• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Need help adding custom ringtones for contacts,please read

Search This thread

Trace.Oneil

Hello,so i have been trying tnsuccessfully to add custom ringtones to my contacts on my Samsung S20 FE. I have removed most stock Samsung apps that come installed on the phone and i replaced them with the Google apps. So i have Google contacts installed instead of the Samsung contacts app. When i try to set a ringtone to a certain contact,i am not given any option to add anything beside the factory tones installed on the phone.

There is no option to add a music file at all. Does anyone know how i can work around this to set specific ringtones for each of my contacts please? I am at a loss now and dont know how to get this sorted. My phone is not rooted at all so please can someone help me sort this?

ToothFairy'

Oct 29, 2011
U have to make in Internal storage a Ringtones folder and put there whatever tunes u like. Than u should be able to customize your contacts ringtones with these tunes.

Trace.Oneil

U have to make in Internal storage a Ringtones folder and put there whatever tunes u like. Than u should be able to customize your contacts ringtones with these tunes.
Hi @ToothFairy' i actually did do that already and still i am unable to select anything other than the Samsung pre-installed tones when wanting to add to a contact

ToothFairy'

Oct 29, 2011
Install a file explorer (like ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer) and, after taping Set ringtone (first upper right 3dots on contact in question), choose that file explorer and, with it, the tune u desire.
Hope I made myself understood.
Good luck!

ToothFairy'

Oct 29, 2011
That's strange!!! It's working for me! Either with one of those two file explorers mentioned before.
Before choosing ringtone, have you tried to open that new fresh installed file explorer and "play" with it? It needs permissions to read/write on system and/or sd card. Can you see, in file explorer, the folder created i.e. "Ringtones"?

Trace.Oneil

Which file manager are you using? I have file manager + installed and still nothing as you can see in the screenshots ive added

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-112303_File Manager +.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-112303_File Manager +.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210927-112230_SecSoundPicker.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-112230_SecSoundPicker.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 6

ToothFairy'

Oct 29, 2011
... (like ES File Explorer or Solid Explorer) and, ...
On attached screenshots i used Solid Explorer.
1. tap on right 3 dots and choose Set ringtone
2. tap on opened options (in my case i used Solid Explorer)
3. select Ringtones folder that you made on Main storage or SD Card
4. choose the desired ringtone.
It's the same with ES File Explorer.

Last edited:

Trace.Oneil

On attached screenshots i used Solid Explorer.
1. tap on right 3 dots and choose Set ringtone
2. tap on opened options (in my case i used Solid Explorer)
3. select Ringtones folder that you made on Main storage or SD Card
4. choose the desired ringtone.
It's the same with ES File Explorer.
Thanks for all yottr help,i appreciate it. Now its on to my next dilemma. Figuring which system and bloat apps i can get removed with ADB. Done the basics like phone,contacts,messages etc already and replaced with the Google apps. Stuff like Bixby etc that i dont use,i want to get off too. Just not sure which i can and cant

ToothFairy'

Oct 29, 2011
What's the REAL benefit of doing all those??? It's a damn phone not a space rocket!!! It looks like u're scratching without itching!
Sorry, don't get me wrong, but I think it's a waste of time and, besides that, it looks like u're not so much of a tech savy and, for that reason, u might brick your phone or whatever.
This goes for that Samsung apps replaced with ones from Google, too! Why did you do that? What have u earned by doing this?
It tooked 3 damn days to figure it out how to assign a ringtone to a contact!
Sure, I disabled some of the apps that I know I'll never use. But from this to using adb and messing with my phone without knowing what I'm doing it's a long road.
Again, don't take it personally but I just don't understand.
Good luck.

PS: you don't need to quote me all the time if you respond after me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @ToothFairy' it seems i managed to find a way to get it working in the end. So what i had to do was select each ringtone first as the ringtone for my phone. That then adds the tones to the list and then when i go to the Google Contacts app and tap on ringtone,the ringtone i want to add for that person is there already and it allows me then to add it.