen is the nesting place for One Handed Operation plus, no waste here.
The display is gorgeous (no rounded corners) and still one of the brightest with better color rendering than most newer phones. It's a flagship phone in every sense with snappy performance and about 10+ hours SOT. The Buds+ couple seamlessly with it. It still retains its on screen navigation buttons on Q. The Galaxy Store customization on the stock variants are the best on the planet.

Lol, I'm biased as it is my weapon of choice. I picked it over the N20 Ultra for a number of reasons a week ago.
Will try that! Thank you, Blackhawk!
I am checking the Samsung Galaxy S10+ it is really a big leap from S7, going to give that a thought, I really like the ceramic back, ceramic frame! also, the Dynamic Amoled seems fantastic! <3
And it still has the heart monitor! :D

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
You're welcome.
Water damage is insidious and pervasive. The faster you disconnect the battery and purge it, the better the outcome. It's possible there's some light corrosion on the ribbon cable contacts, reseating them may resolve it.
A very -little- WD-40 helps. Never get any solvents around LCD displays as it can poison them.

It is possible to salvage water soaked electronics with quick action. My Buds case went straight for a full hot cup of coffee, cream and sugar. Damn thing must have been Pav Tack guided, dead center of the cup. Straight to the bottom.
I couldn't disconnect the spot welded battery but I torn it apart, flushed with RO water, then with copious amounts of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol, dried. 2 years latter it remain functional.
I drank the coffee too🤣

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Will try that! Thank you, Blackhawk!
    I am checking the Samsung Galaxy S10+ it is really a big leap from S7, going to give that a thought, I really like the ceramic back, ceramic frame! also, the Dynamic Amoled seems fantastic! <3
    And it still has the heart monitor! :D
    You're welcome.
    Water damage is insidious and pervasive. The faster you disconnect the battery and purge it, the better the outcome. It's possible there's some light corrosion on the ribbon cable contacts, reseating them may resolve it.
    A very -little- WD-40 helps. Never get any solvents around LCD displays as it can poison them.

It is possible to salvage water soaked electronics with quick action. My Buds case went straight for a full hot cup of coffee, cream and sugar. Damn thing must have been Pav Tack guided, dead center of the cup. Straight to the bottom.
    I couldn't disconnect the spot welded battery but I torn it apart, flushed with RO water, then with copious amounts of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol, dried. 2 years latter it remain functional.
    I drank the coffee too🤣